Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
More and more I get the feeling that FTB is its own worst enemy. The drama seen on their pages is a result of their own doing. This whole thing is a prime example. There was no need to make this announcement. It really doesn't do anything except start this overblown overreaction in the community. Everyone wouldn't have been any the wiser until AFTER they had played the packs, until AFTER you had released them. I mean, you aren't going to change your minds, right? So, what's the point, other than getting people all up in a frenzy for no reason.

Cause when Slow tells me to make an announcement I have to make an announcement. I don't think this was something that needed an announcement personally.[DOUBLEPOST=1399301896][/DOUBLEPOST]Sometimes I have to sleep. During said sleep time people may manage to post off-topic comments that hang around for a few hours. Please wait until I wake up before complaining that people are getting away with derailing the conversation.

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
Cause when Slow tells me to make an announcement I have to make an announcement. I don't think this was something that needed an announcement personally.[DOUBLEPOST=1399301896][/DOUBLEPOST]Sometimes I have to sleep. During said sleep time people may manage to post off-topic comments that hang around for a few hours. Please wait until I wake up before complaining that people are getting away with derailing the conversation.
I'm not trying to place blame on anyone in particular, I am a big fan of the work you all do. Every one of you. Sometimes I just think that this whole thing is probably a little overwhelming for those involved. I sympathize with the struggles you all must go through, when in the end you don't really have to share your work with any of us. And we are all so very lucky that you feel compelled to let us play with your toys.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Vanilla then?

I prefer chocolate.
--the vanilla style of automation is pretty cool (piston based stuff), but the vanilla game itself is somewhat lacking.

I'm thinking stuff like in item transport; 'pipes' that won't override the I-sided concept, and can only do item, liquid OR energy, not all 3 at once through the same spot.
Or the powergrid- larger generators are more fuel efficient, but the grid itself is lossy.
Engines/generators that don't automatically turn off when theres no call for energy- instead are signal controlled only...

Last edited:

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer chocolate.
--the vanilla style of automation is pretty cool (piston based stuff), but the vanilla game itself is somewhat lacking.

I'm thinking stuff like in item transport; 'pipes' that won't override the I-sided concept, and can only do item, liquid OR energy, not all 3 at once through the same spot.
Or the powergrid- larger generators are more fuel efficient, but the grid itself is lossy.
Engines/generators that don't automatically turn off when theres no call for energy- instead are signal controlled only...
Sounds like you want Buildcraft or GregTech'd IndustrialCraft 2.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Sounds like you want Buildcraft or GregTech'd IndustrialCraft 2.

Rotarycraft, Mekanism, Reactorcraft, Thaumcraft and Factorization.
The new content in BC and GT does look pretty decent though.
Those robots that build the quarry? you can control them yourself- yes they shoot lasers too.
And Greg's re-added Eu packets. You can bundle cables together to carry higher currents.​

Reactions: Padfoote

Zyrconium

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not trying to place blame on anyone in particular, I am a big fan of the work you all do. Every one of you. Sometimes I just think that this whole thing is probably a little overwhelming for those involved. I sympathize with the struggles you all must go through, when in the end you don't really have to share your work with any of us. And we are all so very lucky that you feel compelled to let us play with your toys.

There are a suite of reasons announcing now could be better for them :p
1) They get to manage public opinion while they're not busy dealing with a whole lot of bug reports, new users and all the other stuff that comes with pack releases.
2) People tend to prefer being things are happening rather than having them sprung on them.... this is a little closer to the informing people than just releasing the packs would be.
3) Some people(I'm assuming :p) actually like this change. More hype is better.
Just a couple of guesses.

