rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
what kind of block is your floor?
Which floor in particular are you referring to?
The majority of floors are made of Geostrata "Quartz" with a bit of Railcraft "Abyssal Block" details. With Soartex the Geostrata Quartz and MC Block off Quartz is identical(almost), which gives a lot of choices when it comes to microblock covers, facades etc.
The blue I used on the "enchanting area" is Chisel variants of "Lapis Lazuli block".
If you are thinking of the floor on the terrace it is Railcraft "Block of Coal Coke"

Suppressed

Jul 29, 2019
Which floor in particular are you referring to?
The majority of floors are made of Geostrata "Quartz" with a bit of Railcraft "Abyssal Block" details. With Soartex the Geostrata Quartz and MC Block off Quartz is identical(almost), which gives a lot of choices when it comes to microblock covers, facades etc.
The blue I used on the "enchanting area" is Chisel variants of "Lapis Lazuli block".
If you are thinking of the floor on the terrace it is Railcraft "Block of Coal Coke"

thank you! :).. very nice build you have there!..

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Al right, been a LOOOOOONG time since last update.

Deal is that I have been taking a break as I was beginning to get a bit burned out on the project and MC in general. But I recently felt a rekindling of the interest and wanted to get back to work on it.

Problem is however that the world is getting a bit unwieldy and performance is suffering. For example I have found out that I can suddenly no longer interact with Enhanced Portals GUIs without instantly crashing(works perfectly fine in any other world), which have put a complete halt to several projects in progress. FPS is also getting pretty low anywhere on the ship, which is a constant annoyance. I have also learned about several bad choices I have made along the way which are irreversible.

So (for now at least) I think I will do one last update, showing off the latest WIP projects before putting this world to rest(or hibernation for a later attempt).

Started making the lower levels in one of the wings:
ebokKLy.png

This was particular for housing automated animal farms:
6PUM4Ee.png

MFR breeders, Chronotyper, Grinder setups. Each animal type in a 7x7x7 cube system(with a small chute on one side for the transport of baby animals).

mJuX1Qd.png

MFR ranchers shearing 16 multicoloured sheep.

In the main tower at the central level I was building a main transport hub:
a4pCqiw.png

The portal is a Enhanced Portal portal which was supposed to be controlled from the little control room(the CC monitors). The Enhanced Portals GUI crash I encountered kinda put a stop to that...
(Obvious inspiration sources.)

Next to the portal room I designed a "Loadout" room.
KHIQvlS.png

Most of the contents of this room is just eye candy, but in the left corner I designed a "poor man's charge pad":
XaLn3xb.png

This setup is basically just a Router in Insert mode, inserting into 4x MFSUs.
Itemducts with Servos then take gear from the Armor Stand (Blacklisted fully charged gear), insert it into the router, which insert it into the MFSUs. Itemducts (with fully charged gear whitelisted) then pull the charged gear out and insert them back into the Armor Stand.
Hereby all I have to do is go up and Shift+click my armour into the stand and it will automatically be charged. I have also taken advantage of the setup to automatically pull my empty Ultimate Lappack (Gravisuite) out of my inventory(Random things Player Interface), charge it and return it. This means I can keep flying for ever with my GraviChest without ever worrying about running out of power.

Last edited:

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Al right, been a LOOOOOONG time since last update.

Deal is that I have been taking a break as I was beginning to get a bit burned out on the project and MC in general. But I recently felt a rekindling of the interest and wanted to get back to work on it.

Problem is however that the world is getting a bit unwieldy and performance is suffering. For example I have found out that I can suddenly no longer interact with Enhanced Portals GUIs without instantly crashing(works perfectly fine in any other world), which have put a complete halt to several projects in progress. FPS is also getting pretty low anywhere on the ship, which is a constant annoyance. I have also learned about several bad choices I have made along the way which are irreversible.

So (for now at least) I think I will do one last update, showing off the latest WIP projects before putting this world to rest(or hibernation for a later attempt).

Started making the lower levels in one of the wings:
ebokKLy.png

This was particular for housing automated animal farms:
6PUM4Ee.png

MFR breeders, Chronotyper, Grinder setups. Each animal type in a 7x7x7 cube system(with a small chute on one side for the transport of baby animals).

mJuX1Qd.png

MFR ranchers shearing 16 multicoloured sheep.

