Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
I like how people say ''overpowered'' or ''underpowered'', in SSP there is not such a thing, and even if its a server, this is a sandbox game, you choose what to do, there is no story, if you want to beat the enderdragon with cobblestone, do it, if you want to kill the wither with potions, do it, if you just want to travel infinitely, do it (unless is a server), if you want to die the fastest, do it.

you choose whatever you want to do.
The whole thing with "Overpowered" and "underpowered" is that if you are playing on Survival, with say, EE2, once you have a Power Flower you might as well turn on Creative.
Thats no fun to alot of people and cheaty :p
"Underpowered" means that say, if greg made Fusion reactor's output 1eu/t, it would be absoloutely worthless for the cost, so it might as well not be added since nobody would use it, even just for fun, it costs more to get the fuel then to burn it.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
With the new version of the launcher we might see a system whereby when you first download the pack it gives you 3 options:
-Gregtech Easy
-Gregtech Hard
-Gregtech Off

That would be the best (and probably only) way to appease all those pro and anti GT

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding power converters, it's not just the amount of engines, but also the amount of resources used to make those engines. The steel alone comes out to 500 ingots just for the engines this can replace - that's not factoring in the mats for the 25 pistons or the trivial 25 glass and 50 cobblestone.

Compare that to 12 gold ingots, 1 diamond, 20 iron, 2 redstone, as well as mats for 2 pistons (2 pistons and 20 iron for the sterling engine and commerical engine for the converters) and you see that both mats wise and power wise it is incredibly strong. Don't even try to say "but it costs a diamond" because they are terribly easy to get.

Now having said that since I'll be playing solo this won't be a problem as I can turn it off, but I can definitely see a good deal of servers also disabling it due to what all it can replace in a very small amount of both space and resources.

Edit: And there were plans for that lambert, but we just don't know when or indeed if it will be implemented.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Guys if you don't like power converters, don't use it. I don't think they are overpowered. I mean that term is relative anyways. In theory infinite water in vanilla could be considered OP. Also I could say NEI is overpowered because I can switch to cheat mode and spawn in whatever I want. If you feel something is OP, don't abuse it and let other people play as they want. Its a sandbox game

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding power converters, it's not just the amount of engines, but also the amount of resources used to make those engines. The steel alone comes out to 500 ingots just for the engines this can replace - that's not factoring in the mats for the 25 pistons or the trivial 25 glass and 50 cobblestone.

Compare that to 12 gold ingots, 1 diamond, 20 iron, 2 redstone, as well as mats for 2 pistons (2 pistons and 20 iron for the sterling engine and commerical engine for the converters) and you see that both mats wise and power wise it is incredibly strong. Don't even try to say "but it costs a diamond" because they are terribly easy to get.

Now having said that since I'll be playing solo this won't be a problem as I can turn it off, but I can definitely see a good deal of servers also disabling it due to what all it can replace in a very small amount of both space and resources.

Edit: And there were plans for that lambert, but we just don't know when or indeed if it will be implemented.
Power converters is pretty OP alright, but hey, at least it has loss.. right? RIGHT?
Horribly OP = Removal plz

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Power converters is pretty OP alright, but hey, at least it has loss.. right? RIGHT?
Horribly OP = Removal plz

How is it OP? Its literally as OP as a lexicon, your converting something into the equivalent of it for convenience. Your also not taking into account that you can't convert factorization power back and forth without powerconverters. Removing it is a bad idea. Just because other mods add more complex and expensive ways of converting stuff doesn't make it OP

Reactions: Dravarden

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
How is it OP? Its literally as OP as a lexicon, your converting something into the equivalent of it for convenience. Your also not taking into account that you can't convert factorization power back and forth without powerconverters. Removing it is a bad idea. Just because other mods add more complex and expensive ways of converting stuff doesn't make it OP
It is not "equivalent" because you don't generate 2 different types of power the same way, there are already many ways to convert power in the pack, more creative ones.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
With the new version of the launcher we might see a system whereby when you first download the pack it gives you 3 options:
-Gregtech not changing recipes, but still Hard
-Gregtech changing recipes, and Hard
-Gregtech Off

That would be the best (and probably only) way to appease all those pro and anti GT

fixed

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
It's OP in that it lets you convert steam, which either required engines or a turbine, directly into power, foregoeing the massive costs required to run steam engines or turbines. The lexicon isn't OP unless someone messes it up. All the items on the lexicon have the exact same value - while the conversion might be the same value, the cost of the machines that actually do the conversions are clearly not.

