Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Warms my heart every time I'm reminded that making those config packs was worth it. :D

I'm running a custom config on our FTB Ultimate server where most things are default FTB settings but lava and solar power are both brutally crippled. It makes things interesting for sure but I've found that I've switched to diesel power. One fuel can will fully charge a Redstone Energy Cell, which is pretty awesome. Running that cell through the Power Converter gets me 1 458 000 EU which obliterates GregTech's Diesel Generator which gets 378 000 from the same cell and now it's hit me:

Power Converters is in the pack to counteract GregTech Hard Mode.

Good idea, it seems to be working well so far, they actually complement each other nicely. I must admit it's been ages since I played legit, the last time I tried it was back when the FTB BETA pack was new, so it's interesting to see just how much has changed even in that short time. I'll probably be running on diesel for a while.

Reactions: Whovian and MFINN23

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
But there is; for example EBXL Mini Jungles are the only biome in where you can find Quicksand.

they are similar, but its just a lot more fun and variety involved. I know that this is primarily a tech/magic modpack but I do like the adventure that mods like twilight forest, mystcraft, and extra biomes xl add.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
2 bronze for 3 copper + 1 tin is fucking ridiculous.
You do of course realize that that's what the IC2 recipe gives you without GregTech, right? Forestry Bronze was kind of a cheaty method when used for IC2. I'm surprised he didn't just disable forestry bronze completely.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, lets take a look at some of these biomes, that you claim are all "huge tree" biomes. Alpine, I don't believe it has a ton of trees, I know that it has the big fir trees but they aren't everywhere. Extreme jungle, the trees are the same as vanilla jungle trees, the only difference is there are more hills, and it looks awesome. Forested island, its just an island + a forest. I don't see how this could create lag. Glaciers, which don't have trees, and are one of the coolest and most unique new biomes. Green swamp, again there are lots of small trees but no lag inducing ones. Ice wasteland, as the name would suggest has no trees. Marsh, has no trees, Mountain taiga might have slightly taller trees then the standard taiga ones, but not by much. Redwoods do have huge trees yes, I understand that they are pretty rare though. Shrubland has no trees. Snow forest has small trees. Snowy rainforest does have huge trees. Tundra has no trees.

The other argument I keep seeing is "they are all the same" a lot of them are similar to vanilla or other extra biomes biomes. But what does it really matter. Just think of it then as more variety to the vanilla biomes. For example instead of just a jungle you have smaller jungles, and jungles with more hills.The extra biomes just add a lot more to the world. And they add more variety for things like bee breading and mystcraft ages. If you don't like them disable them yourself
What the hell, those are some of my favorite biomes... Extreme jungle, Glaciers, Green swamp, Forested island. And although people don't like Redwood because of the lag once it's generated it is effing amazing.

Now I understand why people would stick with the Direwolf pack. Shouldn't the idea of an Ultimate pack be that everything possible should be there? This seems a bit misguided to me. That config change should be easy enough, I'll go change it. I REALLY hope there isn't more of this crap I'm not aware of.

Also thanks Lambert I might check it out.[DOUBLEPOST=1362768474][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why not just disable/remove GregTech?

Personally, I enjoy the changes GregTech makes, but to each their own, mate.
You might have missed the rest of my post.

Reactions: Jyzarc

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
What the hell, those are some of my favorite biomes... Extreme jungle, Glaciers, Green swamp, Forested island. And although people don't like Redwood because of the lag once it's generated it is effing amazing.

Now I understand why people would stick with the Direwolf pack. Shouldn't the idea of an Ultimate pack is that everything possible should be there? This seems a bit misguided to me. That config change should be easy enough, I'll go change it. I REALLY hope there isn't more of this crap I'm not aware of.

Also thanks Lambert I might check it out.[DOUBLEPOST=1362768474][/DOUBLEPOST]
Totally agree. I mean its just a couple lines on a config right now(or at least that i'm aware of) but I'm getting nervous that they would do that at all. I personally think that they should change ID's when necessary and disable useless ore(which they kinda failed as far as rubies go) and then leave the rest of the configs alone. I feel like slowpokes trying to change stuff without really needing to. People are always gonna disagree, so why don't they include everything and let people decide what they don't want

Reactions: MFINN23

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Ah, that I did. I am glad you have come to reasonable, if not overly rantfilled, conclusion. Good luck, and enjoy your GregTech free world for however long it interests you!