In the main tower at the central level I was building a main transport hub:
a4pCqiw.png

The portal is a Enhanced Portal portal which was supposed to be controlled from the little control room(the CC monitors). The Enhanced Portals GUI crash I encountered kinda put a stop to that...
(Obvious inspiration sources.)

Next to the portal room I designed a "Loadout" room.
KHIQvlS.png

Most of the contents of this room is just eye candy, but in the left corner I designed a "poor man's charge pad":
XaLn3xb.png

This setup is basically just a Router in Insert mode, inserting into 4x MFSUs.
Itemducts with Servos then take gear from the Armor Stand (Blacklisted fully charged gear), insert it into the router, which insert it into the MFSUs. Itemducts (with fully charged gear whitelisted) then pull the charged gear out and insert them back into the Armor Stand.
Hereby all I have to do is go up and Shift+click my armour into the stand and it will automatically be charged. I have also taken advantage of the setup to automatically pull my empty Ultimate Lappack (Gravisuite) out of my inventory(Random things Player Interface), charge it and return it. This means I can keep flying for ever with my GraviChest without ever worrying about running out of power.
You are one of the best modded builders I have seen on these forums, Sorry to see this go, but at least it was awesome!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I think I need to do a bit of discussion and form a conclusion on the project/world.

Probably the most significant choice was to build a flying base, instead of on the actual world. The original plan was to give a stunning view of the land below from everywhere on the base, but that never happened. One major problem was the choice of making the base in the shape of a spaceship and thereby having lots of glass windows/ceilings wouldn't really be structurally sound(which would bother me to no end!). Another was the big surprise that MC now doesn't render the entire vertical chunk, but only a certain Y-range. Being high up will then mean that it never loads the ground/ocean below. All this meant that I didn't really took advantage of the amazing landscape that ATG/BoP/Highlands/Mariculture supplied. This is probably my biggest regret and one I plan to rectify in my next world!

The scope of the project was really big. I don't have anything against that as such, but building up in the sky and building EVERYTHING from scratch means that everything looks unfinished until everything is done. The fixed shape of the ship also meant that I had to spend a LOT of time building the basic shape first, and then for months stare and the empty unfinished shell. Will definitely put more weight on a more gradually expandable base in the future. Building in/on a natural landscape will also mean that until you actually build something, the landscape is there to "fill the void".

I actually came to this project with the express desire to spread out machines/reactors/whatever as much as possible to avoid the extreme fps crunch you get from building too compact. I have now learned that building out over 10x10x chunks(ok was not that spread out in reality, most was in main tower) was not enough. In the future I might explore the possibility of "satellite builds" to avoid having everything in loading/rendering range at the same time.

Carpenter's Blocks have now become a must have for me. It is simply amazing for so many things. Same goes for Chisel. These were both new mods for me this world and they will definitely be in the next world I make.

So what is to come:
I am currently looking into what to base a new build on. Trying out the TPPI pack(significantly modified however, removing many magic mods, adding some other favourite mods) atm. So far it looks very interesting.

Teaser: I am going to continue with the Sci-fi theme. I have ideas of citadel/walled compound/bunker in a mountainous area with tower(s). Also maybe a underwater and a snow satellite base.

Sorry to see this go, but at least it was awesome!
I am pretty sure I will be back with a new world. :)

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
This build was great, but I can see that you want to let it go, just make sure you start on a new one soon!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
that's one of the big downsides of modded minecraft for me.
it's fun to play, but if you're planning on going on the long run with a map and the mods, you'll always hit that point that the world becomes really hard to play due to all kinds of instabillities with the mods

Reactions: masterzh and rhn

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
This is a build that I tended to watch before I decided to finally drop in and start posting here. This build was amazing, and always had me waiting for the next update. I look forward to your next project :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
New start: 1.6.4 TPPI pack
So after some thought and experimentation I have decided to continue this thread with my newly started world based on 1.6 TPPI(Test Pack Please Ignore).

