Thermal Expansion Status

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
The old farms used LOTS of energy, compared to the new multifarms.

For apatite just run around high in mountains and try to find a cave entrance, I pretty often find apatite this way

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Was that an older version of Forestry? One peat farm, one or two tree farms (used humus), some Xycraft crafters and tanks, item pipes, and RP2 filters or emerald pipes (I think), in 1.4.X, and it was pretty much done. The farms provided the needed dirt and sand. The crafters made the bog earth and humus. Peat engines provided ash, also used for the humus (I think).

I never managed to set it up correctly, but I'd seen several videos with that setup. It's what led me to use FTB. And then when I started playing, I learned that those were old farms that were going to be discontinued :p I haven't used peat since 1.5. The multifarms take a LOT more resources to get running, and apatite. The old farms required making bog earth and humus, but at least you could get those in unlimited amounts. Sometimes I never even find apatite.
Oh yeah, forgot about ash. I don't know if the ash-from-fertilizer recipe was always in the game, but I think it also required dirt, so you'd need mushroom and wheat farms anyway.
(Or you could go with another mod - IC2 macerating plantballs, or macerating cobble + extra tree farm)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I missed the old Forestry Peat farm so much I made a CC turtle program to peat farm in 1.6.x. The turtle will munch on some peat every now and then to keep itself fueled. When setup with an MFR liquicrafter and a pump over an infinite water supply, the system has a 3:2 dirt net gain. It does, however, require quite a bit of sand to keep running. Unfortunately, the MultiFarms don't convert dirt to sand at a high enough rate, but getting sand from a desert biome is not difficult.

I use the peat plus propolis for bituminous peat, which burns @ 2MJ/t in a Peat-fired engine. Hardly epic, but 1 or a handful of those are good for low-power remote applications, like farming. The nice thing about the peat engine is the ash output. Ash really helps to stretch the apatite. I just need 1, maybe 2 apatite veins to keep 2-ish multifarms up for weeks.

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to whatever KL and CoFH put out. I'm sure it will blow our socks off and be fun ;-)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Dirt to sand? Why don't you just make a simple cobble gen and macerate the cobble down into sand? If you can get endless cobble, then you can get endless sand with a minimum of extra work.

Also, bookmarking that little program! Methinks I'd like to get an old-fashioned peat farm going again. Haven't done that since 1.4.7.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Dirt to sand? Why don't you just make a simple cobble gen and macerate the cobble down into sand? If you can get endless cobble, then you can get endless sand with a minimum of extra work.

Good point, yes. I'll probably do that once I let myself get past the "low power phase". I'm intentionally throttling myself back to lengthen the life of the world.

Also, bookmarking that little program! Methinks I'd like to get an old-fashioned peat farm going again. Haven't done that since 1.4.7.

As for the program, the turtle looks for a drop-off inventory (ex. chest) on its left side and an inventory (ex. chest) with Bog Earth above it. It only takes as much bog earth as it needs based upon the size of the farm. The size of the farm is configurable, though the recommend configurations are a multiple of 5, ex: 5x5, 10x10, 5x20, 15x20, 20x20, etc.,. The maximum recommended size is 20x20 due to the inventory space and 20x20 is what I use. It starts building the farm at the block beneath it, and the dimensions are measured ahead of it (starting at the block it's directly above) and to its right (starting at the block it's directly above).

It will skip the water blocks and you will have to fill those with water the first time. It will also excavate the area itself, so you don't have to clear out the volume the first time.

While it returns to its starting spot and orientation, refuels, and drops everything off, ready for the next iteration, I don't have it setup as an infinite loop, but that would be relatively easy : just wrap the main loop with a 1-hr-ish sleep.

Reactions: Fuzzlewhumper

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Good point, yes. I'll probably do that once I let myself get past the "low power phase". I'm intentionally throttling myself back to lengthen the life of the world.