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean when I have extreme lag very seldomly at the creation of my worlds and the console says the world has leaked, then yes. I have noticed. Sometimes, when I create a world, I experience this. Once. Per world that it happens in.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You do of course realize that that's what the IC2 recipe gives you without GregTech, right? Forestry Bronze was kind of a cheaty method when used for IC2. I'm surprised he didn't just disable forestry bronze completely.
you do of course realize that Forestry actually uses Bronze for more recipes than IC2 does. Recipes that are actually used unlike the bronze armor and tools are.

Even when I did still use IC2 the only think i ever made with bronze was the wrench but I am constantly making forestry machines using bronze.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
you do of course realize that Forestry actually uses Bronze for more recipes than IC2 does. Recipes that are actually used unlike the bronze armor and tools are.

Even when I did still use IC2 the only think i ever made with bronze was the wrench but I am constantly making forestry machines using bronze.
The thing about forestry is that the new multi-farms no longer require bronze, and there is absolutely no reason to have dozens of the other machines as they are made in such a way that once you supply them whit a decent amount of power they go really fast.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Hey! I use bronze tools! And armor!
Well, to be honest, I made bronze because I didn't want to use up iron, and I already had tin, and I found the tin and the chestplate in a loot chest :p
Then I got gem tools...whoops!

I don't think the problem in itself is the bronze, I think the problem is the Tin and Copper needed for other things.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean when I have extreme lag very seldomly at the creation of my worlds and the console says the world has leaked, then yes. I have noticed. Sometimes, when I create a world, I experience this. Once. Per world that it happens in.
Nope, talking about the slow loss of memory over time that eventually leaves you freezing every 10 seconds and getting ran out of memory errors.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

You do realize that IC2 actually doesn't really have a use for bronze other than a tool and some armor right? It's rediculous to nerf that recipe while forestry needs so much bronze. Even with the 4x recipe at the start you're constantly starved for copper.

R3Testa

Jul 29, 2019
If there's really so little use for bronze that it doesn't matter that it is nerfed, then you're saying there's no reason to nerf it.

There was a legitimate reason for it, when Forestry bronze could be converted to bronze blend and then brass blend, giving you a way to turn 4 ingots of bronze into 8 ingots of brass, but you can no longer even make brass blend, as far as I can tell.

Oh wait, I found a reason. The industrial centrifuge turns 1 bronze dust into 6 tiny piles of copper and 2 tiny piles of tin, so...
3 copper + 1 tin = 4 bronze = 4 bronze dust = 24 tp copper + 8 tp tin = 6 copper + 2 tin

That's all on GregTech, though. There's no other way to reclaim the ingredients, or to convert them any more.

I also noticed that brass is a 4:4 recipe, and running it through the industrial centrifuge gives the proper 3 + 1.

So it seems to me, the problem is actually the IC2 recipe being 4:2 by default. GT tampers with other IC2 recipes, changing that one to 4:4 would make things make sense.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wait, I found a reason. The industrial centrifuge turns 1 bronze dust into 6 tiny piles of copper and 2 tiny piles of tin, so...
3 copper + 1 tin = 4 bronze = 4 bronze dust = 24 tp copper + 8 tp tin = 6 copper + 2 tin
The centrifuge is GT right? Then the issue is GT not forestry... balance my arse, that there is just messing with stuff for the sake of it, not to balance. He is unbalancing forestry.

Reactions: Lambert2191

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
The centrifuge is GT right? Then the issue is GT not forestry... balance my arse, that there is just messing with stuff for the sake of it, not to balance. He is unbalancing forestry.

That's for the sake of IC2 2 bronze dusts, anyway if you disable GT bronze nerf, the centrifuge recipe will change as well.

@Hydra, you do realize that bronze armor gives the same amount of protection as with diamond armor (except for the enchantablity and durability) right?, and you are starving of copper mainly because of TE world gen that's used in FTB, change back to IC2 copper and you'll see the difference.