Thermal Expansion Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've seen there's no real reason for the constant drain aside from that just being how Covert and Sengir want BC power to be. Which is fine, but they're going to have to accept that it's a pretty unpopular view.
I agree, but I don't think it should be a goal to be popular with everyone. I'm very happy that BuildCraft is in the hands of CovertJaguar, Krapth and Sengir. They're more game designers than most other mod authors. They create interesting mods rather than mods simply to cater the players.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, but I don't think it should be a goal to be popular with everyone. I'm very happy that BuildCraft is in the hands of CovertJaguar, Krapth and Sengir. They're more game designers than most other mod authors. They create interesting mods rather than mods simply to cater the players.
The thing is, I think it's possible to both cater to most players and make interesting mods. Look at the mod in the title of this thread. Look at AE. Look at Thaumcraft. Look at Forestry, which has something for just about everyone and is one of the BC team's own mods.

Reactions: Flipz

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
In the interest of getting access to the various useful machines provided by TE, I could care less about the energy it runs on. I don't think anyone in 1.6.2. would argue that TE is severely missed, even with the new mix of mods available.

No one driving a Tesla is whining about it not running on gasoline. To get the tech you want, you sometimes have to use a different grid.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, I think it's possible to both cater to most players and make interesting mods. Look at the mod in the title of this thread. Look at AE. Look at Thaumcraft. Look at Forestry, which has something for just about everyone and is one of the BC team's own mods.

It's possible, but it should not be a goal.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
It's possible, but it should not be a goal.

It shouldn't be a goal to make an interesting mod useful to most players? OK. I think we may be using wildly different definitions for "catering". Heck, we wouldn't even be having this discussion if TE wasn't an interesting mod that catered to most players.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't be a goal to make an interesting mod useful to most players? OK. I think we may be using wildly different definitions for "catering". Heck, we wouldn't even be having this discussion if TE wasn't an interesting mod that catered to most players.

TE is a mod made for players by a player. Of course it's popular. King Lemming is also a very skilled developer, but I don't find his mod remotely interesting. Have you ever considered playing with TE as your only Mod? With Forestry, RailCraft and ThaumCraft, that is a very good option.

Reactions: Mero

Mero

Jul 29, 2019

A mod creator should never make a mod just to be popular or to have the most people use it. They should be creating mods that THEY want to play with. As soon as you start catering to what everybody else wants you lose YOUR vision of what YOUR mod is and what YOU want it to be.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
TE is a mod made for players by a player. Of course it's popular. King Lemming is also a very skilled developer, but I don't find his mod remotely interesting. Have you ever considered playing with TE as your only Mod? With Forestry, RailCraft and ThaumCraft, that is a very good option.

Actually, it's made for myself and some friends, nobody else. I'm willing to provide config options where possible, but at the end of the day, if there's something I don't want in the mod, it doesn't go in. It just happens that the things I like resonate well with a lot of people.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

It's a fine line. If you cater too much to the player that want's more and more powerful things to make their play easier they will end up wit ha mod so rich and easy the requester themselves get bored. A designer of any user interactive system has to find a balance of giving people what they want and then showing them new things that they might want.
You have to make sure you fulfill requests that coincide with your projects vision, compromise some but not all.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I think, the point is, that there was a time where industrialcraft with its macerator offered a unique method of processing ores more efficiently. others adapted this method in their own way, like for example the pulverizer from TE.

if someone asks, which mod would you use as the single mod in your game. that doesn't work anymore. several mods just fit into each other and turn vanilla minecraft in something new and rapidely changing.

the energysystem of TE is, as far as I see, more or less a hybrid between the IC2-system and the BC-system. the energysystem of BC, but with additional storage-units, so nothing is wasted (which is the IC2 approach). maybe the MFR-approach would be best.
use your own energy network, and detect if your system is connected with BC-machines or with IC2-machines. convert the energy to the used energy of those machines (maybe with the same ratio as MFR uses, just to prevent positive energy loops).

this way you have your own system and the ability to power everything else (so people aren't upset that there is a new system that isn't compatible to anything else).

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't you just use an AccessTransformer to alter the needed declarations yourself? Or is that kinda underhanded?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
If I understand your comment about TileEntity footprint KingLemming, as long as there is a way of just converting RF into MJ via some additional block (that is redstone controlled so gates can turn it on/off) AND there is a greater variation of methods of creating RF, I see no need to worry about converting MJ into RF, and no other mods need to worry about working directly off RF, as you are providing a convertor. A one way system is sufficient. Worked for Redpower2 with it's MJ engine.
So we can store the RF in RECs, but still have a boiler/BC engines running in tandem that is controlled by gates, but no actual MJ is being stored by any MJ generator. Just means we can no longer use conduits to run the MJ power nor directly use MJ to power TE machines.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed, MJ changes seem to be splitting the modding scene. It may or may not be a good thing. Time will tell.

If we can store RF, and then convert RF into MJ, then that is in effect storing MJ. You just won't be able to store MJ directly. I've never needed all the power that a single boiler could output, so from my perspective, I doubt I'd miss using MJ engines. I guess people more people will store steam in tanks to act as a buffer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.