rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have been working on rationalizing the Enhanced Portals elevator script a lot and think I finally finished.

I have seperated the code up into a startup script and an API with the core program. Thereby everyone wanting to use it can simply make a copy of the startup code and modify the Touchscreen button text and number of buttons to suit their individual needs. Also great if you have multiple elevators in your world(s). The startup code will then automatically link back to the API on my pastebin site and therefore always use the latest updated version.

Startup script:
http://pastebin.com/kKdbx3Ty

Elevator "API"(You don't need this for anything, just for the curious/judging sloppy code :p ):
http://pastebin.com/1M5sgXpT

More information on how to use can be found in the header of the startup script or in the original post(now updated with this information):
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...nd-guide-collection.42664/page-17#post-722552

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Stuff have been going on in RL, so haven't been able to sit down for longer stints and do any larger building projects the last week or so. But got a few updates:

I have been doing quite a bit of cave exploring (or "spelunking" as some would call it) in order to get more Essence Berry bushes for my Liquid XP production:
Ew408Dc.png

It is slow going, but once in a while I got lucky and found 3-4 of them. Zan's minimap cavemode and Quantum helmet Nightvision helped a LOT!
It is actually good to be out in the world and exploring though, despite it being below ground. Found some surprising new features/additions that I didn't know about.

In previous post where I set up the enchanting area, I showed it featuring a MFR auto-disenchanter.
nid53j2.png

I really wanted to get that automated as previously all enchanted gear dropped in my mob essence farm etc. would just get destroyed. But I ran into a bit of a snag as the ME fuzzy bus' apparently no longer will distinguish between enchanted and unenchanted items(I am certain they used to do this in 1.5). So automatically destroying any unenchanted damaged gear while keeping and disenchanting any enchanted proved a bit problematic.

What I ended up doing was setting up a delayed storage on the deletion method(IC2 recyclers), so that any damaged gear would get stored there for a while before getting destroyed. In that time the Disenchanter can pick out the enchanted items(it will only accept enchanted items, so can simply point a ME Fuzzy Export bus directly at it).
kV5pGVi.png

Once the iron chest is full, the BC gates will activate and completely empty the chest out into the Recyclers and stop again once the chest is empty. So hereby the Iron chest serves as a buffer for the damaged items to get evaluated by the disenchanter, before getting destroyed.

Lastly I promised in the earlier post that I would clean up and put give more detail to the rear "popup terrace":
Jy6IWno.png

CjpuI2m.png

Light, railing and door is controlled by an Entity detector, but added an overwrite(mainly so I could actually get a screenshot from a distance :p).

And as you might spot, I decided to finish the sides of the terrace off with some slopes. Sadly there were no natural places to stop(and it makes it look so damned good), so now I probably have to cover the entire hull in them. Sigh..

Also need to figure out some secondary materials for detailing the hull with. Those Coke Block "tiles"(floor on terrace) might make for some decent heat shielding tiles on leading edges etc.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Stuff have been going on in RL, so haven't been able to sit down for longer stints and do any larger building projects the last week or so. But got a few updates:

I have been doing quite a bit of cave exploring (or "spelunking" as some would call it) in order to get more Essence Berry bushes for my Liquid XP production:
Ew408Dc.png

It is slow going, but once in a while I got lucky and found 3-4 of them. Zan's minimap cavemode and Quantum helmet Nightvision helped a LOT!
It is actually good to be out in the world and exploring though, despite it being below ground. Found some surprising new features/additions that I didn't know about.

In previous post where I set up the enchanting area, I showed it featuring a MFR auto-disenchanter.
nid53j2.png

I really wanted to get that automated as previously all enchanted gear dropped in my mob essence farm etc. would just get destroyed. But I ran into a bit of a snag as the ME fuzzy bus' apparently no longer will distinguish between enchanted and unenchanted items(I am certain they used to do this in 1.5). So automatically destroying any unenchanted damaged gear while keeping and disenchanting any enchanted proved a bit problematic.