As for the program, the turtle looks for a drop-off inventory (ex. chest) on its left side and an inventory (ex. chest) with Bog Earth above it. It only takes as much bog earth as it needs based upon the size of the farm. The size of the farm is configurable, though the recommend configurations are a multiple of 5, ex: 5x5, 10x10, 5x20, 15x20, 20x20, etc.,. The maximum recommended size is 20x20 due to the inventory space and 20x20 is what I use. It starts building the farm at the block beneath it, and the dimensions are measured ahead of it (starting at the block it's directly above) and to its right (starting at the block it's directly above).

It will skip the water blocks and you will have to fill those with water the first time. It will also excavate the area itself, so you don't have to clear out the volume the first time.

While it returns to its starting spot and orientation, refuels, and drops everything off, ready for the next iteration, I don't have it setup as an infinite loop, but that would be relatively easy : just wrap the main loop with a 1-hr-ish sleep.

Thanks for posting the peat bog program you made. I have been thinking of making one myself too so I just looked through yours for inspiration. Also turtle.detect() returns false on water blocks which may be a handy alternative to your modulo test to avoid messing around with water source blocks.

Also, I have been writing my own personal turtle api and during my experiments I discovered that bituminous peat is worth 10 more than double the turtle fuel points than normal peat. 210 vs 100.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Might wanna mention this, you could layer the peat farm and make it into a tower. The turtle can go along checking above and below as it goes. Then each time return to its home base to refuel and drop off.

When I did this with a turtle, I remember I needed to use a silk touch pick on a piece of peat bog (the finish product block). Then I would just do a compare against the finish product to see if I needed to dig it and replace it. The tower farm made it easier to work with a smaller footprint. :)

Sadly, I deleted my directory in a fit of rage when I decided the game was eating too much of my time.

Then when I came to my senses I realized I had destroyed that peat program. :) Oh well, might try making it again. Looks like fun.

Oh and since working with 1.6 and no TE, I don't have access to infinite cobble like days of yore. So I guess I need to see what 1.6 has in the way of block breaking (turtle duh, probably just do that and keep with the turtle motif). :)

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Might wanna mention this, you could layer the peat farm and make it into a tower. The turtle can go along checking above and below as it goes. Then each time return to its home base to refuel and drop off.

When I did this with a turtle, I remember I needed to use a silk touch pick on a piece of peat bog (the finish product block). Then I would just do a compare against the finish product to see if I needed to dig it and replace it. The tower farm made it easier to work with a smaller footprint. :)

Sadly, I deleted my directory in a fit of rage when I decided the game was eating too much of my time.

Then when I came to my senses I realized I had destroyed that peat program. :) Oh well, might try making it again. Looks like fun.

Oh and since working with 1.6 and no TE, I don't have access to infinite cobble like days of yore. So I guess I need to see what 1.6 has in the way of block breaking (turtle duh, probably just do that and keep with the turtle motif). :)
Screw Turtles!
E.Toolbox Lava Intake+Item Output makes a better cobblegen than TE! :p

Nikola T.

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, this is for Lemming. I ( being uninformed) assume that you have a dev build. I'm not saying put it public beta(if you want too;)) , but people want to see progress, not words. So maybe, stream or youtube development, or maybe put it on forge craft.

these are just suggestions, not demands. Great Mod:)

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
The peat farm seems quite bad compared to what it used to be. You get 1 mj from a peat engine running ordinary peat. The farm itself isn't the problem but the process of making the peat far outweigh the usefulness. It used to be better, I don't know, did you get more mj from a peat engine using normal peat or something? Using the old farms I would always set up a peat farm and run a bunch of peat engines but why bother doing that right now. In comparison the tree farm is op compared to the peat farm since it only requires apatite, no more, no less and you get an insane amount of wood. I'm sure some mods have way better tree farms, like that steves cart mod probably. Don't get me started on those cheat turtles, why not just run with NEI on...

