Request Suggest mods for creation here

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm i have a basic idea for a mod. Though i'm not sure how much work it would be but basically it's a timed dimension...
You build a portal in which you are transported to a random location in the dimension, and have your exp decrease each tick. When your exp reaches 0 you are transported back to the overworld.

It's an interesting mechanic, but not actually a mod (You can even make it using command blocks- one to save you location, one to TP you in and start a clock, one to remove XP every time the clock hits, and one to check every clock tick for 0XP and TP you back).

The question is, what would you do with it? What sort of world is there, and why would you want to use up your (quadratically difficult to gain) XP to get there? A realm of dungeons, where every minute is another chance to get some loot? A rich mining age, allowing you to gather rare and strange ores while it lasts? A beautiful little paradise to escape to in a bad situation?

Reactions: 1SDAN

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
It's an interesting mechanic, but not actually a mod (You can even make it using command blocks- one to save you location, one to TP you in and start a clock, one to remove XP every time the clock hits, and one to check every clock tick for 0XP and TP you back).

The question is, what would you do with it? What sort of world is there, and why would you want to use up your (quadratically difficult to gain) XP to get there? A realm of dungeons, where every minute is another chance to get some loot? A rich mining age, allowing you to gather rare and strange ores while it lasts? A beautiful little paradise to escape to in a bad situation?
Or perhaps another dimension opposing the nether...... but since you haven't "earned" your way in you are constantly pursued by it's winged defenders. Item X is only able to maintain the breach of the plane temporarily. build it as something of a questing mod where you are trying to get OP item X, or perhaps add ore that can only be found in that dimension.[DOUBLEPOST=1411754540][/DOUBLEPOST]If added to a mod that has demon like creatures perhaps you could be on a mission for something to trade with them.

I'm imagining the Divine commedy in MC form...... though you'd likely have to tip toe around some religious issues.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, being drug into a random spot in the nether, and held there until you can travel to this new dimension and defeat a white winged boss named Petrus so that you can take his keys and return them to your captor in the nether.

That may go a little too far........

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Your "popularity" drops to a certain point in a testificate village..... next thing you know you wake up inside a witchery circle of imprisionment. surrounding the circle is a coven of witches with testificates standing as audience. Your gear is gone, but you note that there is a chest just outside the circle.

The testificates summon Death who proceeds to slaughter you.

You awake in a nether keep. and then the adventure really begins..... is it possible to set a players spawn point to the nether?

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Idea: Stack item.
An item that functions as an expanded inventory slot in a stack type data, crafted from 4 iron bars and 4 iron pressure plates and has an empty framing texture (small 3 pixel Ls at the corners)

"Stack item" is a stack of item stacks (Example of what a Stack may contain: 4 stacks of cobblestone; 45 dirt, a sword, 16 enderpearls, 3 enderpearls; a potion of strength, a potion of regen, a potion of healing, a potion of healing)
Stack size 4 by default
Can only be move around when is empty
Top item shown and used (as if held normally only with a small frame texture).
Push items by dragging in (or top item types being collected in-world while there's space) (can not be done when Stack is full)
Pop items by dragging out (or top item being used or broken in-world)

(In a sense, a regular inventory slot functions as a Stack with the size of 1, while a slot with a Stack acts like it has 3 additional slots below it)

Ancient, long extinct civilizations once crafted Stacks, possibly of greater sizes than today. Wild rumors speak of Stacks with a size of 5, 8, and even 16!

It's a great way to use items in an organized way, a useful way to hold more items (considering tin strongboxes has more slots and allow you to take items in any order), a good dungeon reward which is not revolutionary but unique and useful, and ultimately a neat mechanic to get messed about when you will try to organize your 7 Stacks by popping, emptying, and pushing items into and from the normal inventory slots, so you don't want to fill All your slots with Stacks.

Maybe also add a limit to how many can be carried without some slowing effect.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Mod I'd like to see: A food overhaul. I do *not* mean hunger overhaul.

The inspiration: Mushroom stew.

First: If you do not understand the saturation/exhaustion mechanics, this will make no sense. Read the minecraft wiki.

The first problem: Steak is better than the wheat used to make it. In general, working to make a higher-tier food makes a better food. That works fine for a game, when the game's rule is "Food does not stack". That's the old, alpha and early beta days. Vechs has a training map, and he teaches mushroom stew, because the ingredients stack; while you can't assemble it and eat in combat, you can heal yourself between combats.

Key observations: Inventory space. Food tier. Difficulty of making said food.
Key data point: Cake. Can be placed down on the ground when combat is detected; can be eaten while in combat. No other food can be eaten in combat like that.

===

Mushroom stew, before its nerf, was hands-down the best food in the game. It restored as much food as steak/porkchop, and you could fill your saturation bar easily enough. Additionally, you can take the raw materials with you, and grow more while you are underground; you can't take more steak with you.

The tradeoff, for that food, was the inventory space; a stack of non-renewable steak took one inventory slot; mushroom stew took a minimum of two, and that's assuming you did not keep the bowls. If you kept the bowls, then it's three stacks; otherwise, you are constantly having to use your wood supply (you do take a stack of logs when you leave base, right? It's a cheap enough, often used supply of materials while exploring.)

