Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
No, absolutely not, that's never what "renewable" means in Minecraft. Renewable means that it can be renewed.

Oh ffs Lord Dictionary, I give up... Arguing semantics on the internet is a waste of my time but here goes renewed = get new items = get more of

(almost) everything in Minecraft is infinite if you travel far enough

Thaumcraft nodes are not infinite

Which is it?

And Minecraft is not infinite.

For all practical purposes it is Lord Dictionary, dont believe me:

1. Get to the end of the overworld in all directions
2. Once you've explored the ENTIRE overworld make a mystcraft dimension
3. Get to the ends of that

Now back on topic please: what irks me beyond anything else is the cover/facade system, seriously having 4 sets of covers of exactly the same block to use in a build is beyond irritating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rhn

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Highly controversial topic, and before opening the spoiler, if you have any input on this, want to say whatever about it, then do it via pm, as we don't want to cause a flame-war on the forums
when people call vanilla items/blocks incorrectly, e.g. sugar cane: reeds (I know it is registered as reeds in the code, but that ain't their name yo'), chests: boxes, etc.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Oh ffs Lord Dictionary, I give up... Arguing semantics on the internet is a waste of my time but here goes renewed = get new items = get more of

It's not semantics, it's merely an attempt to use words in a meaningful way. I use the term "renewable" to refer to resources that you don't have to keep on expanding your worldgen to get more of. Things that can be renewed within a closed system. Saying "everything (except End Portal Blocks) is renewable because worldgen" is not a useful statement, all semantics aside. It's not the basis for an interesting discussion.

Given that some people are interested in the challenge of producing unlimited resources within a closed system, we need a word to describe such a distinction. What word would you suggest, if "renewable" is not suitable in your view?

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The clearest definition of a "renewable resource" in Minecraft terms that I've heard is one that can be produced in any indefinite quantity given infinite time, but finite space. Equivalently, wall off an arbitrarily large area of a random world from bedrock to skybox, use any resources in it you like, and give me one of whatever block/item every week from now until the heat death of the universe.

This allows things like iron in Vanilla (place your bounding box such that it contains a village that you could use to spawn iron golems), virtually any ore or metal in the presence of MFR's laser drill or Ex Nihilo's sieve, and things like high-tier Chromaticraft stuff that can take a great deal of exploring to get the info fragments and pylons for, but can thereafter be produced from otherwise renewable resources (assuming you have a renewable way to get crystals, ChC dusts, elemental stones, etc.). However, it does not include things that can only be found by indefinite exploration, such as iron ore blocks in Vanilla or nodes in vanilla TC. No matter how large an area you quarry, you'll eventually run out of whatever you were looking for.

It's not semantics, it's merely an attempt to use words in a meaningful way. We use the term "renewable" to refer to resources that you don't have to keep on expanding your worldgen to get more of. Things that can be renewed within a closed system. Saying "everything (except End Stone and End Portal Blocks) is renewable because worldgen" is not a useful statement, all semantics aside. It's not the basis for an interesting discussion.

Given that some people are interested in the challenge of producing unlimited resources with a closed system, we need a word to describe such a distinction. What word would you suggest, if "renewable" is not suitable in your view?
This.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
What irks me... I can't use potions that witches drop in the potion generator... Really?!

And how does it even know the difference?

Reactions: RedBoss

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Yes you can... I used wither potions (from wither witches) and got a good amount of RF

Potions from normal witches don't work...

Oh and they've got a different ID or meta value to brewed potions for reasons only Mojang knows.... No idea if ExU blocked them on purpose or just never put in the other ID.

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
People who think that there is a correct way to play the game.

There is a correct way to play the game.

There's multiple wrong ways, such as trying to launch the client while inside a submersible under the arctic ice cap, or trying to wear your laptop as a hat, or "accidentally walking down the stairs in the nude and then slipping over onto your mouse" (at least that's what you told the nurse at the hospital).

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
There is a correct way to play the game.

There's multiple wrong ways, such as trying to launch the client while inside a submersible under the arctic ice cap, or trying to wear your laptop as a hat, or "accidentally walking down the stairs in the nude and then slipping over onto your mouse" (at least that's what you told the nurse at the hospital).
you missed out one of the obvious correct ways to play the game though...
Make sure you have a computer that can actually run minecraft ;)

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that the default launcher takes two steps before it will actually load the game. I mean I could understand if it were a launcher that held multiple instances but it doesn't really do that... Nothing is more annoying than clicking on that icon thinking... "surely it will have loaded by now" only to realize that it hasn't even started, especially given the load times with 100ish mods.