Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I got another one: changes occur as you set you settings, so if, for instance, I wanna set the mipmap levels to 0 ('cause it's just laggy bullshit) and I make a mistake (set it to 2, for example) I have to wait there 3 minutes until I'm given another shot!
At least you CAN change it... I crash every time I try. :(

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
That's just how Minecraft renders. Theoretically it would be instant.
You know what really pisses me off? It took me about 5 minutes to set the bloody mipmap levels (no, for real) and I WAS ON THE MENU SCREEN! What mipmap levels does the game have to render IN FRONT END?! There were no worlds loaded, I thought I was being clever by doing that, but I guess Minecraft showed me!

Reactions: Type1Ninja

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You know what really pisses me off? It took me about 5 minutes to set the bloody mipmap levels (no, for real) and I WAS ON THE MENU SCREEN! What mipmap levels does the game have to render IN FRONT END?! There were no worlds loaded, I thought I was being clever by doing that, but I guess Minecraft showed me!
It was probably resizing and generating a bunch of texture maps...all the block and item textures.
But yeah not a clever solution ^^

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
At the very least it should be made so that it doesn't perform the expensive calculations when moving the slider, but only once you press the button to save the settings. That way you can still slide the sliders around without dropping to 0 FPS.
Well, that's what I was saying.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
that's on openGL actually. It provides no facility to generate mip maps on another thread so it hangs the main thread.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to see the "ultimate end game thing" of a tech mod to use VANILLA nether material.
These materials you listed are nothing more than primary resources. And it cost nothing more than a bucket, some water and lava, one piece of flint and iron to go to the nether, all of that can be obtained the first minecraft day.
These Nether material should be in the very first step. Or maybe the second one. But definitively not the latest.
And any tech mods that can be played with vanilla resources only is guarantee to be horrible from my point of view, since vanilla resources are extremely limited.

Things like quartz, netherrack, etc, are quick and easy to come by.
Soul sand, harder.
Nether wart, harder still.
Blaze rods? ... Can be hard to get.

===

RoC's jet fuel consumes magma creme and blaze powder (plus other stuff), as well as requiring a ghast tear as a catalyst. And that's one stage below the end-game. Jet fuel powers the bedrock breaker, and powers a friction heater enough to cook that bedrock dust to make bedrock ingots.

RoC uses only vanilla resources. Still think that it has to be terrible?

Reactions: Padfoote

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Ars adds its own resources through world gen that are used, whereas RoC adds none.
Rotarycraft does take advantage of mod added resources with alternate recipes, though, which is really nice. I never use gold where I could use copper or electrum or HSLA Steel where I can use tin ( (because seriously, what am I supposed to do with all this copper and silver if I don't have mekanism or factorization installed...and I have no idea what mod uses a ton of tin.)

Reactions: Padfoote

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Well, i was exaggerating but you know, those mods that keep you busy at your crafting table
*cough*GregTech*cough*

Sorry, what with your exaggeration and my somewhat sarcastic reply optimal levels of communication were not achieved.

My point that went went missing in translation was - the mods that do have deep crafting chains are typically bundled with mods - such as Applied Energistics - that can automate crafting of the low tier components.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
The general behaviour of MFR harvesters.

I have two set up to harvest the middle and top rows of sugar. The setup is identical, enderIO conduits inserting power, extracting items and sludge and the whole lot hooked up to a tesseract.

For some reason though, the top layer harvests just fine while the second layer just sits there spinning its' idle timer over and over.

Consistency would be a fine thing...

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
My point that went went missing in translation was - the mods that do have deep crafting chains are typically bundled with mods - such as Applied Energistics - that can automate crafting of the low tier components.

That doesn't really make it okay. >.>

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't really make it okay. >.>

As a fan of AE I think it does. Especially with NEI's shift-click functionality using AE to automate most mods is quite pointless.

My most interesting AE build so far has been automating IC2 as the crafting chain is both deep, and filled with time consuming machines so its been way more interesting as I've needed to build multiblock crafting computers with CPUs to parallelize the crafting tasks.