I've never been a fan of the gregtech mod myself, never understood the point of making the game more grindy just for that reason alone. Just reminds me of a cheap f2p game using excessive use of mob grinding to progress the character. Like someone mentioned IC2 used to be it, nowadays it's just meh, which is great because it means other mods have done certain things better. It's a shame with TE currently, didn't really realize how much I liked it until I didn't have it. Reminds me of RP2 but I'm doing okay without RP2 just a shame that you need a bunch more mods to just scratch the surface of what RP2 did and still you're nowhere near it.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Peat didn't change at all, and neither did peat engines (unless CovertJaguar tweaked them last week, he did something about fuel values in 2.3.0.4/5). Smallest-size multifarms simply have less farmland than the classic peat farm, which gives you the feeling of being less powerful. If you step up in size however you get more farmland than the classic farm.

And by the way: tree farms need a constant dirt supply too. Just less than the peat farm.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
The peat farm seems quite bad compared to what it used to be. You get 1 mj from a peat engine running ordinary peat. The farm itself isn't the problem but the process of making the peat far outweigh the usefulness. It used to be better, I don't know, did you get more mj from a peat engine using normal peat or something? Using the old farms I would always set up a peat farm and run a bunch of peat engines but why bother doing that right now. In comparison the tree farm is op compared to the peat farm since it only requires apatite, no more, no less and you get an insane amount of wood. I'm sure some mods have way better tree farms, like that steves cart mod probably.

I'm currently running a small Peat farm on 2 Peat-Engines and it's producing a nice surplus of Peat. The two engines are also powering a Carpenter making Bog Earth and a Pump providing water to both the farm and the Carpenter.

I've also added a third Peat engine to power a Tree farm on the same power network and I'm still getting some Peat to spare for other things.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I do miss using RP2 to manage my peat farm, with pistons and block breakers. Nice "engineering" challenge as I tried a different layout each time. Much more interesting building a single multiblock system.
The MFR sludgeworks can also produce Forestry Peat. Not a vast amount out of everything it can produce, but a nice bonus.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I do miss using RP2 to manage my peat farm, with pistons and block breakers. Nice "engineering" challenge as I tried a different layout each time. Much more interesting building a single multiblock system.
The MFR sludgeworks can also produce Forestry Peat. Not a vast amount out of everything it can produce, but a nice bonus.
Makes me wonder if you could make a sludge-based power plant, if you produced and processed enough of it fast enough. I mean, it gives you peat, and it also gives you clay, which you can turn into lithium w/ GregTech and use it to power boilers. There are numerous things for which sludge is useful, I'm sure!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Don't get me started on those cheat turtles, why not just run with NEI on...

???

Turtles need at least a small amount of power and I assure you it took quite bit more effort writing, debugging, and tweaking the Lua code than clicking on NEI.

I can also assure you it would have been far more efficient, time-wise, to setup a tree farm.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
???

Turtles need at least a small amount of power and I assure you it took quite bit more effort writing, debugging, and tweaking the Lua code than clicking on NEI.

I can also assure you it would have been far more efficient, time-wise, to setup a tree farm.

While I agree they aren't cheatty, if you don't program them yourself, they are no work whatsoever to get them going.
You simply have to find a working program and stick it in the folder.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Bah.

Do whatever ya want with turtles and programs. With any luck someone young will download a mining program, learn how it works, decide he/she loves programming. Goes into a field programming robots to mine asteroids one day. One day Killer Asteroid BAZOOM comes onto the scope and he/she types execute AsteroidMiner Target=Killer Asteroid BAZOOM

And saves the world!

RAH RAH RAH!! I'm ROOTING FOR YOU!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! SAVE US ALL FROM BAZOOM!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1382141393][/DOUBLEPOST]Post merge cuz my edit don't work 2 gud

SORRY King Lemming, if ever there was an off topic post ... I believe this one is it. I didn't even say anything like...

I SO VERY VERY MUCH MISS TE!!!
or
How the heck do I get stuff out of this container without losing the container?

And the other usual stuff I moan about every day. My apologies for getting off topic. I'm drooling over what new thing ya got coming down the road. Rooting for yas!!! :)

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
ooo, tiered strongboxes... will those basically replace iron chests? what are the differences/similarities?

Status
Not open for further replies.