Totemic Discussion: Magical Totems

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So yeah, time for another small "rant" on Ceremonies.

I changed how they work, all the plants in Totemic have been removed, and run off Music now. So to choose the effect, you need to play 4 instruments (So, like 2 beats of a Flute, and 2 beats of a Drum would do a certain effect)
Then when the ceremony has selected your effect, the crazy stuff starts, you have to dance around it (This gives more efficiency on the cost), set things on fire, wear specific armour and also the most important part, play music, the music is what is used to power it, kinda. So it will do the effect when it reaches a certain amount of Musical Melody, and the amount it costs is decreased by the amount of different efficiencies you have.

Now for another part of them, how they are different from things like Witchery's Rites, and Blood Magics Rituals. My ceremonies are based on the idea of build up, as in how ceremonies work in real life (Having the bride walk down the isle is one example ;) ) you play your music, and do all of the other effects so you can have a short burst at the end, doing all the effects and stuff. Compared to BMs rituals, which are based on prolonged effects, and Witchery rites which are half and half.

And now something on the state of Totemic, and about how i hope to get it playable soon.
So Totemic is coming along, major features are there (Totems are coded, Ceremonies are close to finished), but mostily the early game stuff is there (I don't have the Crafting Ceremony coded, which is gonna be a MASSIVE pain, but thats not late game)
I'm currently doing things like finishing up stuff, polishing it, adding in a few things, grabbing texturers to do things, and stuff like that.
Dunno when it will be playable, but i posted a mess around build on twitter earlier, built using the jenkins (Thanks Creeperhost :3)

So yeah, things again!

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So umm, yeah, another small update.
After talking a bit with Emoniph about game design, I have just changed it so that Ceremonies are not a new block, instead, when you play music near the Totem Base, it enables the Ceremonies to be preformed, and after a few minutes, it goes back to normal :)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Phantasm23

Jul 29, 2019
Small Bug, sorry, not sure if it's already been reported/fixed.
Using: TOTEMIC-0.3.0A.jar

When using the Draining Totem near Tinker's Construct bushes (Experience Berries in my case), the reverse growth tick appears to cause the bush to change to a Aluminum Oreberry Bush. The Exp Berry bushes were at full growth and had been giving berries for quite some time before I placed the Totems. The only other piece of info I can think to add is that I was using a watering can (Extra Utilities) on crops at the base of the totem, and the Totem (bottom to top) was Draining, Range & Horse.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Small Bug, sorry, not sure if it's already been reported/fixed.
Using: TOTEMIC-0.3.0A.jar

When using the Draining Totem near Tinker's Construct bushes (Experience Berries in my case), the reverse growth tick appears to cause the bush to change to a Aluminum Oreberry Bush. The Exp Berry bushes were at full growth and had been giving berries for quite some time before I placed the Totems. The only other piece of info I can think to add is that I was using a watering can (Extra Utilities) on crops at the base of the totem, and the Totem (bottom to top) was Draining, Range & Horse.
It was fixed in the 1.7.2 version, its a old bug, 1.6.4 is no longer supported :p
That draining feature is actually being removed, soon xD
Sorry

Phantasm23

Jul 29, 2019
Great to hear then, that you were already aware & it's been resolved. Love where this mod is headed. Keep up the great work.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I remember spamming these all over my Botania area when both this and Botania first came out in 1.6 ^^ Memories. Now if only this mod updated to 1.7.10 ouo

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I remember spamming these all over my Botania area when both this and Botania first came out in 1.6 ^^ Memories. Now if only this mod updated to 1.7.10 ouo
The code is still up on Github -nearly- ready for a early release, anyone can finish it off if they wanted to :p
I just lost interest, and some stuff pushed me away from modding.

Reactions: RedBoss

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The code is still up on Github -nearly- ready for a early release, anyone can finish it off if they wanted to :p
I forked it just out of interest but I actually never used it

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I will look at the code and "attempt" at updating it. What will most like come to is me getting frustrated and almost through my laptop out the window like every other time I even try to make a mod or try to update a mod. Memories of trying to update Harken Scythe to 1.6 was a nightmare >~>

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Spent so much time on that sexy totemic wand too. >:C

U8Le272.png

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if Vaz would implement this to Botania .3. Totemic was kind of like of like a sister mod to Botania. It felt weird not to have Totemic with out Botania to me anyway, and the code is there, and as Pokefenn said
-nearly- ready for a early release, anyone can finish it off if they wanted to :p
And powering totems with Mana would be pretty sweet :3 But that is just my opinion. Also I say this because I only ended screwing it up and if anything making it de-ready for an early release >.> It's a shame, I would love to maintain this mod, but my coding skills are very minimal.
I think I will stick to the Turning coding language till I think I am ready to move to Java

Reactions: SynfulChaot

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Someone would need to teach me how this mod works.
I was trying to follow the instructions in the MCF thread but I already fail at not being able to find a "cedar metamorphiser". I suppose that has changed?

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Someone would need to teach me how this mod works.
I was trying to follow the instructions in the MCF thread but I already fail at not being able to find a "cedar metamorphiser". I suppose that has changed?
In the source code, the cedar stuff got moved into ceremonies. All other information of stuff is outdated (apart from the Totempedia in the github)
Cedar Wood became later game upgrades to your totem pole, and was one of the available wood types (Different wood allowed you to create musical melody in different ways)

Reactions: ljfa

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I might fork this later on, as I'm more interested in doing stuff to the totems themselves. Basically, I got interested in Cubesism and wondered why no one thought to make a proper mod out of these ideas. Initially it would just be the prime three (Roki, Terrae, and Net), but if there was interest I could add more to it.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Sunconure11

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, I'm looking at Ljfa's fork of this mod. Do bison have a texture yet? If not, do you have a model in a format that can be used with a modeler such as Techne, Tabula or Blender? Or am I going to have to model Bison myself?

Last edited: