Suggest Mods for FTB Here

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
  • Mods that provide "sinks" for the massive quantities of resources generated by automation (esp. left overnight, w/chunk loaders...), to close the supply loop. Automation so often seems like overkill to me: A single Sugar Cane farm can generate an absurd quantity of Sugar Cane in just a few hours, to use one example. Some of the go-to examples of current almost-sinks include IC2's Recycler and Forestry's handling of organic materials, but neither of these are true item sinks---they compress/condense/convert items into smaller forms, but they don't use the items up. Examples: Mods that use up massive quantities of renewable items to do something, perhaps with an efficiency that isn't based on quantity but on rate of input (e.g. instead of "64x Sugar Cane = 1x Ubermabob", it would be "64x Sugar Cane per Second = 'Ultra Speed'"); Mods that can take a massive influx of resources and create a state of equilibrium, without constantly outputting something to storage; Mods with interesting and attractive end-game content requiring huge quantities of renewables to fuel and/or create.
Interesting idea but do you have any idea what kind of hit that would be to FPS. All that ultra speed means ultra computing requirements.
Just turn your farms of when your storage chest gets full. You can auto mate for this. And build smaller farms too.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to burst your bubble, but all lighting in Minecraft is 'radiant' as you call it, because that's the way the lighting engine works. From looking at the pictures you provided, I can guarantee that Greg's Lighting uses invisible, transparent blocks that emit light to achieve its 'cone' lighting. And invisible blocks that emit light cause a lot of problems for other mods, especially Buildcraft quarries. Factorization Wrath Lamps work using the same idea of insivisble light emitting blocks, and look at the problems they cause with Buildcraft quarries.

Kaminho

Jul 29, 2019
Probably someone already said that, but i mostly prefer to add Logostic Pipes 1.4.7 into FTB ModPacks, im using them 1 month and they are working very very very well, they are maintained buy Jenkins (not Krapht) and he made lots of cool changes, and googles which gives u 3d HUD, its looks so good. just try it out. And from now u need power to keep it work, cool mod (Its one of this mods that MUST BE on my world)

http://ci.thezorro266.com/job/LogisticsPipes/

and some video (i could't find english one lol, hope u know spanish :)

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
It has been said many times that they will wait for the 'official' version (one made by Krapht) before adding it as apparently (last I heard anyway) he was going to work on it again.

modpir8king

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like a cool aesthetic mod. But it changes too much and appears to completely remove vanilla stone/cobblestone (but can apparently be crafted). It probably wouldn't play nice with other mod ores as well.
No it doesn't just recently tried it and it affects extra bees rock bees, Apatite, and it seems to also hamper other ores due to its lignite spawn's which are huge (100 - 200 blocks). Also the different cobble stone can only be used for some recipes not all so when starting out you will require villages houses for a source of cobble. It's cool in theory but it needs work in regards to compatibility but it will be extra biomes 4.0

