Request Suggest mods for creation here

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Let mobs spawn wherever there is flat ground.

Including slabs.
Including blocks with no collision box (flowers, wheat, signs, torches, etc).

Not sure about things like stairs, ice, pumpkins, TNT, etc.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
in my current singleplayer DW20 world it seems that snow/ice biomes rarely spawn, and when they do, they're very tiny.
which is kind of frustrating as I want to catch a blizz so I can autospawn/kill it for it's rods.
I know TE adds a recipe for cryotheum, but me being me that's ofcourse not enough.

I could travel around the world some more, but the chance of actually finding a snow/ice biome is pretty small, as I've already explored quite alot.
my alternative is mystcraft, which I didn't really want to use because it can quickly become very OP, but is also very RNG, but I haven't played with Mystcraft for a few versions so I still went ahead and tried.

you can already guess by me making this post that my experience with mystcraft didn't end up so good.
even with a creative notebook I still couldn't get a good age going, and if I had a proper stable age I still couldn't get it the way that I wanted it.
I've created about 8 ages in my creative world and I still couldn't get it right, even though I had all modifiers available.

now I could bash on mystcraft, but that'd be unfair because we all know it's still a WIP by xcompwiz and he's been busy with his personal life, so that had me thinking of perhaps an addon to mystcraft that would make the mod a bit more useable. but mystcraft is based on the myst series, which I personally never read so I don't really know what it's about, but mystcraft is meant to be based on that series, so having an addon to change the mechanics of mystcraft might make the mod completely unrelated to the myst series.

but what else could be done? so I started thinking of perhaps a whole new kind of dimension mod which allows you to configure your dimensions beforehand exactly how you want so you don't end up creating a dozen ages before getting it right. but this could quickly become very unbalanced if there's not some sort of progression, as everyone would just go ahead and create the perfect age and never leave the age again.

so after some more thinking I came up with a rough sketch of how this mod should be.
with a little backstory, you wake up in the overworld (you start out in a new world) and by adventuring you've found hints of other dimensions besides the overworld. through research you've found ways to travel to these other dimensions. by having gone to these other dimensions you've found out about an ancient entity who's created all these dimensions. this "creator" was the one who created everything and anything, but he was not able to create the perfect dimension. because of this he's created some dimensions that are not exactly "stable" and the closest he's gotten to the perfect age is the "overworld". but like any other living creature this creator eventually died and left behind his work. he knew that the dimensions he created weren't perfect, but they were still his work, his "children" and he knew that if he died, these dimensions would collapse and disappear along with him. so he created lords for every dimension, these lords would rule that dimension and keep it alive. the lord of the overworld are the humans, the lord of the nether is the wither and the lord of the end is the ender dragon.

you've learned all about this through ancient artifacts and reliquaries and you believe you might have a bit of the same power as the creator, as you've been able to travel to these other dimensions. by studying and learning more you've started to practice in this kind of magic. you start out rough and your powers aren't great, but through hard work and dedication you might be able to become as good as the creator, maybe even better.

with the story explained I'll now move onto the rest of the mod. like I previously mentioned, with this mod you'll be able to create a dimension exactly how you want it, but there's more to the mod then just that. when you start out you're only able to create a small dimension with not much options. each dimension that you create has a dungeon with a lord on the top (or bottom). you first need to defeat this lord and become the new lord of the dimension before you're able to properly use the dimension.

every player also has a card deck. you can gather cards by defeating lords or by very rarely finding them in dungeon chests or villager trades. what you actually find are starter packs that you can open. these starter packs contain cards that you can place in your card deck, each card gives a different effect. you may also find some other goodies like dimension modifiers or items. most dimension modifiers can be unlocked by progressing through the mod, but finding them in card packs unlocks them a bit earlier.

everyone can only have a few dimensions at a time, if you want more you need to delete one of your current dimensions. the dimensions are also not infinite in terrain, they're finite but you're able to level up the sizes of your dimensions. the lords of each dimension are all unique in their powers and strength, and they're created based on the modifiers you used for your dimension. so if you really want a very good age, be prepared to fight for it.
by defeating lords you're able to level yourself and your card deck and you'll be able to find more cards. cards can have all kinds of effects such as speed, strength, regeneration, jump, fire resistance, water resistance, flight, vision, ghosting (being able to move through blocks) and so on and on. but all cards start out at level 1 with limited power and need to be leveled up. now you think what the use of these cards would be if you can just use other mods in a dimension, 1 hit kill the lord and you're done, well, that would be another part of this mod.

