Request Suggest mods for creation here

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wondering... would it be possible to make a mod that'll control forge dictionairy of other mods?
for example let's say you've a modpack that has like 5 different types of copper, would it be possible to use a mod in which you configure what type of copper you want to use and it'll disable all the other coppers from the other mods?

I was thinking about this because the past few days I've seen some new mods which allow you to convert different type of blocks and items using the forge dictionairy, but what if there was a mod that would simply prevent the other types of the forge dictionairy, thus you not needing to convert your blocks and items.

ModTweaker and MineTweaker provide all the functionality needed to do this, so it should be possible to write an extension to modtweaker where you specify a certain oredict entry and an instance of it to unify it to. I was actually considering making this at one point.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wondering... would it be possible to make a mod that'll control forge dictionairy of other mods?
for example let's say you've a modpack that has like 5 different types of copper, would it be possible to use a mod in which you configure what type of copper you want to use and it'll disable all the other coppers from the other mods?

I was thinking about this because the past few days I've seen some new mods which allow you to convert different type of blocks and items using the forge dictionairy, but what if there was a mod that would simply prevent the other types of the forge dictionairy, thus you not needing to convert your blocks and items.
Gregtech is doing that to an extent, it doesn't disable other types but it automatically converts them when you have them in your inventory

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
ModTweaker and MineTweaker provide all the functionality needed to do this, so it should be possible to write an extension to modtweaker where you specify a certain oredict entry and an instance of it to unify it to. I was actually considering making this at one point.

this would be awesome to have, you should really consider doing this if you've the time and motivation for it.

Gregtech is doing that to an extent, it doesn't disable other types but it automatically converts them when you have them in your inventory

but what if a machine picks up the item/block for you? will you still need to transfer the item/block into your inventory to be able to convert them?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
You can kind of fake that with Destabilized Redstone and a line of TE glowstone lamps- the redstone liquid does basically what you suggest, but with redstone signals rather than light levels, and the lamps can be configured to output light equal to the strength of an incoming redstone signal.
Sounds doable, though. Although I think the Forge fluid dictionary has some kind of fixed "light level" parameter for fluids... which may or may not be a problem.

I wasn't thinking along the lines of "What could I construct". I was thinking along the lines of "Change the lighting behavior of lava". Right now, a drop of lava is as bright as a full block.

... and ... why is lava considered bright?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So after reading up on lava at wikipedia: A mod to place new smooth stone on the ground after lava has reached it's flow limit and can't go farther.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
there's a few modpacks going around that give you the option to tweak the pack to your liking. you can choose modules that feature certain mods and by combining them you're creating your own modpack.
they also give you the option what kind of configuration module you want for your pack, making the game either harder or easier for yourself.

with that I was thinking... would it be possible for a minecraft mod to do something similar?
because in my opinion, a few configuration tweaks can completely change the gameplay of a modpack. it can make the game a whole lot easier, but it can also make it a whole lot harder.

so I was wondering if it'd be possible to create a mod that'd allow you to pick between several configuration options of the modpack.
there'd be a directory in the modpack folder that contain several directories, with each directory having different configuration files for mods.

when you start the game, you're able to choose what configuration option you want to use, after making your choice you'd obviously need to reloaded minecraft to apply the changes.
after relaunching you'd be able to play the modpack with the configuration option you chose.
you could be possible to change the configuration options, but you'd have to get a warning message when you try to load a world that's already been played with a different configuration option.

an example for this mod could be a modpack with HQM, some people like the mod, the others not so much.
you could have 2 configuration options, one which features HQM with quests and could remove some recipes and would let you complete quests to obtain these items, while the other configuration option disables HQM and keeps the recipes. with a mod like this a modpack could be played all kinds of ways, and you could even create your own configuration options and share them with others.

though I think the big problem with a mod like this would be that you'd need to edit every single mod, even forge, in the modpack to force them to use a different directory folder, and I've a feeling that that'd probably be impossible to do unless you do alot of hacky things to all the mods

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Depends. Are you basically saying, "There are 5 subfolders for the config, choose which of them you want to be the real one for this game"?

That can be done by making a ...

Hmm. I was going to say, "make a symbolic link". But that only works if the config folders are not inside of config, but at the same level (so config.choices), and you make a symlink from config to config.choices/{selection}.

... Does minecraft run on windows 98 or windows NT? Symlinks have been on windows since windows 2000.

Otherwise, yea, have forge return a different directory.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Most mods are using a Forge method to determine the config file. It would in most cases be enough to hack Forge.
Depends. Are you basically saying, "There are 5 subfolders for the config, choose which of them you want to be the real one for this game"?

That can be done by making a ...

Hmm. I was going to say, "make a symbolic link". But that only works if the config folders are not inside of config, but at the same level (so config.choices), and you make a symlink from config to config.choices/{selection}.

... Does minecraft run on windows 98 or windows NT? Symlinks have been on windows since windows 2000.

Otherwise, yea, have forge return a different directory.

there would probably still be a standard config folder incase you don't have the mod enabled, otherwise you won't be able to play the pack.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
... It just hit me (WHAM)...

Redstone resistors.

If you want to emit a redstone signal of exactly 7, what do you do?
Mostly, you end up placing a lever, and then some redstone dust, and then picking the redstone signal up with another wire to make it stay 7 (be it bluewire, redwire, or conduit) until you need it. Some numbers you can make smaller by using a comparitor in additon or subtraction mode, but it's not as tidy as either a solid state resistor or an adjustable resister.

