Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Confirmed, 4rf/t. In the process of doing textures for the dynamos, and happened to notice my steam ones were at 4rf/t being generated.

What I find crazy is that people hate the idea of machines drawing power when not in use under the MJ system, but these dynamos are basically doing the same thing, even though throttled, there's still a constant energy waste going on.
It's the one thing about TE3 that I absolutely loathe, for exactly the same reasons. That's why I have levers on my dynamos right now and never let my energy cell fill completely (so that the dynamos never build up a buffer). Until I get to a point where power isn't an issue (golem tree farm, charcoal in horizons 1.0.7), my power system is going to be half a step above manual.

I would find this more acceptable if energy storage units in TE would have redstone emit properties for various states, even if a semi-expensive upgrade was required, but as it stands I don't even have gates to turn to since buildcraft isn't part of horizons.[DOUBLEPOST=1389706018][/DOUBLEPOST]
Edit: Kyle, can you describe what happened? Did it drain out slowly, or all at once? If it drained slowly then I'm pretty sure it's intentional.
It's a slow drain. I've noticed it myself.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
It just seems weird that the redstone signal disables not only the dynamo, but also it's ability to transfer that RF out to a cell so anything in the buffer gets wasted.

I'll just note that my friend's SMP server has a base run by about ~15 Magmatics, and it's been going for several weeks now 24/7 and still hasn't drained enough lava from a small nether river require moving the pump. So the drain is a pretty small thing in that regard.

More advanced setups with energy cells being possible would hardly be sneered at tho :D

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I should have tested that.. yeah. I'll try to recreate the layout tonight and see if I can find what is actually causing the FPS issue. Thanks for your input.

AE cables do cause a significant amount of FPS lag.

turning off the fancy cable light rendering and changing the settings below in the AE config can help.

graphics {
B:gfxCableAnimation=true
I:gfxCableMinTickRate=22
B:gfxDrivesHighDef=true
}

I have 75 redstone furnaces and 32 pulverizers running using item ducts to move things around and I have no FPS lag.

There is a reason AE didn't make it into the FTB Lite pack :p. Its not horrible but the cables do cause some render lag.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It's the one thing about TE3 that I absolutely loathe, for exactly the same reasons. That's why I have levers on my dynamos right now and never let my energy cell fill completely (so that the dynamos never build up a buffer). Until I get to a point where power isn't an issue (golem tree farm, charcoal in horizons 1.0.7), my power system is going to be half a step above manual.

I would find this more acceptable if energy storage units in TE would have redstone emit properties for various states, even if a semi-expensive upgrade was required, but as it stands I don't even have gates to turn to since buildcraft isn't part of horizons.[DOUBLEPOST=1389706018][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a slow drain. I've noticed it myself.

I am guessing this means you haven't noticed the comparator thing with energy cells...

The closer to full it gets the stronger a signal it outputs to a redstone comparator

2014-01-14_07.38.09.png

Up to the full normal length of redstone transferance. Combine that with a little work and creativity and you can shut down your engines based on how full a cell is.

Since I used a texture pack.. thats a creative cell outputting to a resonant cell with a comparator to the right. regular old redstone in a line next to glowstone illuminators set to redstone sensitivity.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just the comparator? Would it emit the signal strength to the rednet cable? That would give a lot of flexability. Hmm, things to try.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I am guessing this means you haven't noticed the comparator thing with energy cells...

The closer to full it gets the stronger a signal it outputs to a redstone comparator
No. I had no idea. I've never made a comparator :) That, however, is a wonderful find. I might actually be able to do something with that, if I can graduate myself above the level of Complete Redstone Loser.

Thank you, Jaded, and my apologies to KL for ranting out of ignorance. :)

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
AE cables do cause a significant amount of FPS lag.

turning off the fancy cable light rendering and changing the settings below in the AE config can help.

graphics {
B:gfxCableAnimation=true
I:gfxCableMinTickRate=22
B:gfxDrivesHighDef=true
}

I have 75 redstone furnaces and 32 pulverizers running using item ducts to move things around and I have no FPS lag.

