Suggest Mods for FTB Here

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

PHI_Flyers10

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know if it's been answered, but why is Metallurgy considered unbalanced? It just adds a lot of ores that can be used for weapons and armor but they aren't necessarily overpowered.

CaelThunderwing

Jul 29, 2019
well looking thru the Mods section over on the minecraft forums and having had fun with it on 1.2.5 *shifty eyes about a modpack that shall not be mentioned* and teh music it added was rather nice, however i did read "unfinished mods will have a hard road getting in here" this mod is Unfinished (as in updating past 1.2.5)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...-v12-july-11-albums-and-portable-disc-player/

the mod maker is stuped at making it work in 1.3.2 he mentions most of it worked except SMP, and the GUI, that a PM about it and he'd hand over the source code to it,could be used in actual FTB Maps for background music for say finishing a difficult challange etc, or a means to finally ad custom music for various maps or stages, could turn out to be a litteral diamond in the rough for FTB,

lindyhopfan

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know if it's been answered, but why is Metallurgy considered unbalanced? It just adds a lot of ores that can be used for weapons and armor but they aren't necessarily overpowered.

It's not that Metallurgy is itself unbalanced - it isn't. It's more that the balance of all the other mods hinge on the availability/rarity of various ores. Metallurgy 2 by default overwrites the default spawn behaviour of vanilla ores. For one thing, it removes the height restrictions so you are just as likely to find diamonds on the surface as down on the bottom of the map. Also, the spawn rate of vanilla ores such as iron are reduced by default, which is designed to get the player to rely on the new ores instead.

So, instead of causing a problem with causing the player to be overpowered, the problem with Metallurgy 2, particularly at default settings, is that it makes players underpowered. They'll dig and dig and have a hard time finding enough iron to get started on industrialcraft, and of course railcraft needs even more iron. Gold and diamond is harder to find as well. One approach to this problem, which is what Shadowclaimer, the developer of Metallurgy recommends is to adjust the Metallurgy config files to increase the spawn rate of vanilla ores so that other mods that need those ores can have access to a sufficient quantity. The problem is that this moves the burden of game balancing onto Slowpoke and his team, and they would rather trust the game developers to work on providing game balance.

These concerns will be greatly alleviated in the future, however. Shadowclaimer and his team are hard at work on Metallurgy 3, and they are promising to rework and rebalance the ore spawning system. I am hopeful these changes will make it easier to integrate Metallurgy with Feed the Beast without needing to tweak configs. Other changes that are coming make me think that Metallurgy will become even more desirable for the Feed The Beast team. For example, Metallurgy crushers will get a new mechanic and will no longer duplicate ores, which is good because that is a feature which right now has too much overlap with other mods in FTB.

Wait and see what comes of Metallurgy 3, and hopefully the FTB team will give it another chance to be considered for inclusion at that point.

Reactions: SuperFlorian12

Jeza

Jul 29, 2019
What about Thaumcraft 3? i know its in the magic world pack but i really didn't wanna choose between two mod pack's when i create my server Will it be in One whole pack when all the mods and updated to the latest version of minecraft?
It is planned to be in the Ultimate pack when it is released.

PHI_Flyers10

Jul 29, 2019
It's not that Metallurgy is itself unbalanced - it isn't. It's more that the balance of all the other mods hinge on the availability/rarity of various ores. Metallurgy 2 by default overwrites the default spawn behaviour of vanilla ores. For one thing, it removes the height restrictions so you are just as likely to find diamonds on the surface as down on the bottom of the map. Also, the spawn rate of vanilla ores such as iron are reduced by default, which is designed to get the player to rely on the new ores instead.

So, instead of causing a problem with causing the player to be overpowered, the problem with Metallurgy 2, particularly at default settings, is that it makes players underpowered. They'll dig and dig and have a hard time finding enough iron to get started on industrialcraft, and of course railcraft needs even more iron. Gold and diamond is harder to find as well. One approach to this problem, which is what Shadowclaimer, the developer of Metallurgy recommends is to adjust the Metallurgy config files to increase the spawn rate of vanilla ores so that other mods that need those ores can have access to a sufficient quantity. The problem is that this moves the burden of game balancing onto Slowpoke and his team, and they would rather trust the game developers to work on providing game balance.

