rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
How about if the entire area north of the river was a big industrial docks region, with huge piers out into the water. Lots of creosote wood and asphalt.... or one large mega tanker that doubles as main fluid storage?
My plan is to have a cargo port. Tied together with the bunkers cargo container "network", the farms and some landing pads for those cargo aircraft I made earlier(like at the mob spawning site).
There is a slight roleplaying problem with that since the only rivers leading away from that big "lake" are quite small and narrow, but meh..

Also dabbled with the idea of setting up personnel(player) transport boats to Middleclaw's and Yusunoha's place. But might skip that since I am really the only one still playing :p
Maybe I will make a beach area for my citizens instead!

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
My plan is to have a cargo port. Tied together with the bunkers cargo container "network", the farms and some landing pads for those cargo aircraft I made earlier(like at the mob spawning site).
There is a slight roleplaying problem with that since the only rivers leading away from that big "lake" are quite small and narrow, but meh..

Also dabbled with the idea of setting up personnel(player) transport boats to Middleclaw's and Yusunoha's place. But might skip that since I am really the only one still playing :p
Maybe I will make a beach area for my citizens instead!
yeah, I got bitten by the 1.10.2 bug. But have been thinking of coming back sometime.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

May I suggest TnT for terraforming larger rivers? *evil grin*

Make yourself a Minecraft Panama Canal or something similar ::)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
One of the first things I built in this world was the AE centre in the tower. It has been in a rough state of simply working for way too long, so about time to fix it up a bit:

Auto crafting clusters:
z3tziLc.png

It uses those Interface+Assembler clusters I posted a while back. Each tower has two clusters with 12 interfaces and 38 assemblers.
Oh I also added doors to the elevator in the middle :p Put a player detector block in to open/close the doors when approaching/coming down the elevator.

The Controller:
J2IfDcE.png

The amount of Dense Energy Cells are primarily there for cosmetic reasons. One is usually more than enough :p

Crafting CPUs:
I0C2Zpg.png

The number of CPUs are probably overkill. But the amount fitted the location nicely.
There is an Extra Cells fluid crafter stack behind the others.

The floor above also got a bit of a facelift:
Jc1JMZR.png

Rearranged some cables to make bigger doors for the elevator and added the door here too.

The long walkways stretching out from the tower also got a bit of a facelift:
WGnEuCX.png

This one leads off to the Space Centre.

YVou7HC.png

This one leads towards the ocean(harbour/beach maybe).
You can just make out the doors to the AE hub in the distance.

As a bonus pic I have played around with getting a shot of the whole tower area:
dWnYsn5.png

Was rather difficult, even with 32 chunk view distance :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
holy crap. I just saw this stuff for the first time. I am not worthy, lol
If you haven't looked at rhn's stuff before, you're in for a treat.

Actually that reminds me: @rhn, if you're ever feeling super-not-lazy, it might be neat if you made imgur albums of your various bases (since otherwise the images tend to be sprinkled throughout dozens of pages of kudos)

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Just a small update to say I am still planning on finishing this build of mine even after all my health issues (and the 1.10.2 virus). So I present to you a small build update on the central tower. The Observation Deck.

This was the design last time I built something. Ignore the coloured glass as I was testing some ideas.
2017-05-23_21.22.25.png

Now here is the Observation Deck as it stands with still the furniture to go in.
2017-05-23_21.04.56.png

Quite a change indeed. I raised and extended the forks of the spires a bit to compensate for the positioning of the Observation Deck.

A couple of close-ups of the external structure
(Top)
2017-05-23_21.05.18.png

(Bottom)
2017-05-23_21.08.19.png

Ignore the stuff floating in the middle, That was so the resources I needed to do the build were close at hand.

An interrior shot. As you can see, it is yet to be decorated.
2017-05-23_21.00.25.png

A view from an interrior window looking across the center.
2017-05-23_21.00.51.png

Parting shot of the Observation Deck from ground level.
2017-05-23_21.10.20.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Actually that reminds me: @rhn, if you're ever feeling super-not-lazy, it might be neat if you made imgur albums of your various bases (since otherwise the images tend to be sprinkled throughout dozens of pages of kudos)
Yeah I kinda wish I made albums with pics of everything once I decided each world was finished. I do have albums of some, but specially miss the 1.6.4 TPPI world. Monster world was a bit crap. I will make absolutely sure to make one for the current world. Once that time arrives.

