Request Suggest mods for creation here

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
A fluid pipe mod that can be powered by water wheels or windmills, and is independent of tech mods and doesn't add any (or much) tech of it's own. Bonus points for a medieval or simplistic feel.

Reactions: 1SDAN and jdog1408

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
A fluid pipe mod that can be powered by water wheels or windmills, and is independent of tech mods and doesn't add any (or much) tech of it's own. Bonus points for a medieval or simplistic feel.
How about aqueducts? Like, ancient Roman aqueducts? Get some nice marble, build it up, and you've got a way to transport a fluid anywhere that also looks awesome!

Reactions: 1SDAN

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
How about aqueducts? Like, ancient Roman aqueducts? Get some nice marble, build it up, and you've got a way to transport a fluid anywhere that also looks awesome!

This, plus taps (like a Translocator for fluids but one way or TiCo Faucets) for easy access/filling of placed blocks OR held bottles/buckets would make for an interesting fluid transfer dynamic. If you wanted to make fluids go uphill you'd have to make a downhill flow so strong that the fluid would be forced uphill, like IRL aqueducts. So no pumps/magical pneumatic servos, you have to work with gravity to win the day.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
This, plus taps (like a Translocator for fluids but one way or TiCo Faucets) for easy access/filling of placed blocks OR held bottles/buckets would make for an interesting fluid transfer dynamic. If you wanted to make fluids go uphill you'd have to make a downhill flow so strong that the fluid would be forced uphill, like IRL aqueducts. So no pumps/magical pneumatic servos, you have to work with gravity to win the day.
finite liquids almost does that but it makes it spill out not go back up unless you cover them so you could use that

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
finite liquids almost does that but it makes it spill out not go back up unless you cover them so you could use that
I meant as a 'pumping' mechanic of sorts with the aqueduct blocks, and finite liquids isn't really updated to 1.7.10 yet...

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I meant as a 'pumping' mechanic of sorts with the aqueduct blocks, and finite liquids isn't really updated to 1.7.10 yet...
I'm thinking like rails use Redstone power to power up to 8 rails(I think) you can have pipes that a windmill or water wheel power x pipes, but as far as I can tell this thread is ignored

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
And what about adding like windmills, horse drawn, and water wheels for potential energy sources, water wheels being powered by flowing water from aqueducts and windmills and horse-drawn being ambient (Horse-drawn will stop for a while to let the horse catch it's breath, giving it food will speed up this cool down time). Energy is transferred in wooden shafts, and can power things like a block that speeds up minecarts (maybe powered rails need them), a millstone (A mechanical macerator?), a sawmill (bonus planks from wood logs!) a bellows (Bonus speed for furnaces or other heat-based machinery at the cost of fuel) or pumps that can move fluids through lead or ceramic pipes (Items are covered by hoppers)! Energy can only be transferred in straight lines, and gearbox blocks are needed to make power 'turn corners' to get to places. It's kinda like a tech mod for Minecraft without somehow going from medieval times to the future in 2 (in game) weeks!

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
alot of this is in Better Than Wolves, if it's 1.7.10(or even 1.6.4) I don't know it's an old mod but it added alot of old style tech like that but I think stuff like this would be awesome, I love tech mods but it is nice to have something matching mcs "Mediavel" theme

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
And what about adding like windmills, horse drawn, and water wheels for potential energy sources, water wheels being powered by flowing water from aqueducts and windmills and horse-drawn being ambient (Horse-drawn will stop for a while to let the horse catch it's breath, giving it food will speed up this cool down time). Energy is transferred in wooden shafts, and can power things like a block that speeds up minecarts (maybe powered rails need them), a millstone (A mechanical macerator?), a sawmill (bonus planks from wood logs!) a bellows (Bonus speed for furnaces or other heat-based machinery at the cost of fuel) or pumps that can move fluids through lead or ceramic pipes (Items are covered by hoppers)! Energy can only be transferred in straight lines, and gearbox blocks are needed to make power 'turn corners' to get to places. It's kinda like a tech mod for Minecraft without somehow going from medieval times to the future in 2 (in game) weeks!
Woah. Wall of text.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So...I came across something cool that might fit well here: MCreator. It says that its a tool to make mod creation easier, with less figuring out what code goes where and more getting shit done. I'm currently testing it myself and it looks good, it has a bit of a learning curve to it, but if its as good as it says it is, then it might open up mod creation to folks who would otherwise not engage in it because, let's be honest here, it can be a right pain in the arse, which can only be a good thing. Might make it easier to see these ideas come to life.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see a "smelt in place" mod. Turn sand into glass, cobble into smooth, etc.

I'd like to see a "dye in place" mod. Alter the color of dyeable things (wool, etc) by placing dye on it.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with MCreator is that it's very limited in what it can do, and the code is often low quality. Another problem is that people might chose to use MCreator instead of learning Java.
Perhaps, but if nothing else, its a good first step, both in learning various modding concepts, and in helping bring the idea of not just a modding library or API, but actual, proper modding tools to the Minecraft public mind. That, more than anything, has been my main point of contention with Minecraft modding, there just aren't many actual tools that help get the job done. There's plenty of tutorials in various formats, and while they're all well and good, a good set of general purpose tools would go a long way toward bringing modding closer to the surface in the Minecraft community, making it more accessible.

I see it as kind of a ModLoader deal: it may not be the best tool, but it could lead to better tools down the line. Also, no matter what ya might think, tools are always a good thing, so long as they're well-designed. Its why man built computers, why computer scientists built compilers and programming languages, and why Sun Microsystems made Java.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
So...I came across something cool that might fit well here: MCreator. It says that its a tool to make mod creation easier, with less figuring out what code goes where and more getting shit done. I'm currently testing it myself and it looks good, it has a bit of a learning curve to it, but if its as good as it says it is, then it might open up mod creation to folks who would otherwise not engage in it because, let's be honest here, it can be a right pain in the arse, which can only be a good thing. Might make it easier to see these ideas come to life.
1 Problem for me I am on mac and I have tried to use it before and just nope :'( Still don't understand how its worth paying 2-4x more for something that isn't compatible with tons of software.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see a "smelt in place" mod. Turn sand into glass, cobble into smooth, etc.

I'd like to see a "dye in place" mod. Alter the color of dyeable things (wool, etc) by placing dye on it.
I think that AM2, Thaumic Tinkerer, and possibly Botania add these features. Probably not what you're looking for, however.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Known about it, used it, it's OK.