Request Suggest mods for creation here

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
A chainsaw. Kills any zombie-type undead in one hit; stops the "summon reinforcement" behavior so they actually die die die die die!

Reactions: RealKC

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I know realism isn't a thing here, but...
A chainsaw would be a horrible weapon against zombies. And would likely summon more zombies due to their loudness.
A chainsaw would be an expensive liability as they are rubbish against wet flesh. If the chain doesn't get caked internationally with zombie gunk it would catch on the zombies clothing.
Also the chain is likely to catch on the soft flesh and drag out of your hand.
The only time a chainsaw would be remotely useful is if the zombie was dry and maybe a bit frozen.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
So, I've been watching VintageBeef play a modpack as of late, which is supposed to be about exploration (has some neat random structures and surprises all over the place). Problem is, you don't really stray that far from your food farm (pam's and hunger overhaul are in it, but at least they left out spice of life).

I've noticed this in many packs that want to be about exploration, don't really have a way to fully support exploration, and usually end up with a base of operations, and not much else.

I would like to see a low barrier "traveling" mod, and by low barrier, I mean no 'effin ender pearls as crafting requirements. Diamonds, sure.. but enough with the ender pearls...

One that will let you pack up/pick up/unpack structures that most people would usually use when playing a modpack.

Something that will take a 9x9 area and turn it into a little farm, At first a direct copy of a villager farm, but than it can store what crops you've planted and their growth stage.
Something that will take a 9x9 area and turn it into a small house, with a bed. It would then store/recreate what you put in it (chests etc..)
Another 9x9 that would be a workshop with a crafting table and furnace. Again, upgradable by what you put into it.

I personally would like to "explore" but leaving set ups behind, or even being forced to return to a food farm on a regular basis is counter intuitive.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
A really simple Island Generation mod. I was thinking in the sky and you have a spawn island that is 6 chunks big(Contained within the 6 chunks) this has a chest and optional building(s). Then you can explore but any "Void Chunks" (Chunks without an island) you need a special bridge block the build in, the block would be decently expensive, enough to be not abundant early game. Now you have other islands spawn too about 1 in 48 chunks but this is preferably configurable. Large Islands spawn at a rate of 1 out if every 24 islands. Islands can have ores, plants, mod items, large islands can have slightly better loot and small structures but also have monster spawners.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I would like to see a low barrier "traveling" mod, and by low barrier, I mean no 'effin ender pearls as crafting requirements. Diamonds, sure.. but enough with the ender pearls...

Pchan's Airship is pretty good for early game exploration- bit of leather, iron, wood, string and cobble and you're off.
Because you're sitting in a blimp, you use comparatively little energy compared to running/climbing/jetpacking ect

As for food- a neat trick I use in my BtW world is to take flour with me, and pick off a few animals during the day as I explore. At night I bake bread and cook the meat to make tasty sandwiches.
Essentially take some ingredients to combine with what you get as a hunter-gatherer to make better foodstuff.
(or theres lazy mode- enderstorage + autofarm).

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
For the love of all that is holy and sacred, someone PLEASE make an ender chest that is upgradable in storage size! Also, I would be extremely grateful for an alternative to pipe sealant being made exclusively from cactus! There is NOTHING more frustrating than needing to pump creosote out of a coke oven, or waste out of a harvester and not being able to find a #%$&ing desert!

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
On the subject of ender chests...
An account chest - at least for SSP games that lets us transfer items between saves.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
For the love of all that is holy and sacred, someone PLEASE make an ender chest that is upgradable in storage size! Also, I would be extremely grateful for an alternative to pipe sealant being made exclusively from cactus! There is NOTHING more frustrating than needing to pump creosote out of a coke oven, or waste out of a harvester and not being able to find a #%$&ing desert!

Slimeballs also be used.
Found under Config→Buildcraft→main.conf

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I know realism isn't a thing here, but...
A chainsaw would be a horrible weapon against zombies. And would likely summon more zombies due to their loudness.
A chainsaw would be an expensive liability as they are rubbish against wet flesh. If the chain doesn't get caked internationally with zombie gunk it would catch on the zombies clothing.
Also the chain is likely to catch on the soft flesh and drag out of your hand.
The only time a chainsaw would be remotely useful is if the zombie was dry and maybe a bit frozen.