when you first enter a new dimension you actually can't take your items with you, as you're not the lord of that dimension. now this doesn't mean you need to start completely over, chop wood and mine cobble and so on. there's actually cards that'll help you with this. these cards are not normal cards but are bonus cards, and when used they'll give you extras when you enter a new dimension, perhaps with a cooldown so you can use it more then once in a dimension. these cards can also be leveld up like the other cards, and as you level up yourself you'll also gain more slots for your cards. a few items you can also bring are some items you may find in starter packs which will help you with defeating the lord. and ofcourse the cards in your card deck will also help you in defeating the lords. when you've defeated the lord, you've become the new lord of that age and you can now freely move around the dimension and take your "powers" (your items and such) with you. all your items you used before go back into your cards for when you go to a new dimension.

each dimension does have a limit to how much you can customize it, perhaps having modifier points for each dimension depending on your level, and each modifier could cost some modifier points. by leveling up you'll unlock more modifiers that you can use for dimensions, you'll gain more modifier points and basically you'll be able to create the dimension you want

the mod can be also used on multiplayer, with perhaps the option of teaming up when doing a lord fight, being able to share dimensions or have a whitelist for dimensions, and the option of creating dimensions as an admin with more power, being able to create infinite worlds and such. it could perhaps also be used for map makers where they'd be able to give dimensions certain effects when entering or have custom structures and lords spawning in dimensions.

I tried explaining it as best as I could, I have all the ideas in my head but I'm not really good at properly summarizing it into a bit of text that's easy to understand for everyone xD

Reactions: ljfa

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
...I haven't played with Mystcraft for a few versions so I still went ahead and tried.

you can already guess by me making this post that my experience with mystcraft didn't end up so good.
even with a creative notebook I still couldn't get a good age going, and if I had a proper stable age I still couldn't get it the way that I wanted it.
I've created about 8 ages in my creative world and I still couldn't get it right, even though I had all modifiers available.

now I could bash on mystcraft, but that'd be unfair because we all know it's still a WIP by xcompwiz and he's been busy with his personal life, ...

First, the portions of world creation that you are running into are very stable.
Second, what are you using as guides for world creation?
Third, without telling us what you did, and providing the agedata files, we can't tell what actually happened.

Writing: http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:writing
Stable ages: http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:writing#stable_and_controlled_ages
Symbol summary, graphic form: http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:symbols_summary
Overworld clone template: http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:overworld-clones

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
An item you can right click onto a mob that makes them unable to respawn (I know nametags can do this but I'd rather not have to see those names through the wall and this is a nice alternative).

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
1."Foresight" This would be a researchable feature for an addon for Thaumcraft that would make all things you have not discovered yet (completely invisible) appear as a very transparent locked version of itself; It has nothing changed about it but you can see what you haven't unlocked yet, This would however make the Eldritch tab appear but it would not grant access to that research just like the others wouldnt.

2.A % bar for all research researched on the Thaumonomicon GUI.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
in my current singleplayer DW20 world it seems that snow/ice biomes rarely spawn, and when they do, they're very tiny.
which is kind of frustrating as I want to catch a blizz so I can autospawn/kill it for it's rods.
I know TE adds a recipe for cryotheum, but me being me that's ofcourse not enough.

I could travel around the world some more, but the chance of actually finding a snow/ice biome is pretty small, as I've already explored quite alot.
my alternative is mystcraft, which I didn't really want to use because it can quickly become very OP, but is also very RNG, but I haven't played with Mystcraft for a few versions so I still went ahead and tried.

now I could bash on mystcraft, but that'd be unfair because we all know it's still a WIP by xcompwiz and he's been busy with his personal life, so that had me thinking of perhaps an addon to mystcraft that would make the mod a bit more useable. but mystcraft is based on the myst series, which I personally never read so I don't really know what it's about, but mystcraft is meant to be based on that series, so having an addon to change the mechanics of mystcraft might make the mod completely unrelated to the myst series.

but what else could be done? so I started thinking of perhaps a whole new kind of dimension mod which allows you to configure your dimensions beforehand exactly how you want so you don't end up creating a dozen ages before getting it right. but this could quickly become very unbalanced if there's not some sort of progression, as everyone would just go ahead and create the perfect age and never leave the age again.

so after some more thinking I came up with a rough sketch of how this mod should be.
with a little backstory, you wake up in the overworld (you start out in a new world) and by adventuring you've found hints of other dimensions besides the overworld. through research you've found ways to travel to these other dimensions. by having gone to these other dimensions you've found out about an ancient entity who's created all these dimensions. this "creator" was the one who created everything and anything, but he was not able to create the perfect dimension. because of this he's created some dimensions that are not exactly "stable" and the closest he's gotten to the perfect age is the "overworld". but like any other living creature this creator eventually died and left behind his work. he knew that the dimensions he created weren't perfect, but they were still his work, his "children" and he knew that if he died, these dimensions would collapse and disappear along with him. so he created lords for every dimension, these lords would rule that dimension and keep it alive. the lord of the overworld are the humans, the lord of the nether is the wither and the lord of the end is the ender dragon.

