Request Suggest mods for creation here

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see a mod that creates a story for the Player. Like, with Mod support. A Different story for both Vanilla and Mods, possibly with the option to select between the two. Let's be honest here, Minecraft on it's own is basically just a sandbox, no rules to follow, no right from wrong, everything's your decision. But to me, I hate games like that really, given that Monster is an exception for me for unexplainable reasons, I just really enjoy it. But as said prior in an earlier post, I really like games to have a purpose. Don't get me wrong, I know well and truly there is an ending to Minecraft, but after that, the story continues as if you've not even slain the queen of the Endermen (Ender Dragon.) I'd like to see a mod that creates a story for the Player. Sort of like role play if you will, but nothing randomly generated, a story for all and equal to everyone. What this story would be would be totally up to the Mod developer who may or may not take this into consideration but I just really want something that brings a real true purpose to Vanilla and Modded.

Also, I'm aware of the Quest book in Agrarian skies. That's not what I'm getting at here if that was your first assumption.

(Edit: Should mention I haven't done any research on this, so if there's something similar to this, please let me know.)

Ahem you might want to start keeping an eye on the http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/whats-new-in-modded-minecraft-today.39595/ thread.
As this was mentioned a few pages back.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2719118-lore-expansion-coming-soon-to-172/

It allows pack makers to add stories to there packs.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
That's not really what I had in mind but thank you for showing me that link! :)

I know but that is a new mod and I expect people to use it. So all you really need to do is wait and someone will use it to make what you want. Or ya know do it your self. :p

You might even want to work up a basic outline of what you want to see and start a thread looking for advice and suggestions.

Who knows you might even get it into a pack.
If you do be sure to name some evil character after me. :D

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Hokay, so I've been thinking on how nanite clusters you can place down in the world would operate as well as how to balance them out in ways other than them being Gregishly expensive. Since pretty much every nanite supercluster (might think up a better name later, this is just a placeholder) will require, at minimum, a tier 2 computational cluster, the Distributed Computational Cluster, perhaps you could, when deciding what they do, introduce various "personalities" into them, divided into the positive "patches" and the negative "kludges."

Like with Steve's Carts, assembling the nanite supercluster is also a time-based activity, and one that will require a HUGE amount of power. You can select what kind of function you want the supercluster to perform (or multiple, if you give them a special upgrade), and the GUI will spit out a time requirement based on how much RF/t its receiving on average. Patches will do things like improve their reaction time, increase damage, improved perceptual range, target designation, and other such positive attributes, all with their own material cost as well as adding to the amount of time (and energy) it'll take to finish assembling and programming the supercluster. Inversely, kludges could easily be the result of lazy design: xenophobia, slower reactions, less efficient operation, and so on. Kludges cost nothing, and also decrease the amount of time and RF required to complete a supercluster. However, too many kludges, and your supercluster will end up lazy, inefficient, and temperamental, perhaps even prone to failure.

(NOTE: Even xenophobic superclusters won't attack their creator. They may be stupid, but not that stupid.)

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
Hokay, so I've been thinking on how nanite clusters you can place down in the world would operate as well as how to balance them out in ways other than them being Gregishly expensive. Since pretty much every nanite supercluster (might think up a better name later, this is just a placeholder) will require, at minimum, a tier 2 computational cluster, the Distributed Computational Cluster, perhaps you could, when deciding what they do, introduce various "personalities" into them, divided into the positive "patches" and the negative "kludges."

Like with Steve's Carts, assembling the nanite supercluster is also a time-based activity, and one that will require a HUGE amount of power. You can select what kind of function you want the supercluster to perform (or multiple, if you give them a special upgrade), and the GUI will spit out a time requirement based on how much RF/t its receiving on average. Patches will do things like improve their reaction time, increase damage, improved perceptual range, target designation, and other such positive attributes, all with their own material cost as well as adding to the amount of time (and energy) it'll take to finish assembling and programming the supercluster. Inversely, kludges could easily be the result of lazy design: xenophobia, slower reactions, less efficient operation, and so on. Kludges cost nothing, and also decrease the amount of time and RF required to complete a supercluster. However, too many kludges, and your supercluster will end up lazy, inefficient, and temperamental, perhaps even prone to failure.

(NOTE: Even xenophobic superclusters won't attack their creator. They may be stupid, but not that stupid.)

