Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Hrm. Just tested this again, there's two fertilized dirt types, 1351 and 1352. One block is slightly taller than the other and totally unplantable, while the other will accept seeds, but they then pop off when they get an update. Not sure what that's about...

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. Just tested this again, there's two fertilized dirt types, 1351 and 1352. One block is slightly taller than the other and totally unplantable, while the other will accept seeds, but they then pop off when they get an update. Not sure what that's about...

.... You have to hoe it if you wanna plant seeds on it?^^

Hmmm. I'm not sure if the author ment it to be an exploit fix, but I'm considering it to be it. Infinite amounts of ore isn't even fun. It's destroying the fun. This is just thoughts, of course, but I don't think the mod author wants it to be so op.

Why are they still plantable then and just pop off after some time? :p

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
"In seconds?" You either have an instance of Random Things where the fertilized dirt is configured with a MASSIVE growth buff, or you are engaging in a truly ludicrous level of hyperbole. With just the fertilized dirt alone (and NOT intentionally configured to be obscenely overpowered), you'd still be looking at a few days, if you're just using an initial seed crop with the standard chance of getting a second seed, to get your "infinite ores;" another ludicrous hyperbole because those ores take time (I'll cop to it being slightly less than on regular farm land) to grow, in addition to the time and resources going into their processing. Calling their interaction overpowered, or even more hilariously an "exploit," would be like calling the interaction between Magic Crops and a single Lilypad of Fertility to be overpowered because it gives you a tiny gain in growth speed.

Now, if you combine the fertilized dirt with fertility lilies, you may have a small case assuming you use a metric tonne of of the latter. Combining those with lamps of growth and/or a RotaryCraft fertilizer? Oh yeah, THEN you're talking about something that might be considered a little cheaty, depending on to whom you're speaking. However, the (again, by default) tiny growth increase from fertilized dirt alone isn't anywhere near the realm of an exploit, unless you're somebody like Greg, who would consider a machine that gives you one extra tiny dust out of your ores than what his machine provides an exploit. Once more, you would have to intentionally configure Random Things to be overpowered for it to actually be overpowered.

This isn't an "exploit fix," this is a bug, even if Lumien might (again, don't know, haven't heard his opinion either way on this matter) consider it to be the former. Its just like MFR not natively working with force trees from DartCraft. That was a bug that Skyboy simply refused to fix, so someone else decided to fix it for him with DartPatch, but that whole thing is another gripe for another day.

In the vein of Random Things, fertilized dirt (as of 1.7.10) does need to be tilled to work now. However, once it is tilled, it stays tilled until something actually breaks the block itself. No amount of jumping or landing on it, no matter from what height you do it (I've tested it all the way from build height to sea level) will untill it. A slight annoyance, but one that's easily rectified with a hoe. Also, vanilla crops work on it just fine, it just seems to be mod crops that don't like it. For example, RotaryCraft canola will plant on the dirt, but refuse to grow, even if you apply the beauty of a reinforced watering can straight to its proverbial face. Wheat, potatoes, and carrots, however, work exactly as advertised, so I'm chalking this up to a mod crop bug of some sort.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Apologies, then, my brain must've skipped over that bit by accident. Also, I meant a few real-life days, not Minecraft days. My primary point is, it just seems a tad ridiculous to consider a small growth boost on par with, back in the 1.4 days, a single layer of xychorium soil to be an exploit. If it were stackable, like you could with xychorium soil, then you'd be on to something, but this is all up to personal taste. Personally, I the small growth boost is secondary when I use fertilized dirt, the main thing that I use it for is so I don't need water and don't have to worry about it because I like having big farms out in the open where they can get lots of nice sun and look cool on the minimap, and I won't trample it when I get my power armour and run around like a maniac, jumpingabout to avoid skeleton arrows and other such things.

Another little botheration is that my golems, somehow find their way thru walls. I've got a force tree farm going using golems, and its bordered on 3 sides by walls of warded, 4x compressed cobble, and sometimes I log in or come home to find one of my little buddies sitting outside in the rain all scared and confused. I'm not sure if its because the ME interface I have them using is next to said wall or what, but I don't want a skeleton or something with a ranged attack (my castle is bordered with warded paving stones of warding, so things can't just walk up to my front door) pegging them. Because if something dares kill one of my little golem buddies, I am duty-bound to go on a xenocidal rampage to avenge my fallen friend, likely involving a rocket launcher and nerve gas...and nerve gas rockets can get expensive when made en masse, and they don't stack.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I like the part that it doesn't un-till if something jumps on it. Monsters and occasionally myself always like to ruin my farms.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Guys check out plant growth accelerator. It adds blocks that will drastically increase magical crops growth. Its a lot like xycraft soil except you place this block under normal hoed dirt and it sends extra growth ticks to the plant above the plowed dirt block. Putting more under that first one will stack.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking to the keybind thing, yeah. I wish FTB would ship with some kind of mostly standardized keybind setup that works for *someone* (even if only one kind of player) instead of a default-for-all setup that works for *no one* because of conflicts.

Also, I love Rotarycraft, but it irks me that a comparator clock creates so much energy (law of conservation of energy) in the AC engine.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Speaking to the keybind thing, yeah. I wish FTB would ship with some kind of mostly standardized keybind setup that works for *someone* (even if only one kind of player) instead of a default-for-all setup that works for *no one* because of conflicts.

Also, I love Rotarycraft, but it irks me that a comparator clock creates so much energy (law of conservation of energy) in the AC engine.

The problem is that there are not enough keys. Hence the mod name not enough keys. You have to configure this stuff because each person uses a different mods tool which has its own keys. Mekanism, ic2, etc etc etc.. There are just too many mods and not enough keys ;)

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
It's a good thought, but unfortunately, that would mean erasing the user's custom keybinds every update.
Yeah.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, it wouldn't be that hard. Just have a dialogue and/or check box in the settings menu that asks if the user wants their user-specific data (servers, keybinds, waypoints, etc) to be preserved across updates. When an update comes, you back those up somewhere else temporarily, do the update, and then restore the user's data from said backup. Its almost trivially easy, since you know exactly what files you're looking for and where they are.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So there also could be a way to preserve one's keybinding across modpacks as well as updates?
Do you controls and graphical master settings once, and it'll default to that whenever you launch.​
It shouldn't be too hard. The way I'd do it is have a button in the Options menu or somesuch that says "Select Master Settings," which would then prompt you for the instance which holds your master settings. Once selected, the necessary files are copied to the launcher's main folder in a safe place that won't get overwritten, unless you wish change your master settings, and when you download a new modpack and/or update, the launcher checks for those master settings and, if they're there, it overwrites what's in the pack's instance folder (after updating/downloading, of course) with what's in the master settings folder and boom, done.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
OMG this looks so nice. I can only imagine the things that would be done if FTB and Technic combines forces
The FTB team wouldn't have to worry about the laucher cause that seems to be the only thing the Technic's team is doing. Technic hasn't added a new pack since Attack of the B-Team. To be honest, before I saw @coolsquid321's link, I thought it shut down or something.