These concerns will be greatly alleviated in the future, however. Shadowclaimer and his team are hard at work on Metallurgy 3, and they are promising to rework and rebalance the ore spawning system. I am hopeful these changes will make it easier to integrate Metallurgy with Feed the Beast without needing to tweak configs. Other changes that are coming make me think that Metallurgy will become even more desirable for the Feed The Beast team. For example, Metallurgy crushers will get a new mechanic and will no longer duplicate ores, which is good because that is a feature which right now has too much overlap with other mods in FTB.

Wait and see what comes of Metallurgy 3, and hopefully the FTB team will give it another chance to be considered for inclusion at that point.
Thanks for the great response. That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully they can get it all worked out because I'd love to have some other stuff to play with, even though I've only just started FTB this past week. There's so much to do with it all.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
What about Braintech Agricultures?
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7490&pageNo=1
It adds some very cool and, in my opinion, much needed variety to IC2's default crops, as well as adding some very cool possibilities, without being OP, as you might think with a cursory glance. (I can personally attest that most, if not all of the mob plants grow slowly, and considering how long it would take you to breed them to grow faster, you're probably putting just as much effort into that as you would simply finding the mobs in the world, or setting up a mob farm in a void age.)

Reactions: Jeza

Kiel B.

Jul 29, 2019
Was too lazy to look back at previous posts, has Treecapitator been suggested yet? I checked and I swore it was made for Minecraft Forge, and I for one particularly liked how it alleviated the tediousness of chopping down lots o' trees in Technic. But then again, I guess that would make Forestry kinda redundant. Still, just wondering if you guys are considering re-implementing it.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
It's been suggested repeatedly. The common answer about it so far has been that it undermines a later game axe from Thaumcraft. That's assuming the axe will be added to Thaumcraft 3 in the future.

Kiel B.

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yes, I remember that reading about that axe. I suppose that would only make sense; at least it makes the game harder, and the end-game much more enjoyable (with that sense of ABSOLUTE POWA), and I'm actually kinda okay with that. Not a real big fan of chopping all those trees down though. Ah well, I guess the personal value of the reward increases with the amount of work done.

buljons

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone recommended the new Crafting table 3 mod called Easy Crafting?

Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1558714-142145-smp-easy-crafting-automatic-crafting-table-one-click-craft/

This would be great to have, The creator seems happy to give permission. The thread also seems to suggest that people have already been using it alongside FTB with success :)
Its superior to its predecessor as you can configure the "depth" of the recipes, plus its ready for 1.4.5/1.4.2

Having access to this mod again would be so great, makes crafting so much easier/quicker/enjoyable.

Would love to see this.

Jeza

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that Redpower was to be released on December the 21st. Does anyone know if this is true?

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that Redpower was to be released on December the 21st. Does anyone know if this is true?
Well 1.4.6 is coming out around then, and then the redstone overhaul update a month later. I honestly don't know if its gonna ever get updated. I will however say that there is a pretty much bug free perfectly working version on the forgecraft server.

Webmetz

Jul 29, 2019
Mods that I majorly recommend:
Too Many Plants - Adds 15 more plants and 17 items.
Chococraft - Low impact. Adds a passive mob and occasional plants. Tested and compatible with mystcraft and twilight forest.
Optifine - Improves fps for most.
Extended Workbench - adds recipes for improved versions of vanilla tools and armor, which are more expensive accordingly.
In Game NBT Edit - Would allow ops to create player heads without editing the world save, as well as other things. Like adding armor to mobs.
Ropes+ - Ziplines, Grapling Hooks, and Hook Shot

Here are some mods I sorta recommend:
Thormod - Adds more biomes (some from alpha, when biomes were cool :p), colored planks (I SO WANT THIS), Wool Carpets (THIS TOO), Better Glass Pane, Cracked Planks, Checkers Planks, Gravelstone, Metal Rods, More Ores and Ore Storage Blocks, Armor and Tools of different materials including obsidian tools, Nether Ores, Ender Ores, Obsidian Pressure Plates, Portable Structures, More Plants, more trees, more food (including diamond apples and burgers and pizza), some new passive mobs, more recipies for vanilla items (including slimeballs)
Smart Moving
Millenaire

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The post claimed it would be delayed until AFTER December 21st, not ON the 21st, and this was a jest referring to the end of the world hullabaloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.