Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Now see, that would be neat. If I had the knowledge, I'd at least make one that uses Python. Guess I could study CCs code and figure out how dan200 did his thing and adapt it. Though, I'd want to give it an interface a la MPS so you can fit more'n about a dozen lines of code per screen. Maybe something semi-futuristic with flat-panel displays and SD cards and stuff.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Now see, that would be neat. If I had the knowledge, I'd at least make one that uses Python. Guess I could study CCs code and figure out how dan200 did his thing and adapt it. Though, I'd want to give it an interface a la MPS so you can fit more'n about a dozen lines of code per screen. Maybe something semi-futuristic with flat-panel displays and SD cards and stuff.

Something that would fit within SteamPunk: a Steam Golem. A mechanical construct that you program by making different parts and assembling them in different ways internally. It would be like visual programming, but with gears and other components. And as the name suggests, it would run off of steam.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Something that would fit within SteamPunk: a Steam Golem. A mechanical construct that you program by making different parts and assembling them in different ways internally. It would be like visual programming, but with gears and other components. And as the name suggests, it would run off of steam.
This sounds a lot like the Drones in PneumaticCraft. Except they run on compressed air rather than steam.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
This sounds a lot like the Drones in PneumaticCraft. Except they run on compressed air rather than steam.

I haven't looked at PneumaticCraft since drones were added. Need to take a peek at them. Of course, with a Steam Golem you can get all the nifty steamy sound and visual effects. :) I have a thing for the genre...

Reactions: Pyure

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah, IC2 nukes are a prime example of how annoying the wrench mechanics can be. Its difficult to determine the "front" face of many of the blocks you're working with (turbines, heat exchangers and so forth). Definitely a lesson in patience.

Btw, another option (for moving them): iirc, you can move IC2 machines with a dolly.

Just wanted to say that your tip was a lifesaver! I made twenty or so dollies, and moved every machine block without a hitch, some of them multiple times. Also made it easier to reorient the blocks to try and match up the correct surfaces, that part is still a work in progress. (Anyone have a guide to setting up Fluid Regulators? Or can I just use pressurized fluid pipes?)

Thanks for the help!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just wanted to say that your tip was a lifesaver! I made twenty or so dollies, and moved every machine block without a hitch, some of them multiple times. Also made it easier to reorient the blocks to try and match up the correct surfaces, that part is still a work in progress. (Anyone have a guide to setting up Fluid Regulators? Or can I just use pressurized fluid pipes?)

Thanks for the help!
Glad to help.

What do you need to know about the fluid regulators? If you're doing what I think you're doing I probably have a better solution for that too.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Glad to help.

What do you need to know about the fluid regulators? If you're doing what I think you're doing I probably have a better solution for that too.

I've been setting up the IC2 Fluid Cooled Reactor primarily using U-Tube videos (1, 2)as a guide, as I haven't had any luck finding a step-by-step document tutorial for the fluid version. Both of these sample setups use a chain of IC2 machines;

[Reactor Fluid Port or Hot Coolant Tank]
Heat Exchanger (1)
Heat Exchanger (2)
Steam Generator
Kinetic Steam Generator (1)
Kinetic Generator (1)​
Kinetic Steam Generator (2)
Kinetic Generator (2)​
Condenser​

From the Condenser, it appears that the setup above uses four Fluid Regulators to shift the distilled water output back to... the reactor vessel? The Steam Generator? I got lost at this step. If it's just to move water back to the start of the cycle, and I'm planning on filling with distilled water anyway, to avoid calcification, should I just use pipes/ducts instead of Regulators?

Appreciate any tips on how to finish this setup!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've been setting up the IC2 Fluid Cooled Reactor primarily using U-Tube videos (1, 2)as a guide, as I haven't had any luck finding a step-by-step document tutorial for the fluid version. Both of these sample setups use a chain of IC2 machines;

[Reactor Fluid Port or Hot Coolant Tank]
Heat Exchanger (1)
Heat Exchanger (2)
Steam Generator
Kinetic Steam Generator (1)
Kinetic Generator (1)​
Kinetic Steam Generator (2)
Kinetic Generator (2)​
Condenser​

From the Condenser, it appears that the setup above uses four Fluid Regulators to shift the distilled water output back to... the reactor vessel? The Steam Generator? I got lost at this step. If it's just to move water back to the start of the cycle, and I'm planning on filling with distilled water anyway, to avoid calcification, should I just use pipes/ducts instead of Regulators?

Appreciate any tips on how to finish this setup!
Depending on which Youtube vid you're watching, you may be getting a vanilla-IC2 example. IC2 doesn't have its own piping system, so they use a (completely insane) method of shifting water around via regulators.

Use enderio pipes.

Couple notes:
1) For some mysterious reason, even if you're FILTERING with enderio pipes to only pull out water, you may (rarely) get clogs of steam in your pipes. Account for this. Route that steam into something like an emergency turbine to handle it.
2) Your nuclear setup will not create the absolute perfect amount of hot coolant in all likelihood. You will want some sort of overflow handler for the extra hot coolant. I typically route it to a Stirling setup.
3) You can do the overflow thing with a regulator in theory, but my absolute favorite solution is to use thermal dynamic tanks. Stack a few portable tanks on each other. Hot Coolant should go into that stack. Put an extracting fluid conduit on the TOP tank. Make sure you have lots of coolant in your system. Very gradually the stack of tanks will rise until some coolant goes into the top tank. That fluid will get extracted into your overflow system (Stirlings). This is the ONLY way I've ever made a perfect IC2 nuclear system with ZERO steam explosions.

