Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
When you break a block it flies off in a random direction so that it's easier for you to lose it in lava, or deep water, or wherever. Wouldn't it be easier to just go towards the player? Or if broken by a machine just drop calmly rather than spazz around like crazy?

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The general behaviour of MFR harvesters.

I have two set up to harvest the middle and top rows of sugar. The setup is identical, enderIO conduits inserting power, extracting items and sludge and the whole lot hooked up to a tesseract.

For some reason though, the top layer harvests just fine while the second layer just sits there spinning its' idle timer over and over.

Consistency would be a fine thing...
You only need one harvester for sugarcane. If you put it on the same level as the bottom block (or probably higher; I haven't tested), it'll harvest both the middle and upper sugarcane blocks.

The only time you need two harvesters on the same farm plot is if it's a tree farm and you want some of the leaves sheared, and others chopped for saplings.

When you break a block it flies off in a random direction so that it's easier for you to lose it in lava, or deep water, or wherever. Wouldn't it be easier to just go towards the player? Or if broken by a machine just drop calmly rather than spazz around like crazy?
Agreed. While this doesn't solve the general case, items dropped by ExNihilo's Hammers can be picked up instantaneously, which means that if you directly hammer the cobblestone produced by your cobblegen, rather than pickaxe it, place it down again, and then hammer, none of it will burn in the lava if you stand close enough.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
You only need one harvester for sugarcane. If you put it on the same level as the bottom block (or probably higher; I haven't tested), it'll harvest both the middle and upper sugarcane blocks.

The only time you need two harvesters on the same farm plot is if it's a tree farm and you want some of the leaves sheared, and others chopped for saplings.

Agreed. While this doesn't solve the general case, items dropped by ExNihilo's Hammers can be picked up instantaneously, which means that if you directly hammer the cobblestone produced by your cobblegen, rather than pickaxe it, place it down again, and then hammer, none of it will burn in the lava if you stand close enough.
The Angel Block does that, if you break it, you buy... I mean, it gets put into your inventory immediately!

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
As a fan of AE I think it does. Especially with NEI's shift-click functionality using AE to automate most mods is quite pointless.

My most interesting AE build so far has been automating IC2 as the crafting chain is both deep, and filled with time consuming machines so its been way more interesting as I've needed to build multiblock crafting computers with CPUs to parallelize the crafting tasks.

Making douchey, antagonistic mechanics shouldnt' be justified by "Well, someone else's mod undoes the damage I did, so it's okay"

Also, people shouldn't be forced to use AE. It's an irritating, grindy mod in itself.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

Wow.

I've been using MFR since forever and I never found that out before.

Many thanks!

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Making douchey, antagonistic mechanics shouldnt' be justified by "Well, someone else's mod undoes the damage I did, so it's okay"

Also, people shouldn't be forced to use AE. It's an irritating, grindy mod in itself.

AE2 Stuff makes AE2 a LOT more tolerable. Granted, its an addon doing what the main mod should've done in the first place, but at least its out there.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
AE2 stuff is the one that adds the crystal growth chamber and tidies up the sides on the inscriber.

It's a bit of an odd one, but I kinda like how a mod (AE2) that is literally all about automating everything makes two of its' own processes tricky to automate.

My quartz seed setup is delightful, it would kind of ruin it if it was made easier :p

FlowingSpace

Jul 29, 2019
My point that went went missing in translation was - the mods that do have deep crafting chains are typically bundled with mods - such as Applied Energistics - that can automate crafting of the low tier components.
True, but if you want the crafting recipes to be harder on purpose, just make the resources harder to get.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Also, 99.9% of rotarycraft use HSLA steel, which is not a vanilla resource.

Hmm, lava, stone, redstone, iron, coal, sand, gunpowder, and some time.

If you think these resources are "hard" to get, we are not playing the same game.

I think _gunpowder_ is hard to get. Creepers are not easy for me.

---

Other than a nether star, one unit of anything is easy. 100 units can be easy to very difficult. 1000 units is "automate it".

... and 54,000 units of something for a reactor? ...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I think _gunpowder_ is hard to get. Creepers are not easy for me.

I can't remember the exact rate, but gunpowder has a very small chance of being consumed per smelt- so you only need a few units to make a decent amount of HSLA.
If you're really struggling; quite a few mods add crafting recipes for gunpowder, likewise dungeon loot or a small darkroom will net enough to get you going.​

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Mob farm?

I have passive animal farms. You know, where you feed farm animals and slaughter the old adults?

But farms where you abuse minecraft physics to get resources automatically at no work? Nope. Never built one. Had a server rule against them from 125 to 147.

The rule was simple: Ya gotta earn what you use to build.

Moving forward? With RoC assuming an infinite resource harvester that trades power for return speed? ... Yea, gotta change how I treat that stuff.

===

I think I managed to collect about 40-50 gunpowder.
Friend of mine, much better than me at killing creepers, and loving TNT, got 5 stacks.

This was over many, many months of play.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Mob farm?

I have passive animal farms. You know, where you feed farm animals and slaughter the old adults?

But farms where you abuse minecraft physics to get resources automatically at no work? Nope. Never built one. Had a server rule against them from 125 to 147.

The rule was simple: Ya gotta earn what you use to build.

Moving forward? With RoC assuming an infinite resource harvester that trades power for return speed? ... Yea, gotta change how I treat that stuff.

===

I think I managed to collect about 40-50 gunpowder.
Friend of mine, much better than me at killing creepers, and loving TNT, got 5 stacks.

This was over many, many months of play.
I think the guy meant automated mob farm, like from MFR, EIO, RFTools, or various others.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I figured it was the "Nothing can spawn, except in this trap area, and things that spawn are killed and their drops collected" basic vanilla system.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
[Regrowth]Getting oak planks the easy way lolololo

4zOjRiP.png

SRSQ2dJ.png

How do I unscribe to this? I don't want to receive 1001 notifications at time

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
This is just ridiculous.
You won this time.
I don't even have words to describe how PPPPPPPPPPP that is.

I do not slaughter, or breed villagers.
I do not create infinite water sources for any industrial purpose - pumps are placed on feasible in-world sources such as large lakes, rivers or oceans, and pump water to my base.
I build farms with sufficient space for the animals to roam, feed and slaughter adults.
I do not use chunkloaders.
I do not create cobble generators.
My trashboxes for uu matter and 'material' for AE2 quantum links is the waste from my quarries and other farming processes.
I do not use mob grinders for any infinite material collection.

This is not an unusual way to play.