Album of a few of my worlds:
1.7.10 TPPI2 castle world: http://imgur.com/a/9JCJR
1.5.2 Giant redwood build: http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
Also link to these on the first page of this thread.

I do have all the images from this thread on imgur, but some of the builds are spread over multiple accounts(they used to have a number of pics limit for free accounts). And it is a mix of pics of WiP and half finished stuff. If I do feel "super-not-lazy" I could try and boot up the old worlds and see if I can remember all the stuff to take pictures of. But no guarantees on that ever happening :p

Reactions: Pyure and Inaeo

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
As is often the case, checking out your latest adventures gives me the desire to play MC again. Your builds are fantastic. :)

I was just wondering, how do you handle mods that aren't supported by Soartex? I want to use it for my current project, but there are a few notable magic mods such as embers which aren't currently supported by it. Not sure if you've ever come across this issue much, but you seem a fairly knowledgeable sort, so I thought you may have some advice. :)

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
I cannot speak for Rhn in this subject, But I use Faithful 32z as a backup Resource Pack. it may be a bigger version of Vanilla but it is four times the vanilla resolution and makes it fit in better with Soartex than plain vanilla textures. I've even gone as far as making my own custom "Soartexified" textures to some of the items/blocks not covered by both resourcepacks to make them fit in. The textures for the Chisel mod (1&2) being one example.

As this world is set in the 1.7.10 era of Minecraft, we do not have to worry about mods like Embers ruining the Soartex look.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: rhn

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot speak for Rhn in this subject, But I use Faithful 32z as a backup Resource Pack. it may be a bigger version of Vanilla but it is four times the vanilla resolution and makes it fit in better with Soartex than plain vanilla textures. I've even gone as far as making my own custom "Soartexified" textures to some of the items/blocks not covered by both resourcepacks to make them fit in. The textures for the Chisel mod (1&2) being one example.

As this world is set in the 1.7.10 era of Minecraft, we do not have to worry about mods like Embers ruining the Soartex look.

Hope that helps.

Faithful makes sense. :) And I was just using Embers as an example mod that's causing problems in my case, of course there are different outliers in 1.7, but they're there. :) (Chisel is actually a good example, as I've never encountered a texture pack that covers it) does faithful have textures for Chisel? If so, that'd solve a few problems for me. In any case, thanks for the info! :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As is often the case, checking out your latest adventures gives me the desire to play MC again. Your builds are fantastic. :)

I was just wondering, how do you handle mods that aren't supported by Soartex? I want to use it for my current project, but there are a few notable magic mods such as embers which aren't currently supported by it. Not sure if you've ever come across this issue much, but you seem a fairly knowledgeable sort, so I thought you may have some advice. :)
Up until now I have pretty much being doing this, in preferred order:
  1. Look for textures from other packs similar and adding those.
  2. Hide the offending blocks as best possible.
  3. Ignore it if it doesn't stand out too much.
  4. Decide to simply not use the item/block/mod.
In some cases there is really no good solution. This has caused me to not use/use less of mods that were not covered.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Seems like a never ending task to fill out the empty floors in the tower. But a while back I did manage to fill out another floor.

XLRBR6W.png

The floor just below the "heli-pad" is my new Armoury.

Since it contains weapons and other dangerous equipment, some security is in order:
bRpjxvh.png

Like most other floors it has the open middle with view up and down the tower:
t5XW3fB.png

Added some familiar looking decoration to the middle of the tower.

One side of the tower is dedicated to weapons development:
OoGZSqF.png

Contains workshop with tools and necessary equipment:
AneIjR3.png

(The ME chests store all my MO guns and parts)

vbg1Xih.png

Bit of manufacturing equipment for making parts.

