Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019

...oh, you're using EnderIO? That could be a problem. The turbine dynamo was designed with tesseracts in mind, which have infinite throughput, unlike EnderIO's alternatives. I mean, sure, you could probably set up a massive capacitor bank that has a high enough RF/tick/side to cope with a turbine... but if you don't have access to tesseracts (or at least cryo-stabilized fluxducts), you may well be better off with a gazillion shaft junctions and rotational dynamos.

So, when I'm trying to make a modpack (just for my personal use) with Reika's mods, it's best to plan at least the Thermal-mods into it, too?
(wanted to leave all the common machine-mods out, like ender io and such, so now I'm wondering after coincidentally over this posting)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
ElectriCraft RF transfer cables can handle up to, if memory serves, Integer.MAX_VALUE RF/t, depending on how you configure the line.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So, when I'm trying to make a modpack (just for my personal use) with Reika's mods, it's best to plan at least the Thermal-mods into it, too?
(wanted to leave all the common machine-mods out, like ender io and such, so now I'm wondering after coincidentally over this posting)
If you want to leave out all the big RF mods, you won't have much use for the turbine dynamo anyway. No harm done.

The issue I was describing was relevant only in the case that the modpack in question had large RF sinks (such as Mekanism or Draconic Evolution), but no mechanism of RF transfer that could actually keep up with a ReC turbine. If you have no mods that need huge amounts of RF, you'd be fine with a couple of single-block rotational dynamos.

The only other possible use case for the turbine dynamo is if you want to transport power over long distances or across dimensions by converting it to RF, running it through a Tesseract or something similar, and then converting it back into shaft power with magnetostatics. But Reika tries really hard to discourage you from using magnetostatics (even though AFAIK he uses them- or, at least, used them at some time in the past- for precisely that putpose), so if you've got access to Chromaticraft world rifts to teleport shaft power or Electricraft power, that's almost certainly the better option.

And I had forgotten about ElC's RF cable and RF battery. I don't really know anything about them... but if they do, indeed, have infinite throughput, then they would solve the problem of not having any way to get all the power out of a turbine dynamo quite nicely.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
I see, good to know :)
Still trying to figure out to have at least a bit of power-using mods, but in any case another question. Really new to reactorcraft, electricraft and rotarycraft.

- If the capacity of the batteries and reactors ever go full, will it just stop working or in worst case explode?
(as more I try to figure out how reactorcraft works, as more ways for possible explosions I seem to find, hehe)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I see, good to know :)
Still trying to figure out to have at least a bit of power-using mods, but in any case another question. Really new to reactorcraft, electricraft and rotarycraft.

- If the capacity of the batteries and reactors ever go full, will it just stop working or in worst case explode?
(as more I try to figure out how reactorcraft works, as more ways for possible explosions I seem to find, hehe)
If you're talking Electricraft batteries, I'm not certain offhand, but as fas as I know, they'll just stop filling when they become full, effectively wasting power. They may try to send power being fed into them somewhere else; I don't really know.

If you're talking Rotarycraft batteries (i.e. industrial coils), they will explode. Even the bedrock ones.

Windsprings in a coil winder will just break if you overcharge them, destroying the spring, but nothing else (I assume; not tested); bedrock windsprings will never break, so eventually they'll charge to the point where your engines don't have enough torque to crank them up any farther and just stop charging.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Creative test worlds are your friend with ReC

Ah, always seem to forget about doing stuff in creative to see how it works. ^^" Thank you!
Thanks for this advice. Guess I only need to hope that I won't forget this one block somewhere when actually building it in the normal world then. (happened before... with IC2 nuclear... was not a nice ending *smirks painfully*)

----

@Someone Else 37
Thanks for the fast answers and helpful hints. :)

Guess in the end, all asking and searching doesn't protect me from a few explosions while testing it, hehe.