Reactions: Greystoke

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Depending on which Youtube vid you're watching, you may be getting a vanilla-IC2 example. IC2 doesn't have its own piping system, so they use a (completely insane) method of shifting water around via regulators.

Use enderio pipes.

Couple notes:
1) For some mysterious reason, even if you're FILTERING with enderio pipes to only pull out water, you may (rarely) get clogs of steam in your pipes. Account for this. Route that steam into something like an emergency turbine to handle it.
2) Your nuclear setup will not create the absolute perfect amount of hot coolant in all likelihood. You will want some sort of overflow handler for the extra hot coolant. I typically route it to a Stirling setup.
3) You can do the overflow thing with a regulator in theory, but my absolute favorite solution is to use thermal dynamic tanks. Stack a few portable tanks on each other. Hot Coolant should go into that stack. Put an extracting fluid conduit on the TOP tank. Make sure you have lots of coolant in your system. Very gradually the stack of tanks will rise until some coolant goes into the top tank. That fluid will get extracted into your overflow system (Stirlings). This is the ONLY way I've ever made a perfect IC2 nuclear system with ZERO steam explosions.

I much prefer using EnderIO pipes, for my first reactor build I was trying to replicate other example systems, and I didn't know what was required versus optional in those setups. The external coolant tank sounds like a great idea, as it will also give a visual indicator for coolant levels - like a really big sight-glass.

Thanks again for the organizational inspiration! (Now I'll stop hijacking the thread, if I have further questions I'll start a new thread. Promise.)

Reactions: Pyure

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Worth noting as steam is a compressed gas- almost anything steam powered can ran off an air compressor. The reverse is also true as long as the device itself can withstand higher operating temperatures.
(in other words- a steampunk addon for Pnumaticraft would be comparatively easy to implement- mostly renaming stuff and a new set of textures)

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Which begs the question of whether anyone tried attaching Flaxbeard's steam generators to PheumaticCraft machines?

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Which begs the question of whether anyone tried attaching Flaxbeard's steam generators to PheumaticCraft machines?

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk
If memory serves, Flaxbeards has no liquid steam or anything like that; the pipes don't actually carry anything, they just tell the mod what's connected to where; the pressures and things balance out. Pneumaticraft may work in the same manner, I'm not sure, but I very much doubt it does it in the same way, so this would be a non-starter.

Would be interesting though...!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
If memory serves, Flaxbeards has no liquid steam or anything like that; the pipes don't actually carry anything, they just tell the mod what's connected to where; the pressures and things balance out.
Your memory is correct. You can turn it into liquid steam with the Pressure Converter though. The pressure calculation is slightly more complicated in the upcoming Esteemed Innovation, though, so that's exciting :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
It irks me that building with wood blocks can cause such heartache, which results in "smart" players being forced into using ugly cobblestone for all early-game builds.

One of my most memorable play-thrus of a modpack ended up similar to this poor fella's...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/5ka3ij/i_hate_lightning/

Of course, in my case, it wasn't lightning. Oh no. I was playing on a server, and someone left me a "gift" in a chest. Silly me, I had no idea what sort of havoc a single block of Railcraft's "Firestone" can cause the instant you pick it up into your hands. I found out the hard way. Looking back, its highly hilarious of course, that recollection of me frantically trying to put out all the little fires in vain, and watching as it slowly but surely consumed my entire house. That was the last time I ever built with wood. A sad day indeed.

Yes, I do realize that Forestry was thoughtful enough to create wood blocks that are fireproof. The problem is, you can't access those blocks during early game when they would be most appreciated, and when wood is most likely to be used as a building material.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It irks me that building with wood blocks can cause such heartache, which results in "smart" players being forced into using ugly cobblestone for all early-game builds.

One of my most memorable play-thrus of a modpack ended up similar to this poor fella's...

Of course, in my case, it wasn't lightning. Oh no. I was playing on a server, and someone left me a "gift" in a chest. Silly me, I had no idea what sort of havoc a single block of Railcraft's "Firestone" can cause the instant you pick it up into your hands. I found out the hard way. Looking back, its highly hilarious of course, that recollection of me frantically trying to put out all the little fires in vain, and watching as it slowly but surely consumed my entire house. That was the last time I ever built with wood. A sad day indeed.

Yes, I do realize that Forestry was thoughtful enough to create wood blocks that are fireproof. The problem is, you can't access those blocks during early game when they would be most appreciated, and when wood is most likely to be used as a building material.
Get an OP to do /doFireTick false
That is the second thing I do after /mobGriefing false.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

It's even worse with the weather mod because you also have to worry about tornadoes and WAY more lightning.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Alternate options:
1. Build in a biome that does not rain/thunder.
2. Build underground.
3. Build underground in a colorful, non-rainy biome (mesas).
4. Fireproof builds (Hey, some of us remember something called the tree spirit challenge :)