Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
According to the PowerConvertors thread you can convert 100 MJ into 243 EU. Well, say goodbye to steam turbines then.
No, that is entirely configurable in the config files.

I would assume that they would put something that would not break the turbines and the netherrack > lava > EU.
Because that would go against their guidelines from "suggest mods", the lowering the cost for doing the same thing.
Here, it would be lower the cost and the infrastructure, and would render many contraptions useless.
That was based on that that there were some discussions in the thread.

I think we can at least trust the FTB team enough to not ruin other mods by adding this one.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
It's not so much the conversion ratios but that you can cut out on a massive footprint. Right now I started a world just to test this and set up 4 steam boilers inputting steam into a liquid tesseract and, once they start producing, will see if those three blocks can replace the 72 engines, energy conduits, and redstone wire/jacketed redstone that it would normally take.

Edit: Also, my dislike for voxel doesn't stem from any performance issues - I just don't like the look of it that much.

Another Edit: Ok, it seems it caps out at converting 1000 steam/t into 200 MJ/t, or the equivalent of 25 industrial steam engines. It's still a rather large number, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be (still pretty strong though).

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I got the Ultimate Pack to work out! I just had to increase the space of the Garbage Collector. You can do this by going into your launcher options, click Advance Options, and paste this into the Additional Parameters:
Code:
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

Everything works fine, I didn't have to disable any mods, didn't have to turn down render distance, and my FPS is normal range for my computer :) (Around 50 - 75)!

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
sorry for my ignorance.. but what is the "Garbage Collector" ?

Assuming you're referring to the Java stuff, from what I recall, the program looks around the RAM allocation for objects for which there are no references to (so they aren't referenced in the code, nor will they ever be after this point) and deletes them. It basically takes care of unused objects hogging RAM.

Reactions: russjr08

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
sorry for my ignorance.. but what is the "Garbage Collector" ?
Basically, in most Object Oriented Programming languages, there is a garbage collector. It's job is to detect unused objects and clean them up / recycle them. I haven't done too much reading on it, but if I'm understanding this correctly, in simple terms it detects unused things, and cleans them up for you.

Edit: Ninja'd well.. I tried to post but there was an error. I should've watched it submit instead of going off for more coffee. xD

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
If you ever have a giant lag spike for no reason and there's no output in the console about it, it's probably Java running garbage collection.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Petrogen should be removed, since its completely useless with Gregtech, as Greg adds its own Generator that uses Fuel for EU.
Oh, and Power Converters? Sorry but that mod is seriously OP. If you want to convert them, there are ways that Arent OP and are kinda Creative.

Hawcian

Jul 29, 2019
Petrogen should be removed, since its completely useless with Gregtech, as Greg adds its own Generator that uses Fuel for EU.
Oh, and Power Converters? Sorry but that mod is seriously OP. If you want to convert them, there are ways that Arent OP and are kinda Creative.

Please remember that not everyone uses Gregtech and that the release version of Ultimate may very well disable (not remove) Gregtech as the default. They're not going to balance the pack around it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Please remember that not everyone uses Gregtech and that the release version of Ultimate may very well disable (not remove) Gregtech as the default. They're not going to balance the pack around it.

Disabling _is_ removing. I'd lay money that that isn't going to happen, GT will be in Ultimate. GT will be loaded and functioning in an unedited Ultimate config setup.

Taking all bets.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that it would be, although Hawcian makes a point, Gregtech adds a ton of Awesome stuff and Petrogen adds 1 thing that already has its use taken by Gregtech.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Dsabling != removing. Removing means it wouldn't come in the pack at all and you would have to add it in from outside of the pack. Disabling it means it comes with the pack but isn't turned on by default and all you have to do is check a box to turn it on.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
Dsabling != removing. Removing means it wouldn't come in the pack at all and you would have to add it in from outside of the pack. Disabling it means it comes with the pack but isn't turned on by default and all you have to do is check a box to turn it on.
Thats absoloutly pointless then, you might as well not include it at all.
If its not going to be in the pack by defualt.....
then it isnt in the pack.
By your logic Every mod ever could be in the Disabled bit but not actually in the pack, why waste memory when you arent going to use it?

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
Hate Greg all you want, but a pack cannot be "ultimate" whit out the massive amount of stuff Gregtech adds, and like you said yourself, to disable it all you have to do is check a box.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I like how people say ''overpowered'' or ''underpowered'', in SSP there is not such a thing, and even if its a server, this is a sandbox game, you choose what to do, there is no story, if you want to beat the enderdragon with cobblestone, do it, if you want to kill the wither with potions, do it, if you just want to travel infinitely, do it (unless is a server), if you want to die the fastest, do it.

you choose whatever you want to do.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
I like how people say ''overpowered'' or ''underpowered'', in SSP there is not such a thing, and even if its a server, this is a sandbox game, you choose what to do, there is no story, if you want to beat the enderdragon with cobblestone, do it, if you want to kill the wither with potions, do it, if you just want to travel infinitely, do it (unless is a server), if you want to die the fastest, do it.

you choose whatever you want to do.
Do you realize that SSP stands for SURVIVAL single player, if you choose this mode instead of creative it means that usually you want more of a challenge.

Hawcian

Jul 29, 2019
Disabling _is_ removing. I'd lay money that that isn't going to happen, GT will be in Ultimate. GT will be loaded and functioning in an unedited Ultimate config setup.

Taking all bets.

Semantics aside, it's certainly possible. If I remember correctly, Slowpoke did say some time ago that Gregtech would be disabled by default, but he and the mod team could have changed their minds (or they may have just been referring to disabling the changes Greg makes to other mods).

Reactions: Lambert2191