Personally, I just like any insight I can get into the descision making process, being kinda nerdy about that. :p

Rotarycraft, Mekanism, Reactorcraft, Thaumcraft and Factorization.
The new content in BC and GT does look pretty decent though.
Those robots that build the quarry? you can control them yourself- yes they shoot lasers too.
And Greg's re-added Eu packets. You can bundle cables together to carry higher currents.​

Not sure what your opinion in general on this is, but I'm pretty sure they'll have at least one pack SPECIFICALLY without RF because of this that you'll have some fun playing with.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Try to please everyone, and you'll end up pleasing no one. Either they inform us about upcoming changes and such beforehand and suffer backlash from nay-sayers, or they tell us nothing...and suffer backlash from nay-sayers. At least the former wins out by, at minimum, a hair because people can't claim that they weren't even informed about these things.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
The bugs and strange behaviors were basically caused by the fact that the BC power API was equal parts obtuse and absurd at the time. People were overriding classes to achieve what they needed to, and even the primary maintainers of BC didn't get it right. And that's not a slight against them at all, it simply emphasizes how bad the API actually was. RF doesn't have that issue - it allows people to do what they want without resorting to any sort of overrides or hackery. BC never did that.

Yeah, it's a bit of an experiment. Worst case, somebody is going to come out with a bunch of generators that produce infinite power constantly and cost a dirt block. Except then nobody will use them. Or, if people do use them, that's their choice. Welcome to the Sandbox, SandGrain. ;)
That's a great simile 0.o

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
If they didn't tell the community, the community would flip out over "keeping us in the dark". I don't think you were around for this*; it was the pre-weekly news days when this happened.
* nevermind, just checked, you have been around a while :p
ah, you mean the "once a month" weekly updates....yeah, those are.....nice. I'm not trying to slight anybody, just trying to nudge them out of complacency.

Arron Syaoran

Jul 29, 2019
Just tried Agrarian Skies, ended up breaking the quest hopper with my fists(cause it sounded like it needed a fist/axe to mine and not a pickaxe due to wood mining sound). Don't know what to do from there. Willing to sacrifice one of my 2 lives left to fix.

Just tried Magic Farm 2, ragequitted before I got my first stone/coal. I absolutely hate Iguana Tweaks now, as it FORCES you to delve into Tinker's Construct, and is worse than Gregtech IMO. I'd rather deal with Greg's Wood/Plate Nerfs. Personally I favour Neither Gregtech nor TiCo over Gregtech, which I favour over Tinker's construct. NGT with No TiCo > GT w/o TiCo > TiCo WGT as my preference.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
Just tried Agrarian Skies, ended up breaking the quest hopper with my fists(cause it sounded like it needed a fist/axe to mine and not a pickaxe due to wood mining sound). Don't know what to do from there. Willing to sacrifice one of my 2 lives left to fix.

Just tried Magic Farm 2, ragequitted before I got my first stone/coal. I absolutely hate Iguana Tweaks now, as it FORCES you to delve into Tinker's Construct, and is worse than Gregtech IMO. I'd rather deal with Greg's Wood/Plate Nerfs. Personally I favour Neither Gregtech nor TiCo over Gregtech, which I favour over Tinker's construct. NGT with No TiCo > GT w/o TiCo > TiCo WGT as my preference.
This is relevant how?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

If you don't care for TiCo, AgS probably isn't the map for you. It's integral to the balance of the pack.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Cause when Slow tells me to make an announcement I have to make an announcement. I don't think this was something that needed an announcement personally.

I'm with slow on this one, I'm afraid. :) It was right to make this announcement to inform people (and as an extension, mod makers themselves) of this observed, emerging and prevalent trend in mod playability and popularity.
This will help
  1. the mod makers in calibrating themselves (*) to the new trends and stay relevant, and,
  2. the players themselves to understand (*) what their likes/dislikes are. :)
(*) Admittedly, they're not doing a great job so far :)

This point you made, has suddenly makes this post very interesting to me, and reminded me of a similar thing.
There was a coca-cola vs pepsi blind test study where in all the blind tests, 3 out of 4 "confirmed hardcore" coke drinkers' brains automatically fired up pleasure neurons while drinking pepsi than while drinking coca cola. Then the testers made those very same people aware, that they just drank pepsi! Sacré bleu! Now the cerebral cortex intervened, scrambled the physiological reward, and the very same people now decided that they preferred the taste of coca-cola over pepsi, as an "ironclad fact"!
If your (anecdotal?) observations are anything to base a view upon, then, this thread is pretty much showing a similar result of "stated" mod preferences over "observed" mod preferences in a way.

