Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
You know you can chose to stop using updated versions of MC at anytime. It has the same effect as if they as you wished it just left it alone.
Were it possible to use all mod releases with all Minecraft releases, I'd agree.

It's true that to some extant Minecraft updates drive innovations in mods: Authors don't keep up, and so new versions come from other developers, and those new versions each bring their own little peculiarities to keep them interesting. Once Minecraft updates stop it's probably true that this flow of new mods will slow too. Everything of interest will be seen as covered "once and for all". So I do concede that some good comes from the entropy of each new Minecraft build.

But it's problematic when you consider that some bugs are server-crashers. There comes a point where you can't update mod X any further without installing the next Minecraft version - and then what other mods do you lose? What worlds? This is a conundrum that'd largely go away with a final Minecraft release.

Bug fixes and anything else a modder has use for: I've no desire to see anything else added to vanilla. As you point out, most everything else of interest can be handled by modders, and I'd rather it be left to them.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
It's true that to some extent Minecraft updates drive innovations in mods: Authors don't keep up, and so new versions come from other developers, and those new versions each bring their own little peculiarities to keep them interesting. Once Minecraft updates stop it's probably true that this flow of new mods will slow too. Everything of interest will be seen as covered "once and for all". So I do concede that some good comes from the entropy of each new Minecraft build..

No vanilla updates means no pushing mods forward to the next version (and no rebuilding mods when dinnerbone goofs up)- so theres more dev time for actual mod design, and a stable code base to work with.
This in turn could result in far more complex and involved mods, as well as knowing if an author loses interest- then his/her work won't be mothballed.​

Probably the biggest change (which is kinda happening now) would be instead of 10 or so mods used by millions, they'd be millions of mods/combinations used by 10 or so.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Ohh man I found the thread just for me!

Smooth lighting broken

Zombie apocalipses when you have full quantum armor and a sword of the zepyr, they just annoy you, they dont make the game harder. I want zombies, not zombie spawners with GPS that can move.

Baby zombies, remove them from the game please

I dont care that a shovel does 5+ damage, remove that from my tooltip

anvil enchant cap (thank god for better anvils!)

mute rain forever (thank god for 1.7)

ugly biome borders

CHUNK RENDERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been broken since like a year and a half ago!

things that grief you without you wanting/knowing it (creepers ok, enderman/meteors are not)

a wrench for each mod

4 different power systems, mj to rule them all!

craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to get 1/20000 of a recipe (looking at you steve carts)

When minecraft updates to make stuff easier for mods, mod makers complain (1.3 only needs 1 version of mods instead of 2, and mod makers hated it)

when people complain that diamond stuff its too OP (and so mojang does this stupid updates like the new zombies) but have an ender ender, use it all day and stripmine. Eat rotten flesh, dont use armor and use non enchanted iron tools, play on hard, dont do hidey holes for the night, good luck surviving now.

when someone asks for X feature/mod of (insert up to date version of minecraft here) to be downgraded to (insert old minecraft version)
change other mods without config options to return it to normal (I wonder who does that?)

if you die a bullshit death, someone says ''dying is part of the game lern to pley u fool''

complaining about something OP

I'll edit and continue the wall of text when I think about other stuff to complain.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019

Smooth lighting broken

Zombie apocalipses when you have full quantum armor and a sword of the zepyr, they just annoy you, they dont make the game harder. I want zombies, not zombie spawners with GPS that can move.

Baby zombies, remove them from the game please

I dont care that a shovel does 5+ damage, remove that from my tooltip

anvil enchant cap (thank god for better anvils!)

mute rain forever (thank god for 1.7)

ugly biome borders

CHUNK RENDERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been broken since like a year and a half ago!

things that grief you without you wanting/knowing it (creepers ok, enderman/meteors are not)

a wrench for each mod

4 different power systems, mj to rule them all!

craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to get 1/20000 of a recipe (looking at you steve carts)

When minecraft updates to make stuff easier for mods, mod makers complain (1.3 only needs 1 version of mods instead of 2, and mod makers hated it)

when people complain that diamond stuff its too OP (and so mojang does this stupid updates like the new zombies) but have an ender ender, use it all day and stripmine. Eat rotten flesh, dont use armor and use non enchanted iron tools, play on hard, dont do hidey holes for the night, good luck surviving now.

when someone asks for X feature/mod of (insert up to date version of minecraft here) to be downgraded to (insert old minecraft version)
change other mods without config options to return it to normal (I wonder who does that?)

if you die a bullshit death, someone says ''dying is part of the game lern to pley u fool''

complaining about something OP

I'll edit and continue the wall of text when I think about other stuff to complain.
I don't think MJ is an universal power system in 1.6 era now.

