Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That there is so far no:
String + Magnum torch + "Crazy expensive Thaumcraft magic" = Portable Magnum Torch (basically a Magnum Torch strapped to your back with string :p)

Reactions: Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Technically, no mobs can spawn within 20 blocks of you by default. :p
Great, so I have an invisible Portable Chandelier!

But it can be so damn annoying working on some building project in survival out in the "wild" and being "on the move" and constantly having to place and remove Magnum torches or fight of swarms of mobs...

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Great, so I have an invisible Portable Chandelier!

But it can be so damn annoying working on some building project in survival out in the "wild" and being "on the move" and constantly having to place and remove Magnum torches or fight of swarms of mobs...
AoE + Knockback.
Problem solved. :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Try placing 4 iron blocks in a T shape, then stick a pumpkin on top ;)
Speaking of that, iron golems can br useful for aiding you at Wither fights, when you don't yet have uber armor and weapons. Lovely memories of me and my friend trying to fight him and both of us dying, while one surviving iron golem finishes the work with a bit of baiting^^
But you have to be careful as to when you spawn them - if you first make the golems and then the Wither they'll try to attack it when it is still invulnerable and charging, and they will get the full force of the explosion. Also, their arms will glitch out in attempt to attack it.
So don't place the pumpkin until after the Wither is spawned.

Well, another problem is the Wither flying out of their reach...well this is ameliorated when you do it in a cave or mine, and the Wither will stick to the ground once its health goes below half.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is that @rhn would complain by saying that those really aren't any more mobile than torches, don't prioritize targets, are prone to wandering off, either don't attack creepers or cause them to explode (can't remember), can't be set to actually guard an area, and are actually a rather large metal investment for limited usefulness. :p

Reactions: RedBoss

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have actually been a keen user of those before the invention of Magnum Torches and the like. But the golems are rather useless for my current building project as the footprint I am working on is 3 x 3000 blocks :p Would need far to many and they would simply wander off ;)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Mod idea: Something similar to an iron golem that will actually follow you around. Attaching a lead to one might work, but there's still the problem of getting too far away and having the lead snap.

Unrelated, but I just thought of this: Since iron golems have such high health, they'd probably make good sources of LP for Blood Magic in the absence of Cursed Earth. While I'm not sure if that amount of LP would be worth spending 36 iron ingots, a Well of Suffering-powered Vanilla-style iron farm might be... a little ridiculous. Depends on how fast those guys spawn.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Mod idea: Something similar to an iron golem that will actually follow you around. Attaching a lead to one might work, but there's still the problem of getting too far away and having the lead snap.

Unrelated, but I just thought of this: Since iron golems have such high health, they'd probably make good sources of LP for Blood Magic in the absence of Cursed Earth. While I'm not sure if that amount of LP would be worth spending 36 iron ingots, a Well of Suffering-powered Vanilla-style iron farm might be... a little ridiculous. Depends on how fast those guys spawn.
You may be able to make a return on it regularly if you could dig up iron efficiently enough. So for 36 ingots at 5x ore duplication (assuming best case here) you'd need 7.2 ore pieces. For 7.2 ore pieces you'd need to mine about a tenth of a chunk. Assuming you are mining only the iron layer blocks you'd have to mine (16 * 16 * 64)/10 which is 1638 blocks. The average exchange rate of an ender quarry is 100RF/t for one block per second. So 3.276.000 RF total over 1638 seconds, or 27.3 minutes will net you an iron golem. So if you can convert an iron golem's worth of blood to about 3 million RF total over 27 minutes you can do it :p

Well, using some trickery and infinite loops it is definitely possible

EDIT: Well ofc you can do that amount over less or more time, but really you just have to convert an iron golem to 3.276 mRF and hopefully a little more to net positive returns

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
You may be able to make a return on it regularly if you could dig up iron efficiently enough. So for 36 ingots at 5x ore duplication (assuming best case here) you'd need 7.2 ore pieces. For 7.2 ore pieces you'd need to mine about a tenth of a chunk. Assuming you are mining only the iron layer blocks you'd have to mine (16 * 16 * 64)/10 which is 1638 blocks. The average exchange rate of an ender quarry is 100RF/t for one block per second. So 3.276.000 RF total over 1638 seconds, or 27.3 minutes will net you an iron golem. So if you can convert an iron golem's worth of blood to about 3 million RF total over 27 minutes you can do it :p

Well, using some trickery and infinite loops it is definitely possible

EDIT: Well ofc you can do that amount over less or more time, but really you just have to convert an iron golem to 3.276 mRF and hopefully a little more to net positive returns
Wow Striking you actually did the math?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Striking is a total nerd. :p

A regular villager-based farm would be cheaper in the long run, though. You'd just have this giant thing in the sky to worry about.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2