rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel & Bits is amazing. I can't wait to see what you can do with that. I've been putting Architecturecraft through its paces, and although it's missing a few pieces that would make it whole, most of the pieces that Carpenter's Blocks offered are covered (all of the corners are in, missing a few connective pieces of rounded blocks). The only notable missing features are Collapsible Blocks ( I'm finding that Chisel and Bits can actually fill that role decently in most cases) and the Side Covers you covered a few posts back..

So far as mod versioning and stability, 1.7 is hands down superior for now. There have been some statements suggesting that 1.12 will be a longer plateau than anything 1.8+ so far, and the update from 1.10->1.11->1.12 seems to be pretty simple and stable so far. Hopefully things will calm down here for a bit to provide a stable modding/pack building environment before 1.13 comes along to break things.

Doesn't matter to me where you build, your worlds always look amazing. Hopefully the RL events pulling you away are joyful ones.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Chisel & Bits is amazing. I can't wait to see what you can do with that. I've been putting Architecturecraft through its paces, and although it's missing a few pieces that would make it whole, most of the pieces that Carpenter's Blocks offered are covered (all of the corners are in, missing a few connective pieces of rounded blocks). The only notable missing features are Collapsible Blocks ( I'm finding that Chisel and Bits can actually fill that role decently in most cases) and the Side Covers you covered a few posts back..

So far as mod versioning and stability, 1.7 is hands down superior for now. There have been some statements suggesting that 1.12 will be a longer plateau than anything 1.8+ so far, and the update from 1.10->1.11->1.12 seems to be pretty simple and stable so far. Hopefully things will calm down here for a bit to provide a stable modding/pack building environment before 1.13 comes along to break things.

Doesn't matter to me where you build, your worlds always look amazing. Hopefully the RL events pulling you away are joyful ones.
I didn't think C&B could do slopes as well.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't do slopes, exactly, but if your grade is low enough, the gradual step up one bit at a time does a decent job of covering things. It's not perfect, but it's an option.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It doesn't do slopes, exactly, but if your grade is low enough, the gradual step up one bit at a time does a decent job of covering things. It's not perfect, but it's an option.
Yeah, in this case I'm actually thinking more about the aesthetics. rhn's corridors for instance look really great with real slopes.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, in this case I'm actually thinking more about the aesthetics. rhn's corridors for instance look really great with real slopes.
Well, Architecturecraft can handle the 45° angles no problem. It was more the tapered roofing (1 block rise every 2 blocks deep, etc) that I was using C+B to cover for. For instance, I have a project underway that has a 1/8 rise, so I was able to do one bit rise every eight bits (two bit rise per block) to make a very gradual slope. It's not as simple or smooth as using Collapsible Blocks, but given no better option, it was a workable solution.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, Architecturecraft can handle the 45° angles no problem. It was more the tapered roofing (1 block rise every 2 blocks deep, etc) that I was using C+B to cover for. For instance, I have a project underway that has a 1/8 rise, so I was able to do one bit rise every eight bits (two bit rise per block) to make a very gradual slope. It's not as simple or smooth as using Collapsible Blocks, but given no better option, it was a workable solution.
Works for me, great info, thanks.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I must say, the collapsible blocks were nice for doing a smooth, gently sloped roof, but as @Inaeo said, C&B can do a great job of standing in for that. That's what I'll be using methinks. And @rhn: one area where C&B hugely stands out is actually not in what it can do, but the tools it uses to make that easier for the player - the patterns/designs that you can set and apply to other blocks means that once you've done the hard work once, its actually very straightforward to duplicate that. This is a BIG time-saver, and turns C&B from an interesting curiosity into a genuinely useful and practical decorative mod.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I must say, the collapsible blocks were nice for doing a smooth, gently sloped roof, but as @Inaeo said, C&B can do a great job of standing in for that. That's what I'll be using methinks. And @rhn: one area where C&B hugely stands out is actually not in what it can do, but the tools it uses to make that easier for the player - the patterns/designs that you can set and apply to other blocks means that once you've done the hard work once, its actually very straightforward to duplicate that. This is a BIG time-saver, and turns C&B from an interesting curiosity into a genuinely useful and practical decorative mod.
Yeah if CB doesn't update, that definitely sounds like the way to go. Create patterns etc. for each kind of "slope" and other common used shapes.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A new destination has appeared at the train stations:
CPxzHE2.png

Flamingo Bay? What's that?

Let us try and see where it leads:
aHprxKg.png

Beach? Hmm

Arriving:
Ik92HXj.png

Train station is down to the right.

