Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
This discussion serves only to make me feel more excited about playing a TE only world. I had never stop to think about what KL said... We are asking to balance shit not because it is OP on their nature, but became OP on the environment we use, aka, a modpack.

It's even simpler than that. If there are "OP" (I hate the word, it is completely wrong in most instances) things created as the result of multiple mods interacting then it doesn't mean anyone HAS to use them. If they happily go ahead then they have no right to complain about the OP'ness of it. If someone is happy to exploit something they feel is OP, they are only cheating themselves at the end.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Then again... if it is OP, then don't use it. You know, don't download it, don't install it, remove it if it is included in a mod pack you play... no one is shoving a gun to your head and forcing you to play with it, after all.

You know what I like most about TE? Lag reduction. Perfect example would be using the Igneous Extruder as a cobblegen. Now, i could make a cobblegen with a water and lava sourceblock if I wanted, but the IE is a lot less laggy (wow, never thought I would be typing that out...). Likewise, the Aqueous Accumulator is a great low-lag and consistently performing infinite water supply. Sure, there's other ways to do it, but I like the AA.

The Tesseracts are amazing for lag reduction. Not simply having pipes running for hundreds of blocks, but chunkloading those hundreds of blocks for the items to continue smoothly running through them can bring a server to its knees.

I've always been puzzled by people shouting 'that needs to be nerfed!'. In the first place, most mods come with config settings. If you think something is too powerful, you are free to go into the config files and change it yourself. In the second place, it probably isn't the mod itself so much as a synergy between that mod and another mod. So it really seems like by saying 'this needs to be nerfed', you are wanting to ruin the fun of other people... which is kinda rude. Ask for a config option to nerf certain mechanics, sure. But hard-code the nerf into the mechanics of the mod? Kinda harsh, doncha think?

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Most complaints about 'OP'ness seem to be based off of vague gut feelings instead of any kind of serious analysis. Case in point: People going 'TE is the OP!!' then using a feature from another mod to justify it. Which invalidates the entire argument.

The short of it is that your can never fully balance mods as a plural because the next DartComputerExchangeCraft could appear at anytime. Also like 90% mod authors don't know how to buff.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
Mods will never be perfectly "balanced" with every other mod there is out there, as certain mods can throw all others out of the water. EE2 was a good example of this, it was balanced around itself and made mods that balanced themselves around diamonds and other mined resources meaningless. GregTech on the other hand has taken the opposite approach, and nerfed anything not balanced around itself, which will make anything that duplicates or performs similar tasks to one of its tools or machine that hasn't had its recipe changed seem OP.

Liquiducts and conduits have since 1.4.2 been many peoples choice over pipes because simply they work better in most cases, but cost more.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
This discussion serves only to make me feel more excited about playing a TE only world. I had never stop to think about what KL said... We are asking to balance shit not because it is OP on their nature, but became OP on the environment we use, aka, a modpack.

If he keeps the same balance he had in 1.5 and doesn't utterly destroy fuel values like BC/IC2 mods did my server is honestly considering getting rid of BC/IC2 and its mods as much as we possibly can and just going full TE/MFR/Factorization/CC for our needs from now on.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
The trouble is, the mod authors nerf things because they become the "industry standard" so to speak. In 1.2.5, lava was the fuel source of choice, steves carts tree farms in 1.4.7, fuel in 1.5, and few people use anything else because the said fuel is more powerful/cheaper/easier to set up that alternatives, so they get nerfed to encourage people to use something else, but then that becomes the "OP" fuel of choice, and the cycle starts again. Soul shards in 1.4.7 is another similar example of that.

At the end of the day, it's up to individual mod authors to do what they decide is right - it's their mod after all.

Reactions: immibis

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
If he keeps the same balance he had in 1.5 and doesn't utterly destroy fuel values like BC/IC2 mods did my server is honestly considering getting rid of BC/IC2 and its mods as much as we possibly can and just going full TE/MFR/Factorization/CC for our needs from now on.

Don't forget Ender IO. It's mostly redundant with TE, but there's some nice stuff in there that TE doesn't so and TE does stuff that Ender IO doesn't do.

Also, RotaryCraft is looking mighty nice. I did some poking in there, and a single Gas Turbine can put out 67 MegaWatts, which translates to 1192 MJ/t ! At least, according to Reika's API on GitHub:

Code:
public static double getWattsPerMJ() {
//if (!doesBuildCraftExist())
return 56280; //default *4?
//double power = getFuelRealPower();
//double mj = getFuelMJPerTick();
//return power/mj; //as of 1.5.2, is 56.28kW per MJ/t
}
source : https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/DragonAPI/blob/master/ModInteract/ReikaBuildCraftHelper.java

That would easily meet my end-game needs.

Anyone know how to convert RotaryCraft MW to BC MJ ?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I think a non-IC2/Buildcraft pack would actually be appealing to a great many people. There are tons of new mods for 1.6 that deserve more attention. Magic shines in this MC version anyways, so a refreshing take on tech is the next possible progression.

Seriously this idea merits its own thread.

Also MagiTech mods like TE would fit in nicely as well. :p

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: PierceSG

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I think a non-IC2/Buildcraft pack would actually be appealing to a great many people. There are tons of new mods for 1.6 that deserve more attention. Magic shines in this MC version anyways, so a refreshing take on tech is the next possible progression.

My current 1.6 modpack is all-magic. It's amazing how much the performance improves when you cut out "Buildustrialcraft" from the mix. :)

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget Ender IO. It's mostly redundant with TE, but there's some nice stuff in there that TE doesn't so and TE does stuff that Ender IO doesn't do.

Also, RotaryCraft is looking mighty nice. I did some poking in there, and a single Gas Turbine can put out 67 MegaWatts, which translates to 1192 MJ/t ! At least, according to Reika's API on GitHub:

Code:
public static double getWattsPerMJ() {
//if (!doesBuildCraftExist())
return 56280; //default *4?
//double power = getFuelRealPower();
//double mj = getFuelMJPerTick();
//return power/mj; //as of 1.5.2, is 56.28kW per MJ/t
}
source : https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/DragonAPI/blob/master/ModInteract/ReikaBuildCraftHelper.java

That would easily meet my end-game needs.

Anyone know how to convert RotaryCraft MW to BC MJ ?
RotaryCraft got an Engine to convert its Power into MJ, actually at least 2. One which directly converts to MJ and one which creates steam. You probably need severl of those as a single can only convert a portion before maxing out.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft got an Engine to convert its Power into MJ, actually at least 2. One which directly converts to MJ and one which creates steam. You probably need severl of those as a single can only convert a portion before maxing out.

Note: These are only enabled if buildcraft is installed

Reactions: RedBoss

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, another source of steam? Interesting...bet Atomic Science's Reactor Turbine would love to know who that is?

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization can make steam from Solar Boilers as well, a fully mirrored Solar Tower is equal to about 11HP boilers.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
11 HP boilers as in 11 of those 36 blocks boilers?
Or you meant equivalent to a 11 block boiler (is there such a thing?)?
Then again, the solar boiler setup will not work at night and while raining.
Also, my question is with regards to RotaryCraft. RedBoss mentioned that something in that mod produces steam.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
11 HP boilers as in 11 of those 36 blocks boilers?
Or you meant equivalent to a 11 block boiler (is there such a thing?)?
Then again, the solar boiler setup will not work at night and while raining.
Also, my question is with regards to RotaryCraft. RedBoss mentioned that something in that mod produces steam.

11 of the High Preasure boiler blocks, can run 5 Industrial Steam engines at full power, a Turbine at about 65%ish. Make a mystcraft world with a permanent sun in the sky and no weather.