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize for not having specific mods in mind; rather, these are more general suggestions for particular types of mods that I think would greatly benefit FTB. Hopefully more knowledgeable members of the community might have some suggestions, or (pipe-dreaming, here!) perhaps these ideas might even inspire a new mod:
  • Mods that emphasize the need to travel, by encouraging exploration and---especially---geographical expansion. After mining that first handful of diamonds, too many mods aspire to give us everything we need without ever having to leave our house again. ExtraBiomes provides such gorgeous landscapes... but there aren't enough reasons to go exploring them. RailCraft provides absolutely brilliant transportation technology... but other mods remove the need to go anywhere, much less set up a railway network that allows back-and-forth travel over long distances (not that Vanilla Minecraft bursts with reasons to explore, to be fair). Examples: Mods with biome-dependent features (like Forestry's bees... before those advanced apiaries give you everything you need without leaving your house); mods that add/alter generated structures so you want to go back to them -- perhaps offering immobile artifacts/machines with unique functions, to justify rail/shipping lines to them; mods that emphasize villagers and village mechanics, increasing the need/desire to build a railway to the nearest village, etc.
  • Mods that provide "sinks" for the massive quantities of resources generated by automation (esp. left overnight, w/chunk loaders...), to close the supply loop. Automation so often seems like overkill to me: A single Sugar Cane farm can generate an absurd quantity of Sugar Cane in just a few hours, to use one example. Some of the go-to examples of current almost-sinks include IC2's Recycler and Forestry's handling of organic materials, but neither of these are true item sinks---they compress/condense/convert items into smaller forms, but they don't use the items up. Examples: Mods that use up massive quantities of renewable items to do something, perhaps with an efficiency that isn't based on quantity but on rate of input (e.g. instead of "64x Sugar Cane = 1x Ubermabob", it would be "64x Sugar Cane per Second = 'Ultra Speed'"); Mods that can take a massive influx of resources and create a state of equilibrium, without constantly outputting something to storage; Mods with interesting and attractive end-game content requiring huge quantities of renewables to fuel and/or create.
  • Balanced End-game Goals based on imaginative development, rather than mindless grinding. Perhaps the most important, but I left it till last because this one's a little obvious. Best counter-example I can think of is the Nether Star, which in my opinion was a terribly ill-thought end-game "goal". Grinding for hours in search of Wither Skeleton Skulls belongs in an 80's era JRPG (I still love you, Final Fantasy I), not the world of infinite possibilities that is Minecraft. As for "balanced", I point to ThaumCraft (2 and 3)---where everything has a cost and/or a risk associated with it (so I really hope EE3's scary-looking Redwater mechanic has genuine teeth). End-game content shouldn't be about turning Survival into Creative Mode---we don't need more flying rings... unless there's a good chance you'll fall---but about taking bigger, more expensive and more elaborate risks for proportional rewards. Examples: A mod that provides a more fun (but still difficult) means of acquiring Nether Stars (because beacons are great); Mods that provide more of those "functional structures" (the official term escapes me), where multiple costly blocks are assembled in a certain pattern to create a larger machine (e.g. beacons, Coke Ovens)---such structures strike me as especially good design space for balanced end-game content (I've long dreamed of a MystCraft-style tech mod that used rocket ships instead of books to take you to other planets, whose surface conditions have to be studied from high-altitude observatories so you know what equipment you need to bring with you to breathe...)
I suppose all of these suggestions carry a common theme: improving the end game. After playing a lot of Tekkit and FTB, I hate that "running out of things to do" feeling that so often comes after spending so long in a world. It always comes after a steadily-mounting stream of "I could do {insert project}... but why? I have nothing to gain from the fruits of my labor: no reason to travel, nothing fun to build, no need for more power." Sure, "because I want to, just for fun!" is ananswer, but it's not the best one: "Because I need to, so I can get {goal}..." is far better. Moreover, the end-game is especiallyimportant in a modpack like FTB, I think, because so much more effort goes into laying the foundations for a world: sorting systems, power grids, etc. Spending days and days setting all that up only to run out of things to do is a letdown, something that a collection of fun end-game goals based on building, exploration, and exploitation of the world would do wonders to improve.

This is exactly the type mods we like to look for.

Reactions: electroscape

WatcherInTheShadows

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like a cool aesthetic mod. But it changes too much and appears to completely remove vanilla stone/cobblestone (but can apparently be crafted). It probably wouldn't play nice with other mod ores as well.

Changes too much? What is too much in the wider modding scheme of things?

Worth a test.
But it should be said that just because it changes vanilla Gens doesn't mean it'll affect mod gens.

Reactions: runlvlzero

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
These mods might be a good addition.
Adds some biomes, offers something called a biome dictionary, adds natural gas for BC. And adds base defense items.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...aft-updated-hemp-defense-and-biomedictionary/

I was able to get this mod loading and it seems to work just fine with DW20 5.1.1 in case your curious, all I changed was

This file: Direwolf20>minecraft>config>EmasherHemp.cfg

Code:
Direwolf20>minecraft>config>EmasherHemp.cfg

block {
    I:"Hemp Block ID"=211
}

To:
Code:
Direwolf20>minecraft>config>EmasherHemp.cfg

block {
    I:"Hemp Block ID"=205
}

For many of you here this is probably easy, or old news, but. I used NEI to do a IDmap dump and work it out. If you ever need to do it yourself besure to do an IDMAPDump before updating the mod, then enable the mod once and let it crash to resolve the ID conflict. My first trial in getting mods to work together. Good luck all =)

I have not tested it, just zipped up my old world and going to generate a new one and play =) Awesome suggestion because I kinda hate the vanilla mountain terrain generation, a lot.

Reactions: WatcherInTheShadows

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1625015-147-applied-energistics-rv-8-b/

Applied Energistics. A really cool tech mod, and compatible with the mods, and interacts with them. Does a lot of really cool things. Also, if it gets added, I dibs wiki article xD.

The moment in the Mod Spotlight that he confirmed Logistics Pipes would work with this was the moment that I added it to my list of mods to install to my game. This is an extremely awesome solution to storing stuff. My support, for what that is worth, is given to this.

Reactions: Paradisio

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Galacticraft This is a very new mod so there are probably a lot of bugs right now, but in the future I think it would be perfect for some of the mod packs. Its an awesome space mod, theres not a ton to do yet but in the future It will eventually have a bunch of different planets, customizable space ships, new mobs and generated structures. Words cant do this mod justice though, you have to try it for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.