Me, I've been using redstone books in bookcases combined with comparitors to get this effect, but it's not as nice.

So, that's my contribution for the year to whomever wants to use it.

Reactions: Otho and Gamefury64

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
... It just hit me (WHAM)...

Redstone resistors.

If you want to emit a redstone signal of exactly 7, what do you do?
Mostly, you end up placing a lever, and then some redstone dust, and then picking the redstone signal up with another wire to make it stay 7 (be it bluewire, redwire, or conduit) until you need it. Some numbers you can make smaller by using a comparitor in additon or subtraction mode, but it's not as tidy as either a solid state resistor or an adjustable resister.

Me, I've been using redstone books in bookcases combined with comparitors to get this effect, but it's not as nice.

So, that's my contribution for the year to whomever wants to use it.
Hmm... You can get a precise constant strength with a a Redstone: Volume 1 in the seventh (for example) slot of a Bibliocraft bookshelf. You should also be able to do it with a Buildcraft gate with a Redstone Fader.

You can also emulate a redstone resistor with a the aforementioned book and shelf, along with a comparator in subtract mode. But I agree, a compact way to reduce the strength of a signal by a specific amount that doesn't require an obscure feature in an almost purely decorative mod or all the diamonds and infrastructure needed for BC assembly tables and lasers would be nice.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Mwa-ha-ha, don't go messing with my pack :)

if you don't have the mod enabled, but the mod does have all the configurations in other directories, how on earth would the other mods get access to their configurations if it's not in the default directory?
it's not about preventing people from playing the pack if a mob is disabled, it's actually the other way around, allowing people to play the pack if a mod is disabled.

Kyle98750

Sep 16, 2013
A mod that allows you to filter item creation methods in NEI through a config. For example I created a different way to make compressed plates from Galacticraft but the ingot compressor recipe still shows up but the machines recipe is removed and it is hid from NEI. It would be nice to filter that from showing up to avoid confusion the on the pack users end.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that allows you to filter item creation methods in NEI through a config. For example I created a different way to make compressed plates from Galacticraft but the ingot compressor recipe still shows up but the machines recipe is removed and it is hid from NEI. It would be nice to filter that from showing up to avoid confusion the on the pack users end.
This is done with minetwaeker. Unfortunately to my knowledge minetweaker or its addon modtweaker don't support this.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
This is done with minetwaeker. Unfortunately to my knowledge minetweaker or its addon modtweaker don't support this.
Isn't it something like "nei.hide"...? http://minetweaker3.powerofbytes.com/wiki/Mods:NEI_Support

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
there's a few modpacks going around that give you the option to tweak the pack to your liking. you can choose modules that feature certain mods and by combining them you're creating your own modpack.
they also give you the option what kind of configuration module you want for your pack, making the game either harder or easier for yourself.

with that I was thinking... would it be possible for a minecraft mod to do something similar?
because in my opinion, a few configuration tweaks can completely change the gameplay of a modpack. it can make the game a whole lot easier, but it can also make it a whole lot harder.

so I was wondering if it'd be possible to create a mod that'd allow you to pick between several configuration options of the modpack.
there'd be a directory in the modpack folder that contain several directories, with each directory having different configuration files for mods.

when you start the game, you're able to choose what configuration option you want to use, after making your choice you'd obviously need to reloaded minecraft to apply the changes.
after relaunching you'd be able to play the modpack with the configuration option you chose.
you could be possible to change the configuration options, but you'd have to get a warning message when you try to load a world that's already been played with a different configuration option.

an example for this mod could be a modpack with HQM, some people like the mod, the others not so much.
you could have 2 configuration options, one which features HQM with quests and could remove some recipes and would let you complete quests to obtain these items, while the other configuration option disables HQM and keeps the recipes. with a mod like this a modpack could be played all kinds of ways, and you could even create your own configuration options and share them with others.

though I think the big problem with a mod like this would be that you'd need to edit every single mod, even forge, in the modpack to force them to use a different directory folder, and I've a feeling that that'd probably be impossible to do unless you do alot of hacky things to all the mods
I can feel the coremodding now...

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I know that, I talking about recipes themselves. Like in my example, you can make a Heavy Duty Plate in a implosion compressor (my recipe), or in a ingot compressor. (machine removed) I wanted to make that "Ingot Compressor" recipes not even show up when you click something to see how to make it.
Like I said Minetweaker doesn't support recipe removing for Galacticraft. Unless you are talking about just hiding the recipe (which is also unsupported).

Kyle98750

Sep 16, 2013
Like I said Minetweaker doesn't support recipe removing for Galacticraft. Unless you are talking about just hiding the recipe (which is also unsupported).

I'm again aware of that, if it was possible with Minetweaker then I wouldn't be posting in the "Suggest Mods" thread. I posted it as a suggestion.

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
I would like a mod for server/modpack creators witch you can add to your game
if you havr minetweaker installed and it will give you a creative spawn only item that can only be opened by oped players in creative that basically auto writes the minetweaker code for what you want to do but has an interface and user compatability of the hqm edit mode because I'm tired of not being able to use minetweaker "I'm puting in the corect code but it's not doing anything"