Despite the increased cost -- and in vanilla, 1-2 extra inventory slots is a cost -- this was the most desirable food for extended expeditions. For modded, with extra inventory space, even that wasn't a cost. So stew got nerfed down to the level of fish -- but a stack of fish takes less space, and fish is already renewable while on an extended trip.

So mushroom stew went from great to bad.
Steak or fish is better.

Why is steak better? In real life, people complain: The food value of what you feed to a cow is higher than the food value you get from a cow.

So why not have a hunger system like that? Given 6 wheat, and either breeding two cows, or cooking 3 wheat twice, why not make the wheat provide more food than the cows, but let a stack of cow meat be more than a stack of bread?

===

In this system, eating the "raw pieces" of food would provide more total food value. The "cooked" food would provide less food value than the parts did, *but more saturation*.

A food item that is a combination of both carbohydrates and protein -- milk directly; fruit + steak for a meal, or bread + steak for a sandwhich -- would provide high saturation; food that is not a combination (and this would include all or almost all uncrafted items) would provide lower saturations. This mimics real life -- although the whole "speed of carbohydrate" issue that affects 75% of people can be either (a) Eliminated by saying Steve is one of the genetically lucky 25%, or (b) Coded in, so it can be used as a teaching tool.

Now, turning three wheat into, after a furnace for cooking, three bread, will give you "wheat gives more food than a cow does" (good), and "a stack of steak is better than a stack of bread" (good), and with re-adjustment, can also give you "Steak sandwich is better still", or "Steak plus fruit meals is the clear winner". (And yes, chicken or fish instead of steak is a perfectly good food option as well.)

In other words, change the food values from "This is a game; harder food items are more valuable" to "This mimics reality; processed foods are not as good as the raw foods, but you can store more of them".

Kubius

Jul 29, 2019
A relatively simple mod I thought of while chatting on the IRC - A piston that also provides repeater functionality perpendicular to the way it extends, E.G.:

/ \
[Piston]==]
/ \
[Piston]==]
/ \

This would allow for really straightforward construction of piston-based contraptions.

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
Mod I'd like to see: A food overhaul. I do *not* mean hunger overhaul.

The inspiration: Mushroom stew.

First: If you do not understand the saturation/exhaustion mechanics, this will make no sense. Read the minecraft wiki.

The first problem: Steak is better than the wheat used to make it. In general, working to make a higher-tier food makes a better food. That works fine for a game, when the game's rule is "Food does not stack". That's the old, alpha and early beta days. Vechs has a training map, and he teaches mushroom stew, because the ingredients stack; while you can't assemble it and eat in combat, you can heal yourself between combats.

Key observations: Inventory space. Food tier. Difficulty of making said food.
Key data point: Cake. Can be placed down on the ground when combat is detected; can be eaten while in combat. No other food can be eaten in combat like that.

===

Mushroom stew, before its nerf, was hands-down the best food in the game. It restored as much food as steak/porkchop, and you could fill your saturation bar easily enough. Additionally, you can take the raw materials with you, and grow more while you are underground; you can't take more steak with you.

The tradeoff, for that food, was the inventory space; a stack of non-renewable steak took one inventory slot; mushroom stew took a minimum of two, and that's assuming you did not keep the bowls. If you kept the bowls, then it's three stacks; otherwise, you are constantly having to use your wood supply (you do take a stack of logs when you leave base, right? It's a cheap enough, often used supply of materials while exploring.)

Despite the increased cost -- and in vanilla, 1-2 extra inventory slots is a cost -- this was the most desirable food for extended expeditions. For modded, with extra inventory space, even that wasn't a cost. So stew got nerfed down to the level of fish -- but a stack of fish takes less space, and fish is already renewable while on an extended trip.

So mushroom stew went from great to bad.
Steak or fish is better.

Why is steak better? In real life, people complain: The food value of what you feed to a cow is higher than the food value you get from a cow.

So why not have a hunger system like that? Given 6 wheat, and either breeding two cows, or cooking 3 wheat twice, why not make the wheat provide more food than the cows, but let a stack of cow meat be more than a stack of bread?

===

In this system, eating the "raw pieces" of food would provide more total food value. The "cooked" food would provide less food value than the parts did, *but more saturation*.

A food item that is a combination of both carbohydrates and protein -- milk directly; fruit + steak for a meal, or bread + steak for a sandwhich -- would provide high saturation; food that is not a combination (and this would include all or almost all uncrafted items) would provide lower saturations. This mimics real life -- although the whole "speed of carbohydrate" issue that affects 75% of people can be either (a) Eliminated by saying Steve is one of the genetically lucky 25%, or (b) Coded in, so it can be used as a teaching tool.

Now, turning three wheat into, after a furnace for cooking, three bread, will give you "wheat gives more food than a cow does" (good), and "a stack of steak is better than a stack of bread" (good), and with re-adjustment, can also give you "Steak sandwich is better still", or "Steak plus fruit meals is the clear winner". (And yes, chicken or fish instead of steak is a perfectly good food option as well.)