you've learned all about this through ancient artifacts and reliquaries and you believe you might have a bit of the same power as the creator, as you've been able to travel to these other dimensions. by studying and learning more you've started to practice in this kind of magic. you start out rough and your powers aren't great, but through hard work and dedication you might be able to become as good as the creator, maybe even better.

with the story explained I'll now move onto the rest of the mod. like I previously mentioned, with this mod you'll be able to create a dimension exactly how you want it, but there's more to the mod then just that. when you start out you're only able to create a small dimension with not much options. each dimension that you create has a dungeon with a lord on the top (or bottom). you first need to defeat this lord and become the new lord of the dimension before you're able to properly use the dimension.

every player also has a card deck. you can gather cards by defeating lords or by very rarely finding them in dungeon chests or villager trades. what you actually find are starter packs that you can open. these starter packs contain cards that you can place in your card deck, each card gives a different effect. you may also find some other goodies like dimension modifiers or items. most dimension modifiers can be unlocked by progressing through the mod, but finding them in card packs unlocks them a bit earlier.

everyone can only have a few dimensions at a time, if you want more you need to delete one of your current dimensions. the dimensions are also not infinite in terrain, they're finite but you're able to level up the sizes of your dimensions. the lords of each dimension are all unique in their powers and strength, and they're created based on the modifiers you used for your dimension. so if you really want a very good age, be prepared to fight for it.
by defeating lords you're able to level yourself and your card deck and you'll be able to find more cards. cards can have all kinds of effects such as speed, strength, regeneration, jump, fire resistance, water resistance, flight, vision, ghosting (being able to move through blocks) and so on and on. but all cards start out at level 1 with limited power and need to be leveled up. now you think what the use of these cards would be if you can just use other mods in a dimension, 1 hit kill the lord and you're done, well, that would be another part of this mod.

when you first enter a new dimension you actually can't take your items with you, as you're not the lord of that dimension. now this doesn't mean you need to start completely over, chop wood and mine cobble and so on. there's actually cards that'll help you with this. these cards are not normal cards but are bonus cards, and when used they'll give you extras when you enter a new dimension, perhaps with a cooldown so you can use it more then once in a dimension. these cards can also be leveld up like the other cards, and as you level up yourself you'll also gain more slots for your cards. a few items you can also bring are some items you may find in starter packs which will help you with defeating the lord. and ofcourse the cards in your card deck will also help you in defeating the lords. when you've defeated the lord, you've become the new lord of that age and you can now freely move around the dimension and take your "powers" (your items and such) with you. all your items you used before go back into your cards for when you go to a new dimension.

each dimension does have a limit to how much you can customize it, perhaps having modifier points for each dimension depending on your level, and each modifier could cost some modifier points. by leveling up you'll unlock more modifiers that you can use for dimensions, you'll gain more modifier points and basically you'll be able to create the dimension you want

the mod can be also used on multiplayer, with perhaps the option of teaming up when doing a lord fight, being able to share dimensions or have a whitelist for dimensions, and the option of creating dimensions as an admin with more power, being able to create infinite worlds and such. it could perhaps also be used for map makers where they'd be able to give dimensions certain effects when entering or have custom structures and lords spawning in dimensions.

I tried explaining it as best as I could, I have all the ideas in my head but I'm not really good at properly summarizing it into a bit of text that's easy to understand for everyone xD
RFTools can do some of that, at least the part where creating the dimensions can be made less random than in Mystcraft. You can even craft a few of the "pages" (McJty calls them "dimlets"), but those are mostly the ones for removing random features entirely (i.e. no caves/ravines, no villages/mineshafts/strongholds, no tendrils/fins/whatever, no weird blocks making up the terrain (resulting in stone with dirt on top), and the Void Terrain dimlet), and once you explore enough, you'll be able to craft a few more pages using Dimensional Shards, including the Flat Terrain dimlet. Getting the biome you want, however, will be a little more difficult, since those dimlets aren't craftable. However, the mod also adds these "dimensional dungeons" to its dimensions that have some random dimlets, Endermen drop Unknown Dimlets that can be turned into random dimlets, and you can also recycle dimlets you don't like to get new ones.

The biggest downside to all that (as compared to Mystcraft) is that there's currently no way to copy dimlets. If you want to have two separate Tundra Biome dimensions, for instance, you'll need to track down two separate Tundra Biome dimlets. There's no material cost in creating a dimension that you don't like, though- you can deconstruct the item that lets you power a dimension in exchange for all the dimlets you used to create it. This won't actually destroy the dimension, but it will run out of power, preventing you from being able to do anything there in Survival mode.

There's also no instability, but (as I've mentioned in passing) the dimensions do drain RF power, and quite a lot of it for dimensions with very valuable features, such as diamond block tendrils, UUM oceans, or no hostile mob spawning. Completely random dimensions, or dimensions where you just specify a biome or something, are pretty cheap, though.