I am wondering what kind of machine(s) the player will use to craft the computational clusters and the nanite superclusters? Will they be standard machine blocks or multiblocks? I am also wondering if the machine(s) can also use upgrades just like the Steve's Carts cart assembler and if it can have animated graphics to indicate if it/they are running and assembling your nanite clusters? One of the problems I had with Steve's Carts was that I had no idea if the cart assembler was still running and assembling my cart unless I opened up the GUI. Even after that, I had a problem with the cart assembler not running and assembling my cart half the time.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ideally, I'd have the blocks setup like so:

Nanite Forge: The basic, introductory machine of Nanotech. With this, you can begin creating your first nanite clusters. You can see all the clusters the machine is capable of making from the get-go, like how you can see every recipe in MC when you've got NEI, but just like with NEI, you can't do jack unless you've got the power and resources to make it happen. You can place multiple (up to a 3x3x3 cube) Nanite Forges next to one another to improve their operational speed, max RF/t input, number of input item slots, and number of simultaneous clusters you can craft. With multiple Forges linked together, you can even create the more advanced clusters by simply clicking on their entry (as described in my first post regarding Nanotech) and providing the requisite materials; the machine itself will queue up all the necessary prerequisite clusters for you. Each additional Forge increases the maximum RF input by 800 RF/t, reaching a maximum of 21,600 RF/t allowed in. To put this into perspective, if you were able to supply a full 3x3x3 cluster of Nanite Forges with their maximum input of 21,600 RF/t, you'd be able to make around 5 basic nanite clusters (which, as proposed, would cost 80,000 RF) per second, assuming a fast enough input rate of requisite materials.

Nanite Aggolomerator: Turns nanite clusters into superclusters. It has a maximum input rate of 1,200 RF/t. It works in a similar fashion to the Cart Assembler from Steve's carts, with a few tweaks. First, you select the base supercluster you want to create, for instance, a farming supercluster that can till land, supply fertilizer, and collect and replant crops. This supercluster would require different clusters of nanites from those superclusters of other functions. Going with the farming example again, you'd need 1 distributed computing cluster, 3 motion clusters, and 1 engine cluster, as well as 1,440,000 RF (or, one minute at peak single-block efficiency). Before you begin assembling, you can select the aforementioned patches and kludges and supply the needed materials for any patches you wish to apply. Once all is prepared, you hit "Begin" and once you've gotten the required energy, it'll be done.

Like the Nanite Forge, multiple Nanite Agglomerators (again, up to 3x3x3) can be placed next to one another to increase their overall efficiency. Each Agglomerator adds 1,200 RF/t to the maximum input capacity for the structure, reaching a maximum of 32,400 RF/t input capacity. Creating the aforementioned farming supercluster? Instead of 60 seconds, it'd now take a little over two seconds.

[ETA]

Okay, that took longer than anticipated, but I got distracted. It happens...a lot.

As for a progress indicator, or even simply one that'd indicate when the machine's actually running, I'm all for it. That's one of my biggest peeves with some mod machines (like the Quartz Grindstone from AE), because I absolutely detest having to check the GUI constantly, which I do because I'm incredibly anal, so I know if the damned thing is even working properly.

Thinking on balance for a bit, I propose a "minimum working input" for powering machines. Like, you need X RF/t going in before the machine will operate. Maybe...20% of the machine's maximum power input? So, you'd need at least 160 RF/t going into a single Nanite Forge (or 240 RF/t for an Agglomerator) for the machine to operate. This would, of course, scale with the size of your machines, ending up with a max-size Forge requiring at least 4,320 RF/t to function, and a max-size Agglomerator requiring at least 6,480 RF/t. This would help prevent people from just speeding toward these little things and trickle-charging them with a single steam dynamo or something else equally ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
A way to make Diagonal Doors that are actually doors and not piston tricks. Need a way to make a door flush with my hexagonal housing style that doesn't require pistons.(which may not work on Carpenter's Blocks and I want a door, not a piston setup)

Flat entrances are fine and all, but I need something akin to the Multi-Use Doors mod doors. Maybe the whole mod updated, and I will ask a person who updates mods on the MC Forums as well if they could do it(and make a 1.6.4 version of it as a one shot backport since they work on 1.7 now).

Reactions: 1SDAN

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
A really simple mod idea came to mind.

A backport of the new vanilla 1.8 stone, with their related crafting recipes for acquisition. No need for worldgen.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
What about a mod that balances animals.

To make movement by pigs more viable, horses require to be fed in order to be used, and their food depletes as they run and jump and such. Pigs however, require no feeding.

To make farming pigs better when you breed a pig, three babies come out. Also, maybe a config option to allow them to drop pig skin, but cows drop 2 leather and pig skin has a time consuming process to turn into leather.

More non-decorative uses for wool. Maybe adding colored wool onto a piece of armor to color it. (Why should only leather have fun)

Really, wool needs more uses, it's so easy to get. But I can't think of any other ideas of crafting things.

Adding Calamari and Mutton, but it checks to see if those are already added by another installed mod and doesn't add these two if there is.

