rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I were simply saying my general gotos. Things like Gather core golems are my more - flexible slots. The more varied the items are, the more speed matters over carry count. That said... I tend to forgo the gather golem entirely in favor of the hopperhock...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm of the opinion that sticking within the mod is better than mixing mods, unless you're specifically after mod mixing. The more mods you have to jam in, the more difficult it is to get them all working properly. Except for AE, which just seems to work with everything.

Personally, I'd have filtered the golems, so one picked saplings and the other picked up wood and dumped it into a magic mirror. But that's just me.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
New year have started, and I have a lot of slack from the old one to catch up on :p

Couple new buildings that I spoiled earlier:
UipJ78d.png

The smithy and the warehouse.

Put in a few things to decorate the smithy area:
mGJKxuq.png

Some of them functional too.

Inside a Tinkers smeltery:
qxtQIuH.png

Had some trouble getting the molten metal export/import setup working as I wanted to due to apparently no fluid pipe having redstone controllable inputs any more. Ended up getting it to work with 2x redstone controlled exports(one on smeltery, one on a tank) and then using Retrievers(pulling from the tank) on the Faucets(also triggered by redstone). Flicking the lever will then respectively pull metal from smeltery to tank to faucets, and return it to tank and to smeltery.

Inside the warehouse is... all my wares :p
sRL5Pqv.png

No I don't have a lot of Torches :p I used torches to lock the Drawers so the Drawer controller cannot input anything else into them ;)

AyLDzfI.png

First floor:
vh3MqPi.png

I decided it was time to start ME and I am using my usual Priority sorting system. The Storage Drawers stands in for the Bulk storage(Highest priority in the network)(there are a few Drives hidden upstairs too for some random disks). With one Storage Bus on the Drawer Controller it is easy on the channels and I quite like having the physical presence of it in this theme.

Bottom left is the Random item storage in the form of 5x ME chests. This is where all the random unformatted/unfiltered junk goes. This is the lowest priority in the network with the chests staggered from 2 and up(I don't use 1 so any newly placed device is always lower).

2nd floor/the attic:
PlaZ5Cy.png

Hid all the unsightly stuff away up here.
To the left is a Compression setup using Compression Drawers. The drawers are connected to a Controller which are hooked up to a Storage bus. It is set to a priority just under the bulk storage, so it only compress the overflow. The Drawer Controller also allows to expand the setup with as many different compression setups as I could imagine.

Middle is a simple Item deletion setup. This is set to priority just under the compression setup. Currently just dumping to a Trash Bin. Should probably send to a condenser.

To control and utilize it all I set up a very basic ME devices:
cKDDEBO.png

Controller, Quarry input, Enderchest input and remote orderer connection to tool chest(Logistic pipes obscured behind enderchests).

gDICdZZ.png

And a bit of autocrafting.

Needed a bit of power for it all:
k1YIFAt.png

I really could not stay in the medieval theme for all this, but chose the boiler and IDEs because they are at least not super hightech. Nonetheless I dug a vault for this and the ME controller etc. beneath the cathedral so it is at least hidden out of the way. Still need the cosmetic touches though :p

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Do you have shadows disabled, or why does it look so shadow-less outside ? If its how vanilla mc look then i am sorry. (mostly play with shaders)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Do you have shadows disabled, or why does it look so shadow-less outside ? If its how vanilla mc look then i am sorry. (mostly play with shaders)
I do have shadows enabled, but I think I know what you mean. You are thinking on the interior shots of the warehouse. Problem is that roof is carpenters blocks(lets light through), the floors have holes, hidden cables with facades(lets light through) and microblock doors/hatches in the side walls(lets light through). Add that to the windows, the interior is quite brightly lit during the day :(

EDIT: Opened my eyes a bit further; Outside... Same thing I think, the Collapsible blocks on the smithy do not block light.

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
I do have shadows enabled, but I think I know what you mean. You are thinking on the interior shots of the warehouse. Problem is that roof is carpenters blocks(lets light through), the floors have holes, hidden cables with facades(lets light through) and microblock doors/hatches in the side walls(lets light through). Add that to the windows, the interior is quite brightly lit during the day :(

EDIT: Opened my eyes a bit further; Outside... Same thing I think, the Collapsible blocks on the smithy do not block light.

Actually i was talking about this shot:
As i can see shadows in begging of tunnel or just next to left wall, but apart from that it looks like shot at perfect midday with no shadows. I guess just lucky shot.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Actually i was talking about this shot:

As i can see shadows in begging of tunnel or just next to left wall, but apart from that it looks like shot at perfect midday with no shadows. I guess just lucky shot.
Well I don't play with shaders. So it is vanilla shadows. Think Optifine used to enhance them a bit, but had to disable that recently. So that is probably why. Think as long as it is daytime it just blankets everything that doesn't have sky obstructed with lightlevel 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: masterzh

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
No I don't have a lot of Torches :p I used torches to lock the Drawers so the Drawer controller cannot input anything else into them ;)
You can lock empty drawers with the drawer key and that prevents any items being automatically inserted (via controller or directly via pipe), but you can still manually add items to a locked empty drawer. This is great when you want to get a drawer wall set up before you fully populate it.