Not according to Mythbusters. The chainsaw was clearly the winning weapon against zombie hordes. And hordes of zombies, too.

Alright: You say that the saw would be pulled out of your hands by the zombies. We're talking about a demi-god (Steve/Alex) that has indescribable strength, as seen both by the bow pull, carrying, and tree punching ability. "Rubbish against wet flesh"? If anything, that would be an ideal material to slice through, I would think (as far as I know, there is no actual testing of this for chain saws, but the whole behavior of normal saws on flesh is pretty clear).

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
1. JABBA barrels with B-space upgrades can store a huge number of items, albeit of only one type.
2. Forestry beeswax.
On the subject of ender chests...
An account chest - at least for SSP games that lets us transfer items between saves.
I like the idea, but the implementation is nontrivial. NEI has such a feature and showcases the caveat quite well: all the item IDs get scrambled from world to world unless the worlds were generated in exactly the same version of the exact same pack. If any mod updates and adds or removes even a single block or item ID and you generate a new world, half the other mods' IDs all get shuffled around.

Reactions: Reddis

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Not according to Mythbusters. The chainsaw was clearly the winning weapon against zombie hordes. And hordes of zombies, too.

Alright: You say that the saw would be pulled out of your hands by the zombies. We're talking about a demi-god (Steve/Alex) that has indescribable strength, as seen both by the bow pull, carrying, and tree punching ability. "Rubbish against wet flesh"? If anything, that would be an ideal material to slice through, I would think (as far as I know, there is no actual testing of this for chain saws, but the whole behavior of normal saws on flesh is pretty clear).

Granted the chainsaw would be effective and efficient at killing zombies, however it would be a poor choice of weapon in zombie survival.
a) Splatter- zombie "virus" [whatever it is] is often spread through bodily fluids, you'll likely contaminate yourself and other nearby survivors. Even in a full biohazard suit you'll still run into visibility issues with zombie juice covering the visor. And the needing to wash off after (both yourself and the saw).
b) Range- with exception to speciality long bladed chainsaws, you'll be getting fairly close to the zombies putting yourself in a high risk of being grabbed/bitten. Especially when dealing with a horde.

Honestly- stick to firearms/crossbow (reload time)/longbow (strength/training) to kill them before they get too close.
If you need a striking weapon, a spear would fare better for survival, easier to maintain/make, with the longer range and option to throw it if you have spare. Added bonuses of being lightweight and doubling as a walking/poking stick.
A second choice would be a hammer, probably a lump hammer/large claw hammer/hatchet on a sledge hammer handle. Sledgehammers, logging axes ect would be too heavy. You need to carry it around and swing it quickly.

However chainsaw would be a good option if you're going to die anyway (base is compromised and you're buying escape time for everyone else).
Though you may end up with something much much worse- zombies wielding chainsaws. For that I'd recommend running shoes and a slow, fat friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golrith

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
CustomItems is awesome, but it doesn't let you change existing mining levels. Though you could fake it with a new item that has your desired mining level.
Iguana Tweaks for TiCon can let you define mining levels.
Iguana Tweaks for Vanilla can let you define block hardness.​
Thanks

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
So I really like how Thaumcraft lets you unlock recipes, and with Minetweaker you can make custom u lockable recipes. But it would be really cool if someone were to make a "Blueprints" mod, that has craftable or findable recipes, or another suggestion for @LordDusk that he adds recipe unlocking to the HQM book.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
So I really like how Thaumcraft lets you unlock recipes, and with Minetweaker you can make custom u lockable recipes. But it would be really cool if someone were to make a "Blueprints" mod, that has craftable or findable recipes, or another suggestion for @LordDusk that he adds recipe unlocking to the HQM book.
Progression anything like what you're looking for?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
A little something something to double the height of the Nether world gen.
The overworld has been 256 blocks for years now. Yet the Nether still remains old height.​
I think McJty found that while the world generator can handle worlds 256 Y-levels high, it's not very good at it, causing worlds that generate lots of blocks above 128 to be much slower to generate than expected, even if they're relatively sparse like his Grid terrain generator. So my guess is that when they did the 256 update, they did update the height of the Nether, said "OMG the lag!" and changed it back.

RFTools, as I recall, has two separate caveworld dimlets, one that goes up to 128 and the other to 256, for precisely that reason.