What I ended up doing was setting up a delayed storage on the deletion method(IC2 recyclers), so that any damaged gear would get stored there for a while before getting destroyed. In that time the Disenchanter can pick out the enchanted items(it will only accept enchanted items, so can simply point a ME Fuzzy Export bus directly at it).
kV5pGVi.png

Once the iron chest is full, the BC gates will activate and completely empty the chest out into the Recyclers and stop again once the chest is empty. So hereby the Iron chest serves as a buffer for the damaged items to get evaluated by the disenchanter, before getting destroyed.

Lastly I promised in the earlier post that I would clean up and put give more detail to the rear "popup terrace":
Jy6IWno.png

CjpuI2m.png

Light, railing and door is controlled by an Entity detector, but added an overwrite(mainly so I could actually get a screenshot from a distance :p).

And as you might spot, I decided to finish the sides of the terrace off with some slopes. Sadly there were no natural places to stop(and it makes it look so damned good), so now I probably have to cover the entire hull in them. Sigh..

Also need to figure out some secondary materials for detailing the hull with. Those Coke Block "tiles"(floor on terrace) might make for some decent heat shielding tiles on leading edges etc.
If you put unenchanted item in the auto disenchenter it falls in the output slot directly

Reactions: Tompa974

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you put unenchanted item in the auto disenchenter it falls in the output slot directly
Very good point, if you manually put in items. But it is(or seems by my experimentation) impossible to pipe/duct/hopper non-enchanted items into the disenchanter. I made sure to check this so I didn't end up with items going in infinite loops draining tons of power.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Very good point, if you manually put in items. But it is(or seems by my experimentation) impossible to pipe/duct/hopper non-enchanted items into the disenchanter. I made sure to check this so I didn't end up with items going in infinite loops draining tons of power.
I've seen sl1pg8r do it with me on the monster let's play

Reactions: pc_assassin

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I've seen sl1pg8r do it with me on the monster let's play
Dunno. Setup work fine for me. Unenchanted items will not go into the Disenchanter, which is exactly what I want. They stay put in the temporary storage chest.

Different MFR versions, configs or something maybe? :confused:

Reactions: madnewmy

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno. Setup work fine for me. Unenchanted items will not go into the Disenchanter, which is exactly what I want. They stay put in the temporary storage chest.

Different MFR versions, configs or something maybe? :confused:
No idea :) as long your problem is fixed :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Looking awesome as usual. I really try to make my builds look good but I dont think I will ever reach this level. I just dont know how you do it. And I will definitely never be able to do all of this complicated computer craft stuff. You sir, are a master. But I couldnt play in short view distance, it kills me inside that I have to downgrade to normal. What point is there in an overworld if you cant see it?

I wouldnt want to even think about placing that many slopes. Did you know that if you hold sneak and scroll the mouse wheel while theres a slope in your hand, it will change shape? Probably, its easy to accidentally discover that.

Reactions: rhn and masterzh

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I wouldnt want to even think about placing that many slopes. Did you know that if you hold sneak and scroll the mouse wheel while theres a slope in your hand, it will change shape? Probably, its easy to accidentally discover that.
OMG thank you!
I did notice on some occasions that a stack of slopes changed to a specific type and I had to place them all and break them to make them back into the normal kind. But I had no clue how it happened. Been looking for a way to easy the placement of the slopes for a long time, and it drove me nuts that you couldn't reverse the order of which you toggles through them with the hammer.

Reactions: epidemia78

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
But I couldnt play in short view distance, it kills me inside that I have to downgrade to normal. What point is there in an overworld if you cant see it?
It is not that I use it all the time. Only when working inside say a closed of lab or something for long periods of time. If I am out and about where I can look out windows or down long corridors then I use Far view distance or a compromise of Normal.

