Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, sorry about that. Seems some were thinking this is official and I didn't want KL coming here and telling me off. Haha.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Now I need more informations about the energy conduits, what can they support and such, I'm about to start producing energy from lava, currently I got 5 magmatic dynamo ready to be hooked to a redstone energy cell (the one that can contain 10000000 RF) but I need to know what is the best conduit for this, your wiki is outdated and there's no clear answers to this question anywhere, I suppose since there 3 type (or tier) of conduits, they must have some limits now, but what exactly are they, certainly don't want to loose any energy...

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Now I need more informations about the energy conduits, what can they support and such, I'm about to start producing energy from lava, currently I got 5 magmatic dynamo ready to be hooked to a redstone energy cell (the one that can contain 10000000 RF) but I need to know what is the best conduit for this, your wiki is outdated and there's no clear answers to this question anywhere, I suppose since there 3 type (or tier) of conduits, they must have some limits now, but what exactly are they, certainly don't want to loose any energy...
The tooltips contain this information.

Reactions: RedBoss

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the info, now I got the infamous crash when connecting the magmatic dynamos to redstone energy conduits, can't see the GUI, not sure why it does happen but it needs fixing, where can I report a crash, I'm not the kind that normally do this but here it is :

http://pastebin.com/27da3i2A

Edit: Think I found out, it seems I had edited the wrong railcraft.cfg on the server, now the hidden block is set to 0, hope this will resolve this problem, will report back soon...

Last edited:

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running into a bit of an issue with the latest beta, your machines are no longer processing ores from Simple Ores. Was a compatibility module removed?

Edit: This only appears to be the case with Mythril and Adamantium blocks which would previously smelt up in a redstone furnace.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like a number of people on reddit would like it slowed down so here's a test with it a bit slower.

This is quite nice! It's actually VERY similar to the animation we had on them initially, except we didn't have the pulse on the coil as well.

Here's why there currently isn't an animation:

To make this work, you need to make a frame strip and an mcmeta file. That's fine, no big deal. However, in this case - the frame strip is very large, as the dynamo is essentially a 64x64 texture, and a very tiny part of it is animated. So in the interest of not filling up the texture sheet, we haven't made them animated. It's not a difficult thing to do, and for anyone who can currently spare the room on the sheet, I encourage you to use any texture pack which includes something like this.

Here's our plan: I'd like to come up with a way to instead separately animate the coil and overlay it on top of the engine, but there's an openGL transform involved there and I just haven't sat down to do the proper math and rotation. Basically it'll be an animated texture that applies on top of the existing dynamo texture, and will take only a 16x16 strip on the texture sheet. And, since it will be the same basic animation for all of them, it will only be on the sheet once.

So the math works out to this: 64x64xYx4 vs 16x16xY (Y = number of frames) in terms of pixels on the texture sheet used. If you can spare them, then this is AWESOME. But we aren't going to assume everyone has that many laying around offhand.

But yeah, this is GOOD.
I'm running into a bit of an issue with the latest beta, your machines are no longer processing ores from Simple Ores. Was a compatibility module removed?

Edit: This only appears to be the case with Mythril and Adamantium blocks which would previously smelt up in a redstone furnace.

Hrm. The Redstone Furnace *did* change a bit recently, in the interest of cutting down on lag, but unless they are doing something extremely strange, it should work fine. If they are registering the ores during gameplay itself (this is bad and they should feel bad), that would cause this. Basically I changed the underlying data structure to use an inherently ore-dictionary aware ItemStack. All of the other TE machines use the same thing.

I'll look into it.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
This is quite nice! It's actually VERY similar to the animation we had on them initially, except we didn't have the pulse on the coil as well.

Here's why there currently isn't an animation:

To make this work, you need to make a frame strip and an mcmeta file. That's fine, no big deal. However, in this case - the frame strip is very large, as the dynamo is essentially a 64x64 texture, and a very tiny part of it is animated. So in the interest of not filling up the texture sheet, we haven't made them animated. It's not a difficult thing to do, and for anyone who can currently spare the room on the sheet, I encourage you to use any texture pack which includes something like this.

Here's our plan: I'd like to come up with a way to instead separately animate the coil and overlay it on top of the engine, but there's an openGL transform involved there and I just haven't sat down to do the proper math and rotation. Basically it'll be an animated texture that applies on top of the existing dynamo texture, and will take only a 16x16 strip on the texture sheet. And, since it will be the same basic animation for all of them, it will only be on the sheet once.

So the math works out to this: 64x64xYx4 vs 16x16xY (Y = number of frames) in terms of pixels on the texture sheet used. If you can spare them, then this is AWESOME. But we aren't going to assume everyone has that many laying around offhand.

But yeah, this is GOOD.

Hrm. The Redstone Furnace *did* change a bit recently, in the interest of cutting down on lag, but unless they are doing something extremely strange, it should work fine. If they are registering the ores during gameplay itself (this is bad and they should feel bad), that would cause this. Basically I changed the underlying data structure to use an inherently ore-dictionary aware ItemStack. All of the other TE machines use the same thing.

I'll look into it.
Definitely. Right now that animation is 6 frames. Add that to 4 dynamos and that takes a bit of room. Looking forward to when you can get the animations going.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What would be amazing if the dynamo animated texture adjusted it's speed base on it's power generation, but I feel that would be beyond what could be done with minecrafts texturing system, and require excessive processing to handle.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Just to confirm, it fixed the crash with the magmatic engines connected to a redstone energy conduit, I had to also edit the railcraft.cfg in my MultiMC5 instance, not sure what could have happened exactly, I was sure I had done the edit to make the hidden block to 0, hope it won't reset itself each time I connect to my server...

Nappa231

Jul 29, 2019
Simpler way is use world edit if you have it set up with mcpc and plugin capabilities. Worked for me less of a pain in the backside than MCedit and less chance of corrupting a world too

Mcpc+ keeps crashing on server startup. I had to stop using it and go vanilla. I haven't nailed down what is causing the crash.

Update: I got mcpc+ working but it deleted all non vanilla blocks when I joined the sever. Any idea on why it would do this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019

I'll look into it.

I quoted this to the Simple Ores dev, it should help him narrow down what's happening.

Mcpc+ keeps crashing on server startup. I had to stop using it and go vanilla. I haven't nailed down what is causing the crash.

Update: I got mcpc+ working but it deleted all non vanilla blocks when I joined the sever. Any idea on why it would do this?

It sounds like your configs were altered, if you're transitioning from a single player world to a multi-player mcpc+ world make sure you copy your configs into the server. You may want to double check them as well, I ran into an issue a few weeks ago where configs were being re-written though, I believe that was probably a Linux casing issue. You're also going to run into some very peculiar issues using mcpc+ so be prepared for that. That goes for anyone else making the switch.

Nappa231

Jul 29, 2019
I quoted this to the Simple Ores dev, it should help him narrow down what's happening.

It sounds like your configs were altered, if you're transitioning from a single player world to a multi-player mcpc+ world make sure you copy your configs into the server. You may want to double check them as well, I ran into an issue a few weeks ago where configs were being re-written though, I believe that was probably a Linux casing issue. You're also going to run into some very peculiar issues using mcpc+ so be prepared for that. That goes for anyone else making the switch.

I replaced the configs folder and it is doing the same thing. As i join the world it looks to me as if im falling through the world and when i look at the server console it has warnings streaming by saying [Warning] Skipping TileEntity with id X . X being an entity of any one of the mods i already have installed.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

After looking into it, uh...

5TIa9.jpg

5TIaC.jpg

I got nothin' for ya. It works fine as far as I can tell.

Reactions: RedBoss