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I think I found my soul mate

Smooth lighting broken. Agreed

Zombie apocalipses when you have full quantum armor and a sword of the zepyr, they just annoy you, they dont make the game harder. I want zombies, not zombie spawners with GPS that can move. Zombie apocalypse to follow normal spawning rules, at least give 'safe' villages a fair shot

Baby zombies, remove them from the game please. And zombies spawning zombies.

I dont care that a shovel does 5+ damage, remove that from my tooltip. All excessive tooltips can go. Anything cluttering the screen gets annoying.

anvil enchant cap (thank god for better anvils!). Seconded. Anvil damage. Anvils are bad in general- could be a lot more magic involved in repairing magic tools. Would love a bookself system (like enchanting table)- giving the 'knowledge' to work magic/tools like that.

mute rain forever (thank god for 1.7) Same here. Bats could use their own slider too.

ugly biome borders. And total lack of biome variety, then scrapping everyone's game to make lack of variety worse

CHUNK RENDERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been broken since like a year and a half ago! Do your job dinnerbone; try fixing whats broken for once.

things that grief you without you wanting/knowing it (creepers ok, enderman/meteors are not). Also mobs that sit there making annoying noises without any benefit to the actual game.

a wrench for each mod. Wrenches not supported across different mods (can't really be helped though- if you don't have "wrenchmod" your kinda stuck)

4 different power systems, mj to rule them all! A mods power system is unique to itself. One to rule them all kills half the challenge.

craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to get 1/20000 of a recipe (looking at you steve carts). And then theres random bits left over so you make 2

So far dinnerbone cause more pain and hassle for the modded community then if he'd not done anything API related. Kinda ironic really.

when people complain that diamond stuff its too OP (and so mojang does this stupid updates like the new zombies) but have an ender ender, use it all day and stripmine. Eat rotten flesh, dont use armor and use non enchanted iron tools, play on hard, dont do hidey holes for the night, good luck surviving now. Avoid beds, GPS type things (f3/minimap/waypoints). --Oddly its the same names who come up the the 'lets whinge about a nerf' threads too.

when someone asks for X feature/mod of (insert up to date version of minecraft here) to be downgraded to (insert old minecraft version) and those constantly asking for updates/1.6.4.

change other mods without config options to return it to normal (I wonder who does that?) That was bad form.

if you die a bullshit death, someone says ''dying is part of the game lern to pley u fool'' Bullshit unavoidable death from bad game design need to go. Falling creepers anyone? Death should only be a learning experience stemming from lack of skill to avoid it, not something to punish the player for no real reason.
With that out the way death can become a real feature with real consequences instead of an irritating gimmick.

complaining about something OP and whining about nerfs.

walls of text

Only when people forget about the enter key- leaving an unreadable block instead of a list.

Reactions: Dravarden

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
TE power, IC2 power, Factorization power and MJ which is used on buildcraft, forestry and railcraft.

Which one is used by most mods?
Most mods or most content? MJ wins for most mods, but I'd say IC2 wins with most content if you look at the billion machines gregtech adds (or the amount it will add, considering the insane pace of that crazy hard-working modder)

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Most mods or most content? MJ wins for most mods, but I'd say IC2 wins with most content if you look at the billion machines gregtech adds (or the amount it will add, considering the insane pace of that crazy hard-working modder)
Actually, I think Thaumcraft+addons has more real content than IC2+addons (I'm sorry, but dusts don't count). Not to mention TC stuff is probably the prettiest of any mod, ever. Now, as for the topic.....

Ars Magica's energy system.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I think Thaumcraft+addons has more real content than IC2+addons (I'm sorry, but dusts don't count). Not to mention TC stuff is probably the prettiest of any mod, ever. Now, as for the topic.....

There is a trick to change light energy to normal energy via Mana Batteries, check it.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com

I guess you win there, now that I think about it. I'll try to make a proper comparison though :p

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I guess you win there, now that I think about it. I'll try to make a proper comparison though :p
It's a hard one, for sure. If you go if sheer number of items IC2/GT wins by far, but as far as things a mod can do TC4 is incredible, especially with golems and random stuff like Hyperkinetic Nitor, Gaseous Tenebre or the TT Enchanter.

Reactions: JunpakuKarasu