Shoop Resonant Rise [Ended 7/21/13]

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Eh, the mod pack I work on doesn't even have IC2, much less GregTech. Yes, GT can be used for cheaper things, once you build the infrastructure, but it makes it a royal PITA to make said infrastructure. And I'm *REALLY* not a fan of how he seems to think that he has the right to alter recipes from other mods.

I am considering adding UE, but I can't seem to find the licensing or mod pack information on it, so I default to 'sir not appearing in my mod pack'.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ok MOAR random stuff on being creative. First in case people are wondering about my flat world. Here is the preset I use. 2;7,63x42;2; Just go to presets and type that in. Its 1 layer of bedrock and 63 layers of iron blocks. I find the grid helps me out more then the redstone ready preset. It makes counting sizes much easier.

Anyways so remember when I said I build a lot of sample builds. I'm not joking.

Layouts for floor models with different combos of mats.

Being Creative 101 by Saice, on Flickr

Ok I know someone is going to say I just need to build the whole ship out of some hard to get metal because OMG it looks cool. Let me stress something here. When building large builds on survival sometimes it is better to go with something that looks good but is also cheap and easy to get. If you are going to need hundreds of blocks you going to want something that you can get large amounts of and that is farmable. After poking around I eneded up on the MFR white/black stone for that vary reason smooth stone is easy to come by and white and black dyes are both fairly easy to farm. About the only thing costly here is the steel casing which yes make sweet looking floor plates. So now that we got a chosen material... MOAR Mock ups.

So same 5/3/5 we had earlier only these are white/black stone paved blocks. I'm really like the white with black accents.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Welp, I guess the Starshoop Mk I is in its development phase...
I can only imagine Saice with the Engie's hat from TF2... that would be cool, actually.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ok more creative stuff... I warn you this is going to look really ugly. Working on layout is never pretty. But I figured I'd keep this whole showing the creative processing thing going.

So layouts if you want to have something nicer then a 9x9 you are going to be rebuilding a lot. So I tend to do a vary rough out in creative using wool. This gives me a good idea of scale. No this it not set in stone and this is all vary rough internal room layouts.

So the first thing we need to tackle is the boarding ramp which will connect directly to the cargo hold.

Derping the Derp by Saice, on Flickr

Once again multiple simple builds to see what I like.

Now to get a feel for height. Since this is going to be a ship it will have an outer skin so there will be an extra block. Also since it is going to be properly landed Its going to be up off the ground on some landing struts so I play with some wool to get a feel for things.

So we end up with something roughly 22 blocks tall. Counting the three decks their floor blocks, a outer skin, and some air under it all for landing gear. The blue is were floors will be and the red is were the skin will be.

So now off to rooms. The biggest room is going to be the the cargo hold so we rough that out first.

So we start with a 12 by 18 giving us 10 by 16 inside to work with. We also add a center shaft to the back for deck access. and look at it a bit.

Add some back end to the ship for unknown something (power maybe)

Then we rip it all apart and start over a few times until we get something roughly that we like

is this going to be the end of it? Oh no this is no where near what it will be like when it is done. But it gives me enough to get out of creative and go back to the real game and start collecting materials because I now have a good idea of scale and can get to work building an actual frame and stuff in the real game. Sure I blew a few hours on this whole mucking about in creative. But there is something I think that a lot of people over look. This time is not wasted. I find a lot of times people do not build new stuff or try new things is because they don't want to waste time and resources only to have it come out looking like crap. And in survival you don't want to spend hour crafting stuff and then end up not liking it and throwing it in a chest never to see the light of day again. So spending some time in creative you can play around and mix and match things until you got something you like. And the bonus to this is you even will know roughly how much stuff your going to need.

Anyways its going to take me some time to collect all the materials I need. So lots of mining to be done.

Reactions: Lambert2191

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
No GregTech for awhile to be honest. I'll probably still to TE and Tinkers for my early game

Tinker's for early game is so much fun. Revel in your bronze age technology.

And remember that nearly every block we have works as a microblock. That tech-ish mini-room I showed you? ALL microblocks because nether quartz is modestly expensive and I was in a hurry.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, and Shoop. We're about to get yet more building blocks with DartCraft, and Ethereal Glass exists and looks a lot like a forcefield.
When you say Ethereal Glass exists, does that mean I should be able to see in in NEI right now? Or is it not visible there? I don't know how to dartcraft.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I want to join this server too but it seemed full so I joined the second one (European One), theres only about 4 or 5 people who play on it though.

Anyways good design Saice, I'm too lazy to build my house in creative first. I just build and end up regretting it

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive me for quoting something from a page ago, but what's a clocked fabricator?

Ars Magica has these Equivalent-exchange like things that can produce a lot of base materials. We have automated systems that automatically produce/refine detritus such as cobble and use that to continuously fabricate metals and gems and other basic materials. It helps enormously for building.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magica has these Equivalent-exchange like things that can produce a lot of base materials. We have automated systems that automatically produce/refine detritus such as cobble and use that to continuously fabricate metals and gems and other basic materials. It helps enormously for building.
Oh, then yes, now I understand. Very useful, those Magic Fabricators.
Except with all the Deficit they generate now when you fabricate things(100 per run). But I do love the new mechanics on the Light Nexus for making it go faster.