Reactions: Yusunoha and McJty

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
RFTools can do some of that, at least the part where creating the dimensions can be made less random than in Mystcraft. You can even craft a few of the "pages" (McJty calls them "dimlets"), but those are mostly the ones for removing random features entirely (i.e. no caves/ravines, no villages/mineshafts/strongholds, no tendrils/fins/whatever, no weird blocks making up the terrain (resulting in stone with dirt on top), and the Void Terrain dimlet), and once you explore enough, you'll be able to craft a few more pages using Dimensional Shards, including the Flat Terrain dimlet. Getting the biome you want, however, will be a little more difficult, since those dimlets aren't craftable. However, the mod also adds these "dimensional dungeons" to its dimensions that have some random dimlets, Endermen drop Unknown Dimlets that can be turned into random dimlets, and you can also recycle dimlets you don't like to get new ones.

The biggest downside to all that (as compared to Mystcraft) is that there's currently no way to copy dimlets. If you want to have two separate Tundra Biome dimensions, for instance, you'll need to track down two separate Tundra Biome dimlets. There's no material cost in creating a dimension that you don't like, though- you can deconstruct the item that lets you power a dimension in exchange for all the dimlets you used to create it. This won't actually destroy the dimension, but it will run out of power, preventing you from being able to do anything there in Survival mode.

There's also no instability, but (as I've mentioned in passing) the dimensions do drain RF power, and quite a lot of it for dimensions with very valuable features, such as diamond block tendrils, UUM oceans, or no hostile mob spawning. Completely random dimensions, or dimensions where you just specify a biome or something, are pretty cheap, though.

A way to copy dimlets is in planning although it will not be just a straight copy. More like deconstructing dimlets you no longer need and make new dimlets out of the parts you get from that.

Reactions: Yusunoha

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

I already know about RFTools, though I was thinking more of a dimension mod like mystcraft combined with an adventure mod like Twilight Forest

shinyarceus4

Jul 29, 2019
An addon for Funky Locomotion that allows you to camouflage frames into other blocks, or even make them invisible. That would be a godsend, and would help out with quite a few build ideas I have.

Reactions: 1SDAN

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I know this one exists, but I cannot find it.
A mod to let me send IMC messages at startup when one mod expect other mods to message it, but they don't.

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I think that Tinker's Construct should add a few new mobs that carry Tinker's weapons to make things a bit more balanced. The mobs will be varients of the normal zombies and skeletons that carry more powerful Tinker's melee and ranged weapons called zombie/skeleton warriors and archers respectively. There could also be zombies and skeletons that ride zombie and skeleton horses respectively called zombie/skeleton riders. Finally, in the nether, there could also be wither skeleton warriors that wield Tinker's weapons that burn, wither, and poison.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I think that Tinker's Construct should add a few new mobs that carry Tinker's weapons to make things a bit more balanced. The mobs will be varients of the normal zombies and skeletons that carry more powerful Tinker's melee and ranged weapons called zombie/skeleton warriors and archers respectively. There could also be zombies and skeletons that ride zombie and skeleton horses respectively called zombie/skeleton riders. Finally, in the nether, there could also be wither skeleton warriors that wield Tinker's weapons that burn, wither, and poison.
Maybe some Ogres with Cleavers and Pans or some Trolls with Daggers or Scimitars

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Lighting from lava depending on the amount of lava.
So, a full block gives 15, a half block gives 7, and a sliver gives 1
In the overworld, a "stream" would go down by 4 light levels per block (2 levels of lava per block, 2 levels of light per level of lava), in the nether, by 2 light per block.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Lighting from lava depending on the amount of lava.
So, a full block gives 15, a half block gives 7, and a sliver gives 1
In the overworld, a "stream" would go down by 4 light levels per block (2 levels of lava per block, 2 levels of light per level of lava), in the nether, by 2 light per block.
You can kind of fake that with Destabilized Redstone and a line of TE glowstone lamps- the redstone liquid does basically what you suggest, but with redstone signals rather than light levels, and the lamps can be configured to output light equal to the strength of an incoming redstone signal.
Sounds doable, though. Although I think the Forge fluid dictionary has some kind of fixed "light level" parameter for fluids... which may or may not be a problem.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wondering... would it be possible to make a mod that'll control forge dictionairy of other mods?
for example let's say you've a modpack that has like 5 different types of copper, would it be possible to use a mod in which you configure what type of copper you want to use and it'll disable all the other coppers from the other mods?

I was thinking about this because the past few days I've seen some new mods which allow you to convert different type of blocks and items using the forge dictionairy, but what if there was a mod that would simply prevent the other types of the forge dictionairy, thus you not needing to convert your blocks and items.