Totemic Discussion: Magical Totems

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Question
Are multiple types of totems meant to work on the same pole?
I'm currently trying to get a draining totem to work with a feeding one so that the crystal stays topped up so it can feed me while I'm in my base.
The draining is working, but the food one isn't..

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Question
Are multiple types of totems meant to work on the same pole?
I'm currently trying to get a draining totem to work with a feeding one so that the crystal stays topped up so it can feed me while I'm in my base.
The draining is working, but the food one isn't..
Totems do stack.
The food totem only feeds you when you are under about 5 bars though.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Totemic is definitely going to go into some kind of playthrough...I have been doing Bevo's Tech Pack but may rip out GregTech and add in this and Botania(notice something in that thread XD)

Reactions: Not_Steve

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So, i might as well talk about the new thing i am working on.

Introducting, new plants!
Totemic will feature about atleast 5 new plants, these are: Moonglow, Bloodwart, Lotus and 2 more that i havent coded.
All of these will create more plant essence when drained in certain circumstances, for example, the bloodwart will create more in the nether, and moonglow will make more at night.
These plants will have general crafting uses also, and not just for ceremonies and draining.
To get these plants, i have been thinking about a simple idea, more or less you ahve a little box, this box, when you throw in a seed, in a certain place/time, and another item, will change the seed into something else.
So if you place a seed and a nether wart in it in the nether, you would get bloodwart for example.

Ceremonies.

Ceremonies, to put it simple, are a ritualistic ceremony to preform a certain effect onto the world, or nearby players.
Ceremonies are powered by Plant Essence, like Totems, apart from that they cannot use a Chlorophyll Crystal (I am thinking about making it VERY late tier, or removing it completely), so to do its desired effects, it must drain nearby plants of their essence.
To chose the effect of a ceremony, you must place 4 different plants 3 blocks away from the ceremony intelligence, the combination of plants will declare what they are. For example, 4 moonglows will create a ceremony that makes it night time. And 2 moonglow and 2 bloodwart could create one which makes it night, and also causes mobs to spawn due to a "blood moon".
Draining essence from plants for the ceremonies is not that simple though, all of the ceremonies have a certain amount of a plant to be drained. So lets say it takes 200 Life Essence for the night time ceremony, 75% of that must come from moonglows, the rest of it, you can choose what to use it from.
You can improve the efficiency of these ceremonies further than just using plants when/where they are efficient, certain blocks (Such as Totem Sockets, and Totem Torches) will increase the efficiency, meaning that you get more plant essence out of each plant.
You can also dance around the Ceremony, if players move over a certain amount of blocks within a certain amount of time, then the Efficiency gets increased.

Totem Torch:
A nice little block with a little model, emits light and has some nice particle effects, also slightly bigger than one block, http://puu.sh/7TgEm.jpg

So yeah, hows this sound?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
So, i might as well talk about the new thing i am working on.

Introducting, new plants!
Totemic will feature about atleast 5 new plants, these are: Moonglow, Bloodwart, Lotus and 2 more that i havent coded.
All of these will create more plant essence when drained in certain circumstances, for example, the bloodwart will create more in the nether, and moonglow will make more at night.
These plants will have general crafting uses also, and not just for ceremonies and draining.
To get these plants, i have been thinking about a simple idea, more or less you ahve a little box, this box, when you throw in a seed, in a certain place/time, and another item, will change the seed into something else.
So if you place a seed and a nether wart in it in the nether, you would get bloodwart for example.

Ceremonies.

