What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Coal blocks have the same hardness (aka, blast resistance) as obsidian while taking less time to mine. Due to how TiCon hammers work, this makes gathering obsidian easier as you can place a coal block such that you can net upwards of 8 obsidian relatively easily.

I wouldn't expect this to last, however. Shall we start a pool on how many updates it takes them to nerf it? :D

Reactions: DeathOfTime

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't expect this to last, however. Shall we start a pool on how many updates it takes them to nerf it? :D
Considering I've not moved past 1.7.10, I'm not gonna be a part of this pool. But, if I were to bet, I'd say probably not soon; obsidian is only kind of useful. It takes too long to make/mine any significant amount for processing or building. Unless something massive has changed in TiCon, obsidian isn't even really useful for tools when things like alumite are easier to acquire and have greater overall usability.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I've use it regularly as a building material. Setting up a productive obsidian supply/factory is fairly easy in most packs.
True, but that usually requires some kind of machinery. In a completely isolated system, TiCon doesn't have many uses for obsidian that aren't better filled by logistically cheaper materials like alumite.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Considering I've not moved past 1.7.10, I'm not gonna be a part of this pool. But, if I were to bet, I'd say probably not soon; obsidian is only kind of useful. It takes too long to make/mine any significant amount for processing or building. Unless something massive has changed in TiCon, obsidian isn't even really useful for tools when things like alumite are easier to acquire and have greater overall usability.

I was referring to being able to place a Coal Block near Obsidian to easily mine Obsidian with tools significantly below the usual required mining level.

Assuming I read your post correctly, and this still works in 1.10.2 that is :D

Of course, you can make Obsidian with a bucket of water and a bucket of lava in a Smeltery quite easily, unless you play a pack with the recipe having been changed...

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I was referring to being able to place a Coal Block near Obsidian to easily mine Obsidian with tools significantly below the usual required mining level.

Assuming I read your post correctly, and this still works in 1.10.2 that is :D

Of course, you can make Obsidian with a bucket of water and a bucket of lava in a Smeltery quite easily, unless you play a pack with the recipe having been changed...
it still works with 1.10.2. was actually doing that in the beyond pack. found it much easier then putting it in the smeltery and pulling out obsidian. got about a stack and a half of obsidian off this thing i think was a meteor from some mod. in about the time it would have taken me to make a quarter of that in the smeltery. Even if i had built the smeltery at the lava.

i tend to do this early game. with just enough ores to build a forge for a hammer. i could likely do some automation by then. resources are still so scarce at the time that i am still having to prioritize projects.

(i seem to remember this working on AE meteors as well. haven't needed to test it. As they aren't in this pack.)

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers Construct in MC 1.10 give you the option to put a shovel in the off-hand and a Pick-axe in the main hand.
When you use the pickaxe on sand or dirt, it will use the shovel stats instead... so fast clearing with-out switching of tools.

Should work as well with Hammer+Excavator.

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
blood magic has a turret system. lol. glad i didn't try to learn how to set it up on hard core. it took my three lives to get the first one placed. still learning these, actually.
dAoTtjo.png

i've been liking turrets. ever since i had seen a mod based on them being used in a lets play. never actually used them much though. torches always negated the need for them. turrets look so much more fun then torches though.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
blood magic has a turret system. lol. glad i didn't try to learn how to set it up on hard core. it took my three lives to get the first one placed. still learning these, actually.

i've been liking turrets. ever since i had seen a mod based on them being used in a lets play. never actually used them much though. torches always negated the need for them. turrets look so much more fun then torches though.

Stupid question, what part of that image is the turret? The circular glyph on the ground?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Stupid question, what part of that image is the turret? The circular glyph on the ground?
the skeleton. the glyph is the control unit. the skeleton that walks on it is the turret. would had made more since if i had the hud on. as i don't usually play in creative mode. and wasn't then.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
dAoTtjo.png

I did NOT know this was a thing! :D Repurposed mobs for defence? NICE.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I did NOT know this was a thing! :D Repurposed mobs for defence? NICE.
turns out the sigil is there until destroyed as well. thinking popping down spawners and roofs in strategic locations with a ring of those runes might work nice. might need something to count number of skeles out though. so they don't shoot each other all the time. possibly a batch of pressure plates hooked to a or switch.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
vaccum chests for Ender IO doesn't allow anyother mods to access its inventory like ExU2's transfer nodes.

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
actual additions green house glass might not have a max range. seems line of site below it may be all it needs to work.

i have them 16 blocks above the ground. where my tree farm is. so my oaks can grow. if i didn't have auto crafting set to only use oak i might try putting jungle or spruce their. oh yeah. steve carts wouldn't work the best with those. oh well. this works. though the cart isn't fast enough. lol. hoping to fix that with more tracks and carts.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
actual additions green house glass might not have a max range. seems line of site below it may be all it needs to work.

i have them 16 blocks above the ground. where my tree farm is. so my oaks can grow. if i didn't have auto crafting set to only use oak i might try putting jungle or spruce their. oh yeah. steve carts wouldn't work the best with those. oh well. this works. though the cart isn't fast enough. lol. hoping to fix that with more tracks and carts.
I think you're right - as long as you've got line-of-sight to the sky above, and to the plant below, I believe it works. Which is nice!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Iskallium Reactors (currently in Beta) - really simple and basic, but nice looking RF generation, based around a very rare ore. Definitely not for everyone but, being a small and straightforward mod for simple RF generation in a Big Reactors-esque visual style, it suits me down to the ground :D I think it would fit particularly well in themed packs. But yeah - cool little thing :)