Request Suggest mods for creation here

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to parse through all registered items at the end of world load and base the mobs difficult on some form of average item damage? I am aware that it could potentially take quite a while to parse but it would only happen on start up and could be turned off with a config option. The part I don't know is if forge provides a means to do this.

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
Is it possible to parse through all registered items at the end of world load and base the mobs difficult on some form of average item damage? I am aware that it could potentially take quite a while to parse but it would only happen on start up and could be turned off with a config option. The part I don't know is if forge provides a means to do this.
I'm pretty sure it's do-able, but it's not very reliable. Think of Tinker's Construct for example: depending on the base material and upgrades, the finalized weapon can end up doing more than twice as much damage as the base item. Another option is to pick some of the most popular mods and assign each of them an "end-game power score" which would power the bosses based on the highest one loaded. It wouldn't account for all mods, but it'd account for some of the more powerful mainstream mods.

The way I have the boss for my mod planned is a bit different though. You'll get better rewards the more damage you do to it, but you'll never actually be able to kill it. If I later decide you can kill it, it'll be so hard that it would be almost impossible without some very powerful end-game mod gear.

Reactions: Lethosos

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure it's do-able, but it's not very reliable. Think of Tinker's Construct for example: depending on the base material and upgrades, the finalized weapon can end up doing more than twice as much damage as the base item. Another option is to pick some of the most popular mods and assign each of them an "end-game power score" which would power the bosses based on the highest one loaded. It wouldn't account for all mods, but it'd account for some of the more powerful mainstream mods.

The way I have the boss for my mod planned is a bit different though. You'll get better rewards the more damage you do to it, but you'll never actually be able to kill it. If I later decide you can kill it, it'll be so hard that it would be almost impossible without some very powerful end-game mod gear.

Yea, that would probably be a more realistic way of handling it. How do you plan to give the rewards? Does it just drop stuff once a certain amount of damage has been done to it?

D4rkWulf

Jul 29, 2019
Fair warning with modding bosses: balancing their difficulty and rewards with other mods in mind can be really hard.

(not making, i do not make mods)

I just "design" them, and even in the design, mods like IC2, botania ect. are drilled into me by now. The difficulty might be a bit hard, but the rewards are no problem (at least for me) to make them a bit balanced.

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
Yea, that would probably be a more realistic way of handling it. How do you plan to give the rewards? Does it just drop stuff once a certain amount of damage has been done to it?
An invisible number will exist in the background to keep track of the highest tier you got to. Once you die, you're brought back to life, moved elsewhere, and your reward is dumped on top of your head.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Would there be some kind of interrupt so that your death doesn't actually count as a death? (for the hardcore players) or would this just not be for hardcore?

D4rkWulf

Jul 29, 2019
Would there be some kind of interrupt so that your death doesn't actually count as a death? (for the hardcore players) or would this just not be for hardcore?
hardcore = minecraft difficulity hard, but just with one life. No redo's so that's the extra tension.
If you really want to you can make (I didn't think about this, just something that popped up, but it's an example) give the player 2 lives, and upon death event, the player gains one life (reference: HQM)

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
So this is an idea I had a while ago, and I actually started working on it a little bit but I need more experience and probably a team before I can really get some progress on it.
But I am still looking for feedback on the idea.
Light-Drafter
A mod based on the LightBringer series by Brent Weeks. All users are "Prisms" who can use all colors of light to draft luxin, a material they can use to create tools and machines.

The user will design their tools/armor/objects in a "drafter's workshop". When in the world the user has a quick draft set that they can use to "draft" their designs into existence. The more a user drafts in a given color gives them more effective units to draft with and increases the recovery of that color. There is a max total unit use that is increased as the user "drafts" any color. If the user attempts to draft something that exceeds their ability the color will bleed out and they will become "light sick".

The design phase will let users choose one of three categories for their design: Wield-able Wearable Place-able

Wield-ables:
  • custom right click interaction (place things, shoot, hit, pick up)
  • aura interaction
Wearables:

• aura interaction
  • aura producing?
  • use limits
Place-ables:
  • aura interaction
  • aura producing
  • entity interactions
All "drafts" have a time based breakdown factor that is determined by their color make up. Purer colors last longer and yellow cores will extend the lifetime of other colors.
List of colors and basic properties:

Superviolet - Invisible except to superviolet drafters — and those only when they concentrate. Solid, but not as strong as blue or green, superviolet is the subtlest luxin. Used for cryptography, creating invisible walls and traps, and marking targets on the battlefield

Blue - This luxin is hard, strong, and smooth. It can be used in anything from the creation of large structures to armor or bladed weapons or projectiles.

Green - Springy and flexible. The uses are as varied as the drafter is creative: from furniture to projectiles to shields to the throwing arms of war engines.

