Should ic2 be boycotted untill the power system is fixed ??

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I guess that's one of the biggest issues I am having. Figuring out which engine for which machine. Even though they run on minimum power, it is far from ideal to run them at that speed.
For what its worth, I had really good results by getting into solar and wind in the early game. They're kind of pitiful and useless later on, but I found it useful to charge up industrial coils with these green sources.

I skipped gas engines and went straight to performance, but it appears a recent version change has made it so you go through the accelerant waaaaaay faster than before, rendering them useless unless you are mass-producing blaze powder, gunpowder or redstone (via magical crops or what have you). By using your green power as much as possible you'd be able to save your ethanol for gas engines when you need the extra early game kick.

I always get a kick out of the realism argument when we travel through portals to other dimensions, fight monsters, carry enough weight to sink a cargo ship, and fly. At least alot of the tech mods are based on real principles. No point in arguing over it. Don't like a mod, don't use it. I don't like magic mods and remove them from ever pack I play. No need to come to the forums to try and convince others why.

I think the issue is consistency. Its like a fiction book: a story introduces rules, and you expect the story to abide by them, even if those rules involve elves and pixies and left handed people. I don't mind the game mixing magic and tech, but don't give me a smurf and tell me its a horse or I'm liable to get annoyed.

Some mods introduce concepts that seem to indicate a ruleset, but then blithely hop outside it. They give us fuel-power (coal, lava) and green-power (wind, solar), and then throw in something which purports to function legitimately (electrolysis) but doesn't. The dressing makes all the difference. Go away, smurf, you're ruining my book.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
but it appears a recent version change has made it so you go through the accelerant waaaaaay faster than before, rendering them useless unless you are mass-producing blaze powder, gunpowder or redstone
Oops. This is a bug.

I think the issue is consistency. Its like a fiction book: a story introduces rules, and you expect the story to abide by them, even if those rules involve elves and pixies and left handed people. I don't mind the game mixing magic and tech, but don't give me a smurf and tell me its a horse or I'm liable to get annoyed.

Some mods introduce concepts that seem to indicate a ruleset, but then blithely hop outside it. They give us fuel-power (coal, lava) and green-power (wind, solar), and then throw in something which purports to function legitimately (electrolysis) but doesn't. The dressing makes all the difference. Go away, smurf, you're ruining my book.
Agreed. Breaking the laws of physics is fine, but do not keep breaking your own internal laws, too. That is actually one of the quintessential rules of creating fictional universes; if you keep bending the rules as the plot demands, you will quickly screw over any possible suspension of disbelief.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~Agreed. Breaking the laws of physics is fine, but do not keep breaking your own internal laws, too. That is actually one of the quintessential rules of creating fictional universes; if you keep bending the rules as the plot demands, you will quickly screw over any possible suspension of disbelief.
[quote="Pyure, post: 591690, member: 69026"~I think the issue is consistency. Its like a fiction book: a story introduces rules, and you expect the story to abide by them, even if those rules involve elves and pixies and left handed people. I don't mind the game mixing magic and tech, but don't give me a smurf and tell me its a horse or I'm liable to get annoyed.

Some mods introduce concepts that seem to indicate a ruleset, but then blithely hop outside it. They give us fuel-power (coal, lava) and green-power (wind, solar), and then throw in something which purports to function legitimately (electrolysis) but doesn't. The dressing makes all the difference. Go away, smurf, you're ruining my book.[/quote]
This makes the most sense here out of all the arguments against the Hydrogen Generator in Mek in Minecraft, and yet it's the least applicable. Well, rather, applied to Minecraft as a whole that is, since every mod is built by different people(or teams of people) each with their own internal mechanics to work with. If the Hydrogen Generator can be added to Mek and Mek alone without breaking it's internal consistency, then it's fine to be there.

...So despite all the arguing about Mek and the Hydrogen Generator, I'm surprised no one mentioned Emmasher's Mods and his addon for Engineers Toolbox/Modular Sockets, GasCraft, with it's hydrogen generation system and it costing nothing but some water, some algae, and sunlight/time, to make usable hydrogen for fuel.
Am I the only who who uses this stuff around these parts? Or is it more "realistic" to use the "Photobioreactor" to generate hydrogen from algae, water, and sunlight/time?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Or is it more "realistic" to use the "Photobioreactor" to generate hydrogen from algae, water, and sunlight/time?
Yes, that is far more realistic, as plants grow. The only things missing are a nutrient supply to the plants (may even be supplied by the water) and some way to crack the cellulose into H2.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that is far more realistic, as plants grow. The only things missing are a nutrient supply to the plants (may even be supplied by the water) and some way to crack the cellulose into H2.
Huh. Well, the algae grows elsewhere(you can't use that socket for that), and is typically found growing above shallow water sources on the surface, usually in swampy areas.
You can even make a sort of "super algae" if you grow it on Nutrient Water, but it's only used to get more hydrogen from each bucket of water/make deadly neurotoxin.

