Thermal Expansion Status

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Except this 5 star IC2 resteraunt has had this shitty chicken on the market since it openned, and no one did anything about it until now, where they experimented with putting a shitty sauce on shitty chicken.
IC used to be revolutionary mod - then everyone copied bits of it and now it's just "meh".

I would love to peer into TE's code, though...I love perusing things like that.
Ask King_Lemming, then get jd-gui (a decompiler).
jd-gui isn't the best decompiler, but it has a great UI when you just want to browse through the code

Cocofang

Jul 29, 2019
IC3 may be improving but their power system is as banjaxed as it ever was, even moreso now.. at least before if you plugged a machine in it would either blow up or be fine, and if it was fine you knew that it would continue to be fine until you fucked around with the power source. Now you can plug it in, watch it be fine, and then blow up for some stupid assed reason.

TBH I really like the new IC 2. MFR really felt like cheating :p

Also i am not sure what the "buggy" cables are all about? I bet there is a good reason for them to blow up at a later time.

I actually don't feel like I am running into much problems with the power system.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
IC used to be revolutionary mod - then everyone copied bits of it and now it's just "meh".

Ask King_Lemming, then get jd-gui (a decompiler).
jd-gui isn't the best decompiler, but it has a great UI when you just want to browse through the code

1) Yeah, I remember when IndustrialCraft was relatively new. Never managed to get it to work, lol. I now feel old.

2) Incidentally, I have JD-GUI. Its an excellent learning tool, lol.

Also, MFR feels like cheating? Huh. I honestly felt that it was more efficient for lots of things, most especially plant farming. Forestry requires fertilizer and a big multiblock thing with a circuit board and some other shenanigans to get it close to running. Then again, Forestry seems more industrial-grade farming, whereas MFR is for smaller, fire-and-forget things that you need a constant supply of, but perhaps not in extreme quantities, like rubber. That is, unless you give your MFR farming machines huge range upgrades, in which case, you've got some serious industrial farming goin on!

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I get the impression that Sengir doesn't WANT fire-and-forget. Everything from that mod requires maintenence in one form or another.

If true, that's probably why the old farms were removed. And I liked the peat farms as an early game fuel source :(

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I get the impression that Sengir doesn't WANT fire-and-forget. Everything from that mod requires maintenence in one form or another.

If true, that's probably why the old farms were removed. And I liked the peat farms as an early game fuel source :(

The good thing about this is it opens opportunity for new mods and new approaches. If the lack of TE in 1.6 teaches us anything, its that you can't be afraid to try new mods. Why should Mod @ be the end all be al of a method of doing something?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
The good thing about this is it opens opportunity for new mods and new approaches. If the lack of TE in 1.6 teaches us anything, its that you can't be afraid to try new mods. Why should Mod @ be the end all be al of a method of doing something?

Absolutely agree. That's why TE is going in a slightly different direction. ;) Tech mods have been done to death. Magic mods are getting there. We're slowly moving towards a middle ground; a blend of the two. Mine-punk, if you will.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Absolutely agree. That's why TE is going in a slightly different direction. ;) Tech mods have been done to death. Magic mods are getting there. We're slowly moving towards a middle ground; a blend of the two. Mine-punk, if you will.
I really like MagiTech mods.I think I'm getting tired of tech mods, but magic mods still don't have some features which Tech Mods got.
I wonder if the Steampunk-style or MagiTech would be better than High-Tech...

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love for a few high tech mods to stay high tech but then blend the rest. To keep IC2, BuildCraft, RedPower (no comment from anyone), Railcraft, Forestry.. If those can stay mainly tech but other mods bring the more fantasy, adventure computer game approach to them, we really can't ask for more.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
o_O ... has images of sacrificing chickens to get my pulverizer working again. :) I'm down with that.

Install Blood Magic (by WayOfTime).
Make a lava crystal.
Make a solid fueled engine (Stirling, hobbiests etc).
Place lava crystal in engine.
Power pulveriser with engine.

The lava crystal uses LP to act as a fuel source.
To get your pulveriser running, simply take the sacrificial dagger, and kill a mob (such as a chicken :p) beside the blood altar.

Ta-da!

Pulveriser dependant on chicken sacrifice.

You can use a dagger of sacrifice to cut yourself if you want to power things via your own pain either.

Do note that this is not made up, except the part about BM being before 1.6/TE bein after 1.5.

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
A while ago i made up this little quote to try and describe the whole 'Magipunk' theme:

"to mix magic and machinery, to synthesize sorcery and science,
to combine conjury and clockwork, to weld wizardy and wisdom"

I really like that kind of thing, looking forward to whatever you do with it king :D

Reactions: Omegatron

immibis

Jul 29, 2019

Forestry 1 wasn't actually fire-and-forget, unless you set up about 25 different machines connected in the right way. You could have a simple system requiring input, or a really complicated and big system that runs forever.

Peat farms converted sand to dirt as a side effect of producing peat.
Tree farms converted dirt to sand and consumed compost as a side effect of producing wood.
Compost (previously called manure) could be produced from wheat and dirt.
Wheat farms converted dirt to sand as a side effect of producing wheat (that meant you needed another peat bog).
Mushroom farms converted mycelium to dirt as a side effect of producing mushrooms.
Mycelium could be produced by a moistener from seeds, as a side effect of converting wheat to mulch. (I forgot what mulch was used for - alternate fertilizer recipe?) (this means another wheat farm and associated peat bog, or just split the wheat from the other wheat farm)

That's 5 to 7 farms for a self-sustaining system (which produces wood, peat, wheat, mushrooms and mulch).

Now add in the complexity of connecting all of these with Buildcraft or RP2, plus autocrafting tables and bucket fillers.
That's a lot of effort to make a fully self-sustaining Forestry system. AE negates a lot of it, since you can just connect everything to import/export busses as appropriate, instead of managing pipes running everywhere carrying different items. Infinitubes, or Ender Storage, or TE tesseracts, also negate a lot of it, since there are no routing considerations. (OTOH I don't know of any medium-distance item movement solutions besides AE, BC, RP2, Infinitubes, Ender Storage, and tesseracts)

Warper

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys! I know this is a TE thread but I really miss one specific block - the liquid transposer. I just wanted to ask if someone knows any other mod that has a block/machine/anything that can empty and fill stackable liquid containers without consuming them in the process. Any help would be REALLY appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I really hope to see TE soon :)

Reactions: Geometry

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Was that an older version of Forestry? One peat farm, one or two tree farms (used humus), some Xycraft crafters and tanks, item pipes, and RP2 filters or emerald pipes (I think), in 1.4.X, and it was pretty much done. The farms provided the needed dirt and sand. The crafters made the bog earth and humus. Peat engines provided ash, also used for the humus (I think).

I never managed to set it up correctly, but I'd seen several videos with that setup. It's what led me to use FTB. And then when I started playing, I learned that those were old farms that were going to be discontinued :p I haven't used peat since 1.5. The multifarms take a LOT more resources to get running, and apatite. The old farms required making bog earth and humus, but at least you could get those in unlimited amounts. Sometimes I never even find apatite.

Status
Not open for further replies.