And yes, as I said, I personally will just disable it. I'm just pointing out that this can become a problem due to it trivializing pretty much any energy generating device. Heck, if people want to really be silly with it they could produce all their energy with the very powerful 512 eu/t solar panels, convert all the energy into steam, and then send the steam through tesseracts at no energy loss making an interdimensial energy network for all types of energy being powered by a handful of solars.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
for you is op, for me it isn't.

this is a sandbox and a singleplayer world, you choose what is op, what's cheating, etc.

EDIT: just like in kerbal space program (a game of building rockets and launching them, pretty fun) you can use infinite fuel if you want, or an unbreakable rocket if you want, maybe for me is super cheating, but maybe for you not, because is a singleplayer and a sandbox (more or less) game, you are not affecting anyone by cheating, is just you.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
It's OP in that it lets you convert steam, which either required engines or a turbine, directly into power, foregoeing the massive costs required to run steam engines or turbines. The lexicon isn't OP unless someone messes it up. All the items on the lexicon have the exact same value - while the conversion might be the same value, the cost of the machines that actually do the conversions are clearly not.

And yes, as I said, I personally will just disable it. I'm just pointing out that this can become a problem due to it trivializing pretty much any energy generating device. Heck, if people want to really be silly with it they could produce all their energy with the very powerful 512 eu/t solar panels, convert all the energy into steam, and then send the steam through tesseracts at no energy loss making an interdimensial energy network for all types of energy being powered by a handful of solars.

I dont like setting up 5 different power gen systems. What if I want to be able to power all my machnines with biofuel or steam for example?

Reactions: Dravarden

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
tbh, I'd really like GT if it didn't have that annoying hard-on for the ore dictionary... looking up a recipe in NEI and having it switch through "oh you can use this or this or this or this" is rather irritating. And yes, I know about shift before some GTfanboy tells me about it, not good enough :/

Reactions: vasouv and Jyzarc

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Guys if you don't like power converters, don't use it. I don't think they are overpowered. I mean that term is relative anyways. In theory infinite water in vanilla could be considered OP. Also I could say NEI is overpowered because I can switch to cheat mode and spawn in whatever I want. If you feel something is OP, don't abuse it and let other people play as they want. Its a sandbox game
In that logic /gamemode 1 is OP. NEI Cheat mode is meant for cheating, OP only applies to Survival since Creative mode is also cheaty.
If your playing on a server with say EE2 (Totaly refering to it as the OPAZHELL mod) and you dont use it, but everyone else does, your at a Serious disadvantage.[DOUBLEPOST=1362423930][/DOUBLEPOST]
I dont like setting up 5 different power gen systems. What if I want to be able to power all my machnines with biofuel or steam for example?
Steam motor, Biogenerator, Semifluid Generator.
Not very efficient but Balanced.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to gregtech I just hope they make it "easy mode" by default so we don't have to labor through configs trying to get default recipes back every time.

Reactions: Jyzarc

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
for you is op, for me it isn't.

this is a sandbox and a singleplayer world, you choose what is op, what's cheating, etc.

EDIT: just like in kerbal space program (a game of building rockets and launching them, pretty fun) you can use infinite fuel if you want, or an unbreakable rocket if you want, maybe for me is super cheating, but maybe for you not, because is a singleplayer and a sandbox (more or less) game, you are not affecting anyone by cheating, is just you.
Fair enough, but now refer to a Server, say, where noone wants to cheat.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
In that logic /gamemode 1 is OP. NEI Cheat mode is meant for cheating, OP only applies to Survival since Creative mode is also cheaty.
If your playing on a server with say EE2 (Totaly refering to it as the OPAZHELL mod) and you dont use it, but everyone else does, your at a Serious disadvantage.[DOUBLEPOST=1362423930][/DOUBLEPOST]

If the server owner feels its OP then they can and should remove it. I think its easier for the people who don't like it to disable it then it is for the people who do like it to add it

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
-Gregtech Easy
-Gregtech Hard
-Gregtech Off

This would be the best change ever. Does Gregtech easy mean no more 2 bronze for 4 copper/tin ingots?

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to gregtech I just hope they make it "easy mode" by default so we don't have to labor through configs trying to get default recipes back every time.
Alot of people prefer Hard mode, including me.
So by doing that, all the hard mode people would have to Labour through the config aswell.
To shut people up they should just do an in-launcher button to change it.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
What disadvantage? Minecraft isn't a competitive game.