There is a reason AE didn't make it into the FTB Lite pack :p. Its not horrible but the cables do cause some render lag.

Thanks for the suggestions.

At that time I already tried to turn off the cable animations for AE. Didn't make a difference at all. In comparison, I also have a very large room full of storage monitors and DSU's, all hooked up to the AE network with storage busses and that room has 0 client lag (its just bright, very bright b/c all the storage monitors :) ) I don't think it's AE that caused the lag, might be a combo between AE and TE though. Going to test it later today to see if I can replicate the problem.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
A perfect example of vanilla mechanics being unknown amongst mod players. This is a very elegant solution. I presume most mods that offer modded redstone type wires also support analog signals. I'm using ender IO to manually control my dynamos and this would fit in my engine area with only a one block change.

Reactions: Padfoote

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
so wait when did the energy cells ever worked with the comparator... last time I remembered from DW20's forgecraft runs was about KL thinking about that mechanic... hmmm

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
A perfect example of vanilla mechanics being unknown amongst mod players. This is a very elegant solution. I presume most mods that offer modded redstone type wires also support analog signals. I'm using ender IO to manually control my dynamos and this would fit in my engine area with only a one block change.
Not just vanilla mechanics (don't get me wrong..I couldn't comparitor my way out of a paper bag), but vanilla integration. I have vague memories of someone talking about this before, now that I've watched Jaded's video, but before watching I never would have suspected, in a bajillion hours of gameplay, that someone would do that. It's logical, but it's completely unexpected. The norm in modded MC is for a mod to create a new block to do something, not do the amazingly awesome thing of working with existing systems :)

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
No. I had no idea. I've never made a comparator :) That, however, is a wonderful find. I might actually be able to do something with that, if I can graduate myself above the level of Complete Redstone Loser.

Thank you, Jaded, and my apologies to KL for ranting out of ignorance. :)

Meh, honestly it's a reasonable rant. I'm going to revisit dynamo mechanics a bit. The drain of the stored buffer isn't really necessary, it's actually a penalty for turning it off. That'll be changing.

As far as the throttling, if it throttled to 0, that'd be too easy. We'll probably have a future upgrade for it, but that'll be a tradeoff of some sort, as you'll have limited slots and other options.

Reactions: Padfoote

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Meh, honestly it's a reasonable rant. I'm going to revisit dynamo mechanics a bit. The drain of the stored buffer isn't really necessary, it's actually a penalty for turning it off. That'll be changing.

As far as the throttling, if it throttled to 0, that'd be too easy. We'll probably have a future upgrade for it, but that'll be a tradeoff of some sort, as you'll have limited slots and other options.
I suppose if you could work out a selection of "must have" upgrades, but only have slot space for 1 or 2, players have to judge what upgrades to actually use. I like that.

Reactions: Tristam Izumi

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for doing this, it was very helpful. I had no idea this was possible.

But now I do :)
Now I just have to figure how to do it without an 8-block long line of redstone in Horizons. :) You'd think projectRed or enderIO would have some kind of block to work with redstone signal strengths, but I haven't figured out what they are.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah zilverwolf, that is my concern with this method as well. I like a compact base, and setting up a line of redstone to act as a power meter doesn't really fit.
But it sounds like KL is going to remove the penalty for turning off your dynamos, so the point will eventually be moot.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah zilverwolf, that is my concern with this method as well. I like a compact base, and setting up a line of redstone to act as a power meter doesn't really fit.
But it sounds like KL is going to remove the penalty for turning off your dynamos, so the point will eventually be moot.
It's not as much about compact, in this case, but I have rooms above and below. Not sure where I'd even put the redstone. More than likely, I'll end up moving the machine room around in order to take advantage of this amazing thing. A very small price to pay for Awesome.

That said, maybe it's time to go to the projectRed forum thread and post a request for a gate that triggers when a signal of a certain strength is received.