I am using the pack more or less in its basic form, but making a few changes(so far, more may come later):
Adding:
  • ATG and Highlands for better world gen.
  • Mariculture for the better underwater enviroments.
  • Random Things for all its amazing random things!
Removed(mostly just due to personal taste):
  • Advanced genetics
  • AM2
  • Botania
  • Dartcraft
  • Gendustry
  • HardcoreEnderExpansion
  • Infernal Mobs
  • Morph
  • Witchery

Latest save
https://www.dropbox.com/s/op5fki2ihirld9q/TPPI 161115.rar?dl=0

In the archive you will find the latest save from my server, my config folder from my client and a screenshot of the modsfolder for an overview of all the mods I use and their specific versions(sharing the mods would get into all kinds of rights problems sorry :(, but sure would be easier).
I have no idea if you can get it running on a singleplayer instance again. If you have problems with it, I would probably suggest removing the MFFS forcefield emitters somehow.

I have set up a Beacon in the middle of the spawn area(as well as a Magnum torch, it is a jungle). Follow it to a quick teleport to the base.
Teleport will take you to the Atrium/portal hub where I have left all my armour/tools/items nearby(hint: one of your first order of business might be to get to the ME hub and change the "Player Interface"s to your player ID. This will support the items better).

I recommend using the Soartex Fanver texture pack, as it was what I have built everything up after, but it should be a decent experience even without it.

Good luck getting it running and have fun exploring it you manage it.

Getting started
Progress is probably going to be a bit slower than usual due to the nature of TPPI. So far it seems wonderfully balanced. That does mean that most of the short cuts I have been working my self into are not possible any more(which is a good thing I think), and therefore the early-mid game will probably be a lot longer. Hope this means I will be forced to think more out of the box and try new mods and combinations thereof. But creative building might suffer a bit, at least initially.

So far it is still very early days. Found an ideal location for the build I have in mind and set up basic stuff:
NSEt17C.png

The big cobble circle and the "Building Guide" sphere are so far just me testing out ideas for future builds:
qRL6jhO.png

Inside my little cobble cave the basic conveniences:
pbGGZoH.png

Decided to go for a simple Pulverizer/Redstone furnace and power it with Steam dynamos. To conserve fuel I made a basic CC Computer and used the script I made earlier in the thread:
b1STqEu.png

Script:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-15#post-718973

Also managed to get a Smeltery going for some tools and some IC2/Gregtech stuff mostly for a Gravisuite jetpack:
rUMISVv.png

Power is going back to basics with Generators being fed by Charcoal(supplied by tree farm outside):
HhRpJ9m.png

To conserve fuel I used a bit of redstone circuitry to only feed 1 charcoal into the Generators at the time and only when the MFE is not full.
How: Set MFE(or any other storage) to output RS when full. Timer set to 20s just above MFE(charcoal burns for 20 secs in a generator). NOT-gate inverting the signal. Wires running RS signal off to turn off all the hoppers. When MFE is then not full any more, the timer will start pulsing, and each pulse will let one charcoal through to the generators. Very simple and cheap early game automation.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So, been playing around with building ideas and using the Openblocks Building guides with great results:
U4YULzD.png

Really cool how you can dye them and thereby have several patterns showing at the same time. Here I am using 2 domes and a cylinder.
LMFraEz.png

The main idea I so far plan to go for is to have habitats like these dotted around the hillside(and sticking out of the mountain sides like barnacles kinda) and have them connected by a bunker complex. Probably some train carts to get around faster etc. through the tunnels.

On another note, TPPI uses a custom oregen which puts almost all the stuff in narrow Y-level ranges. This means it is rather easy to go mining manually for specific types of ores/gems, but I found myself constantly browsing through the provided book to figure out where to go. So ended up using the data from the book to make chart for easier overview:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Js1rUdfz6If-6JlmqIJ50hUfk11Vp-dLO3RkiF4h5Gg/edit?usp=sharing
It doesn't contain all the Gregtech ores etc. I simply used the data from the /ores book.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to see this back again. Looking great!

I know this has been asked before, but how do you get that terrain? I tried working with ATG and highlands and all that, but I would seem to spawn in a rainforest or something like that.

Just wondering, why did you remove those mods? I really like some of those, especially Botania.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Glad to see this back again. Looking great!

I know this has been asked before, but how do you get that terrain? I tried working with ATG and highlands and all that, but I would seem to spawn in a rainforest or something like that.