Along with the mutton idea, sheep breed for two babies and their meat (cooked) has more saturation than steak but fill very little. (Maybe only 2 hunger shanks)

Armor for Pigs, Wolves and cats (If horses can have armor, so can our friends)

(Pigs get armor because you can ride them BTW)

The cat appliance idea I posted above.

More uses for Ink Sacs. Again, no idea but there should be more. But this isn't nearly as urgent as the wool thing.

I believe that covers all of the short-comings

HellSigma

Jul 29, 2019
DartCraft is a cool mod. With that can pickup the spawners with the force wrench, can accelerate time with time torch etc..

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Chunk loader that consumes energy geometrically proportional to CPU load of it's chunks. So people on SMP optimise their builds to reduce server load.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Chunk loader that consumes energy geometrically proportional to CPU load of it's chunks. So people on SMP optimise their builds to reduce server load.

Sadly most would just build bigger power systems then to optimize.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
A really simple mod idea came to mind.

A backport of the new vanilla 1.8 stone, with their related crafting recipes for acquisition. No need for worldgen.

Oh I like this cause I can't play in the new 1.8 do to my computer being too old...... and its a laptop so there is no way to update the hardware, well easily and cost effective at least. Ah well, I wish I had money :(

Sent From My HTC EVO SUPERSONIC Using Tapatalk 2

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Nanites: Maybe you would make your initial spreading nanite, and use it to infect the ground ... and then collect the mutations and "errors" left behind as it spreads. Those mutated nanites would then be tossed into the machines to produce special, "cured" (mutation proof) nanite machines.

How much harm could a self reproducing, mutating, nanite machine do if you lost control of it, anyways? It's small, right? Small can't hurt, right?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Nanites: Maybe you would make your initial spreading nanite, and use it to infect the ground ... and then collect the mutations and "errors" left behind as it spreads. Those mutated nanites would then be tossed into the machines to produce special, "cured" (mutation proof) nanite machines.

How much harm could a self reproducing, mutating, nanite machine do if you lost control of it, anyways? It's small, right? Small can't hurt, right?
That sounds more like what FleshCraft is (or was, dunno if its still in development or not) going to be like. Its less "this can kill you if you fuck up," and more "if you try to take the easy way out, it'll be prone to (NON-EXPLOSIVE) failure." Think of them less like smart insects and more like...well, little computers. If you don't make the software controlling them properly, they're not going to kill you, but they won't work, either.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly most would just build bigger power systems then to optimize.
Geometric expansion based on CPU load (basically, tick time per chunk, aka lag) means the cost could potentially outstrip the ability of a player to build powergen unless you have some super-powerful systems in place. In other words, each engine costs so much lag per tick; so if the energy cost of loading each chunk is multiplied by the tick lag in each chunk (times some fixed multiplier, like 150%), eventually it behooves the player to use a more efficient power system and reduce the number of loaded entities (also lag producers) lest they outstrip their ability to load all their chunks. Chunks that don't lag have a low cost.

I REALLY like this idea.

Math: Let's say the base cost of keeping a chunk loaded is 10 RF/t. Two survival generators or a furnace generator from ExU could provide that, and if you just have a couple of generators and a small (3x3, the default) MFR tree farm in the chunk, maybe that's all the chunk loading will cost most of the time. But if tick rate goes down, indicating lag (checked every so often, maybe a few times every minute), then the cost goes up for a while. Maybe you have a backstuffed itemduct, or you're processing a lot of ores. At this point, the multipliers kick in. Your chunk loader's GUI will tell you the current cost, of course: the amount of difference between tick rate and 1/20 s, times 150%, plus base cost, times number of chunks loaded [(Delta T * 150% + base) * chunks]. Suddenly, your two-chunk ore processing and item sorting system is costing you 300 RF/t during the time that your system is backstuffed or processing. If you can't pay the cost, the chunk loader stops working and writes a note to the logfile so an admin can find the laggy chunk(s) and deal with it if necessary.

However, this isn't quite as simple as it looks. Tick rate is usually calculated for each dimension, rather than for each chunk. So maybe the chunk loader gradually scans for entities (tile entities, mob and item entities), and adds them to its calculation. So the cost is per entity in the chunk. This can suck during a zombie raid, though. I wonder how Opis does it, because that would be relevant to reducing the CPU cost of calculating lag per chunk.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Tylor

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I am looking for mod that will completly remove rain from a world.... and it can't be optifine cause that can't be added to a modpack

Sent From My HTC EVO SUPERSONIC Using Tapatalk 2

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I checked out the thread and the stuff there is very minimal. Being someone who has no idea what goes on in your brain, I don't think I'm the right guy to suggest your ideas for you. But for your great idea, have a cookie!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I had hoped Mystcraft would've changed some things, or an addon would be created for these changes, but I never really saw either of them happen.
so guess it's a good idea as any to talk about the things I was thinking of here

