What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
This explains why the tinkers construct armor is not as protective as it looks.
Personally I hate that, it makes it difficult to see how much actual protection I have if I'm combining some pieces of it with actual armor because the displayed armor value goes over 20 and the GUI doesn't show more than 20.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I learned this a while ago, but configs can completely change a mod. I user them to balance game play or just personal preference. Like I basically made a new mod out of TiCon. It just chamges the experience of a mod and is useful for modpack to make it different.
EDIT: And TiCon armor is probably my favorite kind of armor, not the best, but my favorite.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
In Regrowth, I climbed the Thaumcraft and Witching Gadgets tech tree, burned about 500 Herbia Essentia, and energized a Pure Node earlier than probably was efficient in order to jumpstart a Terraformer to get even spotty coverage of a Plains biome.

Then I looked at the Witches' Brews, messed around for five minutes working on my Brewing Skill, realized that you don't /need/ brewing skill or even a coven to run center-on-cauldron rituals, and completely overwrote most of my work. /Really/ wish I understood Witchery better -- it took a goodly amount of Altar power, even with chalk circles, but this would have gone pretty quickly even before I got a familiar.

((The recipe is Mandrake, Netherwart, Tears of the Goddess, Diamond Vapor, Diamond, Blaze Rod, Water Artichoke Globe, Season Note, Tongue of Dog. Blaze Rod and Water Artichoke may not be necessary. I think you could cast this as soon as you get a Distillery running, though it'd take some work to hit the altar power requirements (~5k?) without a Wither Skull. Much much easier than trying to get enough of a coven for the Circle Rite of Shifting Seasons, or climbing either the blood magic or thaumcraft tech trees. The splash potion version is useless, though.))

There's a /lot/ of really powerful stuff in that system if you poke at it long enough.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You don't even need the tool station actually. The crafting station works for that stuff even without it. The GUI doesn't tell you that but it works. Maybe an oversight, a bug or whatever. It probably should only activate that functionality with the tool station but it only changes the GUI. I was suspicious at first, too, but then I tried it myself.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
You don't even need the tool station actually. The crafting station works for that stuff even without it. The GUI doesn't tell you that but it works. Maybe an oversight, a bug or whatever. It probably should only activate that functionality with the tool station but it only changes the GUI. I was suspicious at first, too, but then I tried it myself.
That's odd. It always worked that way for me, and then a while ago suddenly it didn't. Maybe by coincidence I didn't place the two together for the first time...? I'll test later if I feel like it, perhap. I was using 1.8.5, I think.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered two things. First, openperipherals works with a Steve's Factory Manager item valve, and sees the in-world items. Reasonably cool, lets me use CC to automate an AE2 crystal growth contraption.

The other thing is a small mod called CC's Factory Manager. Only adds two items, a peripheral "Controller" and a cable. Cable connects inventories, controller is used to "name" inventories and then provides methods to inspect connected inventories and move items/liquids/energy between them. Should make my CC builds a little cleaner since I have more freedom placing inventories with it. Oh, and the SFM item valve works with it as well as an item inventory. Little different than the OpenPeripherals way, but still quite workable.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered two things. First, openperipherals works with a Steve's Factory Manager item valve, and sees the in-world items. Reasonably cool, lets me use CC to automate an AE2 crystal growth contraption.

The other thing is a small mod called CC's Factory Manager. Only adds two items, a peripheral "Controller" and a cable. Cable connects inventories, controller is used to "name" inventories and then provides methods to inspect connected inventories and move items/liquids/energy between them. Should make my CC builds a little cleaner since I have more freedom placing inventories with it. Oh, and the SFM item valve works with it as well as an item inventory. Little different than the OpenPeripherals way, but still quite workable.
SFM Item valve...? Haven't heard of that. :p

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
SFM Item valve...? Haven't heard of that. :p
It acts as an inventory, and any item entities in the world near to one side of it appear to be in that inventory. So you can place a hopper under it and the items disappear out of the world into the hopper, or place a hopper on top of it and items from the hopper will pop out into the world. I use one to place and retrieve the AE2 crystal seeds in the growth accelerator water, but I use Steve's Factory Manager itself to control it rather than CC. I think Direwolf20 and Pahimar use one in their current Agrarian Skies 2 world to pick up their mob farm loot, which is another common use for it.

Since it acts just like any other inventory (although you can't view it like a chest), anything that interacts with inventories should work - storage bus, router, ... hm, I wonder what a Comparator does? I guess there must be a limit to how many slots the inventory has, but I have no idea what it is. You should at least get a strength 1 signal if there's an item in the world, which might be useful for something.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
According to the readout from openperipherals, the item valve's inventory size grows dynamically. Basically, "slot" 1 is always empty, and then there's a slot for each "stack" of stackable items. I haven't really experimented to see if there's a hard limit on how many slots it can have at one time though.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
That is... interesting... I knew that Primal Mana is a thing, but I had no idea about the all the crazy effects.

Also, their new website looks kinda cool.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Umm ... what??

I can understand lead into gold, or even silver into mana-infused metal.

But ... most of those block transforms just make ... why?!?

Reactions: xTordX

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Well... it was actually yesterday that I discovered the mod... but why get all picky about it? ProjectE. Oh my goodness. LOL Let's just say I think I might not even have to run a quarry or a mining laser for my materials if my plan to melt villagers into emerald blocks comes to fruition... which it will, of course. Maybe I can finally build some cool creations instead of just being a pack rat, spending all my time collecting/storing stuff instead of using it. :)

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I can finally build some cool creations instead of just being a pack rat, spending all my time collecting/storing stuff instead of using it. :)
That is the perfect response to people who say "EE makes everything too easy." :p
I'm totally going to use that next time someone acts all superior - EE actually is really nice for getting enough building blocks (although setting up production lines for them is cool too, I guess).