The upstairs of the weapons lab contains storage, a small office and a test firing range:
Nvb0tEu.png

Located next to the weapons lab is a recharging station for gear and equipment:
ttnSs39.png

Each booth will recharge both RF and EU based equipment.
In the back I have my setups for recharging equipment "on the go". This includes my Ultimate Lappack(automatically extracted from my inventory, recharged and put back), as well as various RF based tools from my tool Ender Pouch(Resonant Exchanger, MO shotgun etc.).

The other side of the tower has the armoury and a armour lab:
8Xd07LQ.png

Inside the Armoury:
MrgcoIp.png

x86o0wW.png

Lots of lockers and crates for armour and weapons.

Upstairs has more storage for tools, ammo and other things:
kd4t5Gh.png

Next door in the armour lab:
gZBSggK.png

Maintenance of various power suits.

"Printing" a new chest piece:
nfQjf8j.png

Upstairs there is storage and office similar to the other places.

Had a bit of space left, so added a meeting room:
7POo6JC.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Outside the bunker I have been working on finishing the cargo transport route that I started building very early on:
8qhg5Tp.png

This area now contains a temporary storage area for containers:
rxA5f9u.png

One of the trucks just (un)loading a container.

It also ties in the research lab with the rest of the build by having landing areas for the VTOL cargo carriers:
ELoEFAW.png

Just down the road towards the waterfront we have the new harbour:
FeltMnW.png

Continuing the transport route there is also now cargo ships:
w97aKS0.png

2i5Nrok.png

The fact that the carpenters water feature doesn't work in this version causes the bottom of the ships to be a bit simplistic :p I hate gaps in the water.

The robotic crane automatically loads and unloads containers and deposits them in nearby bays for pickup by trucks:
24zQBxH.png

In addition to cargo, the harbour also has a port for personnel transport:
rUQBW0c.png

Walkway:
g1oOJlo.png

On this shot you can also spot a new tunnel for the train network(right side), since the port now has it own station.
The "lighthouse" also features prominently.

Security checkpoint and train station:
O5oL6rf.png

Since this is on the outer security perimeter, people has to pass through a checkpoint before being allowed into the base. Be it on foot or by train.

The deck:
c02rVcx.png

The port has births for 3 boats(2 of them in atm ;))

Captain greeting passengers:
c9TjZcd.png

Idea is that this will form a transport network with other places around the map(still in planning phase). Travel will happen by CustomNPC transporters, just like the flight network I built earlier.

Upstairs in the observation "dome" is waiting room and a small cafe:
fbJs4KN.png

NmJsZnI.png

As a bonus, map showing all the new features:
O6HVrQk.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Love this, thanks so much @rhn.
In future releases it might be neat if you occasionally explained how you pulled off a particularly nice aesthetic, particularly if you learn new tricks :)

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
In future releases it might be neat if you occasionally explained how you pulled off a particularly nice aesthetic, particularly if you learn new tricks :)
I will keep that in mind, despite most of it just being old tricks in new combinations :p
Don't be shy to ask about things, either here or on Twitch. Many "tricks" are things I figured out years ago, so I might take them for granted.

One of the things that I have sort of rediscovered lately, is the Carpenter's blocks "Side Covers". I originally kinda dismissed it, feeling it was nothing that I couldn't do with microblocks instead. And because of this I have completely ignored them until recently.

By using different materials for main and side blocks, you can create all kinds of interesting effects:
Hsedfxp.png

The side covers can even exist in the blockspace of another adjacent block, allowing you to put things closer than otherwise possible:
9QKX9xO.png

Both the slope on the left and flamingo on the right can be in the same block as the side cover.

Also works with microblocks:
hN6VNMT.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn, is this still a 1.7.10 world? Outta curiosity, do 1.10.2 packs have most of the tools you'd need to do similar work?
Yeah this is still 1.7.10

The biggest loss I see atm is Carpenters blocks. Sure chisel can somewhat be used instead, and architecturecraft has a limited amount of the features. But just don't think it will be feasible to build on this large scales without it. But might also have to scale down in the future because of RL :p

Also it seems a mess with which mods are updated/stable across 1.10-1.11. 1.12 looks/sounds promising, but future will tell.