Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Greg practically spends half his time trolling people in IC2 forums, which I'd argue is a form of personal humour.

Yup, indeed it is. The other half of his time is spent trolling people that dislike the difficultly curve of his mod. Sounds good to me, hahah.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The same 5 people bashing Gregtech... move along guys!

If you are including me in that list of "the same 5 people", then you are erroneous in your count. I made a test world sans GregTech, and it was a great deal more bothersome as it didn't take long at all to start getting into the midgame (I did not go further than that). I wouldn't want to play a world without GregTech because of all the awesome things it adds.

Now, that aside, Greg and GregTech are the cause of all things wrong with the world. Greg is the reason for all evil, and GregTech is the source of all evil.

Accept the cognitive dissonance by understanding the humor behind it, or don't but avoid posting in a situation in which the system is run through a humor-based cognitive dissonance filter, because all you end up doing is appear to have missed the joke, as they say. Sorry mate.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
If you are including me in that list of "the same 5 people", then you are erroneous in your count. I made a test world sans GregTech, and it was a great deal more bothersome as it didn't take long at all to start getting into the midgame (I did not go further than that). I wouldn't want to play a world without GregTech because of all the awesome things it adds.

Now, that aside, Greg and GregTech are the cause of all things wrong with the world. Greg is the reason for all evil, and GregTech is the source of all evil.

Accept the cognitive dissonance by understanding the humor behind it, or don't but avoid posting in a situation in which the system is run through a humor-based cognitive dissonance filter, because all you end up doing is appear to have missed the joke, as they say. Sorry mate.
I wish the shoop was here :(

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019

Perhaps it is you who should learn to count?

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech's author's attitude (and CovertJaguar's) are the main reasons I'm starting to sour a bit on FTB. Just in time for whatever this "Technic Platform" is comes out.

Do I misremember things, or did the FTB people not explicitly say that the Ultimate pack would have GregTech's nerfs to Forestry and other mods disabled?

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 removed industrial diamonds awhile ago and only kept them around as a legacy item that I think could be re-enabled with a config setting. This is why I blamed Greg since it is right up his alley to do this.

If it was an intentional change from greg, I imagine he would have disabled the recipe which lets you put a single industrial diamond in a crafting grid and receive a single regular diamond.

My vote is "someone made an error in config files" and not "malicious action".

Do I misremember things, or did the FTB people not explicitly say that the Ultimate pack would have GregTech's nerfs to Forestry and other mods disabled?

At this point, that seems to be apocryphal. I haven't seen anyone actually give a cite for that, only "I heard that..."

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I wish the shoop was here :(
He'll come, soon enough, now that you have summoned him!

Perhaps it is you who should learn to count?

I have no way at all to judge how many users YOU believe are currently "bashing" GregTech, which is why I questioned your count. Besides that, I can count perfectly fine.

1, 2, 4, 8, sixteen, 32, 64, 128, a piece of pie, 512, ninety-nine, one hundred.

Now then, if you are done attempting to take this thread off topic, let's return to the topic at hand, please.

Reactions: Geometry

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech's author's attitude (and CovertJaguar's) are the main reasons I'm starting to sour a bit on FTB. Just in time for whatever this "Technic Platform" is comes out.

What has greg ever done? He just simply doesn't agree with technic. He has never bothered to stop anyone, he just set a bit of code that stopped it working with the exact technic pack as a deterrent. Not sure if that's even still in and I don't thinkt it would apply on the platform since it's tekkit he originally blocked.

CJ can be a bit eh.. spirited so I can understand why his attitude can turn people off.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
He'll come, soon enough, now that you have summoned him!

I have no way at all to judge how many users YOU believe are currently "bashing" GregTech, which is why I questioned your count. Besides that, I can count perfectly fine.

1, 2, 4, 8, sixteen, 32, 64, 128, a piece of pie, 512, ninety-nine, one hundred.

Now then, if you are done attempting to take this thread off topic, let's return to the topic at hand, please.
It is not what I believe...i just read the last 2 pages and saw the same 5 users who talk how gregtech sucks every single thread, ironic that you used the "let's return to the topic" card.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
It is not what I believe...i just read the last 2 pages and saw the same 5 users who talk how gregtech sucks every single thread, ironic that you used the "let's return to the topic" card.

That isn't "irony", but that is off topic. If you'd like the lesson in English, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, I believe it is safe to say that we're going back on topic now, as this tangent is over. Thanks!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
What has greg ever done? He just simply doesn't agree with technic. He has never bothered to stop anyone, he just set a bit of code that stopped it working with the exact technic pack as a deterrent. Not sure if that's even still in and I don't thinkt it would apply on the platform since it's tekkit he originally blocked.

CJ can be a bit eh.. spirited so I can understand why his attitude can turn people off.

Greg seems to be softening on that technic pack stuff, btw. I think the buzz around technic launcher is that it's such a good idea that everyone is gonna have to let bygones be bygones. Quite frankly, the FTB launcher is an ugly and awkward beast by comparison. Good UX is not easy, so that isn't a knock at them. It's just that the Technic Launcher system works extremely well, and it's very easy to integrate your modpack with. Their Solider API has potential. Maybe he will update and block that too. Of course, TL now lets you set an arbitrary folder name, so the only reliable key that GT could use is now broken. Not that Greg's little plan wasn't easy to foil before. The guy is way out of his depth on that kind of DRM stuff.

Mod owners really don't have any reliable way to stop people from including their work in modpacks. I have a free, open source decompiler and fairly good de-obfuscator (which is of course a manual process) which I use professionally. Decompiling java is often just Part of the Workflow™ when integrating with third parties. There is nothing they can do to stop me or anyone else so outfitted if we were so inclined. Were I to spend on the order of $100, I could get even better tools that would make it even easier.

If CJ and Greg can't deal with this reality, they should go work on other things. Because it's only going to be heartache for them until they reconcile what is actually valuable about their mods (hint: it is not the code).