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
ElectriCraft batteries do not explode, unlike industrial coils. The only danger I've experienced is the wires melting into lava if overcharged. If a battery is full, it simply won't accept more power, which is why it's a good idea to have a few empties on hand, so you waste as little as possible.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Dead thread, I command you to ARISE!!!

What irks me as of late? Curse launcher showing updates available for mods that are not compatible with the version of forgecraft you are currently using...

Update.. load... ModX needs newer forge.. Close.. Downgrade... Load... ModY needs newer forge... rinse repeat...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

What irks me as of late? Curse launcher showing updates available for mods that are not compatible with the version of forgecraft you are currently using...

Update.. load... ModX needs newer forge.. Close.. Downgrade... Load... ModY needs newer forge... rinse repeat...
This is why we should not use the garbage client Curse provides, anyone who uses it exclusively (and doesn't allow alternate ways to play a mod pack) doesn't care about the player.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
This is why we should not use the garbage client Curse provides, anyone who uses it exclusively (and doesn't allow alternate ways to play a mod pack) doesn't care about the player.

Tut tut... I'm no fan of Curse either, but damn... tell me how you really feel.. :p

Still, it's an irk.. that's what the thread is for :)

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius

or, you know, maybe update forge to a newer version? Is there some specific reason you don't want to update forge?
Well I quite like the curse launcher. In my experience, it's turned cobbling together a simple modpack from scratch from a 3-hour affair to five minutes. To install a mod, you just gotta search for it and press a button. Mod updates in this pack you cobbled together? Well with multiMC and the like, you'd have to search through each mod one by one, going first off of in-game update notifications (if you haven't disabled those at least) then going through the list, checking if each mod has been updated, manually downloading each update from the site, put the new versions in the folder and remove the old ones. To update mods in curse? go down the list and click the update buttons. Takes five minutes to update every mod in your list.

So I do not agree that it's "garbage". Though I do agree that a modpack maker should supply a zip of the files in case people don't like curse. It takes a few minutes and is incredibly simple to do.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
or, you know, maybe update forge to a newer version? Is there some specific reason you don't want to update forge?
Most people never think to, and those that do are leery of it because there's always the chance that you update Forge and everything just up and breaks. I've had it happen to me more than once; upgrade Forge for a new version of, let's say Forestry and, suddenly, every other mod in my folder freaks right the hell out. Updates to mods are a gamble, but they're nowhere near the Vegas odds of a Forge update, especially a major one.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Forge release breaking changes with their minor revision releases. This means that forge updates can easily break mods whose authors are, perhaps, working on the next major MC release, studying for exams, getting married, on holiday, busy with other things, dealing with the death of a loved one, or any one of the millions of other things that people who are giving us their work for free might otherwise be dealing with in their real lives.

So no, updating forge in a pack is not and should not be lightly considered.

Reactions: jordsta95

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Most people never think to, and those that do are leery of it because there's always the chance that you update Forge and everything just up and breaks. I've had it happen to me more than once; upgrade Forge for a new version of, let's say Forestry and, suddenly, every other mod in my folder freaks right the hell out. Updates to mods are a gamble, but they're nowhere near the Vegas odds of a Forge update, especially a major one.

Forge release breaking changes with their minor revision releases. This means that forge updates can easily break mods whose authors are, perhaps, working on the next major MC release, studying for exams, getting married, on holiday, busy with other things, dealing with the death of a loved one, or any one of the millions of other things that people who are giving us their work for free might otherwise be dealing with in their real lives.

Thank you for stating this before I had a chance to.

I got it down to only Refined Storage that was causing my major issue, had to downgrade 3x versions to get it to load.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

As already mentioned, Forge is very hit and miss. But the biggest issues come where Forge x.y.z is the recommended version, but there's a mod which requires x.z.y, and it changes a method (or something) and everything breaks. Which, unless you have experience with mod pack development, can cause a whole host of issues.

I know I've done it, where there's an issue with 1 mod, no idea which one it is, so you have to add 1 at a time, launching the game between each new addition, until something explodes.