Last edited:

Arron Syaoran

Jul 29, 2019
I'll probably play either the BC/Forestry pack or the IC2 Pack when the 1.7 packs come out. I'll probably try to remove gregtech from the IC2 pack(since I suck that bad at automation, which is absolutely required for GT). This means I hope that GT doesn't become too embedded in that pack for removal. All I know is WAY TOO MANY of the 1.6 packs have TiCo as a Core mod.

I've never really seen how to design private packs, and I heard that I actually have to ask permission from every single mod author involved even if it's just me and my bro playing it.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I'll probably play either the BC/Forestry pack or the IC2 Pack when the 1.7 packs come out. I'll probably try to remove gregtech from the IC2 pack(since I suck that bad at automation, which is absolutely required for GT). This means I hope that GT doesn't become too embedded in that pack for removal. All I know is WAY TOO MANY of the 1.6 packs have TiCo as a Core mod.

I've never really seen how to design private packs, and I heard that I actually have to ask permission from every single mod author involved even if it's just me and my bro playing it.
You don't need to ask for permission if it isn't a public or private-public pack. You also don't need to put it onto the launcher to play it, or for your brother to play it.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019

Your hatred of TiCo is just too plain baffling. On one hand, you do not seem to prefer too much automation. TiCo makes you "uber tools" that help you with mining, armour, ore doubling, defences, etc all with excellent and objective gameplay dynamics (drying racks, crafting station holds your items, and allows you access to nearby chests in early game, try beating that!) and w/o need for complicated machinery? Man, what the sugar cane!?!? [smh]

But this reply is not about dissecting your points of view.

So you want to make a private pack? You also want to share it? Our very own and lovely @Rorax (o/ love your voice in the videos btw :) ) has a thread with some excellent mods, and readymade configs to make the mods work together! Add your stuff to this mix.

Go and get it. Thank her later. ;)

Reactions: Mevansuto

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Your hatred of TiCo is just too plain baffling. On one hand, you do not seem to prefer too much automation. TiCo makes you "uber tools" that help you with mining, armour, ore doubling, defences, etc all with excellent and objective gameplay dynamics (drying racks, crafting station holds your items, and allows you access to nearby chests in early game, try beating that!) and w/o need for complicated machinery? Man, what the sugar cane!?!? [smh]

But this reply is not about dissecting your points of view.

So you want to make a private pack? You also want to share it? Our very own and lovely @Rorax (o/ love your voice in the videos btw :) ) has a thread with some excellent mods, and readymade configs to make the mods work together! Add your stuff to this mix.

Go and get it. Thank her later. ;)

Or he could use the universal configs that cover 300 mods...

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Or he could use the universal configs that cover 300 mods...

@Jadedcat, there is a reason for my not mentioning the obvious :p
Most people who read my posts probably know by now that my love for the FTB configs borders on the effusive. Probably less than three days go by before I go all "dawwww" over it. But, the FTB universal configs are actually hard to miss, as they are stickied right on top, for god's sake!

OTOH, Rorax's pack *is* a fairly interesting and eclectic mix, and this felt like a good place to bring it up, so others who may not be aware of it, can give it a go. :)

minor edit: for me, her pack kind of resembles the shneekeycraft pack as well, but this is lighter and uses fairly different mods.

Last edited:

AtroCty

Jul 29, 2019
It was stated somewhere months ago, that if Carpenter's Blocks got some testing it will be added to Monster as well. Is there any plan on doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.