What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
Actuality Additions has a crafting table on a stick, made with a crafting table on a stick. It's a portable crafting table made with a crafting table and a sign. That is my favorite thing from Actuality Additions.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
I

ImportedExported

Not a discovery, although it is something I'm proud of myself for doing:

I just finished making a Tier 8 Draconic Evolution Reactor. So, I'm pretty happy. Also finished up a Wither woot farm.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Trying to Open a Project Red Backpack in the latest version of Beyond is a guaranteed CTD? No, I guess that's not cool.

Ah, the hilarious speed of the Tech Reborn Blast Furnace when compared to the IE one. That's better.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Pfft, scrub. Ever seen a RotaryCraft blast furnace with a ChromatiCraft 128x tile accelerator on it? Might not be able to make more than steel, but the speeds are blistering.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Item per tick? Because the old Nuclear Craft Nuclear Furnace could do that. Only Translocators were fast enough to actually allow one stack of items to go through at a time. And on a single piece of Thorium.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't measured it, but I wouldn't doubt it. Also, RoC pnuematic item pumps; put a little power into em, and they can suck up multiple stacks per tick with no maximum.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Fair enough. Last time I used one was back in Modular Mayhem, to process huge quantities of Railcraft Poor Ores.

So, it seems that in Beyond in the Mining world, there are enormous nodules of obsidian, with Shiny and Iridium ore buried inside. But it's very high up in the world. I'm not sure why, but it takes a long time even with a fast hammer to mine through it.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, obsidian tends to be a pain in the arse to mine manually unless you've got Mekanism. Though, if you happen to have an exchanger handy, you could just replace the obsidian with something like dirt. It'd cost a lotta juice to do a big area, but it'd save you a tonne of time.

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using a TiCo Hammer, place a block of coal next to the Obsidian, then mine the coal. Since they are the same hardness, they should all break simultaneously, allowing you to chew through large swaths of Obsidian with ease.

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you're using a TiCo Hammer, place a block of coal next to the Obsidian, then mine the coal. Since they are the same hardness, they should all break simultaneously, allowing you to chew through large swaths of Obsidian with ease.
Really? Why would Coal be the same hardness as Obsidian? That would require some weird special handling for tools. (Not disputing, just looking for clarification)

I know you used to be able to mine adjacent blocks to get obsidian easily but I thought that was plugged years ago.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Okay, it sort of works. A 3x3 of Obsidian with a coal block in the middle causes one of the pieces of obsidian to break off. Which while not as great as you'd want, is still kind of hilariously faster than breaking a bunch of obsidian.

Maybe I'll look into a Rod of Shifting Crust from Botania.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Really? Why would Coal be the same hardness as Obsidian? That would require some weird special handling for tools. (Not disputing, just looking for clarification)

I know you used to be able to mine adjacent blocks to get obsidian easily but I thought that was plugged years ago.

I thought it was fixed ages ago too, but our server admin used this to get our initial supply of obsidian in Beyond (granted, not the current version). I'm not sure why a block of coal has such high hardness, but it's an interesting way to make shelters blast proof in the early game. Then once you're set up a bit, you can replace your walls and turn them into steel or power.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. Last time I used one was back in Modular Mayhem, to process huge quantities of Railcraft Poor Ores.

So, it seems that in Beyond in the Mining world, there are enormous nodules of obsidian, with Shiny and Iridium ore buried inside. But it's very high up in the world. I'm not sure why, but it takes a long time even with a fast hammer to mine through it.

You're probably safe enough to ignore those nodes until your auto mining method of choice gets them for you. They're put in by Tech Reborn from what I can tell and both Platinum and Irridium are only used very late game in that mod (if you even bother climbing the hellish grind that is a Gregtech inspired IC2 tech tree), the other Platinum (Shiny) user uses bugger-all of it til late game as well. You'll probably be quarrying long before you need to make a single resonant machine upgrade.
Also at the height they are at,unless building a fairly extensive underground area, you don't really need to mine at that level even bauxite\aluminium spawns are at their greatest concentration slightly lower.
But other than that yeah obsidian is a bitch but the RFtools builder is easy to get very early game and powering it long enough to clear out a node is pretty trivial.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
45-60 in Beyond is the primary territory for Bauxite/Aluminum, as well as copper I need lots of.

GT-IC2 is only bad if you're playing it 'Vanilla'. I've got Advanced Machines which gives very fast variants of the Metal Former, one for each mode, which makes live infinitely easier.

I'm using Tech Reborn machinery, aiming to eventually put up a Fusion Reactor. Right now, it's all about getting rubies to get Chrome.

Can't stand RFTools myself. Just too easy to do everything with. Like the Love Child of EE, and MFR. Place block, game won. Since there's not another option that doesn't make something out of nothing, manual mining it is. Maybe an IC2 miner. Haven't ever used one of those before.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

Or you can use EnderIO tanks and pump lava and water directly into your smeltery to make Obsidian. Bonus points for using a hopper under the block cast to a chest, and a timer set at 11 seconds per pulse to auto pour.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Or you can use EnderIO tanks and pump lava and water directly into your smeltery to make Obsidian. Bonus points for using a hopper under the block cast to a chest, and a timer set at 11 seconds per pulse to auto pour.

Never got the timing that precise, but I do that a lot with the Smelter. (However, I think the original question was how to get through the crunchy Obsidian to get to the chewy metal ores.)