What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Nuts to timers. I just use an Immersive Engineering Pump with a lever on it. Lever on to cast, off to make ingots or whatever.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
45-60 in Beyond is the primary territory for Bauxite/Aluminum, as well as copper I need lots of.

GT-IC2 is only bad if you're playing it 'Vanilla'. I've got Advanced Machines which gives very fast variants of the Metal Former, one for each mode, which makes live infinitely easier.

I'm using Tech Reborn machinery, aiming to eventually put up a Fusion Reactor. Right now, it's all about getting rubies to get Chrome.

Can't stand RFTools myself. Just too easy to do everything with. Like the Love Child of EE, and MFR. Place block, game won. Since there's not another option that doesn't make something out of nothing, manual mining it is. Maybe an IC2 miner. Haven't ever used one of those before.

Well another option for fast obsidian breaking (I just loaded up my test world to check) is the Dark Iron pickaxe when fully upgraded it breaks obsidian at about the speed of an iron pick on stone.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmmm... now that sounds like an excellent option. And doable, which is nice. That can be enchanted as well I believe... Definitely have to do that then I think.

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm... now that sounds like an excellent option. And doable, which is nice. That can be enchanted as well I believe... Definitely have to do that then I think.

If you get lucky and find a quark eff. 5 tome you can put eff. 6 on the pick, and then it shreds through obsidian. Plus, spoon upgrade.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
@KingTriaxx - What does the IE pump accomplish that a lever over the faucet won't. Still on my first pot of coffee if this ends up being a really stupid question...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I assume you mean a lever on a clock? Because a single redstone signal is the same as right clicking a faucet. The IE pump works faster than the faucet, and unlike a clock will neither shut the faucet off half-way through the pouring process, nor wait to start again if the block in the basin finishes between ticks of the clock. As soon as the block is gone, the furnace is pumping more in.

More so, I can also reverse a pump, and drain an entire tank into the smeltery, instead of having to manually bucket it in. And all without any power, since the IE pump doesn't use it while draining from an inventory.

Even more irritating, the 1.10 smeltery won't even melt Invar Blend.

EnderIO's Item Buffer, with a cost of just 4 Iron, 4 Electrical Steel and a chest, completely blows the Hopper, and even the Buildcraft Chute so completely out of the water it's not even funny. It can Push/Pull to the same direction and do so in any direction. You can put it on top of a chest, and pull up, and then push up, as opposed to the hopper only being able to go down or the sides, and only from above. It's also insanely fast at doing so. As far as I can tell, it'll instantly move stacks.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm trying to fill a much, much much bigger pool, but this could be what I was looking for!
Did you ever find out if this worked for you by the way @Drbretto?

Unrelatedly: I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but the greenhouse glass from Actually Additions DOES appear to work somewhat on Ender Lillies - it doesn't apply a bonemeal effect, so they don't regress, and it does seem to make sure they mature quicker - it certainly doesn't feel as slow as usual anyway.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Unrelatedly: I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but the greenhouse glass from Actually Additions DOES appear to work somewhat on Ender Lillies - it doesn't apply a bonemeal effect, so they don't regress, and it does seem to make sure they mature quicker - it certainly doesn't feel as slow as usual anyway.

It only works for water, I believe. I never got a chance to actually try it, but I do remember resigning myself to the idea that I was just going to have to suck it up and do it manually.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It only works for water, I believe. I never got a chance to actually try it, but I do remember resigning myself to the idea that I was just going to have to suck it up and do it manually.
Ah bugger. I wonder if part of that is because of the source-forming behaviour of water - that does half the job for you. In the video I watched, he used lava, but it was a VERY small pool.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ah bugger. I wonder if part of that is because of the source-forming behaviour of water - that does half the job for you. In the video I watched, he used lava, but it was a VERY small pool.