Apparently there is a bar with a strange name:
TfuhSgp.png

In two levels:
UTInmvN.png

Found out that the Lumium lamps can exist unsupported. Cannot be placed, but you can remove the support afterwards. Worked out great for the hanging lamps here.

Outside there is an open-air stage and picnic area:
0cziMoK.png

Source of the name perhaps?
C6Cy5ZG.png

Hmm something is fishy here...

Beach:
rRhpb95.png

The clutter on the beach had me a bit puzzled. I had originally planned to use Dead Leaves, but those could not be placed on Sand. So ended up with Vines applied to Carpenter's Blocks. Looks a bit like seaweed I suppose :p

People spending the day on the beach:
ldsMlCm.png

Collapsible blocks are wonderful for tents/parasols/straw roofs.

And nights at the nearby bar:
mIR4fXH.png

(using CustomNPCs night feature to make them seek shelter at night)

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have been working a bit more on the farms.
2Q91uMF.png

I swear, it is just for string!
Built four new greenhouses on some of the previously added multifarm plots.

ybN4ZGJ.png

Actually only 7 of the Multifarm plots have an actual Multifarm. The 4 middle and 3 of the greenhouses. Rest are just cosmetic.
The strange looking dark greenhouse is built with Dark Glass to allow growth of Netherwarts, Red and Brown mushrooms(Agricraft). Original idea was to add Lapis Lamps inside to visually illuminate it, but turned out that they only allow mob spawns, not crops. :(

Build some small gardener trucks to get around the farms:
c3T6JIq.png

Build it entirely of carpenters blocks, except the rollbar(microblocks) and wheels(Armourers Workshop "Block"), so it could copied with BC Builder.
As a result of these small trucks, much of the stairs etc. around the farms had to be redone with slopes, because OCD :p

Also made one picking up honey etc. from the bees:
qbqMSD1.png

Just had to replace the sides of the bed with Microblocks and it can then carry loose goods like drums and cargo crates :)

I have also expanded and finished up the factory part of the farms:
dzx08vV.png

Original idea had set aside most of this area for potential MFR farm areas. But as it turns out I really don't need them. The Multifarms do pretty much everything I need, so I used the space for something different.
I have continued the cargo transport system from the rest of the build, connecting it up with the roads and adding some loading areas for both regular and tanker containers.

The two smaller buildings contain a chicken coop:
EipoINh.png

And shearing shed for sheep:
qSUBx2N.png

The inside of the main building also got some attention.

Truck unloading plant matter for Ethanol:
bQ0vKHo.png

Think I might have shown this before, but the blue structure on the right contains a Forestry Fermenter. The one just barely in the shot on the left has 6 Stills. I am not using the Forestry Ethanol for power, but rather all the Binnies bee machinery.

I also moved and tidied up a couple of Rotarycraft machines:
e4OnwQc.png

These respectively contains Lubricant and Sludge(Ethanol crystals) production, which powers the Rocket fuel production.

The main reason to tidy the interior up was that I wanted to add a Biofuel production from Immersive Engineering:
Mzc9fRm.png

Since the Forestry setup only really runs occasionally after demand, I still had lots of overflow from the farms. So I decided to make use of it to produce some renewable power(actually I managed to set up the two setups to use mutually exclusive items only, and I populated the farms with more crops :p).
Both Fermenter and Squeezer receives materials from overflow from the AE network(storage bus with priority set between main storage and recyclers). I stuck a RFtools crafter under the squeezer, so it automatically makes seeds of Wheat and Pumpkins.
In this version of IE it only has the "ugly" 3x3x3 Fermenter and Industrial Squeezer, not even Soartex'ified. So hid them away a bit.
The Refinery fits in pretty well, so left that as it is.

And now you have probably guessed, need to use that Biofuel:
1asjLVB.png

Have added a brand new building just for that purpose.
(you can see the front of the truck that drops of plant materials for the Ethanol)

Inside a pair of Diesel Generators:
Cwh6IRP.png

Honestly, they don't really fit in with the slightly futuristic theme I aimed for. But thought the models were interesting enough to let them be shown. Added some pipes and ducts to make them fit in better.

On a bit other topic, I recently put into a feature that was planned since the very beginning, namely the service tunnels between bunker and tower:
SG8Eztw.png

Original idea was to run power, ME etc. through these tunnels, if not really then cosmetically. The shear distance made me opt for Quantum bridge and Tesseracts pretty early, so now this feature is purely cosmetic. I did try to incorporate ME and some sort of power conduit into the construction of it with the glowing conduit and Chisel "ME Controller" blocks. Also just love the textures of those IE Steel scaffolds ;)
This is on the tower end, where the conduits and whatnot turns goes up through the tower(not really, it ends here, but just above is the ME hub).

