Totemic Discussion: Magical Totems

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Perhaps a totem that puts animals into breeding mode?

Oh. And, as one who has grown up and seen *actual* totem poles, I'd love to see an eagle totem. Especially if it was a three-wide totem with wings. No clue on purpose, but I'd top alla my totem poles with that just because I could. ^.^
Maybe this could increase the range of the totem polls. Maybe different animals are craftable and add more range per tier

Last edited:

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps a totem that puts animals into breeding mode?

Oh. And, as one who has grown up and seen *actual* totem poles, I'd love to see an eagle totem. Especially if it was a three-wide totem with wings. No clue on purpose, but I'd top alla my totem poles with that just because I could. ^.^
The bat totem was meant to be like a eagle one... but a bat :p
Totems will become totem poles (requiring to be taller and having more than one effect) once i get all this code worked out >.>[DOUBLEPOST=1391077411][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes to the anti griefing totem. Anti teleporting totem seems a little pointless since they only teleport if you shoot a projectile (not an AM2 one, by the way), if you look at their face, or if it is raining. And to prevent rain there is the Sun totem.

Suggestion: darker totems, currently the totems are all based around helping players. how about naturally spawning totems that have negative buffs to the player? Like spawning lots and lots of mobs, but can help the player when you turn them into a new totem that is ultimately more powerful than the ones implemented.
Anti teleporting would have a use for mobtraps, so they woudn't teleport away in water moving them :p
Painted totems will be coming in the future, painting a totem black will make their effects go 'bad' thats what the paint brush is for[DOUBLEPOST=1391077462][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe this could increase the range of the totem polls. Maybe different animals are craftable and add more range per tier
Totem range increasing has -kinda- been designed, its one of those 'wait and see' things, since it doesn't fit into the current code concept that well, we'll see :p

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
"Reinforced Totem" - Stops Zombies being able to break down wooden doors on Hard Mode, plus give +1 armour buff to players within range. (Dark version breaks doors on normal mode and -1 armour buff)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Vague question, but quite well :)
Writing the new multiblock system now, then i need up other stuff, then it will be -ready- for past a weird release like here.
How are you? :3

Good. Busy trying to get my tech tree/recipe rewrite done for BnB so I can do final testing.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
"Reinforced Totem" - Stops Zombies being able to break down wooden doors on Hard Mode, plus give +1 armour buff to players within range. (Dark version breaks doors on normal mode and -1 armour buff)
I had a look at the code, door breaking is AI code, which I cannot change/interact with.
Armour, maybe, ill have a look at that in a minute.[DOUBLEPOST=1391080632][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good. Busy trying to get my tech tree/recipe rewrite done for BnB so I can do final testing.
Ooh, excited to see it :)
That was the one that you trolled slowpoke with, right?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I had a look at the code, door breaking is AI code, which I cannot change/interact with.
Armour, maybe, ill have a look at that in a minute.
What about instead if the totem detects a vanilla door in range, it switches it with a new door that zombies don't recognize as a door. That would solve the AI change on hard mode.
Many mod doors zombies haven't a clue about.
If the totem as a larger radius, you could build a totem in a village, and protect it that way. Looks better then dirt blocks in front of doorways :D

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
What about instead if the totem detects a vanilla door in range, it switches it with a new door that zombies don't recognize as a door. That would solve the AI change on hard mode.
Many mod doors zombies haven't a clue about.
If the totem as a larger radius, you could build a totem in a village, and protect it that way. Looks better then dirt blocks in front of doorways :D
Seems a little bit elaborate...
These things are always the things that get really buggy >.> I may try in the future.
Also, would people want the totems to turn off with a redstone signal?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Seems a little bit elaborate...
These things are always the things that get really buggy >.> I may try in the future.
Also, would people want the totems to turn off with a redstone signal?

In my opinion, a redstone signal turning off a totem just by itself doesn't seem right to me.

In my head, I would love to see you modify part of the totem with a particular type of animal to enable redstone signal switching.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
So with code actually being done and content actually being created, I thought it'd be about time for a thread, since totemic allows for easy implementation of simple concepts.

