Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
If I may ask why can't support for railcraft's hidden block be added? Its a rather desirable feature for those of us who use the trackman's glasses. If I recall correctly Thaumcraft uses fake air blocks too.

My computational issues with the block aside (hundreds of ticking tile entities per player on a server...really?), this isn't about supporting it or not.

This is a vanilla bug which is left unpatched in Forge 953. Vanilla did not have a correct codepath to handle the idea of a Tile Entity air block. So, you place it, the server gets the correct Block ID, metadata, and new Tile Entity. The client does not. The metadata is passed incorrectly as 0.

Game over.

Forge 965 will fix this - it is an emergency backdated Forge update because this issue is so insidious and so out of hand. The incredible part is that nobody reported this in nearly 5 months. There's no way that so few people play RailCraft. TE is not the only mod that has issues with the blocks.

EDIT: And TC's fair air blocks may or may not cause the issue. I am unsure. If they are Tile Entities, they will.

l3lackCalamity

Jul 29, 2019
My computational issues with the block aside (hundreds of ticking tile entities per player on a server...really?), this isn't about supporting it or not.

This is a vanilla bug which is left unpatched in Forge 953. Vanilla did not have a correct codepath to handle the idea of a Tile Entity air block. So, you place it, the server gets the correct Block ID, metadata, and new Tile Entity. The client does not. The metadata is passed incorrectly as 0.

Game over.

Forge 965 will fix this - it is an emergency backdated Forge update because this issue is so insidious and so out of hand. The incredible part is that nobody reported this in nearly 5 months. There's no way that so few people play RailCraft. TE is not the only mod that has issues with the blocks.

EDIT: And TC's fair air blocks may or may not cause the issue. I am unsure. If they are Tile Entities, they will.

It's not that I don't believe you, but could you be more specific as to what major game breaking issues have been ongoing the past few months? I've been actively watching the minecraft mods section those past 5 months, and witnessed many small mods (such as redstone paste), config their mods to overwrite fake air, successfully becoming compatible with hidden blocks. Furthermore, having watched several lets play series, including CovertJaguar's, I have yet to see any such critical failures. Even Archimedes Ships, a block movement mod, is working.

Are you sure this issue is as big as you make it out to be?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
They forked an old version of Forge just to put this fix in.

So yes, I am sure.

The issue isn't "Fake Air," the issue is invisible tile entities. You don't see this with a lot of mods because they don't have multiple tile entities with GUIs on the same block ID. The mods that do get screwed royally by the current vanilla behavior.

It has nothing to do with block movement, as normal blocks will overwrite the air and kill the entity without issue. Tile Entities placed on top of Tile Entities don't do that properly. Or rather they do, but the client doesn't get to hear about it. Hence, the issue.

EDIT: Part of it is that people for the most part don't get the debugging process. That's not a slight, just that the average player doesn't think like a programmer. The fluid sync bug has also existed for 5 months, but it wasn't until about a week ago that the real cause was figured out - alphabetizing of mod names is different on Linux/Windows, leading to different load orders, and mucking everything up. And yet, for 5 months, people accepted it as "weird."

l3lackCalamity

Jul 29, 2019
They forked an old version of Forge just to put this fix in.

So yes, I am sure.

The issue isn't "Fake Air," the issue is invisible tile entities. You don't see this with a lot of mods because they don't have multiple tile entities with GUIs on the same block ID. The mods that do get screwed royally by the current vanilla behavior.

It has nothing to do with block movement, as normal blocks will overwrite the air and kill the entity without issue. Tile Entities placed on top of Tile Entities don't do that properly. Or rather they do, but the client doesn't get to hear about it. Hence, the issue.

EDIT: Part of it is that people for the most part don't get the debugging process. That's not a slight, just that the average player doesn't think like a programmer. The fluid sync bug has also existed for 5 months, but it wasn't until about a week ago that the real cause was figured out - alphabetizing of mod names is different on Linux/Windows, leading to different load orders, and mucking everything up. And yet, for 5 months, people accepted it as "weird."

I see. Thank you for the expanded explanation.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Ooooh ooooh! Just what I was missing, I love staring blankly at banks of engines doing their thangs.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet looking flashing lights there. :3 Is there a configuration option to disable the animation though?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
... Eh, too slow, I much prefer the faster animation.
Yeah, not sure which one I prefer atm. Technically, the faster one is the "correct" one. Dynamos typically spin fast.[DOUBLEPOST=1387555673][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow. The things people nitpick about. I never considered there tk be a problem with the sped of the animation. But then again I. Was fine with the dynamos just being lit when on.

Haha, there's always something to nitpick about!

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, not sure which one I prefer atm. Technically, the faster one is the "correct" one. Dynamos typically spin fast.[DOUBLEPOST=1387555673][/DOUBLEPOST]
Agreed, and it doesn't really fall in line with the recent buff to the servos.
This will probably throw the client/server freindly out the window with the animation but here goes. Is it possible for the animation speed to vary according to how much RF the servo is producing?
Haven't had a chance to really play 1.6 yet, so this might have gone away with the update. But assuming the dynamo's are still "smart" and throttle there output depending on whats needed at the time.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
the other animation that the dynamo's had was also nice, when TE wasn't released yet, the ones with the moving parts.
but these animations are also nice

by the way, did anoyone saw the sneakpeak of tema's RF generators? :p

5hM3InY.png

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, and it doesn't really fall in line with the recent buff to the servos.
This will probably throw the client/server freindly out the window with the animation but here goes. Is it possible for the animation speed to vary according to how much RF the servo is producing?
Haven't had a chance to really play 1.6 yet, so this might have gone away with the update. But assuming the dynamo's are still "smart" and throttle there output depending on whats needed at the time.

The animation shouldn't cause any noticeable slow downs, depending on how many times the engine ticks when rendering the pulsing effect.
KingLemming's done a pretty bang up job so far on preserving minimal tick rate.

Wow. The things people nitpick about. I never considered there tk be a problem with the sped of the animation. But then again I. Was fine with the dynamos just being lit when on.
Anyone nitpicking about the dynamo's blinking obviously hasn't used Mekanism's Universal Cables before ;)

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Just want to point out these are NOT official animations. There are just added in by myself. KingLemming may or may not be adding his own animation. It just felt weird looking at them doing nothing and felt I needed to change that, haha.