Exposed section in the pit at the centre of the tower:
PMluW0l.png

The majority of the tunnel walls, conduits, wires etc. were done with the BC builder. I tried to pick materials and blocks to allow it it to be completely done with Builder, but ended up still having to manually add the cyan lamps. Quite a bit of work first feeding the Builder, and then adding lamps...
This stretch also carries the two dense ME cables for the Bee and farm area.
The bottom of the pit at the centre of the tower is still a bit unfinished, hence the stone and granite showing.

When I was almost done I had the idea to run the tunnel off to the Space Centre's Data centre:
qakCFXr.png

So made this junction.
But I quickly lost courage when I saw how far there was to the Space Centre. Almost as far as the longest stretch on the main line... So in the above pic you can probably notice that the far tunnel fades to darkness. Removed some lamps and built a black wall to give the appearance of the tunnel going off into the distance :p

Lastly a map showing all the new additions(as well as the beach from last):
gHPys62.png

Pasted in a cave-mode shot of the service tunnels. Top right is the tower, bottom left is the ME hub of the bunker. You can also see where the tunnel to the space centre fades out :p

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
With the increasing fleet of aircraft, it became necesary to expand facilities for them in the airport hangar:
o6DglzS.png

Left is the old part. Boarding platforms for passenger flights. One local flights(among my different bases), one public(to other players).
On the right the new part: Hangar space and repair shop.

New access tunnel for pilots and mechanics so they don't have to cross the runway:
vvtmzDC.png

It also finally dawned on me how to make something better than the ugly lead ramp leading up to the waiting room. Once again Carpenters Blocks cover system to the rescue ;)

The tunnel leads under the runway and up on the other side:
6aCG9Cq.png

Stairway comes up in the little "hut" in the middle.

This new section can now store up to six aircraft:
IOEH3t3.png

Made possible by stacking vertically with lifts. One side currently lowered.
Technically I have more aircraft built out in the world than there is room for. But if we imagine that each "route" is the same craft just arrived at each stop, it adds up to 3 aircraft out and about :p Two for the local and public flights(those across the runway among other places), and one cargo carrier delivering containers to/from the mob farms.

In the back:
ArNL9C8.png

Workshops for aircraft maintenance and small office.

Right side:
Ry7y6fY.png

Various manufacturing equipment.

Left side:
GGJVv1V.png

Currently working on one of the turbines of a craft(its really a Turbine and Microturbine from RoC :))

I

ImportedExported

@rhn What modpack is this all in? I know that your first like 100 posts on this thread were of Monster although idk if you changed modpacks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn What modpack is this all in? I know that your first like 100 posts on this thread were of Monster although idk if you changed modpacks.
I updated the very first post a long time ago to have links to each new world. The first post of each new world should also contain information about the pack, changes I made etc.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
This is the post that describes the pack used, but it's a slightly modified version of the Nuts and Boltz pack.

EDIT: timing...

Reactions: rhn

Miimmi

Jul 29, 2019
Allright, hope this works:
Monster world save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0phrdkfsphysj1v/Monster 021014.rar?dl=0
(really don't know if you can bring this back to life btw. Certain things were acting mighty strange when I gave up on it)
Be sure to look up the thread where I explain which mods have been added/removed.

TPPI world save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k5k0sn3cktc92k/TPPI 240315.rar?dl=0
Config folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7s3mbkstybflftc/TPPI config.rar?dl=0

Added mods:
ATG-1.6.4-0.9.5
ChickenChunks 1.3.3.4
Enchiridion-1.6.4-1-1
Highlands2.1.7_MC1.6.4
Mariculture-1.6.4-1.2.2f
Random_Things_v._1.9__MC_1.6.4_

Removed:
Advancedgenetics
AM2
Botania
DartCraft
Dimensional Anchors
eirairc
Gendustry
HardcoreEnderExpansion
InfernalMobs
Morph
Witchery

I have not done anything specific to make it easier to find the base in the TPPI world. I have currently "frozen" the save as I am in the middle of moving it over to a server(going a bit slow as I have been sick and I am a complete newbie at it :p) so rather not mess around with having multiple versions of it floating around.

This download file isn't available anymore. Could you make a new one or is there a new one?