To be fair, I never actually got a chance to try it. I don't remember the details, it's been a minute, I just remember whatever I had read about it shot my idea down. But, I could have been wrong. I had been too busy doing the ice replacement stuff and hadn't gotten to the trim yet (which is where I needed the lava)

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
I discovered that Actually Additions Fish 'n' chips are incredibly OP, only taking 1 cooked fish, 1 baked potato (cut into fries using a knife) 1 paper cup (3 paper), they restore nearly a full hunger bar and saturation bar, and the only "downside" is that you get the cup back which can waste inventory slots

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I discovered that Actually Additions Fish 'n' chips are incredibly OP, only taking 1 cooked fish, 1 baked potato (cut into fries using a knife) 1 paper cup (3 paper), they restore nearly a full hunger bar and saturation bar, and the only "downside" is that you get the cup back which can waste inventory slots

That sounds OK to me, actually. If you think that's too much, you should try the coffee :p It's all that plus a potion effect based on your ingredients, that can last up to 2:30 and has multiple charges. Full hunger bar, full saturation, and you can drink it any time, even if you're full.

I'm ok with all that, though. That recipe gets you to fish, farm and cook, without being overly cumbersome.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
That sounds OK to me, actually. If you think that's too much, you should try the coffee :p It's all that plus a potion effect based on your ingredients, that can last up to 2:30 and has multiple charges. Full hunger bar, full saturation, and you can drink it any time, even if you're full.

I'm ok with all that, though. That recipe gets you to fish, farm and cook, without being overly cumbersome.

The thing with coffe is that it can only be consumed 4 times per inventory slot, and can't be refilled until after it's all used up. Fish and chips on the other hand fill up a lot and don't take much effort. As a comparison, let's look at the nether wings From Pam's Harvestcraft which restore about the same amount, to make those, you need hot sauce, which is garlic, salt, chili peppers, and vinegar, which is 1 grape juice which is two grapes, and then you need blaze powder so you have to hunt a respectable amount of blazes unless you have a spawner, and then you need cooked chicken which isn't to bad, unless you decide to go the tofiken route which takes flour, firm tofu (so soy) cooking oil, and 1 other thing that I can't think of off the top of my head. and as I've already stated, to make the Fish 'n' chips you need 1 cooked fish, so no issue (especially once you get the fisher from AA), 2 fries, which is just a potato and a knife in a crafting grid for both, and 1 paper cup which is three paper, and you get the cup back so three sugar cane/rice can get you (theoretically) infinite food (with those other resources)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think it's all in how you like to play, too.

To me, the hunger aspect is a side thing. It's there because it's survival mode and you gotta eat (and more accurately, it's a good excuse to take a break once in a while because I don't know about the rest of you, but I can go off into a trance for hours playing this game sometimes. I feel like needing to stop and sort and eat and all that is healthy for my brain, lol). If I was playing vanilla, I'd just automate the production of baked potatoes anyway.

But, if you're out there trying to do a more realistic farm simulation with a greater focus on the survival aspects, I can agree that it's a bit OP.

However, AA, in my experience, seems to be designed directly around easing the chores of early to mid game minecraft, without completely eliminating them, and that seems totally fitting. In fact, I was not aware it even existed and that's something I will actively seek out next time I play.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
I think it's all in how you like to play, too.

To me, the hunger aspect is a side thing. It's there because it's survival mode and you gotta eat (and more accurately, it's a good excuse to take a break once in a while because I don't know about the rest of you, but I can go off into a trance for hours playing this game sometimes. I feel like needing to stop and sort and eat and all that is healthy for my brain, lol). If I was playing vanilla, I'd just automate the production of baked potatoes anyway.

But, if you're out there trying to do a more realistic farm simulation with a greater focus on the survival aspects, I can agree that it's a bit OP.

However, AA, in my experience, seems to be designed directly around easing the chores of early to mid game minecraft, without completely eliminating them, and that seems totally fitting. In fact, I was not aware it even existed and that's something I will actively seek out next time I play.
fair enough, and I agree, one of the packs I play (All the mods 3) just added Spice of life and I was quick to disable that

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019

The greenhouse glass probably seems to work by ensuring that the ender lily grows as soon as it's internal cooldown on allowing a growth tick runs out.