Ceremonies, to put it simple, are a ritualistic ceremony to preform a certain effect onto the world, or nearby players.
Ceremonies are powered by Plant Essence, like Totems, apart from that they cannot use a Chlorophyll Crystal (I am thinking about making it VERY late tier, or removing it completely), so to do its desired effects, it must drain nearby plants of their essence.
To chose the effect of a ceremony, you must place 4 different plants 3 blocks away from the ceremony intelligence, the combination of plants will declare what they are. For example, 4 moonglows will create a ceremony that makes it night time. And 2 moonglow and 2 bloodwart could create one which makes it night, and also causes mobs to spawn due to a "blood moon".
Draining essence from plants for the ceremonies is not that simple though, all of the ceremonies have a certain amount of a plant to be drained. So lets say it takes 200 Life Essence for the night time ceremony, 75% of that must come from moonglows, the rest of it, you can choose what to use it from.
You can improve the efficiency of these ceremonies further than just using plants when/where they are efficient, certain blocks (Such as Totem Sockets, and Totem Torches) will increase the efficiency, meaning that you get more plant essence out of each plant.
You can also dance around the Ceremony, if players move over a certain amount of blocks within a certain amount of time, then the Efficiency gets increased.

Totem Torch:
A nice little block with a little model, emits light and has some nice particle effects, also slightly bigger than one block, http://puu.sh/7TgEm.jpg

So yeah, hows this sound?

Worst idea ever.
:p

Actually sounds interesting. Looking forward to see how you tackle the dancing.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Worst idea ever.
:p

Actually sounds interesting. Looking forward to see how you tackle the dancing.
Dancing is the hardest part, due to minecraft lacking any... special things you can do.
It will more than likely just be running around and shifting, once i get it done properly (Currently, its just running around)

Also, im needing textures, so if anyone wants to texture this stuff... :D

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a heads-up, Totemic is overwriting the vanilla Saturation potion effect, which causes problems in GeoStrata--specifically, the "Horse" effect when applied will zoom the FOV in extremely far, will not apply any sort of speed boost, and then "sticks", making it impossible to return the FOV to normal even after the potion effect expires (forcing the user to restart the client). This is something of a big deal for Magic World 2 users like myself.

Additionally, the Totempedia isn't working with Bibliocraft bookshelves, which makes me sad. :(

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a heads-up, Totemic is overwriting the vanilla Saturation potion effect, which causes problems in GeoStrata--specifically, the "Horse" effect when applied will zoom the FOV in extremely far, will not apply any sort of speed boost, and then "sticks", making it impossible to return the FOV to normal even after the potion effect expires (forcing the user to restart the client). This is something of a big deal for Magic World 2 users like myself.

Additionally, the Totempedia isn't working with Bibliocraft bookshelves, which makes me sad. :(
All potion effects IDs can be changed in the config value, so that can easily be fixed :)
And yeah, bilbiocraft hard codes them to have a certain word in their name >.>
So they wont work unless he does that.

Reactions: Flipz

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So yeah, a small, I don't think 'rant' is the correct word, but a thing about the design of Totemic.

So, to start it off, Totemic does not follow a basic design of something from the word, or themes, like how Witchery follows Witchcraft, or how Blood Magic follows... Blood Magic, Totemic instead has a central idea (Kinda the same, but different, i think) and that idea is defined by Totemic, and to explain it a bit more, its kinda tribal, with lots of wood, coloured feathers, and the such.
Using this 'concept' i then try to pull ideas out of religions, or cultures and bring them into a more suitable part for the mod (Obviously trying not to offend anyone), like totems were taken from... well, Totemism, and there are lots of other ideas borrowed from other places.
This is kinda a complicated thing for me to explain, since I have it in my head, but I didn't know how to explain very well, so it will look like a mess to anyone reading it xD
This tiny thing was sparked by someone asking if i wanted to be the "Random Things" of Magic mods, due to me wanting to implement things which aren't in a central theme (I was thinking about a Greek mythological box... hehe, but that could fit if i 'totemicfied' it ;) )
So umm, yeah... things!
And yeah, the rework is coming along, with both school, and modjam, things might slow down a tiny :p (but if you look on git, stuff is still happening.)
I also have a better way of creating totems done (This will make @Eyamaz happy ;) )
So yeah!