Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that irks me is people who complain about the "HD textures" of certain mods like AM2/1 AND Thaumcraft 4/3 or even IC2 saying "it doesn't fit in 'normal Minecraft.'"

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
One thing that irks me is people who complain about the "HD textures" of certain mods like AM2/1 AND Thaumcraft 4/3 or even IC2 saying "it doesn't fit in 'normal Minecraft.'"

You're right they should just come out and say the textures are ugly.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
There's a pretty big difference between HD textures done right (Omniwrench, Mekanism), and HD textures that just stick out obnoxiously (AM2). Saying that they don't fit in with normal MC would definitely be incorrect, because frankly they just don't fit in with ANYTHING and are painful to look at.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
You wouldn't like me then...

He wouldn't like me either.

I find a random high-def textures (or worse non-voxel 3D models) very immersion breaking.
Its not the high-definition itself, its the change in definition/style that becomes very distracting.​
(I've used high def texture packs a fair bit- but they must be a FULL pack so everything's in high def)​
On their own- the random high-def textures & non-voxel models [think powersuits] are not that bad. They can look pretty cool outside of MC.
Dropping it into a voxel, pixelated environment makes it ugly.
It's like booting up GTA V and finding all the animals/people are minecraft models- it'll be a mess.

Reactions: xbony2

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I guess we could make a resource pack to turn all the textures into 16x16. But it's harder then it looks, making textures for my own mod has looked terrible ugly (no seriously, it looks like a five year-old made it, you don't want to see it :p)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I guess we could make a resource pack to turn all the textures into 16x16. But it's harder then it looks, making textures for my own mod has looked terrible ugly (no seriously, it looks like a five year-old made it, you don't want to see it :p)

Might just borrow some item sprites from mario, pokemon, zelda ect...
But thats the easy side, I don't think they'll appreciate us rebuilding the powersuit models.​

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to start a big argument, but I don't find wolf torture machines "charming" :p

Well I say charming in the sense that it has character to it that you don't find in GregTech.
It's an acquired taste, I'll give you that, but it's a damn sight more appealing than most of the calculated mods out there.[DOUBLEPOST=1383481631][/DOUBLEPOST]
Minecraft's an ugly game. Still a good game though.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
He wouldn't like me either.

I find a random high-def textures (or worse non-voxel 3D models) very immersion breaking.
Its not the high-definition itself, its the change in definition/style that becomes very distracting.​
(I've used high def texture packs a fair bit- but they must be a FULL pack so everything's in high def)​
On their own- the random high-def textures & non-voxel models [think powersuits] are not that bad. They can look pretty cool outside of MC.
Dropping it into a voxel, pixelated environment makes it ugly.
It's like booting up GTA V and finding all the animals/people are minecraft models- it'll be a mess.
Since they are mods, and not a part of the actual game, I don't think people can demand for the textures to be changed. That's where it irks me, to be more clear.

Jul 29, 2019
Magic Mods are great, until something crashes and then you are back at square one in terms of research or levels.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Magic Mods are great, until something crashes and then you are back at square one in terms of research or levels.

Backups.... backups man.

Also keeps notes often you can recover from such things quicker if you know what steps to go through the 2nd time.