Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't... I can spell humour XD

Damn it Lambert2191, don't you go wasting those 'u's left right and out the door! We've got a 'u' shortage over here in the good ol' US'o'A.

Ok, fine, still off topic, but do you spell "L.A.S.E.R.", which stands for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation" as lazer? If so, we will need to have words. Lots of them!

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Damn it Lambert2191, don't you go wasting those 'u's left right and out the door! We've got a 'u' shortage over here in the good ol' US'o'A.

Ok, fine, still off topic, but do you spell "L.A.S.E.R.", which stands for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation" as lazer? If so, we will need to have words. Lots of them!
nah, Laser is the correct spelling :) I thought it was you yanks that used the Z :p

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019

And this is why I said that you playing the "let's go back on topic" card was ironic.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
nah, Laser is the correct spelling :) I thought it was you yanks that used the Z :p

Hahah, no sir, none of that bollocks over on this side of the pond. I seem to remember that American English has dropped "z"s in favor of "s"s before, but I cannot remember any good examples right now.

I'd say that "lazer" is one of those things that make me desire a laser of tactical specifications.

And this is why I said that you playing the "let's go back on topic" card was ironic.
Thank you for your post. It has been read. Now, back to the topic: lasers!

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Then blame whoever made the configs, not the mod author.
That's precisely what I was doing... They have the gregtech hardmode configs, and the thermal expansion easy mode configs. I'm asking... WHY? The only logical conclusion I can come to is that the FTB team couldn't be arsed to provide a balanced config set, despite all of their preaching about "balance" when it comes to adding new mods...

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Says the guy that doesn't use IC2

what, you think I haven't touched IC2/gregtech at all in my life? just because I opened my eyes and saw that IC2 was just a pretty machines mod, with some pretty purple goo, that other mods can do what IC2 does better and fixed, etc., doesn't mean I don't know what IC2 is/I don't use it in another modpack.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
what, you think I haven't touched IC2/gregtech at all in my life? just because I opened my eyes and saw that IC2 was just a pretty machines mod, with some pretty purple goo, that other mods can do what IC2 does better and fixed, etc., doesn't mean I don't know what IC2 is/I don't use it in another modpack.

I actually think GregTech is a pretty neat mod if it's balanced right. I'm starting to understand how it does tiered "unlocking" where the first instance of a machine is crazy expensive but subsequently opens up a ton of options.

If someone made a macerator and electric furnace with automatic and configurable inventory push, I suspect those machines would be directly competitive even with hardmode. The pulverizer's excess output is nice to have, but hardly necessary nor reliable. And the much better Induction Furnace mechanic? Most people I talk to have never used it because of the more complex regulation required to get the most from it.

But then higher order IC2+GT stuff tends to have neat and fun mechanics. IC2's reactors are not very cost effective, but very cool and fun to play with. GT's industrial grinders, centrifuges and electrolyzers seem almost OP they're so good once you can get a bunch of them running.

TE/BC/RC tend to enable self-guided players more, which I like. But they can play nice together.

Reactions: Confidential1207

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
If someone made a macerator and electric furnace with automatic and configurable inventory push, I suspect those machines would be directly competitive even with hardmode.

It isn't too bad to set up an automated processing system either with wooden pipes/redstone engines, wooden pipes/BC gates, routers, or AE. But yes, an upgraded macerator and electro furnace that still only had one slot, but kept four slots for upgrades, and had output built in would be a good additional functionality. Not required, but worth the cost surely.

As it standard, rotary macerators and induction furnaces are no where near as good as overclocked macerators and furnaces. They may be more energy efficient, but that isn't a big issue in the midgame, or at all in the endgame.

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech's author's attitude
What has greg ever done? He just simply doesn't agree with technic. He has never bothered to stop anyone, he just set a bit of code that stopped it working with the exact technic pack as a deterrent. Not sure if that's even still in and I don't thinkt it would apply on the platform since it's tekkit he originally blocked.

