What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I occasionally get this crazy graphical derp:
WGmJIaS.png
Optifine bugging out no doubt... Not cool, but not the issue.
Always assumed it was the texture of some machine(s) somewhere that got stretched out and warped across the world in weird ways.
Then I by chance got close today and noticed this:
fAjSP3U.png
Seems to be made up of every conceivable texture in the game shown in miniature side by side lol... Some are even animated... :p

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
The old thing where you could get a music disk if you make a skelly shoot a creeper still works in FTB :)

With mods you can easily make a farm using this mechanic.

I have a setup that I built a while ago where I have an EnderIO powered spawner spawn creepers in a 9x9 room, then MFR conveyors funnel them and cause them to fall into a 1x3 room and survive with about half a heart left. There is an opening on each end of the room that permits line of sight but doesn't let me or mobs through. On one end is where I stand, and on the other end is a name tagged skeleton (which I appropriately named 'DJ'). The name tag means that the skeleton never despawns. I stand in the skeleton's line of sight so that he starts shooting, but since the creepers are in the line of fire, the arrow will hit and kill one of the creepers (if there are no creepers, I step aside so that I avoid being hit). A vacuum chest collects the drops.

The only thing that really stops you doing this with vanilla only is the lack of creeper spawners. If you did cheat in a vanilla creeper spawner, you could probably do it with vanilla mechanics only (use flowing water instead of MFR conveyors). Although to stay within range for a vanilla spawner to spawn mobs, you'd have to shorten the fall a bit, so I would probably give the skeleton a bow with a high level of Power, and perhaps stand further away, so that the skeleton would still be able to one-shot the creepers. Vanilla hoppers could be used instead of a vacuum chest.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I found an interesting use for Mekanism lasers. The laser can break blocks. When fired through the Laser Tractor Beam, it collects the items it breaks. It can be used for mining or farming. Here's a little sugar can farm I made using them. Just add a timer to the laser and it would be automated. The chest in the middle has a Random Things advanced item collector on the back of it to collect any sugar cane that grows 3 blocks tall since the laser tractor beam only collects the block it hits.
V7l5MBs.png

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The only thing that really stops you doing this with vanilla only is the lack of creeper spawners. If you did cheat in a vanilla creeper spawner, you could probably do it with vanilla mechanics only (use flowing water instead of MFR conveyors). Although to stay within range for a vanilla spawner to spawn mobs, you'd have to shorten the fall a bit, so I would probably give the skeleton a bow with a high level of Power,

Having done this in vanilla; regular grinder with the appropriate drop height into an arena. Spiders die instantly, pick off the zombies with a bow then walk into skele range.
Piston trapdoor allows you to shut off the mob supply then just walk in an collect the loot.
2012-01-13_235041.png

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
The old thing where you could get a music disk if you make a skelly shoot a creeper still works in FTB :)
That STILL is in vanilla, of course it does!!

I actually hate this vanilla mechanic because it doesn't make sense at all... getting a music disc if a skeleton kills a creeper with a bow... though I wouldn't mind it if you can get music discs if anyone kills a creeper with a bow, that way I can get music discs myself without having to find a skeleton first, catch it, and then find a way to lure creepers to the skeleton all without dying.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I actually hate this vanilla mechanic because it doesn't make sense at all... getting a music disc if a skeleton kills a creeper with a bow... though I wouldn't mind it if you can get music discs if anyone kills a creeper with a bow, that way I can get music discs myself without having to find a skeleton first, catch it, and then find a way to lure creepers to the skeleton all without dying.

I, uhh, maybe creepers are powered by vinyl?

I've got some truly mindblowing stuff in my collection of LPs.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered someone on the server decided to use a bc pump on the nether. To correct the ensuing lag issue they unleashed aqua imbued fire. Omg it was funny and laggy and silly and ridiculous and all things all at the same time.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Right clicking mature wheat will automatically harvest and replant. This has probably been a thing for years and i've only just noticed. Any idea which mod adds this wonderful little convenience?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It's more, i've noticed this behaviour in Infinity 1.8.1 and I was wondering which of its' mods is doing it.

I know this happens to all mature plants when planted using Agricraft Crops. It's nice to use those and an MFR Harvester without the Planter. Just set up a field once by hand, and you can have all of the Pam's Harvestcraft crops growing in one place without the headache.