What is totemic?
Totemic, to put it simply is a basic 'magical based' minecraft mod which revolves around the creation of totems, which are comparable to vannila beacons.
Totemic is created by yours truely (Pokefenn) in a very messy combination of Scala and Java (Mostily java currently)

What Totemic adds
Totemic adds, as you would expect totems, they are fuel'd by plant essence and do their effects based on what totems are inside.

Totem Base:
This is a basic block which you put your totems and chlorophyll crystal, it will do the effect of the totems and drain the chlorophyll crystal.
In the future this will become apart of the multiblock totem system.

Totem of Draining:
This will drain the life essence of all nearby plants (reducing their metadata), this plant essence will then be used to fuel your totems.
This is gui-less.

Chlorophyll Solidifier:
By using this machine you can infuse things with Liquid Chlorophyll, placing a diamond in here with 16 buckets of chlrophyll will create your Chlorophyll solidifier.
This is guil-less.

Totem Table:
This is the main crafting mechanic in Totemic, by placing something in here then using a certain item on it you can do certain things to it.
For example, placing a totem in then hitting it with a whittling knife will create a different totems.
This is also gui-less.

Totems:

Ocelot: This will stop all nearby creepers from exploding - Implemented
Horse: This gives you a speed boost: Implemented
Quartz Block: This works like a magnet and will fill up nearby inventories with items nearby on the ground: Kinda implemented
Blaze: This will give nearby players fire resistance: Implemented
Cactus: Damages nearby entities: Implemented
Bat: Gives nearby players flight: Kinda implemented
Sun: This will stop rain: Implemented
Food: This feeds you: implemented

Future plans:
Totems will be a multiblock strucutre, since the code for this is a bit annoying, It's not gonna happen for a little bit :p

Totem beads:
This will allow you to give the players DIRECTLY the power of the totems, so you don't need a nearby totem to have the effects.

Downloads:
While totemic is still HEAVILY in development, I may drop a build or two every once in awhile to get the bugs out to a wider audience, these builds should not be used in a proper world and MAY ruin it, because of this i would appreciate if you didn't put it into modpacks :)

Latest:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d17inn87j9jl88/Totemic-0.0.3.jar

Changelog:
Added the Totem of Food (This feeds nearby players ;) ) and fixed a few little derps.
Started on the multiblock system.

Fixed bugs and added a few more textures, NBT tag items cant be put in the chlorophyll solidifier.

Added all the things!

I also want to point out that I don't want to turn this into another vineacraft thread, this is mearly for suggestions and thoughts, not some weird hype train... xD

Totemic is open source at https://github.com/Pokefenn/Totemic
If you need to know anything, grab me on irc at #totemic, @Pokefenn on twitter or on this thread.

(The incredible logo is done by Mr BigBadChris, go thank him ! :) )
Sound cool

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Totemic 0.0.3c is released, in the OP as usual ;)
Thanks to SciGuyRyan for getting these crash reports, they only appeared on a server... >.>

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Some defensive totems? Like spitting fire bolts (not balls, don't want to have a destroyed lawn after a night) at mobs in range. Fixed facing so you will need to place them properly for proper coverage?

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Some defensive totems? Like spitting fire bolts (not balls, don't want to have a destroyed lawn after a night) at mobs in range. Fixed facing so you will need to place them properly for proper coverage?
Potentially in the future, the cactus totem does that, yet in a small range (since it is made for mob traps :p )
Currently, I just want to work on clean up and the multiblock system >.>
On my 'to do list'

Reactions: PierceSG

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Sciguyryan found yet another crash because of a derp on my part.
0.0.4a is released, as usual, check the OP :)

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019

Future plans:
Totems will be a multiblock strucutre, since the code for this is a bit annoying, It's not gonna happen for a little bit :p

TT___TT I know your pain ugh

As for everything else, this sounds pretty awesome, I will be keeping my eye on dis one here friend :D

Reactions: Pokefenn