Stunning build BTW, wish I had a fraction of your building skills.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
You can lock empty drawers with the drawer key and that prevents any items being automatically inserted (via controller or directly via pipe), but you can still manually add items to a locked empty drawer. This is great when you want to get a drawer wall set up before you fully populate it.
I suggested this myself on the stream, but it turns out if they empty - piping into the controlled stuck items into the empty locked drawers anyway.

Reactions: rhn

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
I suggested this myself on the stream, but it turns out if they empty - piping into the controlled stuck items into the empty locked drawers anyway.
Really? That's never been my experience in multiple mod packs that I've used (Regrowth, Daybreaker, a couple of custom packs).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Stunning build BTW, wish I had a fraction of your building skills.
Indeed, if I dont lock the drawers with a certain item(no item needs to be present, it just needs to be locked to it) the controller will fill items into it. And they will then be locked to that item.

The locking behavior was revised in 1.5.3, and insertion priority was revised in 1.5.7. If the version in his pack is older, that would explain the difference of behavior.
That is good news! But yeah the pack is probably a few versions behind due to testing for bugs etc. before pushing out updates.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Again, I am terrible sorry about the scarce updating. I have been lazy, taking a break from minecraft, and then lazy again :p And doesn't help that the usual time I post updates is taking 20'ish minutes at some random time while playing the game, but that doesn't really feel right to do if I am streaming.

But lets get to it. Got a lot to show so this might be a two-parter.

Every castle needs serfs to demand taxes from:
swMc8ew.png

Or at least to feed its villagers and whatnot.

Every farming community needs a mill:
30Gx38V.png

I love the looks of the Immersive Engineering windmill, so building the mill was just obvious ;)
Ofc the miller needs a proper house too, and a bit of wheat(plan to plant a lot more all over once I have all the necessary crops settled first).

The pumpkin/melon farmer:
4Kd3NfY.png

He have done quite well for himself by managing to grow exotic Nether Wart for the castles mages, and have build a nice new house from the money.
Using the Blood Magic rituals to harvest and gather(I kept the top blocks of the Zephyr visible).

Bridge over the stream:
8x01HbA.png

Another large farmstead:
sWkc9JR.png

Potatoes, carrots, wheat and sugarcane.

rlqtn2n.png

Managed to get one harvest ritual to cover the entire area, but the Zephyr was not enough to gather it all. The sugarcane is therefore gathered by a Random Things "Advanced Item Collector". To hide it I built a little cart and put the Ender Chest its attached to on it as cargo ;)

This large farm needs a proper barn of course:
BfqAT2R.png

Lastly a little fisherman's hut:
gA6KMTj.png

Intended to put some sort of automatic fishing and ink sac gathering here, but not yet got around to deciding what.

The farms still need some animal husbandry areas for breading and slaughtering etc. The shearing of the sheep could also be dressed up a bit better. Also need to make some more fields out and around the place just for show, plant some fruit trees etc. Overall still need some work.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As promised part two of the update.

There have been some considerable improvements and changes on the castle mound since last.
teK91h4.png

I have semi-finished(ok not really, just worked more on it than just a rough layout) a part more of the wall:
Wf41fk0.png

Finally finished the last stretch of the collapsible blocks in the "gauntlet".

Added a little guardsman's hut:
3Ro52Kt.png

No use in those bowstrings getting wet in the rain!

Then I dabbled a bit in making a tower:
dzQr8xi.png

I don't know really... Need to grow on me some more before I decide on whether I finish it or not.

But probably the most prominent feature of the mountain now, is the cathedral:
yYv23v0.png

The front with its two towers and the main entrance.

Another angle of the front:
mFpSDVq.png

Made some little fenced off platforms on the towers with doors(not shown) for access etc. for realism.

Put in some windows along the vertical line in the roof:
RubEJbZ.png

Designed the roof with the vertical line and with those windows due to the fact that the carpenters slopes lets light through. Having some windows in the roof would then make it a little(just a tiny bit) less unrealistic that the floor would be so well lit at day.

Its not done yet of course. Still need more windows on the towers and sides. Also want to add more detailing of various kinds and there is some issued that needs to be fixed here and there. And of course the main tower off to its side needs to be built in the same style. But already I cant help myself but stop up and look at it when coming up towards the mountain from certain angles :p

Like this for example:
xrrQ2Wd.png

Couldn't help but decorate a bit inside the cathedral as well:
78DY6BL.png

Will be easier to do a proper job once I move all my junk out of there.

And as a bonus a pic of some new stuff I am experimenting with:
FRNNbAr.png

And no that building is not supposed to be made out of those cobble bricks ;) Its just a temporary mock-up.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I actually kind of like the cobble bricks. They've got a very nice weathered look, especially mixed amongst the standard bricks.

Having built an underwater house and used fencing for the walls, I have to admit they're pretty hard to beat as a squid farm. :p (Playing the excruciatingly fun Space Astronomy at the moment.)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Having built an underwater house and used fencing for the walls, I have to admit they're pretty hard to beat as a squid farm. :p
Its fun how little you need. A little bit of water at or below y-level 63, some clever use of the squids nature to seek down, some flowing water to trap them on land and something to pick up the remains and bingo :p

Reactions: KingTriaxx

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to see an update, looks awesome. I have a suggestion, maybe consider adding the Custom NPCs mod so you can add villagers and guards to liven the place up a bit. The low res textures on the NPCs might stand out a bit with your soartex pack though.