Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
What disadvantage? Minecraft isn't a competitive game.

First of all I don't really get why people play on public servers. Usually you have to go really far away or you will get griefed So at that point you might as well be playing single player. But there are usually other things that are disabled like mystcraft books and reactors. I play on a private server with a couple of friends and we all work together to build awesome stuff. Not "I got a gravisuite first, I win"[DOUBLEPOST=1362424447][/DOUBLEPOST]
It can be.

Right, like for PVP maps. however I believe we are talking about regular survival

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough, but now refer to a Server, say, where noone wants to cheat.

who said so? have you seen mindcrack? Nebris did an automated machine for the slag/platinum bug, bunch of others used them (IIRC bdubs)

in a server it does affect others, but still, OPness is what you think.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Well those are kind of atypical to minecraft as a whole and the server owners would be implementing special rules anyways.
I didnt say it was competitive, but say you join a server where everyone has full Quantum suit and a Bajillion Nuclear reactors, and you have a stone pick.
Its not exactly "Fun".[DOUBLEPOST=1362424861][/DOUBLEPOST]
who said so? have you seen mindcrack? Nebris did an automated machine for the slag/platinum bug, bunch of others used them (IIRC bdubs)

Yes, i do watch Mindcrack.
Nebris was exploiting an unintended feature, and because of that he had a ton of Everything.
If he didnt have that exploit i doubt he would have his Quantum suit by now, hey, look at Genny and BdoubleO, they have bees that make Freaking diamonds and platinum but still dont have any peice of Quantum, the most Expensive thing they have is the Lightning rod to which they spent nearly all their rescources on.
Why do you think both the Author of TE and Greg decided to nerf and fix that exploit?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
First of all I don't really get why people play on public servers. Usually you have to go really far away or you will get griefed So at that point you might as well be playing single player. But there are usually other things that are disabled like mystcraft books and reactors. I play on a private server with a couple of friends and we all work together to build awesome stuff. Not "I got a gravisuite first, I win"[DOUBLEPOST=1362424447][/DOUBLEPOST]

Right, like for PVP maps. however I believe we are talking about regular survival
public servers are incredibly fun when griefing is not allowed. there are a number of bukkit plugins that means you can claim a certain area and only you (and those you give perms to) can build/open chests/destroy blocks there.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
(IIRC bdubs)

Yes, OP'ness is my opinion, but its alot easier to make things Easy then to balance them, and it seems the majority dont want OP things.
Go read the first page, alot of mods have been turned down for unbalancement

Hawcian

Jul 29, 2019
I think what we've discovered today is that the Edit Modpack button needs to be a giant red button on the launcher. And it should include common configuration options and clear descriptions of the mods themselves. Also maybe some sort of "server setup file" that can be easily distributed that lets the launcher know what to disable. (Not a modpack, just a list of what mods to enable/disable. People would still have to download the authorized FTB packs and add extra mods/configs themselves, as per FTB policy.)

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I didnt say it was competitive, but say you join a server where everyone has full Quantum suit and a Bajillion Nuclear reactors, and you have a stone pick.
Its not exactly "Fun".
Why not? Don't be jelly, your reality is what you make it :D

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
public servers are incredibly fun when griefing is not allowed. there are a number of bukkit plugins that means you can claim a certain area and only you (and those you give perms to) can build/open chests/destroy blocks there.
They can be very fun, but people still find ways to Exploit it :(
I prefer Whitelisted servers, less Griefers and usually better communities.
But hey, it doesnt need to be public to be Competitive.[DOUBLEPOST=1362425137][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why not? Don't be jelly, your reality is what you make it :D
:)

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Its not exactly fun.

I don't see why that wouldn't be fun for me.

I wouldn't use a quantum suit if it was given to me and I don't use EU machines or toys. I wouldn't care if the all built giant cities out of diamond, emerald and gold blocks. That wouldn't detract at all from my gameplay.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why that wouldn't be fun for me.

I wouldn't use a quantum suit if it was given to me and I don't use EU machines or toys. I wouldn't care if the all built giant cities out of diamond, emerald and gold blocks. That wouldn't detract at all from my gameplay.

Say there's a Nuclear Reactor at spawn filled up with Uranium with a Pressure Plate right on top of it that a troll put there.

Oh, yes, spawn protection. Say someone put those right outside of spawn protection. So that there's no way to get past the pressure plates.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Say there's a Nuclear Reactor at spawn filled up with Uranium with a Pressure Plate right on top of it that a troll put there.

Oh, yes, spawn protection. Say someone put those right outside of spawn protection. So that there's no way to get past the pressure plates.

If your server admin or an OP is not around, log off, and send them an email/PM/etc, and wait.

Yeah, it's the logical choice like "Oh gee, our car just broke down and there is an old spooky house. We can either go into that house, possibly end up getting killed/raped/eaten, and all that jazz.... Or we can call AAA/a friend/etc. No cell phone service? I guess waiting until morning in the car is unreasonable, eh? Well then, off we go, gang!".

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
If your server admin or an OP is not around, log off, and send them an email/PM/etc, and wait.

Yeah, it's the logical choice like "Oh gee, our car just broke down and there is an old spooky house. We can either go into that house, possibly end up getting killed/raped/eaten, and all that jazz.... Or we can call AAA/a friend/etc. No cell phone service? I guess waiting until morning in the car is unreasonable, eh? Well then, off we go, gang!".

I think it's more likely you'd get mistook for a burglar/rapist yourself.