I always liked that you could create whole new ages with Mystcraft and being able to customize those ages.
but I never really liked how random the creation of ages can be, and how difficult it is to collect all the needed symbols to create the age you want.
I know that Mystcraft is based on the Myst series, and the way Mystcraft works is heavily inspired by it, but I never really followed those series so these ideas could be the complete opposite of the way Mystcraft is going.

what I would like to see is either a new mod, or an addon to Mystcraft that would add a new way of being able to create ages.
now you've to collect alot of symbols to create exact age you want, this either requires alot of villagers/emeralds, or age-hunting to find yourself the structures from Mystcraft.
I'd like to see this changed into something more of a research type of system, like Thaumcraft.

you'd start out by finding a village with a villager that sells you an item, this item needed to be able to continue.
what this item does is registering any information it can find, so you need to keep it on you when going around to be able to collect information.
you can also use this item to scan certain items/entities to gather information.

using this item will unlock symbols that you can use to create ages. so let's say you scan a grass block, you'll then be able to create an age with grass blocks in them.
or if you've the item on you and you're in a forest biome, the item will learn the biome, and you're able to create an age with a forest biome.
each time you learn new symbols your knowledge improves, which is needed to create more complicated ages.

when making an age and selecting the symbols, the number of symbols depends on how much knowledge you have.
so let's say a forest biome needs 20 knowledge and grass blocks needs 5 knowledge, that means you need to have 25 knowledge or more to be able to create this age.
now ofcourse an age needs to be alot more complicated then that if you want it stable, but this was just an example
you're able to combine symbols aswell, so you're able to gather the more difficult symbols, but this will cost some resources and knowledge points to do so.

now onto actually writing the age, this has become alot easier and controlled.
the writing desk has changed so you can see all the symbols from the start, only the symbols you've learned are available and the rest of the symbols are unavailable till you've learned them.
the writing desk will also tell you things like how many knowledge points you have and the option to combine symbols to create new ones.

when making an age the writing desk will tell you exactly which symbols you need or that you're missing to craft a stable age.
you're able to say which biomes the age will have, which size and shape they have, if it's eternal day or night, if it'll rain or not, if it's light or dark, all those things.
but the writing desk will also tell you of any chance of instability, so you're warned beforehand if there'll be instability or not.

now ofcourse don't think you'll be able to easily create a diamond block age or something like that, because certain symbols will still have a very high (and specific) instabillity effect.
there's also an additional resource cost when creating ages like that, so let's say if you want tendril diamonds in an age, it'll cost you alot of items when creating this age to be able to get those diamond tendrils.
this is to try and balance the ages so you don't ruin gamebalance too much. also don't think creating random ages will get you these kinds of things, as random ages have also changed.

when creating ages you've the option to manually create one, or choose from some predefined ages.
these predefined ages are similar to the predefined flat maps from Minecraft when creating flat worlds.
so there's a predefined age that's exactly as the overworld, or an age with forest/plains biome, or desert, or taige, or hell, or void etcetcetc
but you'll need to unlock these predefined ages first, though they're quite easy to unlock them

but back to random ages, when creating a random age, the random ages will be based on these predefined ages, so don't expect to come across something like a dense diamond tendrils age when creating a random age.
you also have the option to create your own predefined age. you simply select all the symbols for the age, and you can save it so you can easily create that age again later on.
the mod will actually generate a code for you when creating this custom predefined age, so you can share this code with others aswell.

the linking book would also change, as I really hate how difficult it currently is to create an intra-age linking book
I was thinking of a book as the item you need to carry around to gather knowledge. another additional item, a magnifying glass, could be used to scan items/entities.
this book needs to be placed in the writing desk to be able to access your symbols.
but going back to intra-age linking... this book is also a link book.
you can add warp pages to this book to specific ages. the number of pages and what kind of pages will again depend on your knowledge points, so it's very important to collect knowledge points.
so you can add an intra-age warp page to your book, if you've enough research points.

this book is played bound and can be recreated, so if you were to die and lose it, your progress is not lost, but this could ofcourse be configurable for the more hardcore players
but the book will be the most important item of this addon/mod, which you need to purchase from a villager, so without it you can't start.
the book being the most important items is also a plus side, as you're able to have access to a whole number of ages, with just 1 single item, so you don't have to carry like a dozen linking books with you or be forced to create a nexus.

well, that's about it for the ideas. as I said before, I really like how you're able to create new dimensions with Mystcraft that you can explore
I know there are other dimension mods, but none are really like Mystcraft.
but I just wished Mystcraft was a bit more different, like where finding symbols was more of a game, creating ages was easier/more customizable/more informative and the warping was easier and less messy