Yellow - Most often a liquid that releases its energy back into light quickly, allowing its use as a torch or a trigger to ignite flammable materials or explosives. Yellow nourishes other luxins, extending the durability of luxin structures or tools. Like water turning to ice, when yellow is drafted perfectly, it loses its liquidity and becomes the hardest luxin of all.

Orange - Slick, lubricative, and heavy. It is often used in conjunction with machines and traps.

Red - Sticky, gooey, and extremely flammable. Reds often work with sub-reds or with mundane tools to make bombs.

Sub-Red - Used to see heat, allowing one to see (to an extent) in the dark. Used to draft the heat from one's surroundings to survive intense heat, and create flame crystals which turn into fire when exposed to air.

FAQ:
Q: Pure colors last longer, but how does "pure" manifest itself in the mod? Does the player just have to "concentrate" (i.e. wait) when drafting?

Do you plan on some sort of color limit system? Obviously you don't want to limit players by randomly choosing their color(s), but maybe some advantage for focusing?

A: Luxin Quality: The more you draft a color, the closer to a pure quality you can draft of that color. For every color except yellow you will always draft your highest quality - yellow will give you the option to draft one step below pure.

Color capacity: The amount of a given color that you can store. Drafting items that contain a color increase the max capacity of that color. This starts out higher than your color usage limit.

Color usage limit: The amount of a specific color that you can potentially use in your next drafting. Drafting a color reduces your usage limit of that color for your next drafting. While you are not drafting your usage limit will grow back to its current max. The current max usage limit and restoration rate of a color is based on your level with that color. Early on, a colors usage limit will be lower than its capacity.

Luxin usage limit: The amount of luxin you can potentially draft without becoming "light sick". Drafting an item reduces your luxin usage limit for the the next drafting. While you are not drafting your luxin usage limit will grow back to its current max. The current max usage limit and restoration rate is based on your average color level. Early on, your luxin usage limit will be much lower than your overall luxin capacity.

OverDrafting: If you attempt to draft something that uses up more than you can currently output (based on current color limits or overall drafting limits) you will lose up to the full cost of that draft, not create the item and become light sick. The light sick severity and duration will be based on the amount you overdrafted and your color/overall endurance.

Q: How do you plan on players drawing luxin into their bodies working? Just a time recharge?

A: Absorbing Color: Currently, you will absorb color from your surroundings passively, but it is based on light intensity, drafting level, light source. Any light source that is not from this mod is treated as white light and light from this mod is based on the luxin and its quality, although it doesn't travel far and is always low intesity.

Q: Do you plan on making it apparent to other players how much luxin a player is holding? I feel like that would make the mod more interesting if I can see a green drawing in a bunch of luxin with just enough time to panic before they go golem.

A: Luxin creations: You can only draft something into the world after you have designed it on the table, you can also load a design. When you draft something into existence you will glow in the main color of what ever you are drafting and the time it takes to draft will depend on the raw amount of luxin being drafted and your level with each luxin. The only items that could take more than about 2 seconds are place-ables.

There will be an interface for putting designs into a radial quick draft, which is used for drafting your creations into the world. Drafting a wield-able or place-able will place your new item in your current hotbar position and any item that may already be there will be put in your inventory. Similarly for wear-ables, but with the specified spot for the wear-able. There will also be a "draft set" option which will draft each item in a set in order, which is what you would use to "go green golem."

Q: What do you mean by aura here? I don't recall any sort of aura mechanic in the books.

A: Aura: This is your way of passively drafting luxin, the color you/your armor gives off can be used to effect your drafted items. It it is an attempt to add real-time flexibility to your actions without adding overwhelming complexity to the gameplay.

For instance if you created a "bow and arrow" ranged weapon and you were giving off a sub-red aura, your arrows might light your target on fire.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought that it would be a cool idea to do "Ore Swords" it would be stuff like a coal ore sword would have a triple chance to get fire aspect as an enchantment. And then iron would do the same damage as iron but the durability of stone. And then lapis ore sword is the same durability as stone and twice the enchant ability of gold, and stuff like that.

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
So this is an idea I had a while ago, and I actually started working on it a little bit but I need more experience and probably a team before I can really get some progress on it.
But I am still looking for feedback on the idea.
Light-Drafter
A mod based on the LightBringer series by Brent Weeks. All users are "Prisms" who can use all colors of light to draft luxin, a material they can use to create tools and machines.

The user will design their tools/armor/objects in a "drafter's workshop". When in the world the user has a quick draft set that they can use to "draft" their designs into existence. The more a user drafts in a given color gives them more effective units to draft with and increases the recovery of that color. There is a max total unit use that is increased as the user "drafts" any color. If the user attempts to draft something that exceeds their ability the color will bleed out and they will become "light sick".

