Totemic Discussion: Magical Totems

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So, i want peoples opinion on the concept of the multiblock totems.
Currently how totems stand, they are a magical box that do little cool effects, while thats fine and all, they are planned to become a multiblock totem pole :3

So, the current idea for them is:

Totem intelligence: This is the brain of your totem pole, it goes in the middle and is the centre point of the totem, does all the calculations etc
Totem support: A idea by Machinemuse, this goes under the totem of intelligence, this holds the chlorophyll crystals, the totem intelligence pulls the plant essence from these. There can be at max 5.
Totem sockets: These hold the totems, they go ontop of the totem intelligence, there can be 5. These will be able to be replaced by upgrades in the future.

So in the end you will be creating tall totem pole (or small if you want ;) ) to do the effects.
Thoughts?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Currently how totems stand, they are a magical box that do little cool effects, while thats fine and all, they are planned to become a multiblock totem pole :3

Totem intelligence: This is the brain of your totem pole, it goes in the middle and is the centre point of the totem, does all the calculations etc
Totem support: A idea by Machinemuse, this goes under the totem of intelligence, this holds the chlorophyll crystals, the totem intelligence pulls the plant essence from these. There can be at max 5.
Totem sockets: These hold the totems, they go ontop of the totem intelligence, there can be 5. These will be able to be replaced by upgrades in the future.

So in the end you will be creating tall totem pole (or small if you want ;) ) to do the effects.
Thoughts?
How about a totem that can transfer chlorophyll between totems? That way you can have a complex system of totems transfering to each other. I'd be pretty awesome to have one massive totem "tower" powering all your nearby totems.

Reactions: Not_Steve

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
How about a totem that can transfer chlorophyll between totems? That way you can have a complex system of totems transfering to each other. I'd be pretty awesome to have one massive totem "tower" powering all your nearby totems.
Planned for the future, just a big undertaking currently >.>
You will be able to use itemducts, hoppers etc for the mean time :3

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
S

Thoughts?
Sounds cool

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
0.0.6a released, this has multiblock totems and is the official "do whatever in modpacks" properly xD

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
0.0.6a released, this has multiblock totems and is the official "do whatever in modpacks" properly xD

That should be the build name 0.0.6(dowhateverinmodpacks)

Besides that. I will have to talk to you in a personal convo about coding multi-block structures when you have the time :)

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I just done a VERY important update to totemic.
This means that the totems tick less and won't instantly destroy a server with a decently sized totem pole.[DOUBLEPOST=1391632220][/DOUBLEPOST]
That should be the build name 0.0.6(dowhateverinmodpacks)

Besides that. I will have to talk to you in a personal convo about coding multi-block structures when you have the time :)
Go for it :)

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds awesome, but I hope you plan on making that REALLY expensive. The Feline Amulet from TTKami (does the exact same) requires a Nether Star and a decent amount of essentia.
I don't really ever plan for making things balanced at the start :p
I just put in fun stuff then put a lot config options, make it fun then fix the balance.
Also, it does different things, the Kami one makes the creepers run away, this just stops them from exploding.
And my Totem Beads also require a 'power source' which is the chlorophyll crystals, which it will take a lot
:3

Reactions: DrowElf

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So I see you have an API, modders love APIs.

I think I might have to use that somewhere c:
If you look at the API, it doesn't actually do anything xD
Was just a way for me to check instanceof's of things :p
I will make totems able to add externally... eventually.
I started face rolling and the code ended up that way....

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I agree this is the totemic thread @Pokefenn haha.

I do not fully understand the difficulty in coding a power net yet. However, I know I will soon since I will be implementing one.

I just thought it would be cool, early tier you have to constantly charge and replace and charge and replace. Then as you "tier" up, you could have it charge within inventory, as you mentioned.

:)