In other words, change the food values from "This is a game; harder food items are more valuable" to "This mimics reality; processed foods are not as good as the raw foods, but you can store more of them".
Those are words

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
A MineTweaker-like mod or addon to allow the customization of stack sizes, I'm tired of being limited to stack customization of general item types (I currently am only able to add a general stack size for food, blocks and items but no specific sizes for specific items. This annoys me because it means something I can hold just as many Dirt blocks as I can Diamond Ore blocks, and that's imbalanced for a variety of reasons)

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
A MineTweaker-like mod or addon to allow the customization of stack sizes, I'm tired of being limited to stack customization of general item types (I currently am only able to add a general stack size for food, blocks and items but no specific sizes for specific items. This annoys me because it means something I can hold just as many Dirt blocks as I can Diamond Ore blocks, and that's imbalanced for a variety of reasons)

This so much this.... Mostly cause 64 for me is an odd number so I would make say enderpearls 15 and normal stacks 50

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
This so much this.... Mostly cause 64 for me is an odd number so I would make say enderpearls 15 and normal stacks 50

I'd make ores unable to stack and make ingots heavier in Iguana's Tweaks and only stack to 4. I'd also make Gravel Blocks heavier in IgTw but Flint only stack to 2. And then I'd make it so that Foods not only have Hunger, Saturation, Cost, Bonus Effects and to a lesser extent weight as influencing values but also stack sizes. There could be foods that barely heal any hunger but stack a lot, and then foods that barely heal any hunger and only stack to 2 but gives you 5 seconds of regen. Or other things like that!

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I'd make ores unable to stack and make ingots heavier in Iguana's Tweaks and only stack to 4. I'd also make Gravel Blocks heavier in IgTw but Flint only stack to 2. And then I'd make it so that Foods not only have Hunger, Saturation, Cost, Bonus Effects and to a lesser extent weight as influencing values but also stack sizes. There could be foods that barely heal any hunger but stack a lot, and then foods that barely heal any hunger and only stack to 2 but gives you 5 seconds of regen. Or other things like that!

Hmmm I like it.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I just noticed there aren't any mods for removing features from F3 like co-ordinates or other "cheaty" features. F3 OP pls fix!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
And then I'd make it so that Foods not only have Hunger, Saturation, Cost, Bonus Effects and to a lesser extent weight as influencing values but also stack sizes. There could be foods that barely heal any hunger but stack a lot, and then foods that barely heal any hunger and only stack to 2 but gives you 5 seconds of regen. Or other things like that!

Hey, did you see my request for a food overhaul mod? Being able to say that raw foods have a low stack limit, while "processed" foods stack more but give less food value, is step one to balance food/hunger.

EDIT: Lets not forget: Raw porkchops, or raw steak, should have the potential to give you sickness just like raw chicken. (Raw fish, oddly, was considered safe for navy personnel to eat when they could not cook food (stranded at sea))

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, did you see my request for a food overhaul mod? Being able to say that raw foods have a low stack limit, while "processed" foods stack more but give less food value, is step one to balance food/hunger.

EDIT: Lets not forget: Raw porkchops, or raw steak, should have the potential to give you sickness just like raw chicken. (Raw fish, oddly, was considered safe for navy personnel to eat when they could not cook food (stranded at sea))

I did see it actually, but I believe we should rather gain the tools necessary to make that mod and then make it using those tools instead of just making it as a mod, that way people without coding skills can customize it to their liking.

As for Raw foods, I would just rather remove the sickness from raw chicken as back in the stone age, ancient human's appendixes would remove the poisoning. Plus I hate the idea of getting poisoned from a source of food that is believably viable.

Mist13

Jul 29, 2019
Not really a new mod idea, nor I do know if someone has already discussed this, but there are some things for HQM that need to be added upon:
-A block that counts mobs in an area (even the hqm block sure just add that functionality)
-The ability to read specific metadata, even in the book itself(count how many lifes a person has), and then relay this into a redstone signal or some other form of output
-a slow, passive life gaining system (heart plants or something of the sort)
-book binding, attaching upgrades to the book that physically upgrade the user (+X% mining speed)

I believe these would all add to the functionality of HQM on the premise that HQM's goal is to be used by mod pack makers/mod creators to encourage new modes of gameplay.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
Hmmm I like it.

Pc do you have multiple personalities? 1 able to comprehend balance and the other 1 unable to grasp the concept of infinite power equal to a IC2 nuclear reactor from water being a bad thing....[DOUBLEPOST=1411956777][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway I would like to see a TE version of gregtech

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Pc do you have multiple personalities? 1 able to comprehend balance and the other 1 unable to grasp the concept of infinite power equal to a IC2 nuclear reactor from water being a bad thing....[DOUBLEPOST=1411956777][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway I would like to see a TE version of gregtech

It depends on the the time of day.. my doctor says its something called triggers but I think that's just a bunch of no good bs. Anyway how you been?

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on the the time of day.. my doctor says its something called triggers but I think that's just a bunch of no good bs. Anyway how you been?

Are you being serious? If you are then I apologise.