rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there a download file from these buildings?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Do you mean a world download? I will probably do one later when things are less... WIP.

The buildings are all "rhn originals", I design them mostly in my head and as I go along, and build them manually.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Bit of a mini side-build:
I am currently working on something that requires a lot of tracks(Railcraft). And the Rolling Machine is a bit boring and its size doesn't at all fit its role of "rolling" metal. I am sure we can do better than that :p

HMu2Xhp.png

RHiRPyt.png

h432cuL.png

k4DUeRJ.png

I put the Rolling Machines under the construction as I never did find a good way to incorporate them directly lol :p But perhaps...

EDIT:
Y2R254N.png

Better. Eight Rolling machines now inside those piston thingies :p

It is sort of missing the foundry part which smelts/heats the metal before rolling. I am thinking about how I can incorporate some other machines into that(perhaps TiCo Smeltery, RoC Pulse Jet Furnace).

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have recently spent a great deal of time creating a Railcraft train network throughout my base(s):
yODIOWv.png

Primarily designed for player transport.

As a backbone for it I have created a ComputerCraft script to allow choosing the destination on a touch-screen monitor. It uses the Openperipheral Ticket Machine to create tickets for the Railcraft Routing system.

The main script can be found here: http://pastebin.com/aWjpZeC0
The script uses a list of stations downloaded from pastebin as well: http://pastebin.com/tFC4W3H4
I suggest making copies of both if you decide to use it. Add your custom stations to the stations list, and add url of this to the main script.

The script will auto detect Monitors and Ticket machine either adjacent or on wired modem. Upon first run you will be asked to the current station from the list.

Imgur album describing setup further: http://imgur.com/a/5qEHA

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
While making the Railcraft Train network I ran into the problem of running trains up/down Elevator Tracks without getting occasional unlinking(locomotive keeps going, cart left behind).
I was unable to find a guide on how to pull it off, so once I found a solution myself I decided to share it.

The description on how I did it can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/lg5HT

mlane16

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to pop in and say thank you rhn for making this thread. I been lurking for a long time and your journal has always been a favorite of mine. (* ^ ω ^) (≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I hate to self-promote, especially on someone else's channel, but I've used it a lot on my Let's Play of Minecraft on my channel. (Link in my Signature.)

Okay, enough of that. rhn, any idea how hard it'd be to transfer that script to Open Computers?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Okay, enough of that. rhn, any idea how hard it'd be to transfer that script to Open Computers?
I have zero experience with Opencomputers. But I do know that it has a Ticket Machine of its own, so it is doable.
You probably only want to take some inspiration from my script. The code matches my coding skills, which are pretty terrible :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Holy crap, rhn, your builds are amazing. Do you have any plans to do stuff with ReactorCraft in the future?
I had planned to do both Reactor and Electicraft this world. But I am now a bit concerned about the performance impact. Also I don't really know what I would use the power for tbh.
So I don't really know if I want to add something that I doesn't really need, but would probably make performance worse.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Crazy thought... and very inefficient material wise. Nothing says you have to turn on a reactorcraft reactor. Maybe incorporate the parts into a build. Crazy but has potential for your wonderful designs.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Crazy thought... and very inefficient material wise. Nothing says you have to turn on a reactorcraft reactor. Maybe incorporate the parts into a build. Crazy but has potential for your wonderful designs.
I might do it towards the end of the world ;)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Reika's mods are pretty well optimised, chances are you'll have no noticeable performance impact from using them.
(if you decide not to power them up- the engine models themselves look pretty awesome. RoC itself doesn't have worldgen features, so you should be able to drop it in without issue if you want fancy decoration)​

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Reika's mods are pretty well optimised, chances are you'll have no noticeable performance impact from using them.
(if you decide not to power them up- the engine models themselves look pretty awesome. RoC itself doesn't have worldgen features, so you should be able to drop it in without issue if you want fancy decoration)​
Yeah I am not implying that RoC is any worse than anything else. Pretty sure Reika knows his shit. Problem is that lots and lots of even well optimised things add up. And the rather large setup and logistics to support something like a reactor(that I don't really see the need for, I dont even know what it should be powering) will surely be a factor when added to everything else I have going on.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have lately only been playing a bit on and off(mostly off), so not had a whole lot of big progress. It has mostly been a bit here and there, but it does kinda add up after this long.

First off, quite a bit has happened on the large scale of the build:
Very early map:
53gM3VW.png

This is from the time of my noob cave and first started building a bit with cobble.

A lot has happened compared to the current map:
ca0Dd2J.png

Biggest change visible from this view is probably the extension of the stream and the new big lake.

The seed had created an almost closed canyon to the east. It was perfect for a water reservoir. First problem however was the "almost closed" part :p So as usual I had to fix "nature":
Eg9z8F3.png

Turned out mostly indistinguishable from the natural spawns I think. Mostly hollow however, but who cares.

Then came the task of clearing trees and bushes from the canyon, before finally I could start filling in the water:
ddNNcOD.png

I probably underestimated the shear volume of the canyon, so with 4 flood gates it was still painfully slow. I ended up filling it manually(with the help of the "new" water mechanics) with a Rod of the Seas from Botania. Simply flew round the canyon and clicked the outer edge layer by layer. The water mechanics quickly filled in the rest.

On the other side of the canyon I removed some material to create a gap for dam:
iVbhFkT.png

I could not resist adding some Drawbridges and switches to make it possible to open/close the locks on top of the dam.

Complete with intake for hydroelectric plant:
xmzzbWl.png

Tried to mimic the landscape around the damn as a now mostly dried out river bed:
Fe8agSk.png

Also visible is the new hydroelectric plant and the pipes leading to the intake in the lake.

Seen from further down the valley:
mBfNvzo.png

The overflow and the "spent" turbine water joins back up here too.

3R0g0Fm.png

Built a couple of turbines inside. Purely cosmetic. At least at this point...

The stream then drains out into a small pond:
WFSKC90.png

Added a little dock for recreational boat rides.

The stream then continues out towards the ocean, passing by the outer circle of the tower:
rXfwHtw.png

Oops, bit unfinished :(
As you might have noticed on the maps there was a stream/river here from start. However it was much higher up and originated out of nowhere on the top of the hill. The oddly unfinished dome was half buried in the terrain before. To make it fit the rest I had to lower it considerably, practically building the river from scratch.

At the river mouth I added a light/observation tower.
6TVATtg.png

I have plans to build a harbour area to match it. Not sure if it is going to be located on the peninsula(formed by ocean and river) or down in the cove behind this pic. Maybe even both. Passenger one place, industrial the other. More on that when I figure it out :p

Back over at the pond I added some animal farms:
f0eudcE.png

K7cyv69.png

As the rest this far out from the tower, it is purely cosmetic. The cows are even CustomNPCs with minimal AI, making them respawning and not derping around like vanilla. Sadly could not find a model for the sheep in CustomNPCs, so those are just regular Name Tag'ed sheep.

Both animals and citizens need food. So very large fields of crops:
iMoJJtG.png

I do greatly hope they stop "ticking" when the crops are full grown :p If not then they are not loaded and somewhat out of loading range. Most of the time...

Finally I built a prototype of this little <roleplay some reason to have animals in smaller houses> house:
C6o0OfK.png

It is meant to replace the greenhouse type buildings(seen behind it) that I don't really have a use for. This one shears sheep for wool. Will probably use the others for different animals that can be sheared/milked/produce random drops.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
How about if the entire area north of the river was a big industrial docks region, with huge piers out into the water. Lots of creosote wood and asphalt.... or one large mega tanker that doubles as main fluid storage?

Reactions: Celestialphoenix