Thermal Expansion Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I do love TE. It's honestly the only reason I ever used MJ. Without TE using MJ what, aside from quarries, will MJ actually be useful for now?

I don't think I'm the only one that likes simplified power networks, not only for aesthetics but also for server performance. Now my network may be primarily 'RF' with some light use of EU.

I will request of Lemming, though, that if he does go with 'RF' that he make some, at the very least, Electrical Engine equivalent and Steam Engine equivalent. Some way so we are still able to run minimal power networks simultaneously.

zacseow

Jul 29, 2019
If KL does go with redstone flux, he should add a flux engine or something to at least help with powering my quarries

Devilmixer

Jul 29, 2019
KL. It seems you have made up you mind, on the redstone flux, #sadface

I hope you change your mind and stay with MJ, i miss your mod, but I dont like setting up several diffrent power systems, and I dont think your mod would feel out of place ;-)

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
KL. It seems you have made up you mind, on the redstone flux, #sadface

I hope you change your mind and stay with MJ, i miss your mod, but I dont like setting up several diffrent power systems, and I dont think your mod would feel out of place ;-)

Its not a choice like that.
Its a problem with coding.
There will be easy power conversion.

Reactions: RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Actually I'd like to see a certain someone ensure there's a steam powered RF generator. I mean, I can run MJ, EU, UE, and Factorization power all off of a Steam Boiler.

Reactions: Flipz

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so after talking with a lot of people over the past few days, we basically feel that the switch to a new power system is a good thing.

Technical benefits aside (though it does make the code way cleaner internally), the overall feeling seems to be that a new power system isn't inherently bad - it's something else to build and do. It also lets BuildCraft shine on its own a bit better - when conductive pipes barely worked, conduits were practically a requirement. Now that the pipes do function in a coherent and consistent manner, throwing conduits into the mix again seems...mean, for lack of a better word.

BuildCraft has changed quite a bit and doesn't need to be an API anymore at its core. Yeah, Forestry and RailCraft obviously lean on it pretty hard, but that's because they are practically just 3 sides of the same mod now. And there's nothing wrong with that - CJ and Sengir are certainly the major contributors to BC these days, so they can create a coherent system as they see fit.

Moving to a new system gives us the ability to play around with new concepts and new forms of power generation. The shift in theme helps a bit - we can probably find some more uses for Destabilized Redstone now. ;) Even so, converting to MJ isn't difficult, so it's something that we can allow in some form or another; likely a Flux engine of some sort. Converting the other way is unfortunately not as simple, codewise, but I'm not ruling anything out.

Also, there's at least been some interest from other mod devs about using RF for their power needs as well, so that could certainly prove interesting.

So there you have it. If a single converter block between your Tesseract and the Quarry means that you'll abandon TE forever, well, sorry - use EnderIO, I hear it's pretty good. The goal is to empower players and keep servers running smoothly, but not at the cost of trampling another mod entirely.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I love TE, therefore I wishes KL and his team all the best! Hopefully we will be seeing item transportation in the mod as well so to make the mod more rounded. I can live without automated mining for TE since we still have BuildCraft and IndustrialCraft for those.

Though I do hope TE will have some form of support for other mods' power too. E.g. Steam, EU and/or MJ. Accepting and outputting.

Maybe stuffs like some generstor or engine that consumes energised glowstone to generate EU or burn destabilised redstone as fuel to produce MJ.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious as to what other mod devs would be joining in on using RF. I wonder how many of them have previously been using MJ and wish to move to a more efficient and less wasteful platform. Maybe MFR?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
another kind of power... sigh.

My suggestion to you: Talk to the Power Boxes mod developer and see if you can convince him to pick up the new TE power system in addition to MJ's and EU's that it already supports. This means one unified power box for all your power system needs.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Woohoo good news :D I'd not ever dream of giving TE up, the lack of TE (and MFR) is the main reason why 1.6 is currently "meh" for me

Just as an FYI you can get MFR running on 1.6.x.

On topic I'm perfectly fine with a new power system. As a part of TE it is guaranteed to be pretty good, right? :p

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
MFR, Dartcraft, maybe Mechanism, MPS...all of these are good candidates.

Actually at present, DartCraft supports the EU from IC2 and the MJ from BuildCraft. I suspect that ALSO adding RedFlux from Thermal Expansion might be spreading things a tad too thin.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
MPS supports three systems already. EU, UE power, and MJ. Doesn't seem to bother it,though it's not as complex as Dartcraft for example.

DaeDroug

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so after talking with a lot of people over the past few days, we basically feel that the switch to a new power system is a good thing.
Moving to a new system gives us the ability to play around with new concepts and new forms of power generation. The shift in theme helps a bit - we can probably find some more uses for Destabilized Redstone now. ;) Even so, converting to MJ isn't difficult, so it's something that we can allow in some form or another; likely a Flux engine of some sort. Converting the other way is unfortunately not as simple, codewise, but I'm not ruling anything out.
If it's so easy to convert to MJ can't you make it so if there's a buildcraft machine connected to a conduit it would give it MJ? I'd be fine with that so long as the power generation in TE is up to par.

More options are always better.

With TE having it's own power system I'm actually more likely to dump Buildcraft, the only reason I kept it around in the first place was because so many mods used the same power system which I -Loved-. For that matter I probably would have never dumped IC2 for TE if they all used the same power system. You say that they have their own aspects worthy of note but when 70% of the mods are redundant there's no reason to keep them around. On the other hand giving me the option to power a Mass fab with a combustion engines or use geothermal generators to run my quarry and i'd bring IC2 back in a heart beat. Why? because it gives me more options with out building incompatible redundant systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.