Just wondering, why did you remove those mods? I really some of those, especially Botania.
Terrain:
I do spawn several worlds and fly around a lot(creative or temporarily cheat myself a gravichest for the boosted speed) to look if I like the seed. The world I am in atm I am some 40-50 chunks away from the original spawn. I also modified the ATG configs a tiny bit. I doubled the sizes of the biomes(within their temperature zones), which means that once I get a forest of some kind, that forest covers a large area. This is awful for exploration, but great for building in a less disjointed local area. I hate finding awesome terrain for then to have 5 different colours of grass there for example.
Also the FTB configs for ATG make several changes that should make it a little easier to find different temperature scales to fit your fancy if your current spawn is not to your liking. You simply have to start travelling in one direction and it starts to get hotter or colder.

Mods:
I have nothing against those mods and I consider many of them to be top quality mods. But I am rather in a sci-fi mood atm and all the mystical and spell casting mods are not something I would consider using and would in that case just be bloat. I might change my mind later, in which case I can enable them again.
Some of the mods are specifically there to make mobs/environments harder. I don't play MC as a hack and slash survival game, and those would just add frustration when trying to do what I like, which is building.
And then there is just personal taste in things I find to be OP, counter productive to something I like or simply that I know I will never use. So might as well save the resources by leaving them out.[DOUBLEPOST=1413346095,1413156056][/DOUBLEPOST]So I have been feeling really indecisive recently on what to do on the tech front. I know I have to advance in Gregtech, TE, start Thaumcraft, Make a ME network, look into Mekanism and much more. I just havent felt the spark to really kick of in any one of them in particular.

So I have mostly just been pottering about doing small things and planning/laying down the base structure of the base.

Testing out general structures:
IkfYAwH.png

lUCrpuL.png

So far I think I will use the top-left "habitat" for thaumcraft and the top-right for something similar, but might initially house various tech there temporarily. The lowest one is probably going to be a garden/atrium maybe with bee keeping.

On the tech front I have been generally trying to gather resources for future endeavours. This includes steel from GT Bronze Blast furnaces:
R3Syrm2.png

To properly automate them(Only have one face available for in-output) I decided to get production a favourite of mine set up: Factorization Routers.

Now the Router themselves are easy enough to make, but some of the upgrades requires a bit more work. So had to set up the Crystallizer:
Ua7rkx1.png

Now for some daft reason the heat from the Caliometric Burner cannot run the Crystallizer, so apparently had to go the route of Caliometric Burner (heat)-> Boiler (steam) ->Turbine (Charge) -> Heater (Heat) -> Crystalizer. :confused:

Oh and earlier I posted how I automated my IC2 Generators with redstone signals and hoppers. But I was for a while bewildered why it would only output/machines request power some times. Funny it only started happened after I upgraded to a MFE and then I remembered that Transformers react to redstone signals too:
bKbB8Ku.png

So if anyone want to mimic the setup and are cheap and want to save cables like me, make sure to set the transformers to fixed modes :p

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Great update. I really enjoy reading and watching you progress. Each update feel like you are putting something more then just hours and hours of building/crafting to it.
Believe me or not i am still planning to include similar cylinder/disc like structures on side of my hill too.(mostly for research) I was inspired by Hammond Robotics headquarters from Titanfall.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Going to have dreams about Carpenter's blocks tonight I am sure :p
hvLXpdB.png

ehrYcyq.png

"Just" need to figure out the proper materials and add more details like support columns/struts etc.
Having a bit of a problem with glass and Carpenter's slopes. Nothing really seem to work that well. And ofc connected textures is out of the question. Might just go for good old vanilla glass and maybe some Chisel glass details.

Also managed to set up a decent Mystcraft mining age(Yeah I cheated in the creative page books. I don't fancy spending time cluttering up my HD with random ages. Been there, done that :p). Basically the same setup as last time ( http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...urnal-guide-collection-etc.42664/#post-583100 ), except I went with Floating Islands instead of Spheres.
Ykm0yey.png

Lot less clutter on the ground with no spheres, but the Islands do mean large patches of darkness + Desert = lots of mobs spawning. So probably not the best solution if you don't have flight/good offence/defence.

Started doing some mining with a Mining turtle again(Quarry is a bit out of reach still with GT change). Using the AustinKK script which I actually realised had been updated(ok last update was more than a year ago, but the one I had on my own pastebin was older :p).
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've actaully seen some streamers use collapsible blocks from Carpenter's Blocks to make really smooth curves, heck, one streamer even made it so you could barely even tell there were no curves
but the collapsible blocks are really hard to use, you really need to be used to them to use them like that