The design phase will let users choose one of three categories for their design: Wield-able Wearable Place-able

Wield-ables:
  • custom right click interaction (place things, shoot, hit, pick up)
  • aura interaction
Wearables:

• aura interaction
  • aura producing?
  • use limits
Place-ables:
  • aura interaction
  • aura producing
  • entity interactions
All "drafts" have a time based breakdown factor that is determined by their color make up. Purer colors last longer and yellow cores will extend the lifetime of other colors.
List of colors and basic properties:

Superviolet - Invisible except to superviolet drafters — and those only when they concentrate. Solid, but not as strong as blue or green, superviolet is the subtlest luxin. Used for cryptography, creating invisible walls and traps, and marking targets on the battlefield

Blue - This luxin is hard, strong, and smooth. It can be used in anything from the creation of large structures to armor or bladed weapons or projectiles.

Green - Springy and flexible. The uses are as varied as the drafter is creative: from furniture to projectiles to shields to the throwing arms of war engines.

Yellow - Most often a liquid that releases its energy back into light quickly, allowing its use as a torch or a trigger to ignite flammable materials or explosives. Yellow nourishes other luxins, extending the durability of luxin structures or tools. Like water turning to ice, when yellow is drafted perfectly, it loses its liquidity and becomes the hardest luxin of all.

Orange - Slick, lubricative, and heavy. It is often used in conjunction with machines and traps.

Red - Sticky, gooey, and extremely flammable. Reds often work with sub-reds or with mundane tools to make bombs.

Sub-Red - Used to see heat, allowing one to see (to an extent) in the dark. Used to draft the heat from one's surroundings to survive intense heat, and create flame crystals which turn into fire when exposed to air.

FAQ:
Q: Pure colors last longer, but how does "pure" manifest itself in the mod? Does the player just have to "concentrate" (i.e. wait) when drafting?

Do you plan on some sort of color limit system? Obviously you don't want to limit players by randomly choosing their color(s), but maybe some advantage for focusing?

A: Luxin Quality: The more you draft a color, the closer to a pure quality you can draft of that color. For every color except yellow you will always draft your highest quality - yellow will give you the option to draft one step below pure.

Color capacity: The amount of a given color that you can store. Drafting items that contain a color increase the max capacity of that color. This starts out higher than your color usage limit.

Color usage limit: The amount of a specific color that you can potentially use in your next drafting. Drafting a color reduces your usage limit of that color for your next drafting. While you are not drafting your usage limit will grow back to its current max. The current max usage limit and restoration rate of a color is based on your level with that color. Early on, a colors usage limit will be lower than its capacity.

Luxin usage limit: The amount of luxin you can potentially draft without becoming "light sick". Drafting an item reduces your luxin usage limit for the the next drafting. While you are not drafting your luxin usage limit will grow back to its current max. The current max usage limit and restoration rate is based on your average color level. Early on, your luxin usage limit will be much lower than your overall luxin capacity.

OverDrafting: If you attempt to draft something that uses up more than you can currently output (based on current color limits or overall drafting limits) you will lose up to the full cost of that draft, not create the item and become light sick. The light sick severity and duration will be based on the amount you overdrafted and your color/overall endurance.

Q: How do you plan on players drawing luxin into their bodies working? Just a time recharge?

A: Absorbing Color: Currently, you will absorb color from your surroundings passively, but it is based on light intensity, drafting level, light source. Any light source that is not from this mod is treated as white light and light from this mod is based on the luxin and its quality, although it doesn't travel far and is always low intesity.

Q: Do you plan on making it apparent to other players how much luxin a player is holding? I feel like that would make the mod more interesting if I can see a green drawing in a bunch of luxin with just enough time to panic before they go golem.

A: Luxin creations: You can only draft something into the world after you have designed it on the table, you can also load a design. When you draft something into existence you will glow in the main color of what ever you are drafting and the time it takes to draft will depend on the raw amount of luxin being drafted and your level with each luxin. The only items that could take more than about 2 seconds are place-ables.

There will be an interface for putting designs into a radial quick draft, which is used for drafting your creations into the world. Drafting a wield-able or place-able will place your new item in your current hotbar position and any item that may already be there will be put in your inventory. Similarly for wear-ables, but with the specified spot for the wear-able. There will also be a "draft set" option which will draft each item in a set in order, which is what you would use to "go green golem."

Q: What do you mean by aura here? I don't recall any sort of aura mechanic in the books.

A: Aura: This is your way of passively drafting luxin, the color you/your armor gives off can be used to effect your drafted items. It it is an attempt to add real-time flexibility to your actions without adding overwhelming complexity to the gameplay.