But for those several hours on end inside the same room with no windows fiddling with microblocks and slopes, I take the extra performance I can get :p

Take for example this view down one of my longest corridors:
Jh2Fa6D.png

That is taken with Short view distance :p

It is only if I go to my bee farm area that I actually have to increase to Short+32(possible with optifine), but that still covers everything actually lol :p

Reactions: Pyure

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I totally understand. I want to play with far render distance because my current world is so pretty and I usually go with a town-like base design where Im outside a lot. But theres a lot of drawbacks to playing like that. Next time I start a new world I am planning to just generate a vanilla map, build wherever is handy and not worry about the outside scenery at all. Or maybe I could somehow use MFFS or AE to transport a big chunk of nice looking terrain into a void age. That would be neat.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah I totally understand. I want to play with far render distance because my current world is so pretty and I usually go with a town-like base design where Im outside a lot. But theres a lot of drawbacks to playing like that. Next time I start a new world I am planning to just generate a vanilla map, build wherever is handy and not worry about the outside scenery at all. Or maybe I could somehow use MFFS or AE to transport a big chunk of nice looking terrain into a void age. That would be neat.
Must admit that I am missing the landscape around my base a lot in this build. The distance from land is just enough for Far rendering to get parts of the shore/mountains surrounding the water, but the main drawback is how hard it has been to build anything with a downward facing view so far. It is a thing that have been high up on the todo list for solving for a while.

Also there seems to have been some change made in 1.5->1.6. Earlier I was sure that the game always loaded the entire vertical chunk and rendered it. Now I can stay up in my base and it will not have loaded/rendered the water/land below. Had I know that I probably would have placed the base a little differently.

For my next build/world I think I will go back to a surface/underground complex, hopefully in some landscape with a stunning view I can exploit. Maybe for 1.7 :p

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok fiddled around with some Optifine chunkloading settings and I guess this isn't half bad:
8cABJ52.png

Just need to put in more opportunities to see it I guess.

Reactions: madnewmy and Pyure

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Is there an area on the bottom of the ship you could build a glass dome just for the view?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there an area on the bottom of the ship you could build a glass dome just for the view?
Not any good places in particular as it is now. I toyed with that idea myself along with the "floating swimming pool" (yeah I watched Oblivion too :p).

Problem is that I sort of designated all the lower levels of the ship to all the gritty and industrial stuff :p.
I do have a couple of floors still free at the bottom of the "tower" that is an empty shell atm. Might be able to do something with that.

Reactions: Padfoote

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Not any good places in particular as it is now. I toyed with that idea myself along with the "floating swimming pool" (yeah I watched Oblivion too :p).

Problem is that I sort of designated all the lower levels of the ship to all the gritty and industrial stuff :p.
I do have a couple of floors still free at the bottom of the "tower" that is an empty shell atm. Might be able to do something with that.
This guy's so rich, he has a pool inside his pool!

Reactions: rhn and pizzawolf14

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Must admit that I am missing the landscape around my base a lot in this build. The distance from land is just enough for Far rendering to get parts of the shore/mountains surrounding the water, but the main drawback is how hard it has been to build anything with a downward facing view so far. It is a thing that have been high up on the todo list for solving for a while.

Also there seems to have been some change made in 1.5->1.6. Earlier I was sure that the game always loaded the entire vertical chunk and rendered it. Now I can stay up in my base and it will not have loaded/rendered the water/land below. Had I know that I probably would have placed the base a little differently.

For my next build/world I think I will go back to a surface/underground complex, hopefully in some landscape with a stunning view I can exploit. Maybe for 1.7 :p
I also noticed this change as i have custom made terrain with huge height differences and even structures up to 200 blocks. Disabling smooth lighting is must with thousands of slopes and microblocks around.
Hopefully with upcoming 1.8 feature "frustum culling" (disables the renderers for objects that are outside the camera’s viewing area) we will get back to full 60FPS with all the fancy graphic and impressive view distance.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Disabling smooth lighting is must with thousands of slopes and microblocks around.
I don't personally see a performance difference when disabling smooth lighting, so I still got it on Minimum for the visual effect.