You supply the socket with water and insert some algae somehow, and after a bit, it outputs usable hydrogen. Takes 1 bucket of water and 1 piece of algae and gets you 1 "bucket" of hydrogen(1000 mB, not actually a bucket full of it), unless you use that "super algae" in which case 1 bucket of water and it makes 3 "buckets" of hydrogen.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
So despite all the arguing about Mek and the Hydrogen Generator, I'm surprised no one mentioned Emmasher's Mods and his addon for Engineers Toolbox/Modular Sockets, GasCraft, with it's hydrogen generation system and it costing nothing but some water, some algae, and sunlight/time, to make usable hydrogen for fuel.
Am I the only who who uses this stuff around these parts? Or is it more "realistic" to use the "Photobioreactor" to generate hydrogen from algae, water, and sunlight/time?
I mentioned that earlier.

The cellulose isn't being cracked, it is a photosynthesis byproduct if I am understanding it correctly. I just read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_hydrogen_production_(Algae). I used to think the mechanism (irl) functioned slightly differently and it was a byproduct of other microorganisms feeding on the algae so I enjoyed learning about it more and correcting myself. I still have no gameplay problems with emashers implementation.

Reactions: YX33A

Breon

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, asking why I am drawing a line here is a bit like asking me why I believe in God but don't believe in fairies*. It may not make sense to some people but, for a whole host of reasons (that actually don't have to be internally consistent) I choose to believe in one and not the other, or reject one implausible game mechanic while accepting another that is also implausible.

Fair enough, and certainly as good a reason as any.

For the record, I am actually not a fan of the seperator/generator myself (too simplistic, and the lighting updates can get laggy if you use a lot of them). I only ever use a single generator - very briefly - during the phase between first getting my ore processing line started and having the resources to build a more interesting power system (Big Reactor, AtSci fusion reactor, etc). I mainly just spoke up because I always see people talking about how "unrealistic" the electrolysis loop is while praising other systems that are just as unrealistic (and to remind people to keep their nasty realism away from my game ;)).

The whole lava/any fuel in, pure energy out system is a matter of taking a 'real world' mechanic and simplifying it into game terms. As we're dealing with combustion, the in game explanation is the gaseous waste/smoke simply dissipates.

Exactly. Good games will generally simplify mechanics such as this to remove unnecessary tedium. So for all we know there may be a perfectly reasonably explanation for how this power loop works, its just been abstracted out. Maybe on the world of minecraft water is slightly less stable than on earth needing less energy to separate, or maybe nether squirrels breathe their mojo on the water, causing it to be far out... All that really matters to me is that it is a system I can build which helps during the early to mid game power hump.

Go away, smurf, you're ruining my book.

This line makes you my favorite poster of the day.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. Well, the algae grows elsewhere(you can't use that socket for that), and is typically found growing above shallow water sources on the surface, usually in swampy areas.
You can even make a sort of "super algae" if you grow it on Nutrient Water, but it's only used to get more hydrogen from each bucket of water/make deadly neurotoxin.

You supply the socket with water and insert some algae somehow, and after a bit, it outputs usable hydrogen. Takes 1 bucket of water and 1 piece of algae and gets you 1 "bucket" of hydrogen(1000 mB, not actually a bucket full of it), unless you use that "super algae" in which case 1 bucket of water and it makes 3 "buckets" of hydrogen.
Have you actually tried this method? I have and it is not so easy. Harvesting the algae automatically is the biggest issue. The setup I made was with modular sockets with block breakers on 4 sides, update detector on the top and output to the bottom. It was really expensive to build all those. The algae also grows slow and the bio reactors only function during the day and are super slow too. Hydrogen also has a really low fuel value so it doesn't make much energy. The amount of infrastructure you need to actually use it makes it difficult as a main source of power. You would have quite a few easier options before you can afford it.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
@casilleroatr And this is why the FTB Forums are awesome, science everywhere.
image_by_lovemysockhead12-d7adlnk.jpg

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

image.jpg

Reactions: trajing