For instance if you created a "bow and arrow" ranged weapon and you were giving off a sub-red aura, your arrows might light your target on fire.
I kinda want this, but I'm busy with my own project, so I won't right now. I once tried to make a mod based on light manipulation, but that was forever ago and I had no idea how to do anything back then.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought that it would be a cool idea to do "Ore Swords" it would be stuff like a coal ore sword would have a triple chance to get fire aspect as an enchantment. And then iron would do the same damage as iron but the durability of stone. And then lapis ore sword is the same durability as stone and twice the enchant ability of gold, and stuff like that.

A mod like this would actually be pretty simple to make, if you made some textures and came up with recipes you want them to have I could probably make it this weekend.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
A mod like this would actually be pretty simple to make, if you made some textures and came up with recipes you want them to have I could probably make it this weekend.
I used to have the textures, but they were pretty simple and I'll make them send them right over by tomorrow probably.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I believe this requires a re-work of the fire block mechanics:

1. Increase the burn time of wood blocks, so that a campfire can last the night.
2. Change the spread/block destruction mechanics so that having a U-shaped row of wood will keep fire in the middle blocks (there are three wood blocks next to the open air). The goal here is to keep the fire burning; even if the fire goes out in one spot, there should still be fire in adjacent blocks to spread back.
3. Seriously cut down on torch value/effectiveness. (It can be tweaked out if that's still not enough).

4. Change netherrack to drop some form of partials, that are recombined into netherrack block (think glowstone).

Changing glowstone to require 9 dust to produce is minetweakable.

Reference: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...l-derp-whats-yours.44240/page-48#post-1364858 and the next 6 posts.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I believe this requires a re-work of the fire block mechanics:

1. Increase the burn time of wood blocks, so that a campfire can last the night.
2. Change the spread/block destruction mechanics so that having a U-shaped row of wood will keep fire in the middle blocks (there are three wood blocks next to the open air). The goal here is to keep the fire burning; even if the fire goes out in one spot, there should still be fire in adjacent blocks to spread back.
3. Seriously cut down on torch value/effectiveness. (It can be tweaked out if that's still not enough).

4. Change netherrack to drop some form of partials, that are recombined into netherrack block (think glowstone).

Changing glowstone to require 9 dust to produce is minetweakable.

Reference: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...l-derp-whats-yours.44240/page-48#post-1364858 and the next 6 posts.
Alternatively, you could hack torches to make them sputter and burn out eventually, at which point they need relighting with flint+steel and/or refueling with... hmm. Coal never really did make sense as torch fuel, did it? Maybe add a way to gather sap from spruce trees.

While I agree that campfires would look better (and be more fun) than torches, re-writing the fire spread mechanics (while certainly a neat way to use emergent behavior) seems a little overkill to me. It'd be simpler to add a fire pit block (which, yes, could be created by clicking a wood block (or a pile of dry leaves or spruce needles) with flint and steel) that can keep burning and producing light as long as there's some logs adjacent to it.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Torches burning out is not my goal, nor do I think it's anyone else's. There are mods for that.

Drop torches to light level 10, and they become almost useless -- you have to spam them a lot of handle mods.
Drop them to level level 12, and ... maybe? What about Jack-o-lanterns? What should they be?

Glowstone is currently as bright as fire or lava -- good? Bad?

Netherrack as a cheap and easy infinite fire block (seriously, go into the nether, mine a few quick blocks, get back out -- nice and safe)?

===

Some mods use fire as a fuel source. Reika's is one, but there's also crucibles that melt stone to lava. The idea that a torch is a slower/weaker fuel, fire is better, and lava even better still is fine. But infinite fire is rather easy to get (flaming hell boulder, as the signature says), and "real material" fire goes out too quick.

Real-world fires will take out very large areas of forest; minecraft fires are much less. So yea, making fires last longer, giving the spread chance a boost so that when it goes out over here without destroying the block, there's a good chance that it will respread back to that spot, and overall making fires take out more of the stuff that they will take out, even if it takes more time to happen. This also makes wood-based fires better for sources that want to use fire. At the same time, reduce the value of netherrack, so that hell-fire isn't so free and easy to work with.

For completeness, adjust torches/jack-o-lantern/glowstone/fire/lava's lighting.

Maybe fire/glowstone are 15, jack-o-lanterns 14, torches 12? Or would that make torches too low?

DarkStarMU

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really know how to "suggest a mod" so here it goes, this one streamer I watch on twitch wants a mod that is a "scarecrow" and he wants it to act like a player. Yes you might be thinking why not use a chunkloader, but a chunkloader will not spawn mobs from a mob spawner. I'm not sure what else he wants but that was one thing :)