I said attitude.

i.e. The way that you either have to play the game *his* way or

1. Ask on a forum how to fix his changes back to where they aren't screwing with the balance of other mods

1b. get shouted at for not just uninstalling the mod (despite the fact that I don't want to)

2. Try to dig through his site and figure out his config file documentation

2b. (Is the Forestry recipe nerf in Recipes.cfg or RecipesAdvancedConfig.cfg? Answer: Neither, it's in GregTech.cfg.)

3. Change things back to default, if you can even figure out what defaults are. He could include the defaults for non-GregTech in his configs as comments, but chooses not to.

3c. (What's the default stack size for IC2 machine upgrade slots? Answer: Good luck finding that answer on the internet anywhere, you'll have to start a version without GregTech to find out. It's 64.)

4?. Possibly find out that changing the config files doesn't make NEI work right, and you have to change NEI too (not sure)

5?. Convince the server admin to make the same changes.

6?. Hold the hands of the 50 people on the server to help walk them through the changes as well.

7. Have to do it all over again the next time he nerfs something.

I'm not sure about 4, 5, and 6, but just 1, 2, and 3 are enough to make me hate using the mod, if not for the cool toys.

That's precisely what I was doing... They have the gregtech hardmode configs, and the thermal expansion easy mode configs. I'm asking... WHY? The only logical conclusion I can come to is that the FTB team couldn't be arsed to provide a balanced config set, despite all of their preaching about "balance" when it comes to adding new mods...

Completely agree.

Reactions: Lambert2191

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Rotary macerators are straight up better than macerators because they can also be overclocked just as much

1. You could instead read what a mod does before playing with it.

2. Config files are just that, config files. If you can't use them easily enough others have made them for you, note: most mods give you little config.

3. Sounds like an IC2 issue not a GT issue

4. NEI =/= gregtech?

5. Or play on a server with gregtech at a level you like. Or host your own. Or play SSP like others who can't agree to anyones servers and can't be bothered hosting.

6. Is this actually an argument?

7. Really? It's called a changelog. All mods have htem and all mods change things.

Reactions: Guswut

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
As it standard, rotary macerators and induction furnaces are no where near as good as overclocked macerators and furnaces. They may be more energy efficient, but that isn't a big issue in the midgame, or at all in the endgame.
Maybe not the furnace but rotaries can get overclocks as well.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Rotary macerators are straight up better than macerators because they can also be overclocked just as much

Holy butts, batman, it CAN be overclocked! Well then, time to look into this little guy to see if it is worth the time. Thanks!

Maybe not the furnace but rotaries can get overclocks as well.
Yup, editing my post now.[DOUBLEPOST=1362514547][/DOUBLEPOST]
If someone made a macerator and electric furnace with automatic and configurable inventory push, I suspect those machines would be directly competitive even with hardmode.

So, remoted into my home system to verify the 12 overclocker output, and guess what: Automatic Macerator and Automatic E-Furnace. I don't see any upgrade slots, though, but still, it appears that Greg has read your mind from the past!

I couldn't get them to work, but I wasn't able to see anything via my remote connection so that may be the problem.

Reactions: Dravarden

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Really makes the induction furnace a dead unit though. I don't know why I'd ever build it..

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
What's wrong with it? At max heat, it does two things at once almost instantly...

You can smelt a full stack of things in twenty seconds with an upgraded electro furnace. The induction furnace will not do them "almost instantly", as it often takes longer for those two stacks than the rest of my inventory of aluminum ore to be smelted.

I made an induction furnace twice. The first time was back in 1.2.x, and that ended with me not being able to power it because I was still too early in the game for that. The second time it stuck around for a few days before we scrapped it in favor of a second furnace for another billion times (hyperbolic) the output.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
For the Industrial Blast Furnace. :p

Point, but I never think about what I blocks that I'm using as crafting materials other than as just that.. crafting materials XD

@Bwilb it's slower than an upgraded electro furnace as guswut said